Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offsides call technically illegal formation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Offsides call technically illegal formation

Dec 7, 2015, 10:32 AM
image.jpeg(138.5 K)

I know people have posted this rule before but this is a good image of why the flag was thrown. All players must be between the nine yard marks when the officials blow the whistle. Clearly they are not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offsides call technically illegal formation

Dec 7, 2015, 10:34 AM

DMD: What does between the 9 yard marks mean? Tiger fan here and I just want to know what is illegal?

Dec 7, 2015, 10:41 AM

Page FR-33

Nine-Yard Marks
ARTICLE 8. Nine-yard marks 12 inches in length, every 10 yards, shall be located nine yards from the sidelines. They are not required if the field is numbered according to Rule 1-2-1-i.

Page FR-63

Free Kick Formation

ARTICLE 2.

a. A ball from a free kick formation must be kicked legally and from some point on Team A’s restraining line (Exception: Rule 6-1-2-c-4) and on or between the hash marks. The referee will declare the ball ready for play when the officials are in position after the kicker has received the ball. After the ball is ready for play and for any reason falls from the tee, Team A shall not kick the ball and the official shall sound his whistle immediately.

b. After the ball has been made ready for play all players on the kicking team except the kicker must be no more than five yards behind their restraining line. A player satisfies this rule when one foot is on or beyond the line five yards behind the restraining line. If one player is more than five yards behind the restraining line and any other player kicks the ball, it is a foul. (A.R. 6-1-2-VII)

c. When the ball is kicked (A.R. 6-1-2-I-IV):

1. Each Team A player, except the holder and kicker of a place kick, must be behind the ball (A.R. 6-1-2-V) [S18].
2. All Team A players must be inbounds [S19].
3. At least four Team A players must be on each side of the kicker [S19].(AR 6-1-2-II-IV)
4. After a safety, when a punt or drop kick is used, the ball may be kicked from behind the kicking team’s restraining line. If a yardage penalty for a live-ball foul is enforced from the previous spot, administration is from the 20-yard line, unless the kicking team’s restraining line has been relocated by a previous penalty [S18 or appropriate signal].
5. All players of Team A must have been between the nine-yard marks after the ready-for-play signal [S19].

PENALTY [a-c5]—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot, or five yards from the spot where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team B, or from the spot where the ball is placed after a touchback [S18 or S19] (A.R. 6-1-2-VI).

I'm not following the rule....

Dec 7, 2015, 10:55 AM

most fields don't even have the hash marks outside the numerals. Are the numerals nine yards for the sideline in college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I'm not following the rule....

Dec 7, 2015, 11:07 AM

Incorrect most fields have them marker per say. Their numbers are normally where the 9 yard marker would be.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2015, 11:09 AM

If you look at how the field numbers are marked they are further in than normal since they just used the markers from the NFL fields. If you go look at college stadiums their Number markings are where that 9 yard threshold is.

In college...

Dec 7, 2015, 11:10 AM

the top of the numbers are 9 yards from the sidelines.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In college...

Dec 7, 2015, 11:14 AM

incorrect..

http://www.trumarkathletics.com/football-field-layout-dimensions.aspx

Message was edited by: Clemsonhitter®

Re: In college...

Dec 7, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to In college... ]

That is why they use the NUMBERS as the 9 yard marker for the Refs to see If not they will have those Staked hashes..

Dec 7, 2015, 11:10 AM [ in reply to I'm not following the rule.... ]

I am guessing the field did not meet the exception stated.

Nine-Yard Marks
ARTICLE 8. Nine-yard marks 12 inches in length, every 10 yards, shall be located nine yards from the sidelines. They are not required if the field is numbered according to Rule 1-2-1-i.

Rule1-2-1-i
White field yard-line numbers not larger than 6 feet in height and 4 feet in width,
with the tops of the numbers nine yards from the sidelines, are recommended.

Dec 7, 2015, 11:12 AM [ in reply to I'm not following the rule.... ]

See this is the Georgia Dome.. Look at the field.. See the NFL yard markers.. now look outside those you will see the 9 yard marker. ;) Its because it was at an nfl stadium you see the 9 yard hash mark..

The kicking team is outside those 9 yard hashes***

Dec 7, 2015, 11:22 AM

Re: The kicking team is outside those 9 yard hashes***

Dec 7, 2015, 11:26 AM

exactly that's the penalty...BEFORE THE READY PLAY WHISTLE you have to be INSIDE those hashes.. when the whistle is blown you CAN MOVE.. They were outside the hashes BEFORE the whistle.. that's why the flag was thrown..

Dec 7, 2015, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Offsides call technically illegal formation ]

It's a mark on the field 9 yards from the end line. All players must be within the hash marks on the field.

Dec 7, 2015, 10:47 AM

You can really see it from the UNC side but I bet the far UNC player on the Clemson side is between the nine-yard mark and sideline too.

That doesn't fit with the ACCs statement though.

Dec 7, 2015, 10:50 AM

They said the official was positioned correctly and saw a UNC player break the plane of the 35 yard line.

The ACC already released a statement saying this was not

Dec 7, 2015, 10:55 AM

what happened. They said the official saw a regular offsides and called it. Now, I think video evidence proves that the official was wrong or that it was too close to call, but that's another discussion entirely.

Here is the ACC statement:

“Offsides is not a reviewable play. Dennis Hennigan [ACC director of officiating] said that mechanically the officials were in the correct position. The rule as it relates to to an onside kick that the 35-yard line is treated as a plane and if any part of a player breaks that plane before the ball is kicked it’s offsides. The officials saw a member of the kicking team break the plane before the ball was kicked.”

Re: The ACC already released a statement saying this was not

Dec 7, 2015, 11:04 AM

I'm not gonna parse words but that is generic and from a news article about the statement made by the ACC and that statement is not 'official'. Wait it out and see what comes after they do their full review. Shoot me up if you want but I bet that 'statement' was not a result of asking the ref who called it. How many times do we hear wrong player numbers called or the type of infraction called. It doesn't mean there wasn't an infraction and the good thing is that the formation is clearly an infraction.

Looks like two goats are outside the hash on the opposite

Dec 7, 2015, 11:09 AM

side as well.

Furthermore, the ref threw the flag right when the ball was kicked. So, he saw something wrong.

Was angry yesterday when my UNC-fan pastor claimed Clemson cheated. He said it jokingly, but I believe he believed it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic