Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The myth of the SEC's strength of schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

The myth of the SEC's strength of schedule

Nov 14, 2018, 10:39 AM

Theory: SEC is good because they play each other.

Let's look at their record so far vs. other Power 5 conference opponents:

Wins:
Texas Tech (middle of the pack B12 team)
Washington (fizzled out fast)
Louisville (nothing needs to be said here)
Miami (da U is not back)
Kansas State (they may fire their legendary coach)
Purdue (beating Ohio State .. what does that mean ?)

Losses:
West Virginia (top 10 team)
Clemson (top 10 team)
Notre Dame (top 10 team)

Games left:
Florida State (see Louisville above)
Georgia Tech (bogged down in ACC Coastal mediocrity)
Louisville (see Florida State above)

So who have they beaten out of conference that warrants such praise for SOS ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you have to give some credit for wins over

Nov 14, 2018, 10:49 AM

Purdue by Mizzou.
TTech by Ole Miss
Auburn over Wash.

Mizzou is lower in the SEC than Purdue in the B1G. Ole Miss is much lower than TTech. Aub and Wash are at about the same level in their respective divisions.

All in all, it's like most years the SEC is crowned kings of all college football creation. They're better, but only by a skoche.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sos is 100% subjective

Nov 14, 2018, 10:55 AM

and if we didn't have rankings they wouldn't matter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The myth of the SEC's strength of schedule

Nov 14, 2018, 11:02 AM

Well, you could argue that LSU beat the swagger out of Miami's entire season. That drumming likely cause their current 5-5ing. Then again, you could also point to the ACCCG too....

Loserville... Alabama is good at ending the tenure of an established coach in the early OOC game. Sure the actual firing comes later but that is the first contact. Case in point: Loserville 2018, FSU (2017), VaTech 2013-delayed but VT folks point to that game as ending Beamer, Penn State 2011 (with Pedo help), Clemson 2009....

I think the games left are going to prove their point. You can't claim to be a good conference unless you dominate your instate rivals. With Clemson being the only favorite, this could be bad for the ACC getting blown out. I have some hope for GT but not much. I think the UK vs Loserville is going to look like a basketball score vs a soccer draw. 64-0.

It isn't that they have beaten good teams, they have not LOST to bad teams. The SEC is just treading water when everyone else is sinking.

Where is their ODU. Where is their FSU (UT is looking better now). LSU did not lose to a Troy (again). Heck, their bottom-dweller at least beat the Purdue while our "challenger to the Atlantic" lost. They don't have "Pitt" losing to everyone and then winning the division. That would be Arky winning the SEC West. Our doormats beat the good teams. The SEC tends to have their doormats being doormats (example: South Carolina)... ours finish second and sometimes win it all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you done a similiar P5 OOC analysis of the ACC?

Nov 14, 2018, 11:04 AM

Because it ain't that pretty this year.

Wins:
Texas A&M (middle of the pack SEC team)
Northwestern (good B10 team, thanks Duke!)
Baylor (horrible B12 team, thanks Duke!)

Losses:
California (below average P12 team)
Indiana (bottom of the B10 team)
*Purdue (middle of the pack B10 team)
*Penn State (above average B10 team)
*Notre Dame X 4 (top 10 team)
*Alabama (top 10 SEC team)
*LSU (top 20 SEC team)

Not to Mention these G5 losses:
Old Dominion
USF
*UCF
*ECU

* Blowout losses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Have you done a similiar P5 OOC analysis of the ACC?

Nov 14, 2018, 11:12 AM

You know it is bad when we have to thank Duke. Sigh.

Oh and that ECU one is a 3-peat for the Pirates over the University of No Classes. I mean that IF you are going to have decades of academic fraud, at least beat the "party school" that you look down your nose at... but Chapel Nill can't even do that right.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

North Texas = SEC Old Dominion Loss

Nov 14, 2018, 12:14 PM

Sorry! Ye-ole-mighty SEC team lost pretty convincingly to North Texas! To the Green Machine 44-13 I believe. The same team APP ST. beat.

And very hard to have OOC losses when you have:

UGA - Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee St, Umass
Kentucky - Central Michigan in a close win 35-20(gm was closer), Murray St, Play MTSU next.
Florida - Charleston Southern, Colorado St and the vandals this weekend(Idaho).
LSU - Miami (as said how good a win was it really), SE-LA, La.Tech(38-21), Rice Owls next(who).
A&M - NW St, ULM, UAB this weekend. They were brave enough to play mighty Clemson!
Auburn - Washington win on neutral field not as impressive, Ala. St, S. Miss(Charlotte beat them), Liberty is up next!
Miss St- S.F. Austin, K-state, ULL, LTech
Bamer - Loserville(really), Ark St, Ull and have The Citadel next.
Arkansas - North Texas(L), Colorado St, Tulsa.

Not saying they are a bad conference - but look at the out of conference "POWERS" they were measured against! LOL! Louisville is nothing this year. Same with Miami. IN THE ACC let alone another conference. I.E. ACC schools are beating these two just like SEC schools did. If they were dominant over here the narrative might be different; but they aren't. They stink everywhere against everybody; so they gain no ground there in my opinion.

Then they beat up on each other - so what? How good are they really? You can't really tell - unless you buy what SEC - PN is selling!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The $EC plays a incredibly weak OOC schedule every year...

Nov 14, 2018, 12:19 PM

and then tries to rationalize or justify it by arguing that it's because the conference schedule is so difficult.

What a complete load !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The $EC plays a incredibly weak OOC schedule every year...

Nov 14, 2018, 12:38 PM

Yep!

You can tell there are those on "this board" who have drank the kool aid regarding the SEC as a whole. Is Bamer that good: Absolutely! But, to give everybody else credit b/c bamer is good makes zero sense. The ACC has had two separate school become national champions in the last 10 years just like the SEC( Fla. St. & Clemson and Bamer & Auburn). Clemson or Fla. st have made the playoffs each year so far!

Go Big 10 for that matter why don't you! Plenty of viewership dollars interested in them. It all comes down to advertising dollars. ND, Big 10 schools have strong foot holes in large TV markets(Chicago, Detroit, Columbus and greater Ohio, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Washington D.C.). They get complaints/emails/letters/calls about why aren't you covering these schools more from more people and apparently mean - "It Means More There"! No, their football teams aren't that good and rightfully so, you don't talk about them as much.

The SEC puts more players in the NFL - but guess who is 2nd? Sorry all the SEC lovers who's narrative is incompotent conference - "it's the ACC"! People get programmed daily with College football live about the same 7-8 teams.

More Proof!

Nov 14, 2018, 1:08 PM

More proof! Look at how they try to "almost giddy-like" proclaim Texas and Miami "are back"! They want to proclaim Michigan back but "know they have gotten lucky"!

I mean, if Texas beats SF Austin, a down P5 team, then ULL the college football talking heads are ready to all but proclaim them national champions! <- - - large tv market influence maybe IDK.

Same with Miami. <- - - - Herbstreit is so ready to throw up a U; so he can remember the glory days of them being dominant. Mark Richt was supposed to solve all that; but maybe he was the problem at Georgia after all! Miami isn't hurting for good players after all as their recruiting hasn't suffered due to a lack of playoff appearances. Or losing or average records.

The point being - you have to take what the ESPN and college football analyst on any of those shows and really examine it. Are they saying what the "majority" want to hear? By majority I mean, "the majority of people who are passionate enough to complain/whine" if you don't talk about their team enough. They say: "it means more"!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic