Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: NFL draft analyst thinks Deon Cain is 'undervalued'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: NFL draft analyst thinks Deon Cain is 'undervalued'

Feb 27, 2018, 10:51 AM

NFL draft analyst thinks Deon Cain is 'undervalued'

One member of 'WRU' might be getting overlooked this draft class. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock believes that former Clemson receiver Deon Cain could be a dia Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very talented guy - think only 3 yrs @ WR. QB in HS?***

Feb 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very talented guy - think only 3 yrs @ WR. QB in HS?***

Feb 27, 2018, 12:52 PM

What would have Dion Cain's receiving yards been like with DW4 throwing the ball to him without Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, or Jordan Leggett. I believe that he surly would have had over a 1000 yards. And I don't think that Mayock or anyone else would be talking about how undervalued Dion maybe in this years draft. With DW4, we had a passing QB with an accurate down field arm that could throw the ball between two defenders and put the ball in his receivers hands time after time. Last season Dion didn't have that type of QB but, I would have loved seeing DW4 as the one throwing Dion the ball last season. I'm thinking there would have been a lot of high lite catches with those two without Mike being his main target last season. It makes a huge difference when a receiver has no doubt that his QB will get him the ball where ever he is on the field!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, he benefitted from having Williams, Leggett,

Feb 27, 2018, 1:13 PM

and those other guys on the field with him. The defense had to respect those guys more and Cain was able to take the top off the D and find some holes in it. I'm on the fence about what kind of pro he will be, but, make no mistake, he's no Williams, Watkins, or Hopkins, and probably not in the same realm as Martavis Bryant.

Re: Actually, he benefitted from having Williams, Leggett,

Feb 27, 2018, 6:02 PM

I agree with ya, but do you think that is bc Deon was behind Mike, Artavis, and Leggett!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I understand the question. Is what because

Feb 28, 2018, 1:13 PM

he was behind Scott, Williams, and Leggett? I'm simply debunking the notion he was hurt by those guys being on the field with him or being in front of him. He got plenty of PT and made a lot of plays but he benefitted from being on the field with that much talent because the D had to respect everything and it opened up opportunities for him to get open. He has talent, no question. I just don't believe he'd have had astronomical numbers if those guys hadn't been on the team. He'd have seen a lot of double coverage, cover 2, etc.

He won't make plays with just his speed in the NFL. He'll have to be able to create separation, high point the ball, catch the ball, be willing to sacrifice his body, and all those other clichés we hear all the time.

Feb 28, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Actually, he benefitted from having Williams, Leggett, ]

Of course he's no Williams or Bryant, both of those guys are 6'5" while Cain is 6'1". Cain played out of position all year, he's not a 9 spot receiver physically.

He'll get drafted and play slot/outside opposite the big body receivers and thrive.

You have to keep in mind he had not played receiver until he got to Clemson, so 3 years in to the position and he'll get drafted.

I never implied he won't be drafted, and I'm not

Feb 28, 2018, 1:00 PM

talking about his measurables. I'm more concerned with his 'want to'. Bryant has the measurables to overcome the brain farts. I'm not sure Cain has that luxury. I wish the young man all the luck in the world. But I have concerns about him leaving early, and I'm not alone in that assessment.

Re: I never implied he won't be drafted, and I'm not

Feb 28, 2018, 2:18 PM

If you're comparing him to those receivers you have to include measureables. Especially if it's concerning "want to" in the "go up and get it" situations.

Being 6'5" as Williams/Bryant were lends to a greater success rate on those types of passes instead of being 6'1".

Why should you have concerns about him leaving early? He'll be fine.

I don't have to include measurables in the assessment of

Feb 28, 2018, 3:47 PM

'want to'. That's nonsense. Laying out for a ball, or looking a ball all the way in, has nothing to do with heart or desire to be the best. Antonio Brown is only 5'10". Again, I wish him all the best. I hope he lights it up, and that's the truth. I just have a wait and see attitude about it.

Feb 28, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Actually, he benefitted from having Williams, Leggett, ]

And he should have stayed for another year. When you have 3 of the hardest years of your athletic career out of the way, why don't these guys come back and reap the benefits of their final year where it just gets easier!!! Makes no sense to leave when your own stats tell you that you should come back and improve those stats without it being mentioned how many balls they dropped in their final year in college ball!!!

Feb 28, 2018, 2:16 PM

How many balls did he drop? There are no actual stats without going back and watching the film of all games.

He is a good talent and will do just fine, he should come back why?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him come back and play opposite of Higgins with Rogers in the slot. That would be tremendous, but it's not going to kill us that he's gone.

I mean he didn't seem to have a huge drop problem his first two years, and the main variable that changed after the first two was the QB/our offensive style. Soooo...as that doesn't seem it will change for the time being why not get paid after showing out at the combine?

Not to mention that stat that is most important for him is the 40 time he's gonna run at the combine, that alone will get him drafted.

Re: Very talented guy - think only 3 yrs @ WR. QB in HS?***

Feb 27, 2018, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Very talented guy - think only 3 yrs @ WR. QB in HS?*** ]

No better than he had this year. You have to want the ball

Too many dropped balls***

Feb 27, 2018, 12:23 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what people said about Bryant too***

Feb 27, 2018, 12:53 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's what people said about Bryant too***

Feb 27, 2018, 2:30 PM

If only he could learn how to drop the blunts, he'd be in good shape :)

Re: Too many dropped balls***

Feb 27, 2018, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Too many dropped balls*** ]

That is what I remember most. Definitely not Mike Williams. In the NFL . .who knows? Many top receivers just don't make it, and a guy most haven't heard about makes it big. The ball is slightly larger, maybe hurts some, maybe helps some?

Re: TNET: NFL draft analyst thinks Deon Cain is 'undervalued'

Feb 27, 2018, 12:37 PM

He has potential to be a #1 or #2 guy, he just has to put in the effort. Seemed like an underperformer for us.

Feb 27, 2018, 7:55 PM

Hope he's right, but Cain's speed is not his weakness, it's catching the ball. Wish him well at the combine.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2018, 10:03 AM

He had some drops (so did Williams - Auburn game), but he also made some spectacular catches as well.

Teams look for speed first, you can fix hands.

Feb 28, 2018, 11:17 AM

He does have plenty of speed. I have been amazed at how he was able to run, what looked to me, faster than Feaster. I hope he does well, but he must catch the balls thrown his way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic