Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not sure if posted yet, draft assessments - Bryant 5th rd
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Not sure if posted yet, draft assessments - Bryant 5th rd

Aug 1, 2018, 3:52 PM

I was a bit surprised that Paulino assesses Kelly a 5th rounder, says he's underrated.

http://draftanalyst.com/scouting-acc-clemson-0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

16 players drafted?

Aug 1, 2018, 4:08 PM

Wonder what the record is?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 16 players drafted?

Aug 1, 2018, 4:16 PM

Wonder what the record is?

LOL. Was posting the exact same thing.

I know Miami has the record for first-rounders with 6, in 2004, but they only had 9 total picks that year...six in the first, three in the seventh round.

We'll almost certainly beat that 2004 Hurricanes squad in terms of numbers, anyhow.

Ohio State did have a pretty epic draft in 2016 - twelve guys drafted, all of them in the first four rounds.

Still am uncertain who's got the record.

Re: Not sure if posted yet, draft assessments - Bryant 5th rd

Aug 1, 2018, 4:11 PM

I know that's just one guy's opinion...but whoa.

If he's right, Clemson could see sixteen - 16! - guys drafted off this year's squad, and as many as five of them in the first round.

Would that be the record?

Aug 1, 2018, 4:56 PM

"Next level arm"
Many would disagree on here but I believe that is correct. Just has to be more accurate down field.

Aug 1, 2018, 5:52 PM

Don't know how you can be a pro without bring able to throw a crossing route.

I'm sure I'm wrong.

Aug 1, 2018, 6:00 PM

Threw a nice crossing route to Higgins against the coots, but you probably know that already.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: crossing route to Higgins

Aug 1, 2018, 8:29 PM

How would i know that? Oh, i get it: in our spring game, i saw HJ throw a hot read to a receiver on a crossing route, and i actually recognized it as a rarely-seen crossing route. How would i know that if i weren't a Coot-lover????

If that's not your logic, i apologize. But if it is, you're an idiot and an ignorant fan and an embarrassment to this board.

We used to run them when DW4 played, but not with KB, because he can't complete them.

And no, what Tee Higgins ran against SouKarliner was a deep slant, where you go straight downfield 10 yards, then break in at a 45-degree angle. It was my best route in HS, but nobody cares. I just wanted to illustrate that i know the difference between that and a CROSSING route, where a receiver crosses much of the formation at a much flatter angle. Renfrow, Leggett and Cain used them to catch defenses by surprise with DW4 throwing to them.
Ridley used one to score against us in the CFP.
Pretty sure our OCs took them out of the playbook last year.
Only time i saw KB complete one was not by design, when he scrambled right and Cain went right with him. While scrambling, KB made a beautiful athletic throw, just like the one Cain dropped vs Bama. But i don't recall who the completion was against.

Does that make me a Coot, or Dawg, or Paladin?

Aug 1, 2018, 8:34 PM

Why would you include crossing routes in an offense with a QB with a tendency to hang onto the ball too long and overthrow passes?

Re: why would you include

Aug 2, 2018, 1:27 AM

That's my point, and i agree with your observation. They had to take crossing routes out of the playbook last year.

But they are a deadly weapon with the right personnel

Aug 1, 2018, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: crossing route to Higgins ]

Deep slant or called a post (post route). I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ just throwing another name out there. Different ppl call same routes different names just depends on the person or coach.

Aug 2, 2018, 1:19 AM

Specific terms are not universal, you're right. But general terms are, because many times rules are associated with a collective type of play.
The post is usually run from the outer position, and the angle of the break is generally "toward the goalpost(that term was coined back when the goalposts were on the goal line)". The deep slant or 'skinny post' is what Higgins ran from the inside position. The important aspect, though, is that in both routes the receiver uses an inside break to gain body position on the DB. Once he makes his break, the entire center of the field is open unless the Safety comes over to help.
That's why I've always said, KB will have a lot more freedom to throw those deeper routes if he can learn to identify where the Safetys are and who they are helping.

Neither of those routes is ever confused with a crossing route, where the TE or inside receiver crosses the field laterally, traversing several zones or attempting to 'pick off' his coverage guy in man coverage.

Or like Ridley did against us, simply outrun the LB who can't keep up with you on your 30-yard trek across the end zone. O'Daniel is a great coverage guy, but keeping up with Calvin Ridley for 7 seconds is too much to ask.

Aug 2, 2018, 8:21 AM

Totally agree. Great in depth post. Tu. I enjoy talking football like this with ppl that know x's and o's. Not claiming to be an expert but I feel I do have a good understanding of the game and also played in my younger years

That's not what you said 2 hours ago

Aug 1, 2018, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Not sure if posted yet, draft assessments - Bryant 5th rd ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-He-struggles-to-make-any-read-even-in-the-run-game-and-he-23794996

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not what you said 2 hours ago

Aug 1, 2018, 8:41 PM

I agree with this list for the most part but Mitch in the 4th round is extremely low I see him as a late 1st early day two selection. Wouldn’t be surprised if Falcinell snuck into the later rounds either. Also think Simmons isn’t a 2-3 round guy after this year, no doubt he is a freak but I definitely think if he stays all 4 years he will be a 1-2 round guy.

Go Tigers!

Re: That's not what you said 2 hours ago

Aug 2, 2018, 8:32 AM [ in reply to That's not what you said 2 hours ago ]

From watching last year he is not an NFL QB imo. That does not mean he doesn't have an NFL arm. Maybe you think there is no difference though.

Aug 1, 2018, 8:31 PM

No chance unless he has come a long way this Summer.

How come Simmons redshirted his freshman

Aug 1, 2018, 11:58 PM

Year? Would be really disappointing if he leaves after only playing 2 years on the field. Simmons is the freakiest freak of freaks. If that makes sense. Go back and watch some old games from last season. Insane he wasn’t a 5 star and didn’t play as a true feshman (unless he was injured)

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic