Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 109
| visibility 1

Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band

Sep 11, 2017, 12:09 PM

Playing style, formation discipline in the stands, wearing full uniforms for a national televised night game.............. There was a great and noticeable difference instantly and at all points throughout the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band

Sep 11, 2017, 12:10 PM

Totally agree

The last area the SEC has a leg up on us

Sep 11, 2017, 12:10 PM

is in the bands. Once we change that, it will be true domination!

I took no notice at all... are we really talking about bands***

Sep 11, 2017, 12:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I took no notice at all... are we really talking about bands***

Sep 11, 2017, 1:59 PM

Yep they're complaining about literally EVERYTHING. From Dabo standing front of the players before the hill run, how long they take to run down and even the phone light thing being weak or "lame" ... Next they're gonna complain we wear too much orange ...

Your pulse is dropping faster than a USuC girl's

Sep 11, 2017, 2:05 PM

panties by a Shop Road empty warehouse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Go on.***

Sep 11, 2017, 2:06 PM

Re: Your pulse is dropping faster than a USuC girl's

Sep 11, 2017, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Your pulse is dropping faster than a USuC girl's ]

LOL You notice that too huh? I don't care though it shouldn't be that big of a deal... I have no idea why it's dropping I'm still gonna post whatever I want... You have to sack ride and kiss tail to be liked on here, that's something I'm not gonna do.

Just like the guy telling me to "Go away" what warrants you to say that?

Please provide a list and pigs of the sacks and tails.

Sep 11, 2017, 4:38 PM

signed, cutigerbob®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 12, 2017, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: I took no notice at all... are we really talking about bands*** ]

People are pretty dumb in general. That's why I make sure to give my guys a good cussing everyday before work commences.

You knew he has to complain about something, anything.

Sep 11, 2017, 4:06 PM [ in reply to I took no notice at all... are we really talking about bands*** ]

Tiger band does a great job!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at the replay of the game.***

Sep 11, 2017, 4:31 PM

Sep 11, 2017, 9:09 PM [ in reply to I took no notice at all... are we really talking about bands*** ]

Same , they're a pleasant distraction and filler noise at halftime . I know when to go back to my seat by listening to the horns fade.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Auburn, like Bama, has a Music Department, with scholarships. They invest

Sep 11, 2017, 12:15 PM

money in their band. Ours is pretty much volunteers with some scholarships provided by fund raising.

Bama's is called The Million Dollar Band for a reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yep. Major difference.***

Sep 11, 2017, 12:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see what you did there

Sep 11, 2017, 2:00 PM

"Music Majors" good one

All fair points and I do love our band but I was

Sep 11, 2017, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Auburn, like Bama, has a Music Department, with scholarships. They invest ]

surprised to see they weren't wearing their traditional uniforms on Saturday.

null

Was not a good look. On another message board for

Sep 11, 2017, 12:33 PM

SEC fans and one asked why Clemson band was dressed like Mario Brothers and what were they trying to do with the horns while playing.

If sec fans are focusing in on the bands and not the bigger picture...

Sep 11, 2017, 3:11 PM

THE ACTUAL FOOTBALL GAME...

That conference is in worse shape than I thought.

~JKB

Take a look at SEC bands and you will see they do care about

Sep 11, 2017, 4:00 PM

that. They'd call out their band in a heartbeat if they saw a mess like that representing. If you're going to do something do it the best you can instead of excuses like

"We don't have a music school"
"IPTAY controls the band uniforms"
"DO you ##### about everything, can't you just accept half-ass once in your life."

None of those excuses are good for wearing half your uniform, not even standing in formation, baseball caps, maybe that is the headgear, etc..

Re: Take a look at SEC bands and you will see they do care about

Sep 11, 2017, 5:10 PM

I think you successfully responded to 9 posts in this thread and said the same thing in everyone of them, good job!

Ask Nebraska about wearing full uniforms in the stands

Sep 11, 2017, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Take a look at SEC bands and you will see they do care about ]

You clearly have never marched.

Over a dozen kids at Nebraska had to be hospitalized and another died a few years ago due to heat stroke in cool, fall weather because those uniforms are really freaking hot.

Just shut up man, you know nothing about our band.

They were wearing their uniforms. They take the jackets off

Sep 11, 2017, 2:00 PM [ in reply to All fair points and I do love our band but I was ]

while in the stands.

I get your point, though.

Then they need new uniforms. Those were hideous.***

Sep 11, 2017, 2:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

IPTAY controls that***

Sep 11, 2017, 3:18 PM

Not a good look, and why buy jackets. Heat not a factor.

Sep 11, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to They were wearing their uniforms. They take the jackets off ]

They looked worse than any game dressed high school band I have seen ever.

mspede@clemson.edu***

Sep 11, 2017, 5:06 PM

Does it take a music department to know to wear you full

Sep 11, 2017, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Auburn, like Bama, has a Music Department, with scholarships. They invest ]

uniform for a nationally televised night game (heat was not a factor), stand in formation, and either blow trumpets left to right, right to left, up or down, but not in circles in all different directions.

Re: Does it take a music department to know to wear you full

Sep 11, 2017, 1:55 PM

Do you b itch about everything? If you know so much volunteer your time like the students do

Re: Does it take a music department to know to wear you full

Sep 11, 2017, 2:17 PM

Hey leave the complainers alone. I got TD for calling them panzys out

Re: Auburn, like Bama, has a Music Department, with scholarships. They invest

Sep 11, 2017, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Auburn, like Bama, has a Music Department, with scholarships. They invest ]

Right on the money .....all of the larger schools that have music majors have larger and better bands. It did seem that our band is a little bit smaller this year than last.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2017, 12:40 PM

Uniforms ( or lack of) was terrible.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And it was only a prime-time nationally televised game

Sep 11, 2017, 4:07 PM

between #3 and #13 teams in the nation. That look would have been embarrassing at the Spring Game. What is amazing is that the band must review how they look on camera and they seem to be ok with it.

Sep 11, 2017, 1:16 PM

Auburn offers several degree programs in the music field. We have engineers playing trumpets or trombones to unwind between thermodynamics and statics.

Sep 11, 2017, 1:53 PM

Hard for me to complain about the band. As stated before, essentially volunteers. Moreover, they spend countless hours practicing. As long as they can nail the National Anthem, Alma Matter & Tiger Rag I'm happy. IMO

8 hours a week. MWF class, 2 hours a day and then gameday.

Sep 11, 2017, 2:01 PM

Drumline practices a little extra on Tuesday nights.

How much more practice would it take to say, lets

Sep 11, 2017, 4:31 PM

all face this direction when playing and keep the jackets on. Otherwise, let's just have one of those Stanford or old UVA bands. WHy put that much practice in and not even try to look right in the stands.

Re: How much more practice would it take to say, lets

Sep 11, 2017, 5:27 PM

You do realize that the kids facing away from the conductor or the "wrong direction" as you say, are the cymbal players who are holding out the cymbals for the snare line to play on, right?

Do you know ANYTHING about marching bands?

Look at the game replay, look at Auburn's band, then look at

Sep 11, 2017, 11:51 PM

ours. The things I have complained about have nothing to do with not having a music major. Look at them both, be honest with yourself, then tell me if one is not a thousand times more visually pleasing than the other. Then ask yourself why.

Re: Look at the game replay, look at Auburn's band, then look at

Sep 12, 2017, 11:07 AM

Auburn's band is more visually pleasing?

Yeah, marching in lines and squares sure is a really advanced marching show. Mhm. Marching in those lines is just so much more advanced the backwards right hand slide that curved and spiraled around half the field at 120 bpm that Tiger Band did. Man, marching forwards in a straight line and making a 90 degree turn into another straight line is a really creative halftime show. Man, for someone who has never dedicated thousands of hours of their life to marching bands and tiger band like I have, you sure are the expert. Why even bother complaining about Tiger Band, you should just go conduct DCI.

I'm talking about how they look in the stands. You don't

Sep 12, 2017, 4:53 PM

have to be a meteorologist to know when the weather is not as good. I won't say bad because Clemson's band is not bad. In fact, as I have said, they never looked or sounded better than they did in Tampa at the end of the season, but they didn't look as good as Auburn. And it wasn't music-major issues.

Re: I'm talking about how they look in the stands. You don't

Sep 12, 2017, 5:10 PM

I'll admit, some of the formations could've seen some improvement last Saturday.

And when they have their weekly video review in the band room I have no doubt Spede and Hurlbert will rip them a new one for it. But that's the directors job to ride their tail, not yours. Just enjoy the show.

You also have to remember, Tiger Band usually does four shows every year. They do 3 primary shows they rotate through the season, and then one military appreciation day show. This year they are doing 5 shows, 3 normal rotation shows, 1 military appreciation day show, and 1 show commemorating the National Championship that they performed during Kent State. They also have the entire Pregame show to learn and practice as well. Band camp starts 10 days before school starts from 7am to 11pm, and during the semester the band practices Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, as well as the morning of gameday. They also practice on Saturday and Sunday 7am-11pm every weekend until the first game of the season.

Well with an extra show to play this year, Tiger Band had less time to practice than normal despite the extensive practice schedule, and you know dang well they sure as hell wont mess up the Pregame show or THE National Championship show. So for those 2-3 weeks before the first game, the only shows they practice were the pregame and natty shows. The show they did for Auburn they just started practicing on the monday before the Auburn game (August 4th). They only had 3 days (at 2 hours each practice day) to learn the show they played for Auburn. This is on top of a full class schedule and, in some cases, part time or full time jobs for some students. Not to mention, the over half of the band this year are freshman members, and Tiger Band performs significantly more advanced music and formations than most college bands, so there is a steeper learning curve than usual. Be patient, it will come together and come together quickly.

You honestly have no idea how infuriating and demoralizing dumb comments like these can be to students who work tirelessly to put out a performance and spend 25-30+ hours every week putting a show on the field and music in the stands. By far, the loudest, craziest, most passionate, most loyal, and most charitable Clemson fans are the ones that come out of Tiger Band. Call them the "old guard" if you will, but you will never meet a more rabid or more dedicated group of Clemson fans than TB members and alumni. So to people that keep coming on here saying dumb things to complain about the band, sit down, stop complaining, enjoy the show, and cheer loud to Tiger Rag and be very very happy we arent a school like Wake or Syracuse with a terrible football program AND a less than supportive band program.

The drumline sucks pretty bad when compared to he better

Sep 11, 2017, 10:36 PM [ in reply to 8 hours a week. MWF class, 2 hours a day and then gameday. ]

bands. Been his way for years and years. We get used to crappy bands with schools like uva, wake, tech etc on a regular basis. Then we see the sc and Uga bands... FSU is way better than us too

Re: The drumline sucks pretty bad when compared to he better***

Sep 11, 2017, 10:40 PM

Sep 11, 2017, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band ]

The band is selective on who they take. You have to have Tiger Rag nailed down and send in a video with them playing it. My granddaughter plays the trumpet and she hasn't mastered that yet

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Sep 11, 2017, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band ]

Please !!! Please !!! Don't mention Thermodynamics on this board. I had a 62 semester average and thought I was flunking the course. Fortunately, it was graded on the curve and I had one of the two "A"'s in the class. Since this thread is about the band I suppose I should say that "A" was music to my ears. LOL

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2017, 3:15 PM

You are so right, thermo should be a banned word. Pretty sure hubby had to take it 3 times, thought we never would get out of those prefabs!

So if we had a major in music, I guess that covers how to

Sep 11, 2017, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band ]

wear your band uniform and stay in formation. I'm not talking about the size of the band, which has gotten quite nice, or the playing. I'm talking about the sloppiness in appearance.

If it's like it was back in my day,

Sep 11, 2017, 1:58 PM

half of them were drunk.

Please Post This in Tiger Band Forum***

Sep 11, 2017, 2:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, we should make the rules and regulations to be in the band

Sep 11, 2017, 2:29 PM

more stringent. These volunteer band members have gotten away with being sloppy for too long. We'll find out who is "All In", and the ones that aren't can hit the bricks, I mean it's not like we have a music program to worry about. If they all quit, we can just play more hip hop music on the PA system, the crowd seems to enjoy that better anyway.

Re: Yeah, we should make the rules and regulations to be in the band

Sep 11, 2017, 2:50 PM

Wow you can't be that dumb

No, but you are

Sep 11, 2017, 4:49 PM

Check your meter

Re: No, but you are

Sep 12, 2017, 4:46 PM

I'm with you

??***

Sep 12, 2017, 4:48 PM

Sep 11, 2017, 2:31 PM

Easy gents. Hard to expect Tiger Band to be comparable to schools that have music majors. Maybe Clemson should. But bear in mind that Tiger Band people are volunteers and not on scholarship, unless it is academic, and play for a school that does not care much for the arts. They do a pretty good job, considering. Auburn may be similar to Clemson in that regard but I bet their General Assembly is not as cheap as ours, at least regarding funding for college activities.

What amount of money does it take for our band director to

Sep 11, 2017, 4:29 PM

say, stay in uniform and here are the formations we are going to have? How many millions did it take for Auburn's band to stand straight, play in formation and keep their uniforms on?

Sep 11, 2017, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band ]

See my other post. There is an organization called the College Band Directors National Association, the CBDNA, which is essentially the "NCAA" of collegiate bands. They even judge and have bands from D1 schools compete each year for conference and national championships.

Since the CBDNA was created in 1941, Tiger Band has won more CBDNA conference and marching championships than any other collegiate marching band.

Tiger Band is one of the top 4 most decorated marching bands in the nation along with Ohio State, Southern California, and Florida State.

^^^This is either a joke or an outright lie. Our band is

Sep 11, 2017, 10:40 PM

Not highly regarded in any way, by any organization. I think they are fine for what they do, but let's not compare them to any of the better bands in the country. It's not pretty

Sep 11, 2017, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band ]

Can you please provide a link to back up anything in this post? The CBDNA hosts an annual symposium with exhibitions. They also hold regional symposiums that do the same. I am unaware of any competitions, nor can I find any reference to such competition, nor any reference to Clemson having ever won any such competition. It is a volunteer band at a school without a School of Music. To my understanding, last year was the first time they've ever limited overall membership in the marching band. To insinuate that it is a premier marching band ("won more... than any other...band") is simply ridiculous.

Sep 11, 2017, 11:15 PM

I didn' find anything about competitions done specifically by the CBDNA, but I did find this just looking some stuff up. Could be what he is talking about.

https://archive.org/stream/clemsonuniversit00cle_3zd/clemsonuniversit00cle_3zd_djvu.txt
"
Both the Auburn Band and the Clemson Band are the
two most-recognized college bands by CBDNA (College
Band Directors National Association). Each time these
bands have been eligible and have submitted video per-
formances, they have been selected for regional and na-
tional recognition. "

http://vicfirth.com/university-spotlight-clemson/
"Tiger Band is the only college band in the country to be recognized every time they were eligible by CBDNA (College Band Directors National Association) for presentation at national and regional conferences. "

http://tband.people.clemson.edu/History_Today.htm
In 2006 Tiger Band was recognized by the College Band Directors National Association for its "RENT/Habitat for Humanity" show.

In 2007 Tiger Band was recognized for the second year in a row by the CBDNA (College Band Directors National Association). The 2007 "Guitar Hero" show was presented at the Southern Division Conference of CBDNA as one of four selected for the honor. It was also invited for presentation at the National Marching and Athletic Band Symposium in Seattle, Washington at a session called: "Halftime Concepts: Thinking Outside the Box."

Closest I can find to any of that above.

I bet they had their jacket on when going for that prize. Be

Sep 11, 2017, 11:45 PM

nice if they would do it for the national tv cameras.

It's way past time we drop the overalls.

Sep 11, 2017, 2:32 PM

Or whatever those purple things were as part of the band uniforms. We're one of the nation's top public universities, for crying out loud. Those things were hideous and make us look like rednecks.

Our agricultural heritage is just that - our heritage. It isn't our 2017. Time to move on.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

absolutely!***

Sep 11, 2017, 4:33 PM

Every marching band in the nation wears those.

Sep 11, 2017, 5:10 PM [ in reply to It's way past time we drop the overalls. ]

I think the consensus to keep the jackets on is right. They look sharp when they're worn correctly.

Thats a standard marching band uniform.

Sep 11, 2017, 5:23 PM [ in reply to It's way past time we drop the overalls. ]

That's literally what every marching band uniform looks like.

You have absolutelly no idea what you are talking about.

That's not what Auburn's looked like.***

Sep 11, 2017, 5:31 PM

Re: That's not what Auburn's looked like.***

Sep 11, 2017, 10:26 PM

Since you're being this dense, I'll spell it out for you.

Band uniforms are made of multiple items of clothing, we have our shoes, shirt, then our bibbers (the "overalls"), then the jacket. On the jacket, attached to the chest of the uniform, is the shield. The cape drapes over the shoulder, then there are the gloves, and the the shako ("hat").

Those band unis are really #### hot. I wouldn't expect you to know this as I doubt you even attended this school, but wearing those uniforms in warm weather can be a serious health hazard. Every year, marching band members end up hospitalized because of the conditions. Its unfortunate that it happens. At Nebraska a few years ago, a band member DIED in the stadium because they were required to wear full uniforms in hot weather.

So, why dont you go put on a #### uniform, pick up a horn, learn how to play one of the most musically challenging (and one of the fastest tempo) fight songs in the country. Then, go practice at 8am on a gameday saturday, put your uniform on, go play in the amphitheater, then march down to the stadium while continuously playing that same fight song, then run a 25 minute long pregame show (which requires you to SPRINT up to 100 yards in a full band uniform), sit int he stands for 3 hours playing constantly, and run a full 15 minute halftime show.

Oh, and dont forget you have to dedicate almost 30 hours a week to this band as well, in addition to being a full time student and hold a part time job.

Not to mention, every single member of Tiger Band is doing this under their own conviction as a group of volunteers. And despite that, we are the single most decorated band in the nation.

Please, try it out, be my guest. I did it, for FOUR YEARS. And I continue to support the band financially, logistically, and administratively, more than you ever have or ever will.

Put your money where your mouth is and put a uniform on and pick up a horn. If you aren't gunna do that, the sit down, shut up, and enjoy the hard work the "Guardians of the Clemson Spirit" put in to show more loyalty and support to this team and school than you ever will.

Why would you doubt I've attended the school. Just because

Sep 11, 2017, 11:47 PM

I'd like to see some things done differently? Just because I care?

Heat was not an issue Saturday. And you keep repeating things also.

Re: Why would you doubt I've attended the school. Just because

Sep 12, 2017, 11:10 AM

You honestly have no idea if heat was an issue or not because you weren't the one in those uniforms putting on the show. You've never eve been in a marching band, you have no right to criticize.

How many deceased did Auburn Band report at the end

Sep 12, 2017, 5:03 PM

of the game, except, of course, Jarret Stidham?

Re: It's way past time we drop the overalls.

Sep 13, 2017, 9:02 AM [ in reply to It's way past time we drop the overalls. ]

You need to get a clue. Ag is the second biggest industry in sc. I love morons

Right now Irma's bands are doing quite a number.

Sep 11, 2017, 2:44 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 11, 2017, 3:06 PM

I'm not gonna criticize our band, but I will say I had to remind my wife more than twice that she was dancing to the opposing bands tunes. She finally said, "I don't care, leave me alone they're songs are catchy!" We were winning and she had a point. When they rolled out Sweet Caroline, every Clemson fan near me was singing. What the heck I joined in a little too.

*Their***

Sep 11, 2017, 3:09 PM

Re: *Their***

As long as the band leader is also volunteer i wont complain, but they do suck pretty bad

I know what I saw***

Sep 11, 2017, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Our band needs to take a long hard look at Auburn's band ]

Sep 11, 2017, 3:17 PM

I love it how people who know nothing about anything post on TigerNet like they know something about everything.

You people are clueless.

They are? I am? Whut?***

Sep 11, 2017, 3:27 PM

Re: They are? I am the walrus***

Sep 11, 2017, 5:07 PM

I'm just happy we have a full band. It sounds pretty good to

me. Complainers should have been around a few years ago when the band dwindled down to 150-175 members. Back then they weren't allowed to take their jackets off at any time, even wearing wool in the heat of August and September. In my opinion, that is ridiculous.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

i have no idea what any band member was wearing***

Sep 11, 2017, 3:20 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2017, 3:59 PM

Mad props to our bans. They improve and grow larger each year. No complaints about our band.

pretty sure they even had a fiddle***

Sep 11, 2017, 4:44 PM

Sep 11, 2017, 5:05 PM

I've always thought our band was lacking. Just top to bottom not as good or flashy as a lot of other schools. My favorite part of when we play South Carolina State is when their band plays.

And to be honest, Auburn is only really average nationally. There are some incredibly impressive ones out there.

Careful, your feathers are showing. There may be some

Sep 11, 2017, 11:59 PM

incredible marching bands out there, but the SCar band is not one of them. Auburn's band is way better than the marching coots. The coot band is big now, but in no way impressive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Literacy is a wonderful thing. Try it bud.***

Sep 13, 2017, 10:32 AM

Seriously?

Sep 11, 2017, 5:21 PM

You know nothing about Tiger Band then.

I am a former band member. I was a part of the band leadership, and now I hold a high level position within CUTBA.

There is an organization called the College Band Directors National Association, the CBDNA. They are essentially the "NCAA" of Division 1 collegiate bands. They also hold competitions for each band int he NCAA, they go by conference, and then national level championships. It is the authority on all things regarding collegiate marching bands.

The CBDNA has existed since 1941. Currently Dr. Mark Spede, the director of Tiger Band, is the President Elect of the organization (that is akin to DRAD being the President of the NCAA).

To this date, no other band in the country has won more national awards or CBDNA National Championships than our very own Tiger Band.

And you have to understand, Tiger Band has earned this national reputation and more awards than any other band with a 100% voluntary enrollment. Clemson does not have a music major, every single member of Tiger Band joins and participates and gives 110% on a purely voluntary basis. It is one of the largest, loudest, and most successful bands in the country.

I'm sorry, but you have no right to criticize our band because you dont have the slightest idea what kind of work they put in and what kind of success and recognition they've earned.

So if they're going to do all that and volunteer, then why

Sep 11, 2017, 5:26 PM

not wear a full uniform on national television and decide if they want to blow horns straight on, left to right, right to left, up and down and pick one. Don't do circles.

The fact that they are volunteers, don't have a music major, have won, or not won awards has nothing to do with failing the eye test as miserably as they did Saturday. I'm not complaining about the size or ability to make music. I even saw on Band site this summer that people have to audition and there were deadlines for audition tapes.

So if you're going to do that, why look as sloppy as they looked Saturday. IF they practice that many hours and have that many volunteers, why not just finish.

Re: So if they're going to do all that and volunteer, then why

Sep 11, 2017, 5:39 PM

Would you rather have a million dollar band or a million dollar football team. I don't care what they wear in the stands as long as they continue to play the Tiger Rag long and hard!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So if they're going to do all that and volunteer, then why

Sep 11, 2017, 10:31 PM [ in reply to So if they're going to do all that and volunteer, then why ]

Removing the jacket in the stands is for the safety of band members. Furthermore, the band actually changes the front shield of their band uniforms. During pregame, they wear a military style outfit. Afterwards, they change to the "tiger stripe" shield throughout the rest of the game.

If you refuse to understand this point that has been made to you multiple times, then you should probably head to CockyTalk as you would be a much better fit for that fanbase than Clemson's.

The horns waving around are for visual effect. Apparently you dont to games either. When those horns are waving, the lights hit them and they flash all around the stadium. Seeing the band rocking like that has an effect on the whole atmosphere.

That's ot what it was. They looked like that the whole time.***

Sep 11, 2017, 11:38 PM

I understand the visual effect and I have seen them for many

Sep 11, 2017, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: So if they're going to do all that and volunteer, then why ]

years in person and it looks great going left to right or right to left or up and down. About two years ago they started doing them in all opposite directions and in circles and it looks laughable.

Re: I understand the visual effect and I have seen them for many

Sep 12, 2017, 11:16 AM

I have been in band during those years you mentioned. Not a single thing you said was true. The horn movements have stayed the same for decades.

http://tband.people.clemson.edu/Download/SheetMusic/TigerRag/TigerRag_Trumpet.pdf

Starting at section A, the horns are instructed to move their bells in random angles. Every person moves their horn in a different direction on each note.

At section C, the horns are instructed to sway from side to side with the tempo. At this same time, the trombones move from right to left while they extend their slides for the gliss they play.

At the 9th measure after section D, the horns are instructed to rear the horns up and down on each note during the C-L-E-M-S-O-N spell out. I was in band up until 2015 and have closely worked with the band through the last 2 seasons. These horn movements you mention literally havent changed since before my parents were in Tiger Band (which was in 1981).

You literally have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Way too complicated and looks like they are all going in

Sep 12, 2017, 5:09 PM

different directions willy nilly. Take a look at Auburn's and how crisp and uniform it looked when they were moving back and forth. That does not require music major.

Re: Seriously?

Sep 11, 2017, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Seriously? ]

For anyone to say our band is anywhere near a top 10 band right now is ludicrous. We do look awful in those uniforms and auburn clealry had more speed.

Sep 12, 2017, 11:17 AM

Go take a peek in the band room in Brooks and look at all the awards they won.

Sep 11, 2017, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Seriously? ]

I was also in Tiger Band 1977 - 1981 and rose to Supply Officer my senior year as well as Saxophone section leader. I probably know you. The band was my "outlet" from AC Elrod's thermo class ( yes I said thermo).

Only those of us who experienced it really understand what it means to be in an all volunteer band. I will always cherish the NC game against Nebraska my senior year. When you look at other college bands where there is a music major that means those kids are studying their instrument and that makes it much more serious. Stanford or good 'ol UVA? A Clemson grad has too much class for that and we carry ourselves better than that to go to the other extreme.

But TB is for the fun of it and always has been and I hope always is. If they wear suspenders and look like farmers in the stands - so what? It's like the whole world has lost its sense of humor and takes itself too seriously.

Sep 11, 2017, 9:05 PM

This should be moved to the Band forum

What made it so bad is that our band was awesome in

Sep 11, 2017, 11:36 PM

Tampa. They never seemed better, or sounded better for that matter, and went toe to toe with the Bama band. They just looked really bad Saturday. It looked outclassed and I know no matter a music school or not, the things that needing fixing Saturday had nothing to do with lack of a music major.

Sep 11, 2017, 11:37 PM

I like the band

Sep 12, 2017, 12:13 AM

Welcome to the world of envy. When we (Louisville) played Auburn in Atlanta a couple of years ago I was immediately drawn to and impressed with the whole size and presentation of their band. The way that their flag girls were synchronized in the front frow of the band with whatever they played. Big time.

I remember Florida's band being equally impressive when we played them in the Sugar Bowl. Texas A&M has a cool band also. SEC bands in general kick ####.

Louisville just doesn't care AT ALL about our marching band. Extremely small and chock full of volunteers and students from other small colleges across the area.

I will say one thing about the band...

Sep 12, 2017, 4:36 AM

They could stand to add a few newer or better songs to the mix.... it seems like they've been playing the same #### tunes for the last 50 yrs.

Re: I will say one thing about the band...

Sep 12, 2017, 4:10 PM

Dan Radakovich did sit down with the Dr. Spede and other students in the Tiger Band leadership and told us that he wanted to make the band smaller by about 200 members and that he wanted Clemson to end the tradition of Tiger Rag and the Alma Mater and replace them with more "modern" songs.

We laughed at him and walked out.

Agree, but I will say this for them, I love the little tune

Sep 12, 2017, 4:56 PM [ in reply to I will say one thing about the band... ]

they sometimes play when the other team is on first down and coming up to the line of scrimmage. And I'm not talking about rage defense. I know that is a staple and though it is good, I'm kind of tired of it. But the other tune I'm talking about here is really cool. I first noticed it last year and heard it a lot in the natty game.

Enough! You can't handle the truth!

Sep 12, 2017, 5:19 AM

Clemson81to85, we live in a football world that has bands, and those bands have to be filled by students with instruments. Who's gonna do it - you, Clemson81to85?

The Band has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for no
uniforms in the stands, and you curse the Band. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what others know, that the Band not wearing jackets in the stands, while visually unappealing to you, probably saved lives. And the Band's appearance while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, pleases most Clemson fans.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you talk about at parties; you want the Band, you need the Band! The Band uses words like volunteer, dedication, hard work. They use these words as the backbone of four years spent performing something, you use them as a punch line. TNet has neither the time, or the inclination, to explain the Band to a man, who rises and cheers under the blanket of the very music they provide, and then questions the manner, in which they provide it.

Better you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise why don't you pick up a horn instrument, and blow it!

Either way, the Band probably doesn't give a ####, what you think you are entitled to!

LOL, good one. I can see Jack Nicholson gritting his teeth

Sep 12, 2017, 4:59 PM

now.

Game week this week and we have an epic Band nerd thread.

Sep 12, 2017, 11:18 AM

WTFH people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Auburn band had two different uniforms

Sep 13, 2017, 12:49 PM

not uniform at all

Sep 13, 2017, 1:30 PM

Count me in as a huge fan of Tiger Band. I appreciate all the hours they put in to help entertain the fans and support the team.

Thanks for Shakin' the Southland every Saturday.

Replies: 109
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic