Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons

Jan 4, 2014, 10:38 AM

Long ago, before the Earth cooled and dinosaurs roamed the planet, I had a friend. He was a better athlete than I was, and probably still is (damning with faint praise I know!)

Anyway, many afternoons we'd play H-O-R-S-E. Usually he'd win, but I'd pull out a win at times, enough to give me hope. One afternoon, one magical afternoon, though, things were different.

For that one afternoon, I was the king of the court. I couldn't miss, and he couldn't hit. Two, three, four games in a row. It was magic. He was getting pi$$ed, and I was getting full of myself. Things were different. He wasn't going to dominate on the court any more.

The next weekend, he mauled me ... and I never was able to match that streak again. But for years, I held on to that magical afternoon, when I owned the guy that owned me.

I think y'all can see the parallel. The Capons are having their magical afternoon, when they own the owner. It stinks, but just remember ... years from now, this magical afternoon is all they will have to keep them warm after future winters of butt cutting.

They will NEVER be a BCS winner.
They will NEVER own this rivalry.
They will NEVER be Clemson.

But they have this magical afternoon ... like I have it over my friend.

And only those with these magical afternoons know how much it means to us, and how little it means to everyone else.

It's time to stop letting a gaggle of clucking Capons blur your vision. We are Clemson, and we will forever be Clemson. One magical afternoon for an opponent forever doomed to be less in the eyes of the world will not change that.

Know this. Savor this. You are blessed beyond belief to be Sons of Clemson. Mornings like this make it abundantly clear.

Rejoice in who we are ... and who we will always be.

Clemson Tigers.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons

Jan 4, 2014, 10:41 AM

God Bless you and our Clemson Tigers! A great comment

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bump for the folks still worried about these clowns...***

Jan 4, 2014, 8:25 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great perspective Rev!***

Jan 4, 2014, 10:13 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Bravo!***

Jan 4, 2014, 11:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You beat Scottie in HORSE??.?***

Jan 5, 2014, 12:51 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Naw, Johhny: It was Tommy ...

Jan 5, 2014, 10:45 AM

Hannis had that hook shot I never could match, but Tommy would always face up and try that step-back Jonathon Moore jumper. My 360 spinning jumper from the block was hitting that day ... and for those who were around back then it was the same day Evel Knievel tried to jump the Snake River Canyon.

Long ago and far away ... like this brief unpleasantness with the Capons. And it really does ruin their day when you don't let a hiccup in history get to you.

I suggest folks try it.

Jan 5, 2014, 1:11 AM

Here is what we know to be true…

If you ask people nationally who won a BCS bowl game, they will say Clemson.

If you ask people nationally who in the state of SC hasn't been to a BCS bowl game or won a championship, they will say SC.

However, if you ask people nationally the simple question of "Who is the better team, SC or Clemson?", they will say SC.

When you lose five in a row to another team by double digits, no one is going to say you are the better team.

Jan 5, 2014, 1:30 AM

Who is SC? Clemson is the ONLY school in the state that I know of. You must be talking about Southern Cal. No wait it is Stupid Coot. Face it the only thing that people know about your worthless football program is that Spurrier is the coach and Clowney had one good hit in his entire career. That is all you clowns will ever be remembered for. Well,that and losing to Navy and the Citadel.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 1:39 AM

Haha, funny response.

Again, ask this question to pretty much anyone in the nation that isn't a Clemson fan…

"Who is the better football team presently, South Carolina or Clemson?"

Answer - South Carolina in a landslide.

First of all, great job as usual Rev.!

Jan 5, 2014, 4:16 AM

Listen, if we turned it over 6 times to say, Citadel or Furman, we'd have a hard time winning. Turnover's are a part of of the game. I'm not trying to take away from your W by saying your D didn't cause a few. Do you honestly think an elite team gets 6 TO's and only wins by 13? Fact is, nothing you said was a ,"Fact", only your opinion on what you believe these hypothetical people would say. The Rev. stated, by definition, facts. You will NEVER PLAY IN A BCS GAME, MUCH LESS WIN ONE. We've proven that what he said, are indeed facts, not opinions. Do you want to go to the trouble of finding a big enough population of truly unbiased people to find out? He stated facts. Sorry, but you are on a Clemson board. That tends to happen here. No one will remember that you played in the...honestly, I don't remember now. Capital One Bowl I think? People that follow football remember who won an OB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons ]

I'll bet if you ask any UGA or LSU fans they may not agree with you.

Nope: Here's what we know to be true...

Jan 5, 2014, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons ]

And I think you're talking to the wrong folks outside the state.

Try asking which team is better: Team A, with four losses in the past two years, all to top 10 programs: or Team B with 4 losses, one to an unranked team each year and each year losing to a team that Team A beat.

My perception and experience is that people would (and have) said UCS has bragged itself from college football filth to a level of unparalleled success ... which no sane person would argue. But your team continues to lose games it shouldn't ... like Tennessee this year.

In other words, until UCS stops "Clemsoning," you can never assume to be better than a team whose former worst habits it now mimics.

You shall never be better than Clemson, and it eats some of your folks alive to know it ... and to know that while we may be disappointed with the head-to-head, we decline to let a hiccup in history define the truth.

And THAT is what we all know to be true.

If you have to leave the most important information

Jan 5, 2014, 11:07 AM

out of your example. Isn't that a sign your argument doesn't have much ground to stand on?

Try asking which team is better: Team A, with four losses in the past two years, all to top 10 programs with two losses being to Team B: or Team B with 4 losses, one to an unranked team each year and each year losing to a team that Team A beat but zero loses to Team A.

Every unbiased fan would choose Team B, as they have beaten Team A both years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Am I addressing unbiased fans?

Jan 5, 2014, 11:18 AM

Am I addressing fans who don't live this every waking hour?

Nope: I'm addressing people who have a lifetime in this casserole of emotion. You look at the crispy crust and pronounce the meal cooked.

But stick a meat thermometer in and you find appearances are indeed deceiving. Now, you choose to feast on the crust, knowing that the meal is nowhere near done.

I'm a bit more patient. But I understand why a starving man believes crust to be a filling feast. I've been there.

Enjoy! But when those hunger pangs return, and you have nothing to eat, remember those days.

They are fleeting.

Re: Am I addressing unbiased fans?

Jan 5, 2014, 11:30 AM

What is even more depressing is when you have been the king of a land for your entire life and you have been able to eat all of the casserole you want.

But then one day, you wake up to realize that slowly you have lost your ability to be King in that land any longer.

The pauper of your land has somehow over time gained a foothold and is now the one sitting at the King's Chair. Oh, he isn't eating the crust.

How did he get there? Was it because you were lazy because you assumed that you would always be the King? You certainly didn't do enough to remain the King.

So you sit and you weep for two reasons. First is because you simply are now at the realization that you are no longer the King. But second, and of equal importance, is because you let an actual pauper become the King of your land. You realize that is an indictment on you and your Army because you let a pauper take over your thrown.

OK, now THAT is just getting obtuse!

Jan 5, 2014, 11:50 AM

Nice try, though....it's been fun.

On to basketball .... though I can understand why y'all aren't looking forward to that.

Re: OK, now THAT is just getting obtuse!

Jan 5, 2014, 11:59 AM

Nothing obtuse about it. Truth sometime hurts my friend.

Enjoy your Orange Bowl Victory! Clemson fans should be very proud of that accomplishment. That was a great win for the Clemson program.

"That was a great win for the Clemson program". So,

Jan 5, 2014, 1:21 PM

Do you agree that win was better than anything you accomplished this year, or heck, in the entire history of your program for that matter?

OH my...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Am I addressing unbiased fans? ]

that mullet is smoked..

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Nobody cares about USuC or your weak victory over Wisc.

Jan 5, 2014, 1:05 PM [ in reply to If you have to leave the most important information ]

Just deal with the facts. The nation knows USuC as Spurrier and Clowney. That's it.

Another FACT: Clemson accomplished more on Friday night than you have in the entire history of our program.

Re: Nope: Here's what we know to be true...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Nope: Here's what we know to be true... ]

Clemson fans keep mentioning SC losing to an unranked team. That did happen and it was a bad day for SC fans. Losing to Tennessee sucked.

But in your little scenario Rev, just realize that Clemson lost to the team that lost to an unranked Tennessee.

Again, my points stand..

Clemson won a BCS bowl game.
SC didn't even go to a BCS bowl game.
SC is better than Clemson as proven on the field for 5 years now.
SC will once again end up ranked higher than Clemson.

SC is better than Clemson. That is pretty much a fact.

Now, you guys should go and enjoy your BCS bowl win. I know I would definitely enjoy it if we had won one. But we didn't. Hell, we never even went to a BCS bowl. That is something for you guys to celebrate.

We don't have that (as you all have pointed out), so we don't have a choice other than to celebrate being the best team in the state.

Your truth is as convenient as mine...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:33 AM

...which is our right as college fans of rival teams.

Please note I never denied your primary contention: that UCS has beaten Clemson. Nor have I said that UCS hasn't become a strong player in the world of college football.

But you have yet to address my primary contention: That a temporary aberration (and unbiased fans would address your recent streak as an aberration) does not rewrite history.

How can you label it temporary?

Jan 5, 2014, 12:01 PM

How do you know this aberration is not the new normal?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and how can you begin to label it the new norm ? look at

Jan 5, 2014, 12:11 PM

the winning streaks we've had. usuc's current streak still pales in comparison.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't label it

Jan 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

I have no idea what the future will hold, so i'm not going to make a statement on it being temporary or permanent.

that tap dance is fitting, considering your affiliation!

Jan 5, 2014, 12:22 PM

should have known.

Yeah, I suppose you could have suddenly changed the bulk

Jan 5, 2014, 1:15 PM [ in reply to I didn't label it ]

of 22 seasons in the SEC and 115 years of football.

Your coach seems to think we just don't play well

Jan 5, 2014, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons ]

against you...

I think that sums it up in a nutshell...

Message was edited by: dw1959®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your team lost to 5&7 Tenn.are you the better team***

Jan 5, 2014, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon (a bit early): afternoons and aeons ]

Re: your team lost to 5&7 Tenn.are you the better team***

Jan 5, 2014, 1:10 PM

If SC had lost to Tennessee five years in a row, then absolutely Tennessee would be the better team.

And if I argued against it, I would expect nothing more than for Tennessee fans to laugh at me.

One year doesn't make a team better. I give you that. But five in a row certainly does. At least for now.

Also, Tennessee did beat SC but they will not finish higher in the rankings. SC beat Clemson and will finish higher in the rankings. Important distinction.

again, your coach just seems to think we don't

Jan 5, 2014, 1:13 PM

play well against you...

so, using his reasoning, he we would have played up to par, probably would have been different results...

Message was edited by: dw1959®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last year had nothing to do with this year.

Jan 5, 2014, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: your team lost to 5&7 Tenn.are you the better team*** ]

Funny how you guys say that all the time unless it helps you in a(n) (weak) argument.

You beat Clemson because we gave you the ball 6 times, twice in great field position without even having a possession. You won and deserve credit, but you didn't show yourselves to be the better team that night.

Let's face the facts - what Clemson ended up doing as a whole including the win over one of the best programs in the country is FAR more relevant than anything you did.

Re: Last year had nothing to do with this year.

Jan 5, 2014, 1:16 PM

ah, using "coot logic' to give reasons why Clemson lost. I remember when SC fans had to do that.

Yes, last year does matter. When you lose five in a row to a team, it does matter.

6 turnovers - "coot logic"

Jan 5, 2014, 1:19 PM

Are you joking?

Jan 5, 2014, 6:04 AM

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 5, 2014, 9:49 AM

Amen!

I think his question was pretty simple

Jan 5, 2014, 10:05 AM

Who is the best team in SC?

And it has been simply answered...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:02 AM

...as things must be for Capons.

You've implied Clemson has been the better team

Jan 5, 2014, 11:09 AM

but you're conveniently leaving yourself to excuse,"I didn't explicitly say that."

So why hijack this thread if you are convinced of that?

Jan 5, 2014, 11:17 AM

Start your own.

On a gamecock board to boot.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Your own subconcience determines that implication

Jan 5, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to You've implied Clemson has been the better team ]

All I said was one day I was able to bet a kid who was better than me.

You have been able to do the same.

Congratulations.

It just doesn't change the fact that you and your fecally feathered compatriots will NEVER be what you so desperately desire.

You are not Clemson. And when this little hiccup in history is ended, you still won't be Clemson.

UCS will NEVER be Clemson, and nothing you may proclaim changes that.

Re: Your own subconcience determines that implication

Jan 5, 2014, 11:25 AM

SC fans don't want to be Clemson. We want to be better than Clemson, which is currently the case.

Yes, you say it will not last. It may not. But it is funny that I have been hearing that for five years now. I haven't been on this board that long, but I have a sneaking suspicion you have been saying the same things after every loss to SC.

You guys just keep sitting back and waiting for that tide to change. I am sure it is coming anytime now. Just wait for it, right?

Which brings the argument full circle...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:36 AM

Teams that are "better than Clemson" don't lose to Tennessee. Stop "Clemsoning" if you want to be seen as something better.

But you won't ... because you aren't.

That remains the truth.

Hmm

Jan 5, 2014, 11:59 AM

"Clemson is better than Carolina because we lost to Tennessee."

Something about that doesn't make sense.

This spoken from the Moron who claimed Victory

Jan 5, 2014, 12:08 PM

in the 1st. and 35 game because Sydney Rice caught 200 yds. between the twenties.

That is a never-ending knee-slapper, HipHop'OCrit!

-Tesla

CURRENTLY

Jan 5, 2014, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Your own subconcience determines that implication ]

on the last Saturdays in November in 2010-2012. We helped you on the other two: you didn't EARN IT.

History shows you have dug your own grave. Enjoy your resurrection.

But you will have to live with the reality of telling the tales to you Grandchildren of the Glory Days of 2009-2013. What's your answer gonna be when they ask, "But Gran, what about all the other times, and NOW??"

One Conference Championship. One failed attempt at one. Not a BCS Bowl Participant. Snort in derision and feel better about it.

-Tesla

Tesla, I remember 8 years ago

Jan 5, 2014, 12:07 PM

when you kept telling me that Carolina would never beat Clemson regularly.

Back then you could fall back on the head to head record when I mentioned that we were closing the gap. You refused to acknowledge Clemson wasn't as dominant as you believed.

What makes you so certain our dominance will end?

History

Jan 5, 2014, 12:10 PM

Ever heard of it? Omitting it help? Denying that it repeats?

Soopidity like that should be painful.

-Tesla

Re: History

Jan 5, 2014, 12:16 PM

I love it that Clemson fans are now having to hope for the future instead of being able to live in the present.

It is all about the past or the future. Personally, I am enjoying the present.

We will see what the future holds when it gets here. All I know is that I have been hearing that it was going to change for five years now.

Wait till Next Year, right?

We used to have a trademark on that one. I guess we lent it to you.

NO Hope, Liverlips

Jan 5, 2014, 12:22 PM

We know. The Worm WILL rturn.

-Doc

What kind of nonsense is this?

Jan 5, 2014, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Your own subconcience determines that implication ]

An implication is made by the writer.

Secondly, why would you think we want to be Clemson? If we really wanted to be Clemson we could just become Clemson fans.

The ego is a little over the top on that one.

That's easy to answer, ORPHAN

Jan 5, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I think his question was pretty simple ]

You are the best team on the last Saturday in November.

Only..

-Tesla

Re: That's easy to answer, ORPHAN

Jan 5, 2014, 12:03 PM

Haha, your statement reminds me of a great business quote.

In business, there are reasons and there are results, and reasons just don't matter.

I love all of these "reasons" on Tigernet about how Clemson is still better than SC.

The results tell us a different story. I am glad to have the results on my side.

And the results are more than just the win in November. Do you want to take a guess at who will end up ranked higher after all is said and done this season? How many years in a row will that put SC with the higher ranking at the end of the season?

Enjoy your Orange Bowl Victory! Clemson fans should enjoy it. It is a great accomplishment.

Losing touch with the reasons

Jan 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

in success or failure will bring failure.

You wanna be schooled some more by a Techie, Wall Street?

What else should we expect from a Spinning Dung ###### giving value to the conjecture of a Sports Writer and Coaches Assistant-based vote.

Ya need to quit before you fall on your Spurs, 'Lil Bitty.

-Tesla

Re: Losing touch with the reasons

Jan 5, 2014, 12:23 PM

I would love to be schooled by a Techie or a Clemson fan that can prove my points as inaccurate…

Let me know when you find one.

all your last 5 wins prove is

Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

is that you scored more points on those days than we did... and I'll repeat myself from above...

your coach summed it up when he said we don't play very well against you.

You have a very good football team and If I really thought you were better than us I'd concede.

In reality though, we recently have not played very well against you guys, just like the OBS said...

Re: all your last 5 wins prove is

Jan 5, 2014, 12:37 PM

At the end of the day, there are reasons and results, and reasons just don't matter.

SC is better than Clemson… That is what the results tell us.

Hey, I don't blame you for trying to come up with REASONS why you think Clemson is better. You are a Clemson fan. I get it.

I am just glad the results are on my side.

I'm just repeating what your coach said...***

Jan 5, 2014, 12:37 PM

HEY FOLKS! Just got a TMAIL from Toogie on this subject!!!

Jan 5, 2014, 12:20 PM

He's relegated to a T-Mail troller!!

-DNT

LOL. So you're saying classof09 and toogie have shown

Jan 5, 2014, 1:18 PM

up out of the blue, at exactly the same time? What are the chances??

LOL. Poor toogie.

Jan 5, 2014, 1:20 PM

Well....good sermon Rev. I haven't posted in here in quite awhile because I honestly started to avoid the TigerNet Forums because there was too much negativity in here and bashing of coaches. But that's a topic for another day. I felt compelled to comment because of some Gamecock comments to the Rev's post.

When we lost to the Coots in 2011, not gonna lie, I was down in the dumps. In my opinion, they had beaten us pretty good and it appeared as if the difference between our programs was widening. However, this year, midway through the 4th quarter, on the road, and we were tied after having had 3 turnovers and the game was really ours to win. It wasn't until the 4th turnover that our hopes were pretty much dashed. But when the game was over, while disappointed in the loss, I wasn't down because I no longer felt our program was behind the Gamecocks. In fact, I do feel we are the better team.

But wait, they beat us, how can we be better? I doubt any Gamecock will say Tennessee is better than them, but didn't they lose to the Vols? How could that be? Well, sometimes, the better team gets beat when they make more mistakes...it ain't rocket science. Look at Alabama, 5 turnovers and even they can't overcome that against a good team. And yes, the Gamecocks are a good team, any Tiger who won't admit that isn't being honest with themselves...but...they don't have anything on us at this point. So, I was very confident we were going to beat Ohio State because the game in Columbia this year showed me that we can compete with any team in the country IF we play with limited mistakes. And heck, we beat Ohio State despite silly mistakes. We should have beaten them by at least 14 to 21 points if we hadn't made some ill timed mistakes.

So to the Gamecocks out there....enjoy....I give you credit on 5 years....but these Tigers are back and I feel we have better football yet to be played. GO TIGERS.

well said and I'll add to your statement:

Jan 5, 2014, 1:23 PM

"And heck, we beat Ohio State despite silly mistakes"

and unbelievable calls by the refs!

Re: well said and I'll add to your statement:

Jan 5, 2014, 1:25 PM

Yup...I'll agree to that addition. Still trying to understand the "sideline interference" calls, LOL. Did we have even one of those during the season? Go figure.

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic