Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A critique and grade on Trevor's QB play against BC.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

A critique and grade on Trevor's QB play against BC.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:34 AM

I give him a C plus. He is no better at the long bombs than Kelly was. But he can hit every other pass and run the offense much better.

He stalled the offense several times last night when we were moving the ball and looking good. We didn't have many 3 plays and punt last night, BUT we had many punts after the second series of downs. Lots of series ended with me thinking we were at least going to get a FG opportunity but had to punt. Several of those were on Trevor.
1. Taking a sack and putting us out if FG range.
2. Running out of bounds twice and losing yardage. Instead of throwing the ball away.
3. Sliding before the 1st down market again.
4. Missing open receivers by overthrowing by 1 to 4 yards. Not even giving them an opportunity at a 50/50 jump ball.
5. Trowing ball out of bounds on a deep route by 5 yards, again not giving receiver even a chance to catch it.
6. Kept the ball himself 2 or 3 times on the read option when the better result would have been to give it to Etiene.
That's my 2 cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That you Kelly?

Nov 11, 2018, 10:36 AM

Good lawd. You people kill me. He was the MVP. Just give it a rest.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:51 AM

No. I'm a big Trevor Lawrence fan but just keeping it real. He looked like Freshman several times last night. If he has a C plus game against Bama we will lose. Not as bad as last year but lose nonetheless.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 11:46 AM

That made me chuckle!

But the kid is a freshman and does occasionally play like one. He was seeing some exotic well disguised blitzes from a well coached team that came to win. This stuff plays off dividends for hopefully playoff times.

Some of the throws he was making looked liked a senior qb and as he plays more he will get more comfortable in all areas. I’m sure he’d be the first to tell you he missed some deep throws but it’s not easy hitting a full speed WR 40/50 yards down the field in the wind and miss by 2/3 yards.

I have never seen a more accurate qb in the 25 yard range tho, he’s incredibly dialed in there.

Nov 11, 2018, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: That you Kelly? ]

Well, he is a true freshman and he will make mistakes. He will learn from them. Just be happy its now he is learning them. Ad he doesnt make half the mistakes other qbs make.
One further pint....if the ground game didn't take so many reps away from TL and recievers, they qpuld be able to get more opportunities to work on timeong in game time

Well, he is a true freshman and he will make mistakes. He will learn from them. Just be happy its now he is learning them. Ad he doesnt make half the mistakes other qbs make.
One further pint....if the ground game didn't take so many reps away from TL and recievers, they qpuld be able to get more opportunities to work on timeong in game time

Nov 11, 2018, 7:06 PM

Omg, didn't mean to post that 3 tines. Just thought it wouldn't post amd was lagging.

Re: A critique and grade on Trevor's QB play against BC.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:42 AM

Maybe you need to keep your two cents and go by a ticket to USuCK and Akron game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I STAND FOR THE FLAG AND KNEEL FOR THE FALLEN

Wait..FtInnTiger did make some valid observations that i saw too but

Nov 11, 2018, 10:46 AM

didn’t say outloud. Saying, the frosh qb did pretty good overall but left some opportunities on the table.

Nuff said..still covered the 17 point spread & won!

Move on..to Duke!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes I Suppose Throwing a Game Killing Pick to Florida

Nov 11, 2018, 10:44 AM

is more stylish. TL missed a deep throw or two but his receivers quit on a few plays as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I give him a B

Nov 11, 2018, 10:52 AM

Missed a few deep throws, held the ball too long on some plays and had a bad pick right there at the end but overall he played well. The offensive gameplan though I'd rate a C-. Way too many perimeter plays when it was clear BC was keyed on stopping anything outside. Anything over the middle was money yet we kept going back to the perimeter. 3rd and 15 on our 30? Let's run it.... Definitely not the best game from the offensive staff.

If the MVP gets a B, what does everyone else get?

Nov 11, 2018, 10:54 AM

Certainly a B or less

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the MVP gets a B, what does everyone else get?

Nov 11, 2018, 11:15 AM

Sounds about right. When our starters play 4 quarters and only put up 20 points when we've been averaging over 50 the past few games, I'd definitely put that in the B or less area. It's not like we were playing Bama out there. Credit to BC for a hard fought game but statistically they're the 50th ranked defense in the nation. If we're clicking on all cylinders, that game is over by halftime.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:53 AM

Dude...he is a freshman. Yes we sink or swim with him, but he you better realize he is still learning and we are gonna take some licks because of that.

That said...even with said licks from his lack of experience, he has us in position to possibly win the ACC Championship and make it to the CFP to vie for another NC.

Stop being so harsh on the guy, and cut him some slack. When was the last true Freshman QB who has done what TL has done in college football?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 11:01 AM

I'm not knocking him. Just some valid observations. If we want to beat Alabama we will need his at least his B plus game and probably his A game....

Bad kickoff coverage and other bad special teams play kept this game closer than it should have been. It let BC hang around much longer than they should have.

Nov 11, 2018, 11:14 AM

I'd say a hurting Tua is much more of an issue then TL's rare so-so performance. And Hurts is recovering from surgery. I like Clemson's qb situation right now.

Nov 11, 2018, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: A critique and grade on Trevor's QB play against BC. ]

Somewhere between a B- and a C+.(Trevor)
Boston College deserves some credit for that. I would give a running backs the same grade.
Offensive line? C to C-.
Receivers B
Special teams B-
Defense A+++++

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's head and shoulders taller than DW was his freshman...

Nov 11, 2018, 11:31 AM

year. DW would have gone head first into a crowd at the line to gain and thrown half a dozen picks last night. He stayed injured half his first season.

I give Trevor an A. He faced a defense designed to confuse with many twist and curves thrown at him. He took the safe options with focus on protecting his body and still had good gains.

Several times I saw him and the RB's focused on letting Trevor read the play and make the decision whether to keep the ball or hand it off. That's been a big deal because those RB's have been snatching the ball out of his hands all year. I think Choice did it a couple times last night.

Leaving Trevor on the field wasn't about running up the score. It was about working through that problem and others which our offense faces. No, it's not perfect yet but the plan is laid out and last night was a big part of executing that plan.

Anyone who doesn't see this should consider taking a few more steps back and leave the emotion behind so they can get a objective overview of our offense and our plans to conquer the universe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 11:34 AM

As someone that was at BC and freezing my butt off with that wind in my face I thought his passing was great considering the gusts.

Nov 11, 2018, 5:22 PM

I think this is a point that isn’t getting a lot of traction. One of the games in Death Valley where people were a little underwhelmed with his deep ball was a high wind game. I’m just thrilled we have a QB that is taking these shots again. This is something he will get dialed in just imagine when he is hitting 75% on those type of throws too.

Nov 11, 2018, 11:38 AM

Most of this was BC's defense and game plan. They are routinely one of the best coached squads in the ACC. They successfully shut down the run and forced us into a pass-first offense, while also harassing TL effectively on his right side, forcing him to throw bad balls and make bad decisions. Certainly there is room for improvement, but overall he managed the situation better than KB would have. The KB offense would have made that game a 13-7 nail-biter.

Nov 11, 2018, 2:27 PM

If you are going to criticize TL’s performance focus less on the overthrows or freshman mental mistakes. Rather be more concerned about his not recognizing the corner blitz or locking on his primary receivers. These are the actual issues Bama or Michigan DC’s are going to be studying for a gameplan against us. It’s what in part will get us beat against top 5 teams.

Thinking of you

Nov 11, 2018, 11:55 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRYZijLZR-Q

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 4:37 PM

If you're grading TL compared to Tom Brady... C+ is a fair grade. If you're grading him as a true freshman QB... C+ means you're not very bright

We won on the road

Nov 11, 2018, 4:54 PM

Going to Charlotte

Both are worth more than your 2 cents

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 5:06 PM

My gosh, I’d love to see your performance review at your job.

Here’s what we know about TL last night...
First start in a primetime matchup on the road against a top 20 opponent with a 1st round DE as a true fresh and he was MVP of the game.

Move on.

Nov 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

BC has a smart experienced D. Their game plan was to show as many defensive looks as possible to confuse the freshman QB. They knew they could slow the run, but had to do something better than NC STATE and FSU did in pass defense. They did but not enough and TL won the battle and will be wiser in the future. 10-0 and 5 to go.

Nov 11, 2018, 6:17 PM

A lot of valid points on here. After the last 4 weeks, I think a lot of us assumed TL would just air it out at will.... Well, between the high winds and BC's defense, that wasn't going to happen. I agree that there will be a LOT of film for TL to study which should only improve his performance down the stretch. As with Syracuse, I'm glad this game came when it did (and we WON) as this kind of experience is WAY more valuable in the playoffs than playing a glorified scrimmage against Louisville.

One play I loved (and this was after BC took that freak 7-3 lead): TL sizing up the defense, changing the play on the line, and then throwing that beautiful deep ball down the sideline to Tee Higgins, setting up our first TD. That's some next-level stuff there.

Was it a perfect game? Not even close. But do I have faith in TL and Dabo and the D to take us to the promised land? (Especially considering Tua is looking more and more like he's one good hit away from being DONE?) Absolutely.

You forgot he caught his own pass to take a "sack"

Nov 11, 2018, 6:51 PM

and the fact that we're TEN-AND-O and headed for another playoff year with a true freshman quarterback that will receive at LEAST one Heisman and one Natty before he makes MVP in an NFL championship game.

Nov 11, 2018, 7:11 PM

Good post. We all knew Trevor was going to look like a true freshman in one of these games. I just glad he is so good that even his “bad” game looks a heii a lot better than most other QBs in college.

The only thing that wasn’t clear was if there was the wind

Nov 11, 2018, 9:00 PM

That they were all calling for. If it was windy then those long towering throws would be altered. That’s what I assumed was going on. Also remember Deshaun missed a lot of long throws too. So no one is perfect.

One thing is obvious: BC didn't take enough money

Nov 11, 2018, 9:18 PM

to the 1st down market

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic