Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Idle speculation on the ND/ACC situation ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Idle speculation on the ND/ACC situation ...

Jul 10, 2012, 9:25 AM

I dreamed my ex-wife was my mother and she didn't like my young new girlfriend...no wait that's not speculation...

1. The ACC only has one sure bid for the OB every year. That is our conference champion. There is no way the majority, 2/3 or any the Presidents would sign a deal with ND to give them a shot at that game without full membership.

2. Were the conference champs to seed in the playoff the second place team or the loser of the conference championship would take the OB bid. I don't see ND selling this bid to the ACC presidents either.

3. The selection committee seeds the ACC's opponent in the OB and every other spot in the bowls controlled by the BCS presidents oversight committee. There are 6 altogether and 9 of them are filled by contract.

The subject of the OB was not the focus of these meetings. If, as some say, ND will never give up independence then the meeting deal with ND finding a home for their BB team and olympic sports.

I believe that the ACC and any other conference would be delighted to take ND as full members. They might even give them full membership their first year of participation.

What I expect though is ND's agreeing to play the four top ACC football teams every year on a home/away basis. I think that is all we'll get out of these talks though I would be delighted to have them solidify the ACC.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND as a full member would solidify the ACC. As a partial

Jul 10, 2012, 9:29 AM

member they are a cancer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, if you are talking about the conference but....

Jul 10, 2012, 9:45 AM

the football schools would get great exposure on the road at ND. Every game would be primetime. In DV W/ND on the menu the Valley would be full and that game would also be a prime time game. It might get NBC interested in bidding on the TV rights to the ACC also.

It would give the ACC a shot at opening up the present contract with ESPiN and having two ND games per year might increase our revenues significantly. Were the game to be played on neutral sights they might go out for bid every year which according to the rankings of the teams might bring in a lot of money closing the gap between the SEC and ACC.

Primarily, I would accept ND as a partial for I know they would take Clemson, FSU, VT and GT over the other schools for their SOS/RPI.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are some things wrong in your post.

Jul 10, 2012, 9:54 AM

1. ESPN owns the ACC contract. NBC can not bid on it even if they wanted to. Adding ND does not void the ESPN contract. Yes, it could open it up somewhat for renegotiation with ESPN ($$$), but it would not go to the open market. And you can bet the dollars would not increase significantly from ESPN just because ND is willing to play a couple of ACC teams each year.

2. You're assuming the four games ND agrees to play would be Clemson, FSU, VaT, and GaT. There is no way ND will play those teams every year. They have a rivalry with Pitt, BC, and Miami. Who do you think they will choose to play. They also play USC, Michigan, Michigan St, Standord every year. They don't need to boost their SOS.

I'll agree they are debatable but without conceding.

Jul 10, 2012, 10:15 AM

A contract between the ACC and ND would very likely if not absolutely open the TV revenues for amendments. ESPiN owns only the home ACC games. How could we sell a game hosted by another conference or any road game. I am not saying ESPiN doesn't own the right to other conferences' game but they do not own the right to ND's games.

If they don't open out contract for review then we might be planning on taking game at neutral sights. I don't really like this but it would help pay the bills.

If those besterds expect to put their olympic sports in the ACC they would be required to give up some or all of the B1G games. Therefore, they would need strong SOS team to replace them. If not, then we might have expected them to be talking to the B1G. They probably are and just shopping for the best deal.

^^^ THIS ^^^ ND doesn't need the money. They're just

Jul 10, 2012, 9:51 AM [ in reply to ND as a full member would solidify the ACC. As a partial ]

trying to remain relevant on the national stage, keep a seat at the table. They need to work on that now. With their schedule, they will be lucky to go 8-4 and could easily go 6-6.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IFIFY

Jul 10, 2012, 9:52 AM [ in reply to ND as a full member would solidify the ACC. As a partial ]

ND is a cancer.

Re: ND as a full member would solidify the ACC. As a partial

Jul 10, 2012, 1:24 PM [ in reply to ND as a full member would solidify the ACC. As a partial ]

agree! very good post

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Idle speculation on the ND/ACC situation ...

Jul 10, 2012, 9:46 AM

I don't see how the ACC can set up games with its top teams and ND in the regular season and agree to let ND into the Orange bowl if they qualify. That would produce a lot of rematches in the Orange bowl and kill TV ratings.

null

The ACC does not have the power to put ND in the OB...

Jul 10, 2012, 9:49 AM

unless we give them the spot our conference champion has. That ain't going to happen.

Re: The ACC does not have the power to put ND in the OB...

Jul 10, 2012, 10:34 AM

The ACC controls Media rights to the Orange bowl. I am guessing that means the ACC has the most power in deciding how the opponent will be selected to reach maximum TV money. It may be a contract signed by the Orange bowl but the ACC has a huge input.

null

Our conference will have at least one representative on ...

Jul 10, 2012, 10:43 AM

the selection committee. He will have one vote when an ACC team is not being considered.

9 of the spots in the six BCSPOC bowls are filled by contract. If the ACC has control over one of the other spots why has that not been publicized? Why has it not been discussed? Why has Swaffie not bragged about it touting how well he did in the discussions? It's just not so. We have no control over who our opponents will be in the OB. We can not bargian with something that is not ours.

I hate to be this was but Swofford got us a fair shake in this deal and he now has ND over the barrel on conference affiliation. Any deal he makes will be positive and benefit Clemson. If he makes no deal we lose nothing.

The only way ND gets in the OB is by being good enough to place or winning a ACCCC game and they can't do that on the outside looking in.

outside of the 4 playoff spots and rotation-- the bowls and

Jul 10, 2012, 10:48 AM

conferences were allowed to do as they please-- reciprocal agreements for replacements can be made between the bowls---- if you go back to Swoffords answering the questions he alluded to discussions with ND and other alternatives for quality opponents.

It wouldn't bother me to be wrong in this instance.

Jul 10, 2012, 10:58 AM

That would be even a more stellar agreement than I presumed.

At this point I will take your advice and do some research to see if I can verify my take or come back and retract my statements. I assure you, It was not my intent to deceive anyone on this issue.

Re: It wouldn't bother me to be wrong in this instance.

Jul 10, 2012, 11:05 AM

Would you go so far as to say which conference or conferences you would like to align with?

JS: It could be a conference, it could be multiple conferences, it could be considerably broader than that. We’ll just have to see as we continue the discussions on the possibilities.

What about specifically Notre Dame? Is that a possibility?

JS: I think it’s likely Notre Dame could be involved in the mix.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/40454/acc-commish-talks-orange-bowl

I'm still not sure one way or the other.

Jul 10, 2012, 11:42 AM

Reading further in that article I found this:

JS: It starts with our champion in terms of the Orange Bowl itself. If our champion is not in the top four, they’re in the Orange Bowl. If they are, then it’s up to the ACC and the bowl to determine which team other than our champion will play in the Orange Bowl that particular year. We’ll need to have a conversation about how that team is selected. It could be the next-highest rated team. It could be the loser of the championship game. We haven’t made that determination yet. I’d say it’s likely to be the highest-rated team, but we have some discussing to do about that.

So it’s not accurate to say it’s going to be the runner-up of the ACC title game?

JS: Not necessarily. THIS from the same article.

On another note: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8126294/atlantic-coast-conference-agrees-12-year-deal-discover-orange-bowl

The game will feature the champion of the ACC, unless that team is chosen to play in the newly announced four-team playoffs. In that case, a replacement team from the ACC would play in the Orange Bowl. The ACC team playing in the Orange Bowl is likely to face a highly seeded at-large team in the annual game, sources told ESPN's Joe Schad

Considering both articles it seem a solid alignment with ND is not likely for want of the highest ranked teams although ND may bring in the biggest audience and most money.

You guys haven't changed my opinion on this but you've provided enough information to cloud the issue and make me understand it is likely that the truth of who chooses our opponent has not been clearly defined. I therefore retract the statement that the selection committee has the power here. I also add, I had no intentions to deceive or spin this topic but just want a good open discussion and thank you all for your participation.

exactly-- ACC is in control of this***

Jul 10, 2012, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: The ACC does not have the power to put ND in the OB... ]

Yep

Jul 10, 2012, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: The ACC does not have the power to put ND in the OB... ]

Its interesting how some jump to conclusions and expect the worst.

dude

Jul 10, 2012, 9:50 AM

you married your mother?!!?

another whiskey-tango-foxtrot moment here on the tnet.

forget the acc for a moment, i was hoping conference championship was a standard for participation in the upcoming playoff if only to force ND to loose her 'independence'.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great consideration is to be given to conference champs...

Jul 10, 2012, 10:04 AM

by the selection committee. Since the big five have bowl tie in by contract I suspect the statement and agreement was to get the lesser conferences onboard with the agreement. I think the SEC and perhaps the other four may be expecting two spots in the top six bowls.

As for seeding in the playoff, conference champs will take a seed above all but an exceptional good, undefeated team from other than the big five. That team would also need to have a SOS/RPI in the top five or ten. I really believe this is all about money so expecting it to be fair may be naive but I think it will be fair.

My ex-wife thought she was my mother and I was a child. I wonder why?

it'll be interesting how they maintain 'transparency' thru

Jul 10, 2012, 10:21 AM

the process. i feel dirty for using that term, but the paying public needs to see that the best possible 4[8, 16] are included for it to work.

i think many saw how many reacted to the rematch last year; don't need repeats of espin's obvious hand in things.

you seem tall for your age. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the loss of viewership in the last MNC was exactly..

Jul 10, 2012, 10:35 AM

what got the BCSPOC's attention. Avoiding a repeat of that debacle is what this playoff is about. It was about the money not the fan's dissatisfaction but their attention.

Many, and I agree, expect the form of the NCAAB selection committee to be used. Conference Commissioners will be present and after the seeding is announced each will declare the selection to be fair and transparent. That is all we will get.

When interviewed they can claim to be absent when a team from their conference was voted on and therefore direct the questions to other who will use 'legal talk,' to distract and avoid specifics.

You should feel dirty for using the word, it's legal speak and meaningless.

You should also feed dirty about exposing my height to the world. I thought that was going to be our secret.

they've gone as far as to suggest having a member of the

Jul 10, 2012, 10:41 AM

media[shudder] or an 'outsider' there to help insure the dirty word understanding of course confidentiality must be maintained.

you said it was meaningless, i proved you right and you're angry with me?

sup with that?

Who's angry? I'm still drunk from the RN thing.***

Jul 10, 2012, 10:45 AM

my bad, thought that sioux blood of yours was gettin up

Jul 10, 2012, 10:49 AM

again, gonna go full custer on me or sumthin...

;)

i am gonna burn, i know.

Now I am angry. My ex was the souix I'm cherokee.

Jul 10, 2012, 10:53 AM

I'm puttin on the war paint on my pinto right now. I use Paw prints these day instead of hand prints.

dang, my bad, but maybe we can get passed all that & you

Jul 10, 2012, 11:47 AM

can hook me up with some passes to harrah's cherokee...

you the best.

:)

With blue eyes, blonde hair (what's left) I'd buy you...

Jul 10, 2012, 11:58 AM

a ticket. I'm truly shunned by my own people. Talk about racism.

sounds like ole georgie custer might be hangin out around

Jul 10, 2012, 12:01 PM

your great grandmumma's teepee back in the day.

once a tiger, always a tiger my friend.

now about that ticket. ;)

Yep, granny said he was quite a find.

Jul 10, 2012, 12:09 PM

I think she had the privilege of scalping that maroon after the impregnation then she told everyone his ego was the only thing about him that was more than small.

I looked at ND's posted schedule for the next several years .

Jul 10, 2012, 10:30 AM

Looks like they are 'kinda booked ... can a team modify thier future schedule? Really, I don't know

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Idle speculation on the ND/ACC situation ...

Jul 10, 2012, 10:35 AM

Not sure I see how ND can be a tie-in. What is the criteria? For e.g - if they are 7-6 or thereabouts - & the ACC champ (assume they did not make the semi-finals) is 10-2.

Do they still play ND? It would be like giving ND an automatic spot - since there is no other criteria.

I'm sure I'm missing something - help me out...?

they could put specific criteria-- for example 9 or 10 wins

Jul 10, 2012, 10:43 AM

minimum with certain ranking, etc.--- ND has been tied to other bowls in the past in a similar manner

The OB is one of the six whose control is maintain by...

Jul 10, 2012, 10:51 AM

the BCS Presidents Oversight Committee. They and they alone have control over the process on placement in these bowls. They have agreed that the B1G/PAC has a contract with the Rose likewise SEC/Big 12 the Champions and ACC one spot in the Orange. The other spots and playoff seeding will be handled by the selection committee. The ACC has no power to give or sell other than the one OB spot our champs get.

Re: The OB is one of the six whose control is maintain by...

Jul 10, 2012, 11:01 AM

CT1988 - if you are accurate - then it seems that any discussion with ND for the second OB spot is useless. ...?

That was my theory. Though reading the responses through-

Jul 10, 2012, 11:55 AM

out this thread information has become evident that gives me doubt.

My supposition was that with everyone saying 9 of the 12 spots in the BCSPOC controlled bowls would be filled by contract leaving the selection committee to only seed the playoff and choose the other three.

It appears that might be a false assumption. If it turns out that I was wrong then so were the other hundreds of articles claiming 9 of 12 were filled by contracts when in fact 10 of 12 will be taken.

It may be that when the OB is in rotation for a first round playoff venue the selection committee chooses the ACC champs bowl and also the opponent. The ACC and OB may indeed have the power to select the other team when the OB is not involved in the playoff.

If my theory hold water, which at this point is doubtful, the ND/ACC discussion were only for conference membership or some affiliation considering olympic sports and regular season football relations.

Never-the-less, if the ACC give up something to automatically put ND in the OB mix and take the olympic sports onboard the football teams will squeal like a pig without home/away game with ND.

Re: That was my theory. Though reading the responses through-

Jul 10, 2012, 12:10 PM

CT1988 - thanks for your thoughts - just trying to get my mind around this situation myself.

This yahoo article indicated the ACC may have a voice...

Jul 10, 2012, 1:08 PM

in the selection of our opponents if they are qualified to participate.

"The ACC signed a 12-year deal with the Orange Bowl last week that starts in 2014, when the postseason format changes to a four-team playoff.

The deal gives ACC members access to Orange Bowl in years the game does not host a national semifinal.

Notre Dame is interested in a deal that would give the Fighting Irish an automatic landing spot in some seasons in which they are good enough to play in a top-tier game but do not make the playoff.

A Notre Dame spokesman says in a statement athletic director Jack Swarbrick has had discussions with ACC officials ''relating to the Orange Bowl'' and university presidents have been consulted."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/notre-dame-acc-talk-orange-005724868--ncaaf.html

Perhaps the selection committee has the power to pick the teams bound for the 6 BCSPOC bowls but only seed the playoff.

I could live with that. If the ACC champs doesn't make the playoff no one else free and qualified to participate in the OB would bring in a larger audience and therefor ND would be selected purely for economic reasons.

Therefore I'm back to the original theory that the ACC/ND talks included partial or complete membership.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic