Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Diary of a Clemson Fan in Tampa With No Tickets
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Diary of a Clemson Fan in Tampa With No Tickets

Jan 11, 2017, 6:02 PM

Maybe no one cares but figure there may be a few interested in how it went for a Tiger fan who made the trip to Tampa and wasn't lucky enough (or rich enough) to get their hands on a ticket.

Group of us guys had this trip planned for weeks. We had been monitoring tickets for a while and had committed that we'd go no matter what. We expected tickets to go way down day of game as they did last year but we knew they'd never get to the same price point. What we didn't expect was what actually happened: Supply went to 1 on stubhub at kickoff.

Nevertheless, we made the trip and stayed at the Quality Inn Cruise port with my hotel points. Got there Sunday evening and attended Clemson Tom's pre-gamenight party at Yeoman Cask and Lion.

Later that night (Sunday), while getting out of the car at the hotel, a 6'10 70 year old Bama fan was getting out of his car and struck up a conversation. We had a few beers with what came to be Mr. George Harrison. George had many stories to share with us, including being the very first basketball player that Bear Bryant signed as AD of Alabama and the fact that he went to school with and knew Danny Ford. After telling George we believed Clemson would win the game his response was: "Welllllll noooooo sh*t!!! I hoped we'd never see #4 again." George was hilarious as he**.

#34 George Harrison blocking Dan Issel

The next day (Monday, Game Day) we went by Walmart before heading to the stadium to get beer and learned that Tajh Boyd and Mark Ingram were signing autographs in the store. Got a picture with both, autographed pictures of both and Boyd autographed the sleeve of my Clemson shirt. Not a bad trip to Walmart.

We then proceeded to our parking lot and walked around the stadium, took pictures and got some memorabilia. We continued to monitor ticket prices but they only went higher and higher. On the way down they were $1500 after stubhub fees and we were hoping to get them under $1000 with fees. At 3pm on gameday they were at $2,000 with fees.

We left the stadium and had an early dinner at WingHouse. If you're ever in the Tampa area and you're a blue-blooded American Male I highly recommend you check this place out. Makes Hooters seem like a Golden Coral.

At dinner we decided to drive back to the stadium and watch the game at a tailgate we heard about from a friend.

The tailgate was amazing. It was basically a makeshift dance club with a huge tent and 3 TV's. Tons of people dancing and doing the cadence count before the game a huge crowd with eyes peeled toward the TVs during the game. Directly behind us was a clear shot of the stadium where we could see the fireworks, the flyover and the paratroopers parachuting in. It was spectacular.

Pic of tailgate

Throughout the game there was a 5 second delay from the stadium to the TVs so you could see the fireworks go up before any score happened on TV. During the last play at the goal line everyone had turned around and was staring at the stadium. We knew if no fireworks came it was bad. We waited in agony it seemed for 5-10 minutes. As soon as the fireworks came up everyone went berserk. Then we watched the play on TV as renfrow caught the ball it went berserk again. I've linked a video below showing immediately after the TD on TV. In hindsight I wish I had been videoing stadium while waiting for the fireworks. The feeling is indescribable how we all felt in that parking lot. I never knew how much fun I could have when not even attending a game.

Video of Tailgate after Renfrow TD
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=1298469

Part of me wondered if I would regret going to Tampa if we didn't get tickets. I can say I have no regrets and would do all over again the same way. I will never spend more than $700 for a national championship ticket. I'd just have to find this guys' tailgate at the stadium.

Whoever you are, thank you so much for doing what you did. I'm sure it wasn't an easy nor cheap setup and without it we wouldn't have had the most memorable time that we've had in years. Thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Diary of a Clemson Fan in Tampa With No Tickets

Jan 11, 2017, 6:25 PM

Great story!! Was wondering about fans that had made the trip without tickets. Saw plenty of people looking but none for sale. The best game I have ever attended!! Glad you had a great time as well!! Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For sure you'll have a story to tell! Glad you

Jan 11, 2017, 6:25 PM

Had a great experience.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw this right behind The Pirate's Den.

Jan 11, 2017, 6:28 PM

I thought the TV's looked really cool. I found out after the game that he only charged $25 to get in...AND there was free beer and food. What a deal!

Re: I saw this right behind The Pirate's Den.

Jan 11, 2017, 6:48 PM

That must have been a different tailgate. This particular tailgate was behind the opposite end zone across the street. It was basically across the street from the Yankees spring-training field. There was no charge to attend this tailgate we just walked right up and so did everyone else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh haha, oops. The one I saw looked just like it with the 3 TVs.

Jan 11, 2017, 6:52 PM

He was selling bracelets for $25, but you got all your beer and food for free. Still seemed like a great deal.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.***

Jan 11, 2017, 6:29 PM

Jan 11, 2017, 6:57 PM

That is what I call making lemonade out of a lemon...great attitude, heard of another Father who drove down from the Lowcountry with his daughter and I don't believe ever got in. You are a great Tiger fan. Wonderful night, sorry tickets were so hard to get and expensive. They were still expensive but KUDO's to IPTAY. If you joined, everyone that requested got at least 2 tickets at face value.

Jan 11, 2017, 9:39 PM

Donating to Iptay is something my wife and I have always wanted to do but have yet to pull the trigger due to our distance from Clemson. (4 hours) we would only be able to attended half of the home games at most even if we could afford the weekend trips. We may donate this year and sel the season tickets to buy lower level tickets to a couple games. Really don't want to miss the next time we make it back and I know it will be soon.

That sounds like an awesome experience. Thanks for

Jan 11, 2017, 6:59 PM

sharing. You just never know what's gonna happen next when things don't first go your way.

Go Tigers! National Champions! Wow!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was Clemson Tom's

Jan 11, 2017, 7:00 PM

Tailgate

Similar story with Converted Ambulance

Jan 11, 2017, 7:41 PM

We also had the same experience at a different location near the huge blow up Tiger in the Bus lot. Thanks to the Tiger who let me, my friends and approximately 50 people sit around his converted ambulance to enjoy the game! Great sound and large screen TV. It Felt like a home game. Watching the fireworks before the scores added another level of fun. Though we didn't get in we had a blast with our tiger brethren. Would do it again in a second .

Re: Similar story with Converted Ambulance

Jan 11, 2017, 9:36 PM

That was directly across from where we parked in lot 11. We passed the tiger as we came in. Your thoughts are my thoughts exactly. Would do all over again in a minute so long as ticket prices are out of reach.

Re: That was Clemson Tom's

Jan 11, 2017, 9:34 PM [ in reply to That was Clemson Tom's ]

Are you sure? He was definitely not at this tailgate unless he decided to attend the game. From what we understood from him the night before his viewing party was at a bar.

Re: That was Clemson Tom's

Jan 11, 2017, 9:49 PM

Clemson Toms viewing party was at Millers Ale House.I was there partying with Clemson Tom and we had a blast.

THAT is awesome!!! Glad you had such a wonderful trip!***

Jan 11, 2017, 9:52 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: THAT is awesome!!! Glad you had such a wonderful trip!***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:23 AM

Thanks Suzi!

Jan 11, 2017, 10:06 PM

We did the same thing. We found a small hill under an oak tree north of the stadium. We could see the big video screen. There were about 20 Clemson fans there. We stood for the National Anthem and cheered for big plays. We even had one guy run down the "hill" we were sitting on. It was the best game we didn't go to.

Jan 12, 2017, 9:24 AM

No doubt about it. The best time I've ever had not attending a game. And to think we had a couple guys back out on their commitment to go and they still claim they had more fun on their couch. pshhhhhh

Jan 12, 2017, 3:44 PM

I enjoyed reading your story, and I applaud you for making the trip despite the risk of not being able to get a ticket. I'm sorry you weren't able to get a ticket. It really is a guessing game sometimes when it comes to buying tickets.

I had an opportunity to buy a ticket online for the 2015 ACC Championship game at a price that was slightly higher than than maximum amount that I was willing to pay. I convinced myself that prices would drop a day or so before the game, and passed on the ticket. As it turned out, ticket prices only went up from there, and if I recall correctly, the price almost doubled. I totally misjudged the situation.

Anyway, it's nice to hear that although your original plan did not work out, the tailgate you found turned out to be a memorable experience.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic