Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
i totally underestimated the liberals reaction to J. Kennedy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 721

i totally underestimated the liberals reaction to J. Kennedy

Jun 28, 2018, 8:55 AM

I knew they would be apologetic and angry, but I didnt realize they would start eating their own so soon

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just wait till Ginsburg retires

Jun 28, 2018, 9:06 AM

Will be more of the same. Do you think she can last another 6 years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she'll stroke out before then***

Jun 28, 2018, 9:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It'll be a total Weekend at Bernies situation...

Jun 28, 2018, 9:43 AM

not sure it isn't already...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just wait till Ginsburg retires

Jun 28, 2018, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Just wait till Ginsburg retires ]

She'll retire in 2021 when a Dem can appoint her replacement.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she's had cancer twice and is 85

Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 AM

check the actuarial tables ....

Re: she's had cancer twice and is 85

Jun 28, 2018, 9:39 AM

Trump is gone in 2.5 years.

Plus if the Dems win the Senate this year, she can announce in 2020 and make it an election issue.

whatever chance the dems had at taking the senate just got

Jun 28, 2018, 9:46 AM

a lot slimmer.

Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Manchin, Joe Donnelly, and a few others will be hard pressed to vote against Trump's nominee. If they vote against him/her, they're toast. Trump's base also now has a reason to show up at the polls now.

Re: whatever chance the dems had at taking the senate just got

Jun 28, 2018, 9:52 AM

It's hilarious that everything that ever happens will galvanize conservatives and get them to the polls, as if liberals and moderates are totally unaffected by current events.

take BravoCoot as an example

Jun 28, 2018, 9:56 AM

he's a self identified one issue voter - abortion. there are lots of folks like him that only vote because of abortion / the Court. This motivates them. Secondarily would would taxes. Defense a distant third.

Liberals are much more like cats. Obama was a truck load of catnip but otherwise its hard to herd them. Otherwise, its gays for some, women for others, civil rights for others, social spending, etc... with lots of one issue discrete voters.

Re: Just wait till Ginsburg retires

Jun 28, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Just wait till Ginsburg retires ]

She will do her best to stay there, but if Trump wins again is no way she will make it.

Re: i totally underestimated the liberals reaction to J. Kennedy

Jun 28, 2018, 9:10 AM

How are libs apologetic?

haha meant apoplectic***

Jun 28, 2018, 9:16 AM

Haha..that is funny.

Jun 28, 2018, 9:27 AM

Now I get it. I just think some libs are angry because they are facing the reality of the blunder that was last election. There was a low turn out among libs. They were trying to act like that Hillary was so awful they would either not vote or maybe vote for Stein. They thought Hillary would win anyway. The media didn't make them realize the urgency, so people just assumed she would win. I knew about the Supreme Court and the chance that the winner might have 4 spots to fill while in office. That's the main reason I voted Hillary. I have a friend singing the blues now voted for Stein. What a fool he was. I have no sympathy.

Jun 28, 2018, 9:18 AM

Examples?

I've had lots of Democrat friends

Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 AM

blaming "Bernie Bots" for bailing on "Her." Other's blaming "Her." Others saying the Senate Dem leadership doesnt have what it takes to fight.

I blame Bernie Bots.*****

Jun 28, 2018, 9:28 AM

Re: I blame Bernie Bots.*****

Jun 28, 2018, 9:32 AM

I blame an awful candidate, Hillary Clinton. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well that obviously is the main reason.

Jun 28, 2018, 9:59 AM

She was awful. That said, I still think that a liberal should know that there were really only 2 options and there would be consequences like the Supreme Court. I really truly think that many libs thought for sure she would win, so they wanted to be able to say they didn't for her. If they really thought she might lose, they would have voted for her.

Re: Well that obviously is the main reason.

Jun 28, 2018, 10:08 AM

I think you're right. A single trip to the Midwest in the last week would have signaled that something was up and I think she'd have won.

But she was never playing to win, she played prevent defense the whole time. Her pick of Kaine instead of a young, vibrant VP proved that.

The media also helped cost the Dems the election.

Jun 28, 2018, 10:24 AM

They made it sound like it was basically a done deal. It made people not show up. It made them vote for Stein possibly in cases. Stein's votes alone to Hillary and she wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQuEI5Y22I

Re: Well that obviously is the main reason.

Jun 28, 2018, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Well that obviously is the main reason. ]

This liberal wouldn't have voted for her in any circumstance.

Enough of just going along to be going along. Nominate someone we all can get behind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So really you are a Trumpster

Jun 28, 2018, 11:05 PM

There were 2 options.

Re: I've had lots of Democrat friends

Jun 28, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to I've had lots of Democrat friends ]

Check Twitter.

You'd think wwiii just began. ??

Re: I've had lots of Democrat friends

Jun 28, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to I've had lots of Democrat friends ]

Well that's every day. They're both right. Hillary ran a bad campaign and Bernie screwed her.

Jun 28, 2018, 9:45 AM

I don't think it's just liberals that are upset. Plenty of people, like myself, who would identify as independent or even moderate republicans realize the negative impact this will have on scores of people, possibly for a generation or more...and the impacts will be felt far beyond Roe v Wade or gay marriage. I know in this age of 'us vs. them' many of you take great joy in this...but for many of us, this is a truly somber moment.

the train wreck that is Trump actually has little impact

Jun 28, 2018, 9:52 AM

on the Court appointment. Pretty much whoever Trump appoints would have been the same if Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Bush etc... would have won. That seat was going to remain in the conservative column unless "She" won. Thats the nature of our current political situation. As a nation, we don't appoint moderates to the Supreme Court anymore.

(and please don't say Garland. Just because he wasn't as wacky as RBG doesn't make him moderate. his voting would have mimicked Bryer).

Re: the train wreck that is Trump actually has little impact

Jun 28, 2018, 10:10 AM

Yes maybe it would be the same, maybe, but we libs realize we lost to a very weak candidate due to Hillary being awful. She was forced on us. That said, I think Trump will try to be a jerk about these picks. Trump was a liberal 15 years ago. He will possibly go extreme hard core conservative though now, because he hates libs. He is at war. He will pander to the most extreme right. I don't see him going moderate. I think some other Repubs would have gone moderate with their pick. Time will tell what Trump does.

Jun 28, 2018, 10:36 AM

The one thing that's interesting is Roe. I have a buddy who works on Capitol Hill (for a Republican) and he's told me that Roe being overturned is a nightmare that keeps some GOP operatives up at night. And he's not alone in that observation. Then it becomes a state issue and the map doesn't work in their favor for very long. In most states, it'll be a settled issue pretty quickly and then their #1 issue is gone. There aren't many states where it then becomes a helpful issue.

There may be pressure behind the scenes on Trump for someone who is pro life, but not too much.

Jun 28, 2018, 10:51 AM

Yeah I think overturning Roe v Wade would end up a nightmare for Repubs. One issue where I agree with conservatives is affirmative action. I will be happy when that is no longer.

yep! its a rainmaker issue for both sides for sure***

Jun 28, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: the train wreck that is Trump actually has little impact ]

Jun 28, 2018, 10:15 AM [ in reply to the train wreck that is Trump actually has little impact ]

Cruz's pick, maybe...but I think the rest would have picked someone more moderate than Gorsuch. This next pick will almost certainly (I think) be an even bigger bone for the evangelicals, which scares me on many levels. The next 20-30 years, the US may look more like a theocracy than it ever has.

Jun 28, 2018, 10:35 AM

I bet Trump has paid for plenty of abortions in his life too.

What exactly are you worried that a SCOTUS would

Jun 28, 2018, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: the train wreck that is Trump actually has little impact ]

do to push us closer to a Theocracy?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one of my friends from law school thinks

Jun 28, 2018, 11:00 AM

that they will overturn Brown v. Board of Education. Even the smart ones are delusional.

That is definitely far out there, but it's not really

Jun 28, 2018, 11:10 AM

related to having a Theocracy.

well they read the Free Exercise clause

Jun 28, 2018, 11:26 AM

and the Establishment clause quite differently than a conservative textualist would. For instance, they see the recent cake case as theocratic. And, they don't recognize irreligion as another species of religion but as what the government should establish.

Re: That is definitely far out there, but it's not really

Jun 28, 2018, 11:32 AM [ in reply to That is definitely far out there, but it's not really ]

Well, not a theocracy in any official sense, but I do have a concern that we will functionally get much closer, especially here in the South. The court will kick issues like abortion, gay marriage, etc. back down to the state level...and we all know how that will end up here in SC and most other red states.

I like the idea of people having a chance to live in a place

Jun 28, 2018, 11:59 AM

in which their values make up their own government. But I also am a believer in the Constitution ensuring basic rights across the entire country. (But NOT outside our borders)

I am very much anti-abortion and very much pro gay marriage. But I also want people to be able to focus more on contributing to a local government that represents them, instead of the govt trying to "fix" people.

I believe states should have much more authority to decide social issues, unless it conflicts with the Constitution.

To me, the government should get out of the business of marriage altogether. So I am pro-gay marriage as a result. If straight people get tax benefits, then why shouldn't gay people? To me, that would be a religious argument, which is not appropriate.

But abortion is different. That is literally killing another human being. It makes perfect sense to me that if killing another person without consent should be illegal, then obviously abortion is illegal under that logic. To make a moral distinction between killing people who are further developed and live outside the mother's womb, and killing people who are less developed and still live inside the mother's womb is completely arbitrary. It's also ghastly.

Anyway, I see abortion as against the Constitution. I see gay marriage as not against the Constitution.

I know this is an insane thought.

Jun 28, 2018, 4:24 PM [ in reply to the train wreck that is Trump actually has little impact ]

Why can't they appoint someone who reads and interprets laws and if they are in fact constitutional or not. Instead of someone interested legislating from the bench.

Crazy.. I know..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Theyre making it look bigger than it is.

Jun 28, 2018, 11:07 AM

They have the media.
They have Hollywood.
They have deranged politicians.

Next we will see another round of paid protesters popping up in major cities, oh oops, wait a second...aaaaand there it is.

https://imgur.com/a/4m77cxz

More jobs created by Trump.

Just from this thread alone, you can tell they are still

Jun 28, 2018, 11:35 AM

really butthurt about Clinton losing.

That's a sting that seemingly just won't sooth.

Re: Just from this thread alone, you can tell they are still

Jun 28, 2018, 11:47 AM

Man, it's not butthurt...it's legitimate fear that peoples lives will be irrevocably changed for the worse. To make light of that I think says a lot. If you are a straight white male evangelical, life will be awesome...everyone else is screwed.

Fear. I read that a lot.

Jun 28, 2018, 11:53 AM

I've been reading and hearing it since Trump got elected, and also read seemingly everyday, the exaggerated and down right false claims of how scared people are.

What is it you're scared of?

Re: Fear. I read that a lot.

Jun 28, 2018, 12:12 PM

I agree there has been a lot of hyperbole...but I do have real fear that basic (and previously settled) rights like abortion, gay marriage, etc. will disappear. I fear an increased deference to corporations when it comes to things like workers rights, the environment, and consumer protection.

Basically, I fear that almost every advancement we (as a country) have made in the past 100 years to expand/ensure the rights of individuals will be undone in just a few years by an egotistical child who has no respect or familiarity with the constitution and zealots who won't hesitate to put their own personal religious views above anything and everything else. Hell, they see it as their calling/purpose in life and that SHOULD scare the living #### out of everyone else.

You give a lot of credit to a guy who can't even get along

Jun 28, 2018, 12:55 PM

with his own party.

Re: Fear. I read that a lot.

Jun 28, 2018, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Fear. I read that a lot. ]

I can't think of a bigger a-hole thing to say than that someone else's fears are false and exaggerated.

Why?

Jun 28, 2018, 12:48 PM

Especially when those fears are completely irrational?

Illegals invading/infesting us and the 'browing' of America!

Jun 28, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Fear. I read that a lot. ]

wait, you were talking more about liberal fear mongering weren't you?

It's not like that's not actually happening though

Jun 28, 2018, 4:51 PM

Whether you think it's a good thing or not, the impact to our culture and society over the past 20-30 years is quite observable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not an invasion or infestation.***

Jun 28, 2018, 5:10 PM

What kind of windfall should I expect as a straight white

Jun 28, 2018, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Just from this thread alone, you can tell they are still ]

male?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We gettin' our Trump check in the mail!***

Jun 28, 2018, 12:47 PM

Yeeehawww!!! We gonna be able to get back to being the root

Jun 28, 2018, 12:52 PM

cause of everyone's problems now boiii!!

Yeah! When am I gettin mine?

Jun 28, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to We gettin' our Trump check in the mail!*** ]

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What kind of windfall should I expect as a straight white

Jun 28, 2018, 1:26 PM [ in reply to What kind of windfall should I expect as a straight white ]

No windfall, so to speak. I think we will just continue to get more of the same we have enjoyed for the last few hundred years, while everyone else will get....well....less.

Unless you're talking about tax burdens, and being the scape

Jun 28, 2018, 2:21 PM

goat for everyone else's problems, I really don't know what you mean by this.

Do you actually believe that?

Jun 28, 2018, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Just from this thread alone, you can tell they are still ]

Kennedy ruled with the conservatives on the court 90% of the time. It's not really going to change a whole lot.

GO TIGERS!!

Well, we have the President still out there campaigning

Jun 28, 2018, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Just from this thread alone, you can tell they are still ]

and won't shut up about the election either, so there's that.

Re: i totally underestimated the liberals reaction to

Jun 28, 2018, 12:54 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRRTmnsM2vQ

Replies: 59
| visibility 721
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic