Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey B-12 Kool-Aid Drinkers! What Do You Think Of This.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Hey B-12 Kool-Aid Drinkers! What Do You Think Of This.....

May 23, 2012, 12:59 AM

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=571441

Assumption is you read this all the way through....

Thanks to Clemson81to85 for originally posting this, great info!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey B-12 Kool-Aid Drinkers! What Do You Think Of This.....

May 23, 2012, 1:13 AM

I see this as an opinion. It states the ACC takes athletics seriously..uh, maybe everything but football., and the opportunity for long term revenue...but it's too late! The ACC has already been left behind as a football conference..andover the next decade financially. Maybe they're referring to basketball.

The Big 12 and SEC have already made an agreement for a major bowl, the ACC will be forced to play the BE or ND every year.

Clemson and FSU already have one foot out the door IMO.

I may be wrong, but that's just my opinion. And of course I hate tobacco road.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All that map did was show the potential the ACC had

May 23, 2012, 5:06 AM

Swofford could have done some real damage and turned the ACC in to a power FOOTBALL conference and not just a basketball conference. Football is what brings the big cash in...not basketball. What does he do? Adds Pitt and Cuse. Lol...this man is the biggest idiot that ever come down the pike. He took the risk and now its gonna bite him...it appears much of the acc is gonna take its cookies and give it to another conference and see what they can do with it. ACC is pretty much done except for a cpl or few basketball schools...lets see how that works.

He's a GT fan on a forum. And a Ron Paul supporter which

May 23, 2012, 1:19 AM

shows what a nut he is. I'm a hard core Libertarian and fiscal conservative, but Ron Paul is a loon.

He's not a member of any media outlet and he's dumb enough to actually think FSU has financial issues, which they do not.

Uh, FSU's athletic department finished $2.6 M in the red

May 23, 2012, 2:31 AM

last year.

You're right. The guy is definitely off base, but...

May 23, 2012, 7:18 AM [ in reply to He's a GT fan on a forum. And a Ron Paul supporter which ]

FSU's financial problems are real. Ask their alumni. They're having trouble selling out games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: He's a GT fan on a forum. And a Ron Paul supporter which

May 23, 2012, 9:51 AM [ in reply to He's a GT fan on a forum. And a Ron Paul supporter which ]

watch ya mouth Lowcountry. If you think Ron Paul is a nut you're no libertarian. His philosphy is at the heart of libertarianism. You have no clue what you are talking about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's like him saying he's "a hard-core

May 23, 2012, 10:43 AM

Christian, but Matthew & John were wack jobs."

Or he's "a hard-core Confederate, but Robert E. Lee a dip-####."

Or he's "a pure T communist, but Karl Marx doesn't do anything for me."

Or he's a "100% Roman Catholic, but the Pope's a dork."

Or his "favorite music is jazz, but Louis Armstrong's a loser."

etc..
etc..
etc..

Thanks for reposting ... Looking at SEC Map, it's clear why

May 23, 2012, 1:19 AM

many are saying Va Tech and a NC school (NCSU or UNC) are the next targets for Commissioner Slive. It makes a lot of sense geographically and financially.

Looks like SEC is not possible for Clemson unless VaTech and NCSU declines SEC (not likely). FSU and Clemson have a big decision to make and Tobacco Road does not like it that FSU and Clemson have some leverage right now ... how will we use it and what will be end result? Those are big questions ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for reposting ... Looking at SEC Map, it's clear why

May 23, 2012, 8:43 AM

So if population maps are all there is to it, why hasn't one of the major conferences expanded to China? Because people in China aren't interested in college football. Ditto most people who live in the northeast.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bingo***

May 23, 2012, 8:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for reposting ... Looking at SEC Map, it's clear why

May 23, 2012, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for reposting ... Looking at SEC Map, it's clear why ]

By this guy's (and most people's) logic, there should be millions of people watch BC games... there isn't

College football is not hard to understand

May 23, 2012, 4:34 AM

That map means jack squat when the tv sets in those regions don't give a rats ### about college football. The SEC dominates because overall they have the best matchups which creates the most drama. That map only means something for NFL, MLB, NBA....not college football.

Tell you what, lets put Rutgers, B.College, Miami, G.Tech, Maryland as the headliners of a conference and dominate tv ratings for college football.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Well stated. We have some real brain surgeons on this board.***

May 23, 2012, 5:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed....doesn't matter if there are tv's if they are

May 23, 2012, 8:28 AM [ in reply to College football is not hard to understand ]

not watching your show....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College football is not hard to understand

May 23, 2012, 8:28 AM [ in reply to College football is not hard to understand ]

It amazes me why some cant figure this out...staying in the acc and falling behind financially enormously to sc,ga,fla would be destroy us

May 23, 2012, 7:03 AM

Assumption-----is the problem not the solution

this article lost me at....

May 23, 2012, 8:26 AM

"Its long term income potential is enormous.".......too funny

Its all about demographics and "eyeballs"

May 23, 2012, 8:33 AM
big12.jpg(209.8 K)

Please see attached map, note location of B-12 schools ... note sparse population

Note population of Big East schools

May 23, 2012, 8:38 AM

Worked out great for them. Population only works if people watch your product.

bingo...gets it***

May 23, 2012, 8:43 AM

it's not just about population....it's about the quality of

May 23, 2012, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Its all about demographics and "eyeballs" ]

your product. Obviously TV believes more will watch the Big12 than the ACC.

not much, just some random dude posting thoughts.***

May 23, 2012, 8:39 AM

May 23, 2012, 8:40 AM

So you thank him for a post that still exists but feel the need to basically duplicate it instead of just responding to his?

null

No, I Thought My Subject Line Was Much More Attention ...

May 23, 2012, 8:47 AM

Getting. His subject line was very benign, yet the information within is VERY important. That is why I credited the source (those with above 8th grade educations are thought this). This a technique used to get people to read something, much like a sign that says "Free Beer" would be a real attention getter.

his information is very elementary....just because there are

May 23, 2012, 8:51 AM

a lot of people in Atlanta doesn't mean every restaurant will succeed....population does not equal viewers.

Re: No, I Thought My Subject Line Was Much More Attention ...

May 23, 2012, 8:52 AM [ in reply to No, I Thought My Subject Line Was Much More Attention ... ]

are you drunk?

"(those with above 8th grade educations are thought this)"

What the hell does this even mean.

"This a technique used"

Once again are you drunk

That post was painful to read. Not to mention the random capitalization of every word in the first sentence.

null

May 23, 2012, 9:18 AM

Sir, just pointing out an elementary marketing technique. Initial CAPS make the word stand out. I guess one of my points is that many of our Clemson Tiger fans have do not see the "big picture". Ask yourself this... "is it not true the B-12 almost imploded last year?" WHY? Is the B-12 the land of milk and honey? NO!!! The ACC is a MUCH better conference overall. The 4 team playoff IS NOT the solution, it was designed to "throw a bone" at the much desired playoff movement. As the original article states, the solution is AT LEAST an EIGHT team playoff, Ideally a SIXTEEN team playoff.... that is the only way to fairly determine a TRUE National Champion. (note the usage of capitalization in my response, note how the words "stick out", used for emphasis).

May 23, 2012, 10:18 AM

really man if you are going to try and talk down to others try and post coherently.

null

May 23, 2012, 9:03 AM [ in reply to No, I Thought My Subject Line Was Much More Attention ... ]

Also his "information" is not very well done.

Population =/= college football fans.

ESPN knows this. If it did we would have a much better TV deal now.

null

what this article points out to me is WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

May 23, 2012, 8:58 AM

if the ACC had a football focus instead of basketball. The opportunity was there but many times opportunities come and go. This one has now gone and there are four power conferences in football. This could have been a great conference in football but it just didn't work out for many reasons.

I have a real hard time believing that the "golden corner"

May 23, 2012, 9:35 AM

of South Carolina is in blue just like the metro area of Dallas. That's impossible.

The biggest pint that's being missed is that the addition of FSU and Clemson will make the Big12 that much stronger...

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Re: I have a real hard time believing that the "golden corner"

May 23, 2012, 9:40 AM

The population along the Charlotte, Spartanburg, Greenville corridor is very dense, per Census. Clemson, USED TO be considered rural, but is now listed as "suburban"... Yes, the Yankees (and Germans (the people)), are here!!!!!!

there is NO WAY that oconee county, pickens county,

May 23, 2012, 9:44 AM

and anderson county have as many as the Dallas area.

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Re: there is NO WAY that oconee county, pickens county,

dont confuse him with facts.

null

Re: I have a real hard time believing that the "golden corner"

May 23, 2012, 9:52 AM [ in reply to I have a real hard time believing that the "golden corner" ]

I think the shading is really poor. It looks like the super populous counties are black, while the next most populous are dark blue. But still, it makes it look like Oconee County, SC (75,000 people) is no different than Los Angeles County, CA (9.8 Million People).

And back to what others are talking about, it's about viewers for your game, not how many people live somewhere. That how Birmingham, AL has half as many college football fans as NYC:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

Moreover, Birmingham, AL, has all those fans watching one game at one time, unlike in NYC where there is no dominant team. Those games are like a super bowl level event for that area every week during the fall. That creates ad potential that is rare and drives up the price of advertising above and beyond the normal price per viewer.

Also, in the world of DVRs, sports are the only things that are DVR-proof. People typically watch sports live and are unable to skip commercials.

In targeted marketing your goal is not.....

just HOW MANY are watching but also WHO is watching. They look at MEDIAN income levels and so on ... are they potential BMW buyers or more of the Ford Truck types, and so on .... also 10% of a thousand is twice the number of 50% of 100 (100 vs 50). So therefore, even though a higher portion of the population may be watching a game in say Birmingham, AL, there may be a higher number of people watching, say in the Boston - NYC Corridor. That is what makes the ACC so valuable. Expect UConn to be joining the ACC shortly.

Re: In targeted marketing your goal is not.....

May 23, 2012, 10:24 AM

lol...

null

Please tell the bidders how valuable the ACC is,

May 23, 2012, 11:00 AM [ in reply to In targeted marketing your goal is not..... ]

undoubtedly they are the ones not understanding your reasonging.

Re: In targeted marketing your goal is not.....

May 24, 2012, 12:23 PM [ in reply to In targeted marketing your goal is not..... ]

I hear there's a pickup american football team in Tokyo-Yokohama (the most populous metro area in the world). My sources indicate that they will be joining the ACC shortly. Success!

He Doesn't Understand College Football

May 23, 2012, 9:53 AM

That's some GT homer who doesn't want to see GT left out of the realignment. He doesn't understand that the population of a state where a college program is located isn't nearly as important as fan base and TV viewers. If he was right the ACC would be getting much more TV money than the SEC. Obviously that's not the case.

Doesnt matter how many TV Sets there are

May 23, 2012, 9:56 AM

if they're all watching Dancing with the Stars or CSI during the football games.

If the article is posted a 3rd time it will be just as

May 23, 2012, 10:58 AM

irrelevant as the lst and 2nd.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic