Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Korean War Began 70 Years Ago Today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

The Korean War Began 70 Years Ago Today

Jun 25, 2020, 5:10 PM

I had served 43 months during WW2 and was in the Inactive Reserve and had no idea I would be recalled. On a Tuesday afternoon I was hand delivered a special delivery letter that ordered me to report to Fort Hood, Texas. the next Monday morning, Sept. 25, 1950. I asked for a few days extension and the answer was, "It is imperative you report as ordered". And I did. About 5 weeks later, I was in Pyongyang, North Korea, with the temperature about 15F - 20F.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geez Joe21..can’t even imagine having to endure 2 wars! Salute & Gratitude to YOU!

Jun 25, 2020, 5:31 PM

Bet the characters burning, looting, tearing statues down, marching for whatever here in States would reconsider how good we have it here now in this beautiful country IF they had to go fight, endure that weather & realize what it’s all about considering they’d be shot dead in the head in a heart beat if they tried their lawlessness sheet there!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks again Joe for your service in both wars

Jun 25, 2020, 5:40 PM

Korea is the coldest place I’ve ever been and the furthest north I went was about 11 miles from the 38th. I was always amazed though that the mud could maintain its consistency despite well below freezing temps lol.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks again Joe for your service in both wars

Jun 25, 2020, 7:19 PM

I was there during only one winter, 1950-51. The lowest temperature I experienced was minus 35F. You don't leave the brass monkey outside during that kind of weather If anyone was there during that winter and was asked what he/she remembered most about Korea, it would be the cold winters. I was told the following winters were just as bad.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks again Joe for your service in both wars

Jun 25, 2020, 8:06 PM

I am grateful to you and those that served in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan and Syria as well as other hotspots and those that supported them. I very much appreciate your stories and insight, making it relevant to todays world. You are a blessing to us all!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks to you and all other Veterans for their service to

Jun 25, 2020, 7:48 PM

our country!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Korean War Began 70 Years Ago Today

Jun 25, 2020, 9:06 PM

I was there for a year that spanned the winter of 1952 and it was really cold. We had a box outside of a warehouse where we kept a side of beef so when we didn’t like the meal provided we would saw off a few steaks and grill them for dinner. Our daughter gave me a book entitled, “ The Coldest Winter”, about the Korean War. You might enjoy it. A very well done recap of the war.

Joe, there was an Engineering Professor at NC State who developed a brass monkey whose “essentials” actually dropped off when the temperature declined to the freezing point. True story.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, thank you for your service! You are a hero sir!!!***

Jun 25, 2020, 11:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: Thanks For Your Brave Service Joe21....---

Jun 26, 2020, 12:38 AM

....however.....WRONG BOARD MORAN!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic