Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My earliest Clemson vs South Carolina memories
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,540

My earliest Clemson vs South Carolina memories

Nov 26, 2014, 11:45 PM

I was born in 1990. I have faint memories of me talking with my gamecock buddies at school for the 1998 and 1999 games. I remember them thinking they had a chance to win both years and I knew that was just nonsense. I don't recall the actual games though.

2000- I was watching downstairs by myself. My dad was at the game and my mom was cooking upstairs. I remember when SC scored on some bogus nonsense to make it 14-13 I was so pissed I threw a chair down the stairs in anger and went upstairs to eat soup. I took a few bites fuming but I could not resist. I ran downstairs, just in time to see Hunt's kick go through the uprights for the win. I missed the catch because of my anger fit. An early lesson to never give up on your team.

2001- I did not actually watch this game. I was at a birthday party and went to go see monsters Inc. in theaters. I remember hearing the end on the radio as we drove to chick fil a. I was pretty upset that we lost. I did not think it was possible for Clemson to lose to south carolina

2002- Watched this one in a hotel in San Diego with my dad and little sister and dads friend and his son. My sister was in the corner crying from boredom but we didnt care because we got the win! I remember seeing the students rush the field after the game

2003 - Was in a hotel in Washington DC. Me and my family were eating at a lobby restaurant. We sat there in awe as Whitehurst torched the middle of the field all night long. Stunned glee all night as it continued. I could not believe what happened. I regretted not being in the state that night or the next day so I could see the Gamecocks in ruins

2004 - first gamecock game I attended. (I had been attending all other home games since 1999 but my dad spit tickets with his freind and for some reason we never got the SC tickets so it was almost like taboo of me to go to the #### game). I remember the opening kickoff and the big hit and fumble with the crowd going crazy. This was after those Gamecock jackoffs taunted us at the hill, You never ever got the the sense that we were going to lose that game on that day, Of course everyone remembers the brawl. I remember watching the brawl with a mix of excitement and shock. Being only 13 it was pretty exciting stuff to see football players knock the hell out of each other.

these were the early years. I have my later memories coming later.I always find it interesting to hear other tiger fans memories of this game

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My earliest Clemson vs South Carolina memories

Nov 26, 2014, 11:47 PM

My first game in person was that 04 game too. Will never forget that brawl.

Doesn't seem like ten years ago

pretty crazy. 10 years ago holtz was the coach***

Nov 27, 2014, 12:54 AM

Nov 27, 2014, 1:04 AM

Mine was in the 80's going to see my two coot fan uncles on Christmas Day & collecting my money that they lost to me. For some strange reason they stopped betting with me.

Thank you! I was starting to feel really old, and

Nov 27, 2014, 1:24 AM

I'm only 32. Mine was in the 80's as well. It was the only game I would sit and watch as a child, as opposed to playing 45 games of tackle football wherever we could find a spot, or sliding down the old hill on a box of cardboard. I wouldn't change the work they've done to the stadium at all, but those are some of the earliest and fondest memories I have of games as a kid at DV.

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you! I was starting to feel really old, and

Nov 27, 2014, 1:53 AM

I'm 42 but be honest just can't remember games I saw before 1980. Watching the games on black & white tv not to mention the best one so for the National Championship win. Best time to slide down the hill on cardboard was when it was little bit wet. I took out a coot fan at the bottom one year.

Nov 27, 2014, 6:24 AM

The earliest memory I have of Clemson vs coots is in the early 70's. It was at Death Valley, it was rainy and cold. It was a sloppy game but we won. I also remember listening to the 1975 game in Cootville and we were embarrassed 52-20. I can say, as a child, I know we lost some game back then but being young and dumb I can't ever remember us losing! Ahhh....ignorance is bliss! Go Tigers!

The first game I attended was in 1965, in Columbia

Nov 27, 2014, 6:50 AM

during my freshman year as a Clemson cheerleader.

Those were the days before the upper deck additions at both Clemson and Carolina, which was called Carolina Stadium. Many Clemson fans were mad that Frank Howard didn't kick for the tie, resulting in a 16-17 loss; however, the Legend later said, "I don't play to tie; I play to win."

We won the next two, then lost again in my senior year. Clemson and Carolina students had a completely different concept of the rivalry in those days, which is why many older Tigers place extreme emphasis on the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so it was less intense back then?***

Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM

We didn't consider the intensity....We just armed ourselves

Nov 27, 2014, 2:36 PM

with baseball bats, sticks, clubs, whatever in case a stray Carolina student appeared on campus with evil intent.

Brass knuckles, billy clubs and sidearms were in vogue them, also. lol

The game was the end-all to all end-alls of each season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'77 @ W-B. Fuller to Butler... but then, Pitt in the Gator.***

Nov 27, 2014, 6:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ugh. that pitt game is still one of my worst memories of

Nov 27, 2014, 7:04 AM

tiger football. i have still got a gator bowl brass belt buckle souvenir from that game (still can't bring myself to throw clemson related memorabilia away, i just learned to wait until after the game to get any!) .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I "recall" some sirius partying all around Jackville. Wimmen***

Nov 27, 2014, 7:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:12 AM

I was born in 85, missed a lot of games in late 90s/early 2000s due to club soccer/swimming. Went to a lot of games when I was younger Cus dad always had season tix. I grew up in WNC, so there was little discussion amongst my buddies about Clemson USC (it was all tarholes, wuffies, dukies, and only during basketball season), and I never met a USC fan/grad until I got to college.

I was at the game for The Catch II and vividly remember that. I also vividly remember the students tearing down the goalposts in 2002 at the 100th game after we scored 14 unanswered points in the 4th. After the game on the way back to our car in Lot 1, a large group of students carried the sections of goal post down Williamson Road right past me and up 93. I think I always knew I was going to Clemson, but just the intensity of that game and the joy after the come from behind win helped cement it, and was what college was all about.

After that the next 4-5 years are kind of blurry. However my roommate and I were at the front of the hill for the 2004 brawl (we were wearing a tiger and a chicken costume, with a noose around the chickens neck so all the other students pushed us to the front so we would get on TV). The skirmishes came perilously close to the student section particularly the hill in a few spots, and happened so quickly that I don't think the field officials could have stopped the onslaught of students had they started onto the field. Thank GOD that didn't happen!

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Boy, is that the truth!! If that had happened in Cola they'd

Nov 27, 2014, 8:41 AM

still be wiping up the field. I was really proud, and amazed, that the Clemson students stayed in the stands.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2014, 9:10 AM

See attachment

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1977 Fuller to Butler, "The Catch"

Nov 27, 2014, 3:04 PM

The ND game that year in DV and that game in WB sealed the deal and made me a Tiger fan for life...Only two games I went to all year and it was a wrap from there on out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,540
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic