Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank God for Clemson men like Acquilla James "Red" Dyess
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Thank God for Clemson men like Acquilla James "Red" Dyess

Oct 31, 2019, 7:18 AM

Remember him Saturday afternoon.

Born: 11 January 1909 in Andersonville, Georgia. One of four Eagle Scouts to receive medal of honor.

He is the only American to receive both the Carnegie Medal for civilian heroism and the Medal of Honor. He won the Carnegie Medal in 1928 for saving two swimmers off the coast of Charleston, SC.

Graduate from Clemson College in 1932 with a Bachelor of Science degree in architecture. In civilian life, he was a general contractor. He also served as assistant director of a summer camp for boys.

Gave his life for our Country on Roi Namur Atoll, February 2, 1944

Citation: The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pride in presenting the Medal of Honor (Posthumously) to Lieutenant Colonel Aquilla James Dyess, United States Marine Corps Reserve, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of the First Battalion, Twenty-Fourth Marines (Reinforced), FOURTH Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces during the assault on Namur Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, 1 and 2 February 1944. Undaunted by severe fire from automatic Japanese weapons, Lieutenant Colonel Dyess launched a powerful final attack on the second day of the assault, unhesitatingly posting himself between the opposing lines to point out objectives and avenues of approach and personally leading the advancing troops. Alert, and determined to quicken the pace of the offensive against increased enemy fire, he was constantly at the head of advance units, inspiring his men to push forward until the Japanese had been driven back to a small center of resistance and victory assured. While standing on the parapet of an antitank trench directing a group of infantry in a flanking attack against the last enemy position, Lieutenant Colonel Dyess was killed by a burst of enemy machine gun fire. His daring and forceful leadership and his valiant fighting spirit in the face of terrific opposition were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquilla_J._Dyess

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank God for Clemson men like Acquilla James "Red" Dyess

Oct 31, 2019, 8:29 AM

#### BengalBilly, I was trying to enlarge the thumb buttons to give your post a TU, and pressed too hard on the ‘TD side’ while trying to do a screen pinch/pull (or whatever the correct term is for that....)

Sorry my friend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 31, 2019, 9:26 AM

No problem (I'm used to it :) )

Oct 31, 2019, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank God for Clemson men like Acquilla James "Red" Dyess ]

I'll fix it

^^^ Poster with amazing powers ^^^***

Oct 31, 2019, 9:50 AM

Oct 31, 2019, 9:50 AM

Thanks for posting the details about Ens Sullivan and Lt Col Dyess. Many Clemson alums stepped up bravely to the front in the past conflicts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

My honor to.

Oct 31, 2019, 12:46 PM

My granddaddy said 'Red' Dyess was the finest man he ever knew.

And he knew a lot of men.

Wow, I was just reading about the Kwajalein Atoll battle

Nov 1, 2019, 9:34 AM

last weekend. Every few years, I'll pick up one of the Samuel Eliot Morison books and invariably get sucked in and read the whole 15 volume set. If you're a WW2 history buff, these books are a must-have...

https://www.amazon.com/History-United-States-Naval-Operations/dp/0762854316

Or at the very least, pick up the short version, his book titled The Two Ocean War.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Thank you Lt.Col. Dyess... Bravo Zulu sir!!

Nov 1, 2019, 10:42 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you Lt.Col. Dyess... Bravo Zulu sir!!

Nov 1, 2019, 8:44 PM

My uncle, father's brother, fought with the 4th Marine Division at Roi Namur Atoll. He also fought on Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. He didn't talk much about his battles but did tell my brother about lying wounded in a foxhole on Iwo Jima and not being able to see the sky above for the Japanese bullets and artillery shells passing over. My cousin still has his 2 Purple Hearts from his wounds on Saipan and Iwo Jima.

He passed away on February 23, 1995, 50 years and 4 days after he landed on Iwo Jima with the first wave of Marines. I now regret that I didn't have the time or interest to learn about his war experiences while he was living.

He didn't attend Clemson, but he loved the Tigers. We attended the last 6 Big Thursday games together.

Nov 1, 2019, 9:26 PM

I was on Roi-Namur earlier this year as part of my job with clemson.

I got some pictures of the memorial to Lieutenant Colonel Aquilla James Dyess:

Cool! Thanks for posting.***

Nov 1, 2019, 9:56 PM

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic