Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success?

May 7, 2019, 10:10 AM

As we enjoy inarguably the best years of Clemson Football, I've been thinking a lot about the people who built the foundation for this, coaches, players, and administrators, and I've come up with who I think are the 10 most important people to Clemson's current success.

10. Dan Radakovich
You can have all the best recruiting and a great coach with vision but none of it translates to the astronomical success we've had without an AD who's in lock step with it all.

9. James Davis
It was a rare thing to sign a 4-star RB back in '05 when JD came to Clemson. He made an immediate impact and paved the way for another huge RB signee a year later. Together, "Thunder and Lightning" showed the CFB World that you could come to Clemson as a star offensive player and shine and that Clemson was on the rise.

8. Tajh Boyd
Boyd's legacy for a lot of people will boil down to his inability to beat the Gamecocks, which is unfair given that he had the misfortune to play against literally the 3 best teams they ever had. What he did do was re-write the Clemson record books, win ACC POY, win Clemson's 1st ACC Title in 20 years, and show the world the Tigers could hang with the Blueblood Powerhouses in beating LSU and Ohio St in consecutive bowl games.

7. Christian Wilkins
Wilkins's infectious personality and leadership, not to mention his Unanimous All-American play, were the catalyst for Clemson's playoff success on his 4 teams. It's been said that when the coaching staff was scouting recruits, the identified Wilkins as someone "they could win a National Title with." They were doubly-right.

6. Chad Morris
Not only did Morris inject some much needed energy and excitement to a stale offensive scheme when he came from Tulsa in 2011, but he was largely responsible for recruiting a QB out of Gainesville, GA, jumping on his bandwagon before anyone else did, and plucking him from under the noses of UGA.

EDIT: Obviously a glaring omission to leave out Brent Venables, whom I would place about here. I would still defend my D-Rad choice but in hindsight, I might bump him out and put move everyone down one spot...

5. Tommy Bowden
In 2003 CTB took a big chance on a guy who wasn't even coaching football to come coach WRs at Clemson. He was also largely responsible for the badly-needed facilities upgrades during the his tenure, including the West End Zone. The Bowden years, through which I suffered during my time at Clemson, were a rollercoaster of highs and lows and almost everyone thought Bowden had overstayed his welcome, but with some healthy perspective, we can acknowledge that we wouldn't be where we are with his contribution.

4. CJ Spiller
It's hard to overstate now the recruiting coup it was in 2006 to get Spiller to sign with "Little Ole Clemson." He was the #1 recruit in FL, top 10 overall, and right in UofF's backyard. Those guys never left the state back then and they sure as #### didn't leave to go to Clemson. CJ bought into what the WR coach who was recruiting him was selling and came to TigerTown. More importantly, he stuck around for his Senior season in 2009 when he would've surely been a first round draft pick and carried Clemson on his back to their first Division Title ever.

3. Deshaun Watson
This one is pretty obvious. #4 took the Tigers to back-to-back National Title games, something I never thought I'd see, and lead the greatest drive in Clemson FB history to bring home the Natty in his last college game. GOAT.

2. Terry Don Phillips
Despite a staff that featured guys with head coaching experience, including then-DC Vic Koenning, TDP made the head-scratching decision to promote a WR coach with no coordinating experience to the interim HC job when CTB was let go in 2008. He then made the even crazier decision to hire him full time at the end of the season. It was a move that was unanimously derided by the media at the time and met with at best cautious optimism by the fanbase. But TDP saw something in Dabo and had the wherewithal to stick to his guns. The rest is history.

1. Dabo Swinney--Duh.

Would you add anyone? Take anyone out? Anyone too high or too low?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success?

May 7, 2019, 10:17 AM

How could u EWVER leave out Brent Veneables???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good call. Pretty glaring oversight...***

May 7, 2019, 10:18 AM

May 7, 2019, 10:24 AM

The BOT & Clements deserve some credit. You don't get the type of success we've had without everyone buying into the importance of the football team to the university.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Thank you for putting JD in here

May 7, 2019, 10:26 AM

He was a huge pickup and contributed immediately; was a quiet leader and never complained even when he had to share carries with CJ. Took CTB's departure like a man (he was very close to him) and stayed to get his degree.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. I always say that James Davis is where it started

May 8, 2019, 6:52 AM

from a player perspective. Not only was he a big time recruit (I believe #6 RB in his class) at a time when we just were not attracting that kind of talent (and from Georgia!), but he actively encouraged CJ to join him KNOWING that it would mean sharing his carries. A very special Tiger to me.

null

May 7, 2019, 10:32 AM

1. Dabo
2. Terry Don
3. DW4
4. Venables
5. Spiller
6. Tajh
7. The Chad
8. Tommy B
9. Rad Dan
10. Sammy

May 7, 2019, 12:44 PM

I love your list here. With one exception. I would add a slash to the line with Chad Morris. You can't help but mention Coach Elliott and Coach Scott. We never could do anything with physical defenses when Chad Morris was here. They would just get physical w/WR's and we were done.

These gentlemen brought a meaner more methodical HUNH-tempo-rpo offense!

***I never can understand how people separate Coach Scott from Coach Elliott. Someone mentioned QB coach and Coach Scott but not Tony Elliott. How? By all accounts; everybody carries equal weight. Except on game days coach Elliott has the extra added duties of calling the plays! So, not sure how the differentiation is done by many of my fellow Tigers fans!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks - and good point

May 7, 2019, 1:16 PM

Id probably slide TE/JS there around #8 and give Sammy or Tommy an honorable mention

May 7, 2019, 10:46 AM

I see your point but then there is Batson, the nutrition folks, Danny Poole and staff, assistant coaches and player development folks. Each has a role and they all contribute. YOur list are kind of visible folks. But lots happens behind the scenes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2019, 10:58 AM

Hard to leave off Jeff and Brandon with the quarterbacks and receivers we've recruited in the past 5 years. The catches made in both championships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 7:29 AM

Along those same lines are some of the other recruiters/position coaches that are constantly behind the scenes. Todd Bates is one that seems to come up a lot to me. I'm not sure who was primarily responsible for evaluating talent before we were recruiting at this level but they were a Godsend. I hear a lot about us developing talent but I'm not sure that we weren't just better at evaluating talent.

May 7, 2019, 11:02 AM

Dan Radakovich doesn't belong near this list. While he's been the AD during this tenure, he's benefited from the success built by many others before him. And he doesn't come across as a clemson man to begin with.

I think you're really underestimating his role in

May 7, 2019, 1:00 PM

the rise of the football program. He was hired in 2012 and it's no coincidence that we kicked it into high gear since then. He's been instrumental in getting competitive salaries to assistant coaches and keeping the support staff happy to enough to stick around.

There are countless examples of schools over the years, and all over the country currently, who have the tools to succeed on the field but have athletic administrators who don't see eye-to-eye and you can't win with out.

Nov 28, 2023, 1:59 PM

1. Dabo
2. Dabo
3. Dabo
4. Dabo
5. Dabo
6. Dabo
7. Terry Don Phillips
8. Jim Clements
9. BOT
10. The best alumni and fan base in college athletics

Thad Turnipseed and Thad Turnipseed.***

May 7, 2019, 11:13 AM

^^^ this.

May 7, 2019, 7:51 PM

The secret is out.
But Bama has known it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Thad Turnipseed and Thad Turnipseed.***

May 8, 2019, 6:27 AM [ in reply to Thad Turnipseed and Thad Turnipseed.*** ]

I was scrolling down waiting to get to the end to add his name.

May 7, 2019, 11:15 AM

1. Jesus Christ.

I don't believe in him, but Jesus Christ is why we have landed a bunch of these recruits.

May 7, 2019, 11:21 AM

"I don't believe in him, but Jesus Christ is why we have landed a bunch of these recruits."
This is a very sad statement...You don't have to believe in to make Him Real. One day you
will find out how real He is and I pray that it is on this side of eternity.

May 7, 2019, 11:30 AM

I am glad you believe in him. I think he was a man who existed a long time ago, no different than any other man. That said, the belief in that man as God or whatever and Dabo's belief is why we land a bunch of these recruits. DJU mentioned it. So I am putting Jesus in the pole position and number 1 spot for our climb to greatness.

1. Jesus Christ
2. Terry Don Phillips
3. Dabo
4. CJ Spiller

May 7, 2019, 12:25 PM

Why the thumbs down? Now my feelings are hurt.

May 7, 2019, 12:27 PM

Because you are not a believer. You said nothing out of line .

May 7, 2019, 12:27 PM

I evened it out for ya tho.

May 7, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

Cbad,

I think you're most accurate on your rating system. Jesus is the primary reason that Dabo is here, and the rest falls into place. Almost all of contemporary scholarhood also agrees with you that a person named Jesus did walk the earth some 2k years ago. The debate is about, was he who he said he was, or was he an incredibly charismatic maniacal liar. I hope you would examine the evidence of his claims, perhaps you have. Its one thing to examine the evidence and find it wanting, its another not to examine the evidence. Why would he and so many others after him face persecution, estrangement, and death to perpetuate a lie, and for what gain. Doesn't make sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2019, 4:27 PM

Idk what world you live in but the one I live in people to crazy things that make zero sense all the time.

May 7, 2019, 4:30 PM

But usually those crazy things they do don't propagate a world religion that lasts 2000 years.

May 7, 2019, 7:31 PM

So Judaism has been around for 5000 years, Buddhism for 3000 years and Islam and Christianity for 2000 years so I guess Judaism is the most right? Just going by your logic

Judaism and Christianity pretty much go hand in hand

May 8, 2019, 8:27 AM

if you're looking at the historical progression..so that 5000 years you reference can be added to the 2000 years of Christianity. Christianity is not exclusive to Judaism. Jesus was a Jew who came to fulfill the law of the Jewish religion. Thats why the Old Testament remains a key component of the Bible.

Re: Judaism and Christianity pretty much go hand in hand

May 8, 2019, 8:39 AM

Well facts are always good! I just canny bring myself to believe when bad things happen that it is part of Gods plan or when amazing things happen that it is a miracle that was his work. I believe in good and evil and I grew up a Christian so I have many of the same morals I just cannot believe in God the way many do. There may be a high power but I believe I am a good person so if God is real and I am danged for not pledging myself to him I wouldn't wanna believe in a god like that anyways because some grow up with parents that believe in something else and most are going to believe what they grow up with. I think whatever religion or beliefs that make you the best person you can be is what you should believe in and I respect what all believe in as long as it makes you a decent human being.

May 8, 2019, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

Because they believe the lie? Cults do all kinds of crazy things.

May 8, 2019, 8:41 AM

Easy to believe in a savior when life was like it was back then that is for sure. To each his own tho.

i'm glad you know all the secrets to life; all hail the

May 8, 2019, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

know-it-all...

The fact that you perceive reality based on what you think tells me all I need to know. You do realize you're making the exact same argument that anyone who believes in a Jesus or a higher power is making. Only difference is that theirs is based off of thousands of years of documented and followed theology while yours is based on what YOU think.

Everyone is just so darned enlightened these days...how did we ever live without them...?

May 7, 2019, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

SMFH, DONT BELIEVE IN JESUS HUH BUT DO BELIEVE IN OBAMA. OH WAIT GUESS YOU BELIEVE IN MUHAMMED OR WHOEVER THE HE!! THEY WORSHIP.

May 7, 2019, 12:17 PM

I see the Christians are out judging today. Would have never thought that would happen ;)

May 7, 2019, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

I don't think about Obama anymore. He is just a private citizen. I do believe that Dabo's belief in Jesus is a major reason we land some amazing program changing recruits. I have Jesus at #1.

I will pray for you***

May 7, 2019, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will pray for you***

May 7, 2019, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I will pray for you***

May 7, 2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks. I know you meen well. Thumbs up.

May 7, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

Agreed! I do not believe either but it very well is what makes Dabo go and it gets young men who have good morals to come play at Clemson.

May 7, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

Look how similar you are with the believers. There have been approximately 4000 different gods worshiped in the world over time. JC believers do not believe in 3999. You only do not believe in one more.

May 7, 2019, 2:13 PM

The only difference is we don't try to tell people what or who they should believe in or that if they don't believe in a certain god they will go to h e l l.

I know it's a bit of a cop out

May 7, 2019, 11:24 AM

But I think I can only really make the list work if it's not really a list of 10 people, but a mixed list of 10 people and groups:

10 - Administrators
     Dan Radakovich & Terry Don Phillips

09 - Previous Coaches
     Bowden & Morris

08 - Grit and talent
     Humphries & Renfrow

07 - QB Talent Build
     Woody & Tajh

06 - WR Talent Train
     Nuk --> Sammy --> Williams --> Cain --> Ross

05 - RB Talent Train
     JD --> Spiller --> Ellington --> Gallman --> Etienne

04 - DL Talent Train
     Gaines --> Bowers --> Branch --> Shaq --> Power rangers

03 - Defensive Genius
     BV

02 - Transformative QB Talent
     DW --> TL

01 - Visionary Leader
     Dabo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know it's a bit of a cop out

May 7, 2019, 10:42 PM

TU

May 7, 2019, 10:42 PM [ in reply to I know it's a bit of a cop out ]

TU

May 8, 2019, 7:13 AM [ in reply to I know it's a bit of a cop out ]

A bit of a cop out and I still didn't see the name that nobody else has mentioned. I don't know that I would consider him top 10 but Ben Boulware was undeniably the leader of the defense on the first championship team and deserves a mention.

May 8, 2019, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I know it's a bit of a cop out ]

Add Woody McCorvey to the visionary line with Dabo.

Great call!***

May 8, 2019, 12:51 PM [ in reply to I know it's a bit of a cop out ]

May 7, 2019, 11:29 AM

I'm so tired of people giving so much credit to Bowden. Yes he brought in Dabo after Stockstill left, but he also made some ridiculously bad hires like Captain Bubblescreen. Everyone says that he's the one that recommended Dabo be given the interim job, but I think that story is exaggerated. I'm pretty sure that TDP said in an interview that he had been personally closely following Dabo's progression as a coach and thought that he would be a great fit as a HC. Why would TDP take the advice of the person he is essentially firing?

To each their own

May 7, 2019, 11:34 AM

I see no reason not to give the man his due. He was a good step in rebuilding the Clemson Football program and hand a big hand in building a talent foundation in coaching and recruiting as well as getting us moving on the much needed facilities upgrades.

Doesn't make him perfect, but I say give the man his credit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not going to defend his overall tenure but you can't

May 7, 2019, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

deny that he's the main person responsible for Dabo even being at Clemson to begin with. You can't give TDP credit for seeing something in Dabo and not acknowledge that Bowden must've seen the same thing.

Read up

May 7, 2019, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/10/dabo-swinney-tommy-bowden-interim-2008-clemson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's add in Mike Bellamy and Swag for their roles

May 7, 2019, 12:01 PM

as examples of great talent that did not fit the program. This was a part of Dabo building "the culture." How many coaches would have the cajones to can a 5 star and a 4 star "pro legacy" player when both could have done so much on the field for us. These were the gut check moments...do you stick to your plan, or sell out and give rotten apples 7 strikes like Spurrier an his QB or even Osborne and lawrence at nebraska back in the 90's, or the hernandez kid at miami. As backwards as it may seem, these two tests were important for Dabo to test his own will, and for the players and program as a whole to see what was acceptable, and what was not. The bar was set with these two...those that are All In can stay, those who don't buy in...there's the door.

How can you leave off

May 7, 2019, 12:12 PM

Crump®?

We didn't experience this type of success until he banned deadsolidperfect

Re: How can you leave off

May 7, 2019, 12:35 PM

I also noticed our recruiting went into overdrive when Jhop was banned? These things can't be coincidences.

I credit Dabo for keeping us out of the Big 12, even though

May 8, 2019, 12:53 PM [ in reply to How can you leave off ]

it was a "done deal".

After reading all these hot takes I just want to ...

May 7, 2019, 1:36 PM

congratulate the OP on an excellent post. You all want to quibble about the rankings but I believe he did a great job of explaining his choices. An intelligent post and some quality reading. Good job!

Go Tigers!

Thad Turnipseed has to be near the top .. he is the engine

May 7, 2019, 2:22 PM

behind the transformation in the football ops ... especially recruiting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2019, 2:22 PM

Good list. Obviously, Dabo is number 1 but, in order for Dabo to do what he does so well, he needs help. The staff is terrific from coaches to video/marketing but special notice should go to Kathleen Swinney, Woody McCorvey, and Thad Turnipseed!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see multiple mentions of TB and Jeff Scott but none of

May 7, 2019, 2:32 PM

Brad Scott. While credit is rightly deserved by the first two, I say that Brad played a significant role, too. After all, if Brad Scott is not brought to Clemson by TB, where is Jeff Scott now?

Tommy Bowden is #2, before TDP.

May 7, 2019, 5:09 PM

Bowden specifically recommended Dabo to TDP when he left. Tommy Bowden saw something in Dabo, relayed THAT to TDP, and TDP gave him a shot. Then after the season TDP stepped up and made him full time head coach. If Bowden had not specifically recommended STRONGLY that Dabo be the interim coach, TDP would have looked elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy Bowden is #2, before TDP.

May 8, 2019, 9:49 AM

This is false TDP has stated that he had Dabo in mind prior to talking to Bowden.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

This is really a GRRReat post!

May 7, 2019, 8:30 PM

Very thought provoking and many great comments and additions in the replies!

Thanks for allowing us all to look back as we move forward and not forget the roots of what’s still being built at Clemson.

Let’s give honor to those who have contributed along the way by cherishing the “culture” that’s resulted from all of our efforts including the alumni and fans that support our Tigers on and off the field to be successful “CLEMSON MEN” as they pursue their purposes in life, wherever they go from here!

CLEMSON ROCKS!!!
TIGERS ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is really a GRRReat post!

May 7, 2019, 10:43 PM

TU

Re: This is really a GRRReat post!

May 7, 2019, 10:43 PM [ in reply to This is really a GRRReat post! ]

TU

May 7, 2019, 10:30 PM

I really enjoyed reading this. Good stuff !

May 7, 2019, 10:30 PM

I really enjoyed reading this. Good stuff !

Rich Rodriguez

May 8, 2019, 12:20 AM

If he hadn't left and exposed TB's offensive incompetence then Dabo might have left before he ever got a chance here.

May 8, 2019, 6:33 AM

In case any U of SC fans are reading, can’t forget “suit guy”.

May 8, 2019, 7:39 AM

Prolly need to give our “Get Back” coach an honorable mention for increasing the popularity of Clemson too!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 7:41 AM

This kind of sustained success does not happen without 5 things:

1) A great head coach in Dabo Swinney. His vision, ability to sell his vision, ability to hire the right people to surround him, ability to grow the support staff to what it is now compared to previous coaches, ability to motivate everyone around him, is something extremely rare and special. We may never see that combination in a head coach again. Without him we don’t have all the great players that have come through since 2003, when he was hired. Before he was head coach, he was by far the best recruiter on staff.

2) An AD who buys into the vision and is wiling to spend the $ on staff and facilities.
A) TDP hired Dabo and deserves a large amount of the credit for taking that leap of faith
B) D. Rad bought into the vision of Dabo and committed to facility and staff expansion like never seen before at Clemson. I know both men, and TDP never would have spent the funds on staff and facility expansion that D. Rad has.

3) A President who buys into the vision and is wiling to spend the $ on staff and facilities. Dabo sold it. D. Rad bought in and so did Clements. Clements has been a tremendous asset to Clemson, Academically and athletically. His ability to fundraise and sell his vision is night and day different than Barker. I’m not sure Barker would have been on board for the kind of change needed to build the football program to what is is now. I think David Wilkins recognized this too.

4) The BOT have the right members in place. Without the BOT being on board, this success does not happen. Dabo sold it, and the BOT jumped on board.

5) David Wilkins. He was the chairman of the BOT during the Dabo hire, D. Rad hire, and the Clements hire. Our BOT was not really on board for total athletic success before he was the Chairman. He had the vision, influence, and ability to sell it to the BOT. David Wilkins was a huge part of all of this.

It’s been the perfect storm for us. All the stars lined up and this is the result. The #1 college football in the Nation. What a time to be alive!

It's definitely a necessity that the administrative side is

May 8, 2019, 9:17 AM

on the same page as the football side. That was obviously a big part of Danny Ford's downfall.

Jeff Davis = Call Me Mister = Paw Journey

May 8, 2019, 7:51 AM

Seems like Jeff should be on this list somewhere and he’s legacy.

Great topic - but yes i'd probably have to put Brent around

May 8, 2019, 8:05 AM

3 or 4. He is a huge reason why we have two national championships. If not the main reason we have two national championships. The day he leaves Clemson will be the day we step down a notch. He's the best Defensive Coordinator in the country and you can't really argue that. We haven't really had to worry about defense like we have prior to him getting here. He's organized, he's prepared, and he's innovative. This attracts the best players and makes the job easier for the offense. He is very valuable to this team and its success goes hand in hand with defense.

Re: Great topic - but yes i'd probably have to put Brent around

May 8, 2019, 8:40 AM

I have a friend who is an Oklahoma fan that didn't care that BV was on his way out. Now he wonders how many NC's they could have won if they had a defense.

and i'm 100% glad that there were those that felt that

May 8, 2019, 9:37 AM

way about BV at Oklahoma. I tend to think sometimes individuals get burned out places after a while. And if i remember correct Bob Stoops brought his brother Mike in to be co-coordinator with Brent. I'm sure that had alot to do with him leaving even though he has stated that it wasn't.

Either way...i'm just glad he wears Orange and Purple on gamedays. And i'm glad he's enjoying his time so far at Clemson. It might not last forever but i'm enjoying every year that he's here.

Tommy Bowden never really believed Clemson could reach

May 8, 2019, 8:39 AM

the heights its at now.

He hired Dabo because he could recruit. Period.

TB was not the visionary he's sometimes credited to be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not arguing that Bowden foresaw Dabo taking over his gig

May 8, 2019, 9:20 AM

and winning like we have at all but it's an undeniable fact that he's the guy who hired Dabo when he wasn't even working as a coach. He obviously saw something worthwhile in him and he wouldn't be at Clemson without Bowden having recognized that (and kept him on staff).

I would like to thank Steve Spurrier

May 8, 2019, 9:24 AM

For motivating Dabo to kick his ### and make The Sack quit.

May 8, 2019, 10:11 AM

David Wilkins, former chairman of the board, could be argued to be #1, and if not #2 behind dabo. None of this happens without buy in from the board on down and his tenure is when the shift in dedication happened. I’ve heard that behind the scenes he was a BIG reason all of this happened.

May 8, 2019, 12:17 PM

Never heard of David Wilkins but God Bless

and I believe

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 People Responsible for Clemson's Recent Success? ]

Never heard of David Wilkins but God Bless

and I believe

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 2:01 PM

How can you leave out Hunter Renfrow? The guy has more clutch catches than any Clemson receiver in recent memory (and that is saying a lot with the kind of receivers that we have had of late). In addition, he and Christian Wilkins are two Tigers that have been fixtures on all of Clemson's playoff teams. In fact, I think Hunter has more TD catches in National Championship games than any other receiver. He has also made plays on special teams (and when he had to play defense after a turnover) that have saved us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic