Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Texas A&M - What is it?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Texas A&M - What is it?

Sep 4, 2019, 12:23 PM

Howdy Tigers...

I realize it's game week and that draws out the anonymous internet jocks who like to stir up things. But to balance out the various "farmer" and stereotypical anti-Aggie rhetoric I am seeing...

1 - 1876 to 1965 (approx 90 years) - The Agricultural & Mechanical College of Texas - "A&M" was established under the Morrill Act (1862), and initially a military college mainly focused agricultural and engineering (or "mechanical") studies. However, students really went to A&M foremost if the military was their calling (it was a military academy, much like West Point, Citadel, Annapolis, etc.). Cadet life was REQUIRED until the mid-1960s, and it was all-male.

2 - Bringing women in (approx 10 years): Women began studies at A&M in the mid-60s only if married to a student or the daughter of a professor. This continued to around 1975, when the university became fully co-ed.

3 - Pre-1975 - Apples & Oranges - As such, this easily explains our disadvantage in sports and explains the endowment and academic standing with traditional state schools like Tennessee, Alabama, etc. It explains why our heated rival for many years hold around a 75% all-time win advantage in football (believing it should be more evenly split is like believing a Citadel or Army team should be able to compete with a traditional state university). Since 1975, our record is event split. During WWII, A&M put more officers into the war than the West Point and Annapolis... combined.

4 - Post 1975 - Texas A&M University (approx 45 years) - With the changes, Aggieland EXPLODED onto the academic and sports scene. So holding to the belief it is a "cow college" is, well, ignorant. By any stretch of any measure, Texas A&M University is a world-class institution.

A - It is the 2nd or 3rd largest university in America

B - It has the 8th largest endowment of all universities in America (including ivy leagues)

C - It offers all degrees (Business, Engineering, Agriculture, Liberal Arts, Medicine, etc.)

D - It is the only University in Texas to be a land, sea and space grant institution (working closely with NASA)

E - It's Football Program is now the most valuable in America per Forbes (by dollars)

If the above still means we are a backward cow college... Happy to say... "MOOOOOOOOOO"!!!

References -

https://www.myaggienation.com/history_traditions/corps_of_cadets/world-war-ii-aggies-make-their-mark/article_4b36a1fe-e348-11e2-8629-0019bb2963f4.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_public_university_campuses_by_enrollment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University

https://thebestschools.org/features/richest-universities-endowments-generosity-research/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/09/11/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/#2ac25cd06c64

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL;DR***

Sep 4, 2019, 12:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Texas A&M - What is it?

Sep 4, 2019, 12:29 PM

A wimmin's skewl?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 4, 2019, 5:40 PM

The Aggie Moo Cow lady doth protest too much methinks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

If you're not a cow college then why is your

Sep 4, 2019, 12:33 PM

mascot a cow named Bevo? Good luck explaining that one away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: If you're not a cow college then why is your

Sep 4, 2019, 1:28 PM

First time posting here, I'm an aggie student that's just been enjoying y'all's knowledge of football for a few weeks now. Bevo is the name of Texas University's mascot because in 1915, the ags beat t.u. 13-0. Later, a few ags broke into the Austin stockyard and branded "13-0" on the prized cow. The horns altered the 13 into a B and ran with it, branding the name "BEVO" into their mascot.

Sep 4, 2019, 1:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 4, 2019, 3:51 PM

Please understand Texas A&M's mascot is a dog, it's Texas University who has a cow as a mascot.

LOL you morans don't even know what your own mascot is?

Sep 4, 2019, 4:22 PM

Geez, and I thought coot fans were slow.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Sep 4, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: If you're not a cow college then why is your ]

Alpha... I've been lurking here since last year... Vast majority of Clemson fans are awesome, level headed on the boards. But fyi... don't bite on GWP posts... just trollin... ;)

Sep 4, 2019, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: If you're not a cow college then why is your ]

Sep 4, 2019, 5:37 PM [ in reply to If you're not a cow college then why is your ]

I thought they were called the Bobcats ?

Sep 4, 2019, 12:36 PM

Y'all certainly know how to fill your campus with tons of concrete...

Sep 4, 2019, 12:48 PM

Y'all certainly know how to fill your campus with tons of concrete...

Yes and it's rather annoying. Seems like they are putting up new buildings every chance they get.

Sep 4, 2019, 1:30 PM

Current aggie student, civil engineer major as well, so you'd assume that I love the concrete and new buildings. We don't. Unfortunately our chancellor is attempting to turn this place into a degree factory and is bent on changing as much as he possibly can on this campus.

Are your wimmen well endowed too?

Sep 4, 2019, 12:39 PM

Asking for Francis Marion®

Snowflake Basher........Out

I hear FM swings from the other side of the plate***

Sep 4, 2019, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

She's more behind, and catches.

Sep 4, 2019, 1:30 PM

HTH

We Tigernetters are prone to joking about the opponent school

Sep 4, 2019, 12:39 PM

but don’t doubt that the overwhelming majority of the Clemson fans have a ton of respect for A&M.

FYI, Clemson supplies the second-most Army officers during WW2, after A&M. Not bad considering we were a much smaller school.

null

I am not prone to joking, I am serious about my

Sep 4, 2019, 12:42 PM

disdain for Texas A&M fans until they make the decision to fire that scumbag cheating coach of theirs.

Respect? The only thing respectable about TA&M is

Sep 4, 2019, 12:43 PM [ in reply to We Tigernetters are prone to joking about the opponent school ]

their money.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: We Tigernetters are prone to joking about the opponent school

Sep 4, 2019, 4:41 PM [ in reply to We Tigernetters are prone to joking about the opponent school ]

No worries, Swarley... It's game week, and fan board banter adds an element of fun to it. Rest assured, Aggies have the utmost respect for Clemson fans after our meetings in 2004/2005 ish and last year. Good folks.

Okay..but you never answered...steers or .....***

Sep 4, 2019, 12:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

F. Lost 6 straight to Alabama .***

Sep 4, 2019, 12:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your mistake is thinking that a and m is anymore than another w in the column to us

Sep 4, 2019, 12:48 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Insecure much?***

Sep 4, 2019, 12:49 PM

Sep 4, 2019, 12:52 PM

No TAMU fan will hear a single syllable of disrespect for TAMU’s agricultural, military or engineering background. Not one. On the contrary, you are likely to hear nearly continuous and genuine respect for all of the above.

Yes, nothing but respect for

Sep 4, 2019, 1:00 PM

Sep 4, 2019, 1:18 PM

Maybe you can answer the question on all Tnetters minds. Why did your school fire Mike Leach?

Sep 4, 2019, 1:35 PM

Ummmmmmm can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic so I'll assume you are serious .... We never hired Mike Leach.

That would be our smaller cousin, Texas Tech. They're the LSU of the Big 12. Rude, disrespectful, violent. The main difference is that while LSU is left in their stinky, cursed swamps, Tech rests in the God forsaken, desolate place known as west Texas where they get to enjoy sandstorms.

didn’t know there was a difference. No take that back I didn’t care

Sep 4, 2019, 1:41 PM

There was a difference

It was sarcasm...the primary language of T-Net

Sep 4, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M - What is it? ]

Some here, though, have taken English as a second language. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M - What is it? ]

Now that you have skirted around that question. I know many on here would like to congratulate your Mascot for almost stomping that Bulldog in the ground at last years bowl game.

Sep 4, 2019, 3:52 PM

I know, right? That was a perfect representation of what we did to them in the whole bowl game!

Sep 4, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas A&M - What is it? ]

Wrong. Nobody enjoys sandstorms!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2019, 2:05 PM

Clemson has been called the same thing - nbd***

Sep 4, 2019, 2:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see why you are Team Captain

Sep 4, 2019, 3:14 PM

You know stuff.

Well done

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now I'm intrigued, Is it the 2nd or 3rd biggest?

Sep 4, 2019, 4:09 PM

asking for friend, it's important.

TIA in advance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not what I find when googling ATM***

Sep 4, 2019, 5:26 PM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic