Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Technical Assistance Needed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,598

Technical Assistance Needed

Apr 25, 2017, 9:34 PM

My internet baseball video keeps breaking up---drives me crazy. I called U-Verse and they checked out my connections which were all good. My down load/up load speeds are very fast, faster than normal. Does that mean the problem is with the ESPN 3 signal? Any one else having this problem? Any ideas will be appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Technical Assistance Needed

Apr 25, 2017, 9:45 PM

When you say "breaking up", can you clarify? Freezes? Pixeling? Loses connection entirely?

Here's an internet speed site to check your speed (since you did not specify): https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test

Are you using wifi, or wired ethernet connection? If wifi, your speed might not be what you think it is, so check that.

Is this the ONLY site you are having issues with? Can you stream movies (Netflix, Hulu, etc)?

Apr 25, 2017, 10:09 PM

It just freezes for up to a minute, both sight and sound. I don't lose connection, it will crank back up on it's own. The U-Verse tech had me to check my speeds by going to www.speedtest.net. I don't remember the numbers for up load and down load but she told me that they are excellent. My computer monitor has a wired ethernet connection. I have no problems with TV reception. One TV is hot wired and the other has a WY-FY connection. I don't stream movies. I'm an old codger with limited geeky knowledge. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2017, 10:20 PM

Hmm - that's a tough one. Random problems are the worst to diagnose.

Some possibilities are:
- There are others in the neighborhood that share some of your bandwidth, and if they suddenly stream something huge, then it can affect your network maybe briefly
- Some service runs on your PC in the background that grabs all/most of the CPU or RAM (memory) which can cause a slowdown while executing (things like virus protection or other system type services can do this)

If it happens a lot, maybe run task manager (CTRO-ALT-DELETE to run this) and watch CPU usage to see what is using most of your CPU when it happens.

I suggest that you ensure no applications are running while you're accessing ESPN3. It could just be that specific site getting hammered. That can happen if you're watching a great team like CLEMSON. :)

I had a similar problem that no tech would ever find a fix

Apr 25, 2017, 10:13 PM

for with Uverse. They all did the same tests over and over and said it was all good, that we just must be using too much data at once.
Finally when I called to drop service they sent out a supervising technician. He told me that they had used my old coaxial cable that was already installed in the house instead of the running the proper cable. He said that no matter how good of a package I bought, it would be like trying to fill a garden hose with a fire hydrant. So I FINALLY got a disgruntled tech to come out and crawl under the house and run the correct wire and put in a new connection box. After that...no problem.

So I went from 17 year old coaxial cable to fiber optic inside the house and it finally solved the issue.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Apr 25, 2017, 10:35 PM

If you are using a cable splitter, it could as simple as that. I was having interruptions. Repair guy came out and said it was probably the cheap splitter I was using. I bought another one that was much better and the disconnects stopped.

I also use a program called CCleaner that cleans up files that bog you down and cleans the registy that contains a lot of unnecessary files . I run it at least 2 times a week.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,598
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic