Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If they want to be paid, then I say pay them, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

If they want to be paid, then I say pay them, but

Mar 29, 2014, 3:40 PM

No more free rides. You pay your own way through school

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If they want to be paid, then I say pay them, but

Mar 29, 2014, 4:51 PM

Actually you make a good point. The tuition, stipend etc plus the union dues and whatever other gratuities and perks should be taxable where withholding, taxes, FICA , would be taken out including either a W2 or 1099. This is a union boss' idea not a kid, because the unions since the beating they took at VW in Tennessee they have to get dues payers someplace. Not only I don't see this working but I don't see teams organizing...the repercussions on the athletes is fascinating. When you look at organizing college athletics it is a huge segment to mine which is about the only place that the Trumka's of the world have not worn their welcome out...and one more thing the shop stewards will be the team captains?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taxes are a problem for them too

Mar 29, 2014, 7:23 PM

Not only does everything become taxable if they nothing more than "employees", but they have to file state taxes in each state they play a game. Play one game out of your 12-game season in Boston, you gotta allocate 1/12th of your income to Mass. and pay their taxes. Two games in N.C? They assume 1/6th of your income is theirs to tax.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taxes are a problem for them too

Mar 30, 2014, 11:20 AM

that would be a big help for FSU/UF - usually 8 games in Florida with no income tax.

and since Clemson is a State institution

Mar 29, 2014, 6:30 PM

they will have to participate in the State Retirement system. 7.5% withheld from the gross salary. Since they won't be "employed" 5 years, they won't be vested....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then they will spend all the money

Mar 29, 2014, 6:31 PM

and never sign up or pay for classes. Be uneligible.

Let them enter the draft whenever they like. Entering is not a gaurantee to be drafted. It would be the NFLs job to create a minor league if they want to get paid. They will quickly find out that there is nothing glamorous about the minor leagues. Very little pay, travel on buses, small attendance, no espn exposure. And it will bust before long because it has been tried several times before and just does not make money.

They have never been able to compete with college, because colleges have built in fan bases. Reality will set in and the players will come to realize they have a pretty good deal in a free ride at college

As Dabo said, the ones that want to get paid will go minor league, get paid and nothing else and those that want an education will go to college to have a back up plan with their degree.

Re: Then they will spend all the money

Mar 29, 2014, 6:43 PM

Think about right to work states vs union shops....SC is right to work, not sure about Mass (BC) or NY (Syr)

NCAA does not limit draft

Mar 29, 2014, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Then they will spend all the money ]

The draft age limits are set by the NFL and NBA and the NCAA has no connection to those age limits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic