Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Take off your orange colored glasses, and answer this question..,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Take off your orange colored glasses, and answer this question..,

Apr 30, 2019, 10:03 AM

Has Clemson Football become a bona fide blueblood program?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely not.

Apr 30, 2019, 10:04 AM

Was, is, and always will be an Orange-blood program!

^^^^ THIS ^^^^***

Apr 30, 2019, 11:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

We may be nouveau riche but it’s the riche that counts.***

Apr 30, 2019, 1:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Preach on, brother Swimmer!***

Apr 30, 2019, 2:00 PM

Honestly, I think we have to continue this run longer

Apr 30, 2019, 10:04 AM

than we have to this point. By the time Dabo is done I think all doubts will be erased.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously?***

Apr 30, 2019, 12:36 PM

Re: Take off your orange colored glasses, and answer this question..,

Apr 30, 2019, 10:06 AM

No , I think when u talk blue bloods, it goes a long way back.

How old are you? 12? 22?***

Apr 30, 2019, 2:09 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No - have to sustain success a lot longer***

Apr 30, 2019, 10:12 AM

Apr 30, 2019, 10:13 AM

No, and to me it's nothing to be proud of. Many are currently living in the past. Today's HS players couldn't name the blue bloods, but they can tell you who is good now. More telling, they couldn't care less.

I'm not sure I believe in "blue bloods"

Apr 30, 2019, 10:13 AM

So many programs claim to be in that class based on many, many years in the past, but haven't been relevant in almost...forever.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

yes

Apr 30, 2019, 10:14 AM

Well, we may be new money

Apr 30, 2019, 10:17 AM

But we're investing it well and plan to stick around in the neighborhood a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 10:19 AM

Just the term blueblood means you come from noble birth or wealth, so no. Also this....
"blue blood is no guarantee of any particular merit, competence, or expertise" ...straight from the dictionary.

If anything Clemson is part of a new generation. We are the revolution against those nobles and royals, we are the agricultural and military students who want our own legacy, we are the Clemson Tigers!

/puts orange glasses back on

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 10:20 AM

No, we have an elite coach and when he retires if we make a bad hire the program will regress in a year or two. Just go back to when Coach Ford was fired and how quickly the program regressed and how long it took to return to that level. Their are no elite programs just elite coaches, this is the mistake Tennessee made when they let Fulmer go.

Apr 30, 2019, 12:35 PM

I don't think any school is immune to going downhill a bit with the wrong coach. Just look at where Bama was for several years before they hired Saban. Look at what's happened to Tennessee in the past 10+ years, the real USC, Texas, Michigan, etc...

Apr 30, 2019, 10:20 AM

Yes. This is the early stages, but yes.

I feel like the term “blue-bloods” is only still relevant in college basketball...

Apr 30, 2019, 10:21 AM

That seems to be the only sport where recruits really care about going to a “blue-blood” program anymore.

Apr 30, 2019, 10:26 AM

Nope

Apr 30, 2019, 10:28 AM

Who cares

Totally arbitrary, but I think we have to sustain near this

Apr 30, 2019, 10:29 AM

level of success for 20 years to be considered truly "blueblood". So, ~15 more years to go.

The good news is, once this is attained it apparently lasts forever. What have Michigan, Nebraska, or USC (the real one) actually done lately? Yet, they are still considered Bluebloods. Georgia and Notre Dame also, their high rankings are more a reflection of living off past reputation than present results. (No, Dawgs, I am not giving you credit for ALMOST winning something.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Totally arbitrary, but I think we have to sustain near this

Apr 30, 2019, 12:45 PM

I disagree with this because we have been a double digit win team for how many years now? We have won BCS and Playoff games. If the only measure is championships then this is Highlanders. I.E. "there can only be one"!
We have been at least 10 wins since 2011 and have won the majority of our bowl games and finished in the top tier of the polls to boot.

But, who wants to be a "blue blood"! As another poster said, "it usually means you are a has-been who is relying on ancient history to bolster your reputation"! In today's fast paced communication; all CU has to do is keep winning. Keep churning out young people who have their heads on straight as well. The talent will continue to come because you can't beat the setting, atmosphere, etc.
Not a blue blood and not a blue blood want to be!

If Clemson is not ... then who is ??

Apr 30, 2019, 10:57 AM

UGA ?

(Snicker. Snicker.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 11:01 AM

I think it depends on what metrix you use. I have seen some instances where 1975 was used as a dividing line and if you use that standard (what have you done since 75) Clemson is one of only 10 teams to win 2 or more undisputed national championships.

“Blue Blood” programs get benefit of doubt far beyond their

Apr 30, 2019, 11:02 AM

Actual performance on the field.

Michigan and Notre Dame come to mind.

If we’re still getting credit for our two recent national titles 20-30 years from now without having done anything in the interim, then we’ll be a “Blue Blood” ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe our streak of 4 consecutive Final 4's in football

Apr 30, 2019, 11:22 AM

is longer than anyone's in basketball - besides Wooden's UCLA teams. So....definitely maybe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to say yes...

Apr 30, 2019, 11:54 AM

My definition of a "blueblood" in any sport is a team I more surprised not to see in the top 10 than I am to see there.

I dare answer in the affirmative but respond in the negative

Apr 30, 2019, 12:18 PM

and if anyone pontificates that we have attained to such lofty and manifold endeavors, it should be denied herewith expeditiously and vehemently!!

Apr 30, 2019, 12:21 PM

No, more like the color of real blood, crimson!

Blueblood means you were good in leather helmet days when

Apr 30, 2019, 12:27 PM

no one gave a crap about college football.

yes... and after the next one it will be national consensus***

Apr 30, 2019, 12:28 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought provoking post +1

Apr 30, 2019, 1:35 PM

And no, not a historical blue blood like UNC, Kentucky, Kansas in hoops. Not enough time.

But if Dabo stays and continues his recruiting, Clemson will continue blossoming into a blue blood of the “here and now” which is what counts especially in today’s digital age. And in the process, these Clemson teams are creating their own history and each year is a chapter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious answer: no, not yet, from a historical perspective

Apr 30, 2019, 1:42 PM

Are we a blue blood of right now? Absolutely.

But we're not a historical, decade in and decade out blue blood.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No and never will be

Apr 30, 2019, 1:56 PM

I don't think you can join the "blue bloods" I think the point of the blue bloods is they've been there from the beginning. Can Clemson be a consistent powerhouse threat absolutely...but the good ole boys club is full and honestly I'd rather not be a part of it. The blue blood mentality brings complacency. I like the fact that Dabo has to prove it every year. I don't wanna be the team still talking about 81. Lets keep our relevance based on the last decade at most

Apr 30, 2019, 1:57 PM

Let's put it this way....we were listed #17 in this August 2016 ESPN list under the "everyone else"...and that was before winning the last 2 National Championships we now have added since this was written. I'm sure we're getting closer. Not there yet, we need to win a few more, but it's building.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

Is Nebraska a “blue blood power”?

Apr 30, 2019, 2:08 PM

How about Southern Cal? Because both of those teams suck out loud compared to Clemson right now.

The answer to your question is YES. Clemson has THREE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS and many many more top-20 finishes. With the total national dominance of the program over the last four years we absolutely have joined the “blue blood” upper crust both currently and historically.

Apr 30, 2019, 3:06 PM

No, we are not a blue blood program yet. If we can continue on our present pace, we may become one. We need to sustain success for a longer period of time and maybe add a Heisman trophy or two to our resume. Right now, Auburn would be much closer than us to be called a blue blood. They have 3 Heismans, two national championships, have a great rivalry with one of the true blue bloods in Alabama and over history have been much more consistent and successful than us. Our short period of success on the national stage disqualifies us for now.

One way to distinguish a blue blood is by how many people pull against them. The eight teams currently considered to be blue bloods usually have the whole rest of the country pulling against them. When the majority of America starts hoping for us to lose, we will be a blue blood. It will mean people have become tired of our long running success.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, FSU wasn't either even though they had a long run

Apr 30, 2019, 3:29 PM

maybe in another 30-50 years we will be who knows

Does it really matter?***

Apr 30, 2019, 4:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not even a little bit.

Apr 30, 2019, 4:43 PM

Right now, what I call "laundry equity" isn't something we've got to worry about. What I mean by that term is teams that are getting ranked and often way over ranked simply due to their name. See Michigan and Notre Dame as prime examples.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It use to be a big deal.

Apr 30, 2019, 7:03 PM

During the BCS era a team ranked at 15 or more couldn't make the NC game. A #22 ranked Colorado could end up ranked at #6 or 8 according to the sos of the rest of the conference. Preseason polls pretty much determined SOS through the first half of the year. After the BCS voters establishing that the SEC had 10-12 teams in the top 25 and 6 or more in the top 10 the SEC teams would start playing each other and no team would drop much. SEC teams would swap places in the top ten and still have five or six teams rated high enough to make the NCG. The outcome of the regular season was already partly controlled before the season kicked off.

Now, with the 4 team playoff your conference has to have some turmoil to not get a seed. Any power five team that wins out is seeded.

So no, it doesn't matter anymore. Pride, maybe but it doesn't matter at the end. What matters is what happens on the field throughout the year. The playoff final polls have great bearing on the preseason polls of the year following. It took about three years for the playoff system to do that.

It was so slow I started to doubt a fair playoff committee. Now I'm happy as a 14 yr old with a dirty magazine and a sock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I don’t believe so.

Apr 30, 2019, 6:45 PM

I mean one BCS bowl win and 1 National Championship (before our most recent run).
I would say my generation would say no. I believe the next generation will say yes based on what we’ve accomplished the last five years and going forward.

My point would be this. I would say Miami is. Have they done anything recently? Absolutely not and I know a lot of kids today would be like get the heck out of here but growing up I saw them win four National Championships in a short span. (1987, 1989, 1991, 2001) Miami had swagger. Miami had the “it” factor. Clemson has that now! Oregon had it a few years ago(and have not been able to capitalize on it).

We are definitely getting there and I believe the next generation will look back on these days and say yes because of what we are doing now...

Apr 30, 2019, 6:49 PM

No, we're still the upstart. And I love it.

null

Apr 30, 2019, 7:12 PM

We're close, but I think we have to win at least ONE more game.

JK - You may not know it, but when CLEMSON won their first Natty, the newspapers had to have a map showing everyone where CLEMSON was located. Most of the nation had no clue who we were or even what state we were in. I remember seeing a map of SC with a star showing where our school was. We have come a long way baby.

Actually, a lot of the nation still has no clue who we are, or maybe just does not care. West of the Mississippi where football used to be strong, they have fallen into oblivion and cannot seem to put together a really good team any longer. So they don't get excited about CLEMSON or teams in the east.

Apr 30, 2019, 7:40 PM

@oOrange Lightning They don't get excited about much of anything! Even when Southern Cal was winning and competing for NC you never got that: "rabid fan base feel" from their fans!

Too many other options in SoCal!

I was only 6 but I remember my dad saying something about folks across the country not knowing where Clemson was, LOL!
It's the digital age now and I can tell you the mascot of say: Wyoming!(cow pokes). North Dakota State(Bison) or San Diego St(Aztecs). Anyone who follows college football but claims to not know about Clemson or what state Clemson is in are probably haters!
Utah State Aggies
North Texas Mean Green
Bowling Green ( ? ) but the school in Ohio.
LOL!

What, comparing us to

Apr 30, 2019, 8:05 PM

Kentucky, Duke, Oklahoma, Ohio State and the like? We're better than that.

Don't try and lump Clemson in with ANY other programs -

May 1, 2019, 9:35 AM

Clemson is UNIQUE as it should be - BEST is the standard and if you hear our Coach explain that mantra - it has zero to do with any other program.

Water the Point Tree

No doubt - yes!

May 1, 2019, 11:55 AM

Here are the top 20 college football programs (by number of wins):

1.Michigan 953
2.Ohio State 911
3.Texas 908
4.Alabama 905
5.Nebraska 897
6.Notre Dame 897
7.Oklahoma 896
8.Penn State 887
9.USC 839
10.Tennessee 838
11.Georgia 819
12.LSU 797
13.Auburn 767
14.West Virginia 752
15.Virginia Tech 744
16.Clemson 744
17.Texas A&M 741
18.Georgia Tech 735
19.Washington 734
20.Pittsburgh 724

I think being #15 (tied for just a little while longer with VT) qualifies us as Blue Blood status regardless of the recent meteoric win totals.

After we win a few more national championships and top the 47-game win streak that Oklahoma put together back in the 50's you might ask "is Clemson the best college football program of all time"?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 12:07 PM

We always have been.

Screw Calford.

May 1, 2019, 1:37 PM

We're the Blue Blood Beaters, or Blue Blood Blasters. Has any other program ever destroyed the likes of Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Oklahoma by 28, 27, 31, and 20 points in the space of just over 3 years? I didn't include Miami and Florida St. because I wouldn't count them as blue bloods.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic