Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taisun Phommachanh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Taisun Phommachanh

May 6, 2019, 7:48 AM

With yesterday's commitment of the #1 qb in the all I'm reading about is he's the next heir to Trevor Lawrence in 2 years. I'm not taking anything away from this kids incredible talent but what about Taisun Phommachanh? This kid came in with great size himself and great stats to go with it as well. I feel like the media is so quick to overlook guys. What are your thoughts?!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taisun Phommachanh

May 6, 2019, 7:53 AM

WHAT IS THERE TO THOUGHT ABOUT. PRETTY EVIDENT THE BEST PLAYER PLAYS AND IT WILL WORK OUT JUST FINE.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 8:24 AM

I just think it's crazy how these days the media is so quick to jump on band wagons.

FYI the media doesn’t matter. Our coaches don’t make decisions

May 6, 2019, 8:54 AM

based on what the media say. HTH.

May 6, 2019, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Taisun Phommachanh ]

THERE IS PLENTY TO THOUGHT ABOUT!

All our bases are belong...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

There is plenty to thought about actually...***

May 6, 2019, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Taisun Phommachanh ]

WE TOO DEEP! ***

May 6, 2019, 7:54 AM

There's also Chase Brice

May 6, 2019, 8:05 AM

If TLaw does leave after 3 years (which itself is not an absolute given), then Chase Brice will be sitting there as a fifth-year senior when DJU is a sophomore.

A fifth-year senior Chase Brice will not be easy to beat out for the starter spot. It will all have to be determined at that time.

Re: There's also Chase Brice

May 6, 2019, 8:25 AM

Really good point. Brice is as solid as they get as well.

Re: There's also Chase Brice

May 6, 2019, 9:53 AM [ in reply to There's also Chase Brice ]

Once Trevor is gone, I think we'll just assign each QB a quarter.

1st Quarter - Chase Brice
2nd Quarter - Taisun Phommachanh
3rd Quarter - DJ Uiagalelei
4th Quarter - If the game is not well in hand, whoever has had the best game so far gets the nod. If it is in hand, Ben Batson/2021 recruit.

With our talent at WR and RB, it shouldn't really matter who we throw out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 8:12 AM

The thing that’s certain here is that there will be very little drop off in our QB room from top to bottom for the foreseeable future, and all these QB’s will be receiving instruction and gaining experience under the best in the business, Brandon Streeter!
It’s a WIN - WIN for the players and for Clemson University.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 8:18 AM

I think Taisun has just as good of a shot at starting as DJ has.

May 6, 2019, 8:20 AM

I think TP will follows the Hunter Johnson direction. A seemingly great kid but just played his HS ball in a small market against lower competition than Trevor and D.J. did. This brings them to Clemson ahead and ready made to compete. No knock on the other guys, but why I think TLaw, DJ, and even Brice are a step ahead.

May 6, 2019, 8:23 AM

I think Taissun starts and may be better than DJ. Taisun is a stud...Nobody knows what will happen. Time will tell.

May 6, 2019, 8:27 AM

I agree with you. He is going to surprise a lot of people.

I think Taisun has a ton of potential

May 6, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Taisun Phommachanh ]

But DJ is in another stratosphere in terms of talent and potential. Nothing against Taisun but it’s similar to the people saying Trevor might not beat out Kelly because Kelly is a good QB

Re: I think Taisun has a ton of potential

May 6, 2019, 9:48 AM

I don't think DJ is another stratosphere as far as talent. Taisun might even have more natural talent. Time will tell.

May 6, 2019, 8:20 AM

I think Dabo is just trolling all the local sports reporters by getting great players with impossible names to spell and pronounce.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 8:43 AM

Totes

Tell 'em u5c coot

May 6, 2019, 8:22 AM

fno

Stupidest Post of The Day***

May 6, 2019, 8:30 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 8:44 AM

I guess speculation like this is all in good fun...but its still a little bit ridiculous. There are too many unknowns to do anything other than take wild guesses.

Like this: I think DJ will probably have such a good 1st year playing baseball for the Tigers that he will be a 1st round MLB draft pick and never start a game for Clemson on the football field. Taisun will be a starter for us.

Just as much basis for this kind of speculation as anything else on here.

Re: Baseball draft

May 6, 2019, 9:22 AM

It doesn't work that way. He either signs as a senior in HS in the MLB draft or he waits until his Junior year. You can't be drafted after your Freshman year of college.

May 6, 2019, 9:30 AM

He redshirts his first year. He gets beaten out his reshirt frosh year. He goes pro in baseball after that. That could easily happen.

May 6, 2019, 9:42 AM

Rebeltiger91 is correct.

There is no 1-and-done in baseball. You can go pro straight out of HS, but once you enter college MLB cannot touch you for 3 years.

That's why we lost Beer last year and will lose Davidson this year--both after junior seasons--when they both were among the most pro-ready players in the nation as Freshmen and Sophomores.

If DJ sets foot on Clemson campus as a student, we have him for 3 years (unless he transfers or takes up basketball).

May 6, 2019, 10:05 AM

Actually you are all correct.

Yes he has to stay three years for baseball or football once he steps on campus.

Where yall are missing each other is that if DJ enrolls in January and starts playing baseball like Seth Beer and Kyle Parker did, then he will be baseball eligible after his redshirt freshman season of football.

That would be 3 years of baseball and only 2 years of football. He would have to wait another year for football money but could get drafted in baseball at that time.

We could be in a Kyler Murray type situation if DJ really shines in both sports in the 21-22 school year.

He could drafted that summer in baseball and come back to play the '22 football season before making a final decision.

Talk about conjecture and predictions! We are a long way away from that problem.

May 6, 2019, 10:56 AM

That's not what CUGRAD said. He said "after one year playing baseball for the Tigers." I was simply pointing out that if he was referencing one year playing baseball for the Tigers, he would not be eligible for the draft. I feel pretty confident that he will be on campus next year.

May 6, 2019, 1:36 PM

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.

I did mean that all posts starting with yours were correct.

i don't think anybody here is sleeping on Taisun

May 6, 2019, 9:33 AM

The competition will be a positive thing. He looks impressive. one of the better all around athletes we have had at QB in a while.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2019, 9:34 AM

Not sure of the point of this post. There are a hundred variables which will determine who plays in three years and none of them are known so who speculate? Frankly it’s an insult to the QBs currently on our roster so why do it?

May 6, 2019, 9:44 AM

Im only stating that's its an insult that they are already saying DJ is the apparent heir to Trevor and that's not right at all!!

Ok, let's consider for a minute the scenario of a guy

May 6, 2019, 9:45 AM

transferring out, regardless of who it is, or position.

When has that hurt us, not just the last 5 years, but the last 25 years? The potential for transfer pain was there last year, but it didn't play out that way, obviously.

Phommachanh is a very good player and he's going to have an extra year in the system that DJ won't have. I foresee an epic QB battle that the whole team will benefit from. We already know from the Bryant saga that the coaches are going to give every player every chance to succeed. We also know the best guy is going to start but everyone else will play and play a lot.

I agree, it's ridiculous for people to automatically assume

May 6, 2019, 11:32 AM

that DJ will start. As others have mentioned, Taisun is a heck of a QB, and I'm not convinced that he is any less of a QB talent than DJ is. Both are outstanding players and will both have a chance to compete for a starting position at Clemson.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic