Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tailgating question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Tailgating question

Sep 22, 2013, 12:01 PM

I'm thinking about bringing a TV to my tailgate this week, but I do not have a generator. What do I need to run power to a 32 in LCD tv? Also has any one had any luck using a digital antenna at their tailgate?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Tailgating question

Sep 22, 2013, 12:30 PM

Not to be smart but you need a generator. Running off a battery and a converter will not last long enough. Trust me it's the best investment you can make as a tailgater. This is my 3rd year and my Honda 2000i is the greatest. Super quiet. Now they are expensive, so save up. In the meantime you could go and by a "cheap" generator for a few hundred bucks, but expect to bring your ear muffs and don't be surprised if it cuts out after a few outings...i'm just saying, you get what you pay for.

Sep 22, 2013, 2:51 PM

Thought I would chime in as we have used both (battery & generator) setups in the past few years. The TV itself does not draw much of an amperage load - My 32" LCD draws .72A and I know the 32" we tailgate with also draws < 1 amp.

In the past we used 2 deep cycle marine batteries and a power inverter to power the TV/SAT receiver, and it was sufficient to watch games for most of the day, averaging 8-10 hours run time from what I remember (4-5 hours each battery). We used an inverter that was rated at 750-800 watts, which was plenty for our purposes.

Prior to the start of last year, one of the guys bought a generator from Harbor Freight for ~$100, and while it is a lot louder than a Honda or other high dollar unit, it's very hard to argue with the price tag. Put it on the other side of the vehicle, and the noise level isn't too bad. We've averaged 4-6 hrs run time per tank of fuel.

If you're starting your power supply setup from scratch, costs can be fairly similar. Deep cycle batteries start as low as ~$60, inverters ~$40; the generator at HF is probably the cheapest you will find at $129 (No idea if you have one within reasonable distance to you, but if so find a 20% coupon in the paper or online).

No experience on the digital antenna, sorry.

HTH

Get a deep cell marine battery

Sep 22, 2013, 2:57 PM

And you will be just fine. I run a 32 inch LED tv, my Dish box, and a radio all day long (12-15 hours). Off of a 1000 watt inverter with no issues what so ever. And I generally have about half of my battery left at the end of the day... Paid $80 bucks for the battery at WalMart.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the battery has no noise , like a generator, ...

Sep 22, 2013, 7:59 PM

right ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2013, 3:18 PM

We had a generator powering our 32" LCD, Apple TV set top box, and digital antenna with no problems for the FSU game.. The only thing that sucked was we couldn't pick up ABC with the antenna and around 5ish the cellular service started crapping out so we couldn't use the Apple TV anymore.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic