Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tailgating TV/ Set Up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 51

Tailgating TV/ Set Up

Jul 8, 2014, 8:59 AM

Seriously want to set up TV for tailgating... Have TV...

What does everyone do?

Generator or inverter to car battery?

What type of receiver? Satellite or just digital local channels?

Problem shoot this for me everyone !

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More importantly, will Zima be served at this tailgate?***

Jul 8, 2014, 9:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: More importantly, will Zima be served at this tailgate?***

Jul 8, 2014, 9:29 AM

Zima and skittles?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More importantly, will Zima be served at this tailgate?******

Jul 8, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to More importantly, will Zima be served at this tailgate?*** ]

Re: Tailgating TV/ Set Up

Jul 8, 2014, 9:15 AM

Here's what we use and love it. Honda generator.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dish-tailgater-satellite-antenna/65148

Jul 8, 2014, 9:26 AM

If you don't wanna pay high prices for satellite stands you can make your own for about $20... Get a bucket. (Lowes even had Clemson buckets) and a bag of quickrete... Mix quickrete and water in the bucket then stand your satellite pole up in the mix. Use a level to make sure ur pole is straight... This takes about 5 or 6 beers to really appreciate the hard work you just did, but only 3 or 4 to really appreciate the money you saved. It helps to get a friend to help you level it... If he has on both shoes let him put the "eagle eye" on it but when he's not looking plop that level on it. Storage of this stand is a breeze bc you can put in the middle of any room as a conversation piece.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:50 AM

Or use the pole around the holidays to celebrate Festivus

Jul 8, 2014, 10:29 AM

I prefer feats of strength for any meaningful Festivus celebration

this is true! I have sveral of these "conversation" pieces

Jul 8, 2014, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Tailgating TV/ Set Up ]

and they NEVER fail to start a conversation......usually with my wife!

Somewhere - bob is blushing . . .

Jul 8, 2014, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Tailgating TV/ Set Up ]

and giggling uncontrollably.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

If you already have Directv or Dish that's probably the

Jul 8, 2014, 9:22 AM

easiest solution.

Get an additional dish and then take your box. I'd go with a generator over the battery.

Not sure how many OTA channels you can get in Clemson, but if you could they would be HD and wouldn't cost you a dime. However AntennaWeb doesn't look promising - http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=Clemson&State=SC&ZIP=29631&Housing=S&Accuracy=4&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=34.6790356&Lon=-82.8263615

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2014, 9:34 AM

We use the Dish Tailgater and Honda generator. I am a Direct TV customer at home but only get a month to month subscription to Dish. I call in before the first tailgate activate my account, pay in 30 day increments and call to cancel just after the last tailgate. Pretty easy. The Tailgater set up is simple, set the unit on top of your car, hook it up to the tv, start the gen. plug in the receiver and tv and in 10-15 minutes I'm watching satellite TV while all my neighbors are running around with there instruments trying to dial in the Direct TV signal.

Amen to that. I bought a Diectv HD dish last year.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:43 AM

It is sooooo hard to set up.

Jul 8, 2014, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Tailgating TV/ Set Up ]

Same set up as tigerlandman. Just pack a few extra chairs and beers for guest.

Deep cycle marine batteries with an inverter work great.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:41 AM

No noise, no gas required etc.

Small generator (get a quiet one!!), marine battery, DirecTV

Jul 8, 2014, 9:53 AM

point your dish out over Hartwell (SW)

reference: http://www.dixietailgate.com/2013/08/05/how-to-setup-a-tv-when-tailgating-or-outside/

pretty easy

Message was edited by: TS_Tiger®

This is the set-up that I have (pic)....

Jul 8, 2014, 10:05 AM

For about $300 the system includes the dish (The Tailgater), the receiver, the remote control, and the cables (all two of them).

An added advantage is that this system automatically acquires the satellite. There is no searching for coordinates, pointing or aiming the dish. Receiver configuration is automatic. The whole thing can be set-up and fully operational in about ten minutes.

I power it with a deep cycle marine battery and an inverter which, in my opinion, is the most convenient option. It is totally silent and there is no need to carry and store gasoline.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I need that dish!!!***

Jul 8, 2014, 10:30 AM

I bought mine four years ago....

Jul 8, 2014, 10:34 AM

I paid right at $300 for the whole set-up and it still works great although prices may have increased a little bit since I got mine.

The Dish Newtowrk subscription price (just for the twelve weeks of college foortabll season) is about $60.00 per month ($180 total). I have the system deactivated at the end of November.

For the convenience and ease of set-up, I would not hesitate to buy another one if something ever happened to the one I have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2014, 10:06 AM

If you don't have satellite tv service for your home and have cable, buy the Dish Tailgater set up and pay for service only when you want it. If you have Dish already, buy the tailgater and add the receiver to your existing service for like $7 a month.

If you have Direct TV, this is the easiest satellite to set up.

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/winegard-carryout-mp1-manual-portable-satellite-tv-antenna/49428

I have the carry out dish, Direct TV equipment and an app on the iPhone to aid in initial set up. I'm up and running in less than 5 minutes.
Don't waste your time fooling around with home made mounts and regular dishes unless you plan to really get good at setting it up.

Here's what I do:

Jul 8, 2014, 10:51 AM

Six foot long 2x8, with an iron floor flange bolted to it. I pull the car up onto the 2x8 to anchor it to the ground. Then I screw a 4 foot long iron pipe into the flange.

Attach my DirecTV HD satellite dish to the pipe with U-bolts and wingnuts. It's very secure even in windy conditions. Run the cable from the dish under the car and inside to the satellite receiver.

HD satellite dish = $40
Board/pipe/hardware = maybe $25
Cable = $5

I have two deep-cell marine batteries sitting in my SUV, attached in parallel with jumper cables. To the batteries, attach a 600 watt inverter which also powers lights for my tailgate tent.

(I keep the batteries on a float charger in my garage year-round. Batteries will last at least 4-5 years with maintenance.)

Batteries = 2 x $90
Inverter = $75
Float charger = $100

Plug in my DirecTV HD receiver to the inverter and attach the cable from the satellite dish to the receiver. Set my 39" Samsung LED TV (very low power usage, about 50 watts) on top, and connect.

Receiver = part of my service, so no add'l cost.
TV from house = no add'l cost.

Batteries make no noise, plus I can leave the receiver running to record the game (and another game) while we're in the stadium. They will run my setup for at least 14-16 hours. My receiver gets the same channels that I get at home. Don't use your car battery as you can easily run it down where it won't start your car, plus it will decrease the life of the battery if you use it this way.

It's a little costly, but this will last for years. That's what I do. YMMV!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....how was the play?"

I have 2 Dish receivers and the entire dish (with photo

Jul 8, 2014, 10:57 AM

sensor), the dish is still on a 5-6 foot galvanized pole. Will sell cheap to a Tiger fan.

antenna signals are hard to pick

Jul 8, 2014, 11:11 AM

Up in many lots and limit you to a few channels.

I use a Honda 2600 generator which is enough to run tv, receiver, portable speaker, and 1 other small device.

Honda and Yamaha are quiet. Please do not buy a 3000 watt $200 generator and a 500 foot extension cable. A lot of coots will do this and put there generator 200 feet away to smoke out some 1 else.

A couple deep cycle batteries and an inverter will do the job as well.

You can run an inverter off your car add well if you want to start your car up.

After market stand will run less than $100. I got mine for around $40.

They make apps to help find your signal. I use satellite finder which gets pretty close. Just find out which satellite you are looking for from your provider. You can also ask them for your coordinates. I have all this written on the back of my dish with a Sharpe.
Once you find your location you should easily be able to find out at the next game. I can set up in 3 mins now. If you go direct tv I can give you the info later.

You can find a friend who has satellite and just pay him for an extra box during football season. Less than $10 a month.

If you have cable most have mobile applications. You can watch on your phone and steam to your tv via a $30 media device. If you have a smart tv and can hotspot your phone, you can stream the games too without a media device.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

very important. .... most tv's

Jul 8, 2014, 11:17 AM

Are hd now and so are most satellite receivers. However if you want hd you will have to make sure you also get a hd dish when you buy your extra dish.

I have yet to find a satellite installer or service person who is not willing to provide all this stuff. In fact, I've had several tell me that I didn't need to be cryptic in figuring this all out. They say they run into all the time and provide advice and equipment whenever I need it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

FYI, unless if your TV is 120", you can run a LOT more

Jul 8, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to antenna signals are hard to pick ]

on that generator...

Typical 42" LCD consumption is 200W, significantly less if LED
Typical dish receiver is 100W
Don't know what your speaker is, but it's far less than 100W...

You have 2600W total...and are only using <400W...you could run a microwave, or a hair dryer, or nearly any electrical device you have in your home...not just "1 other small device"!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Bring a samll refrigerator and stop buying ice and coolers***

Jul 8, 2014, 3:44 PM

A fullsize fridge uses 500W, you're golden!***

Jul 8, 2014, 3:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely get a tailgater that automatically gets the

Jul 8, 2014, 11:18 AM

satellite signal, so much easier.

I use a deep cycle marine battery and 400W inverter. Check your power consumption of your devices to try a 400W, else go with an 800W.

Thanks A Ton...!!!

Jul 8, 2014, 2:50 PM

I am a Dish Subscriber( and those that plan on watching the gamecocks ... That service right now is only one that carries SEC)

Sounds like I am looking for a deep cycle marine battery

And inverter

400-800 watt

Appreciate!!!

No Zima but plenty of BudLight

Thanks A Ton...!!!

Jul 8, 2014, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Definitely get a tailgater that automatically gets the ]

I am a Dish Subscriber( and those that plan on watching the gamecocks ... That service right now is only one that carries SEC)

Sounds like I am looking for a deep cycle marine battery

And inverter

400-800 watt

Appreciate!!!

No Zima but plenty of BudLight

I would suggest buying two batteries and two inverters....

Jul 8, 2014, 3:06 PM

just in case one fails or dies sooner than you anticipate (i.e., like right in the middle of your tailgate party).

I use an Optima blue top deep cycle marine battery ($175 to $225) but there are a number of less pricy options available. I believe Sam's sells Duracell deep cycle marine batteries for less than $50.00

Replies: 30
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic