Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TV while Tailgating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TV while Tailgating

Sep 27, 2015, 9:58 PM

Hey. Can anyone give someone new to tailgating any tips on getting TV. I don't have a satellite dish or one of the tailgater satellites through dish. I was hoping to just use an antenna to pick up the local channels (CBS, ABC, FOX,etc.). I purchased a $50 antenna from Walmart but not sure it is going to work. Any old pros out there that have any recommendations on how to go about this? Any special antennas I should buy?

Thanks in advance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TV while Tailgating

Sep 27, 2015, 10:07 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the number of stations that you can get are

Sep 27, 2015, 10:08 PM

limited in Clemson. If you have a good data plan on your phone, you can get a chromecast or roku and stream HD to your TV.

You can get a DISH tailgater and receiver for about $350.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Odds aren't good you will get much if anything.

Sep 27, 2015, 10:35 PM

http://antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=&City=Clemson&State=SC&ZIP=29631&Housing=S&Accuracy=4&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=34.6790356&Lon=-82.8263615

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2015, 10:49 PM

I be straight forward! I have all the Directv stuff as we go to several races a year and use the sat boxes and Dish. At Clemson tailgate I use my wireless hot spot and stream it to the TV in the back of the SUV. Simple Quick and easy. For a better connection use a hard wire HDMI cable to the TV instead of Chromecast/Roku (better picture quality). If you have Watch ESPN it should be a breeze! Hope this helps!!!

Sep 28, 2015, 2:29 PM

We've tried that for the past few years with an Apple TV and Verizon hotspots. It works while it's not too crowded but usually the cellular networks just crap out. We ended up getting a dish this year and it's works pretty well so far.

It will work fine . . .

Sep 28, 2015, 5:03 AM

Yes, if you purchased an HD antenna, it will work fine at your tailgate. We started this way. Set up your HD TV, let it go through its seek mode, and you will be able to watch most of the HD broadcast channels (I believe we always had problems getting CBS for some reason, but NBC, ABC and FOX all came through very crisp).

That was our initial set up along with an inverter for power. Good luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It will work fine . . .

Sep 28, 2015, 7:53 AM

Thanks. I purchased an antenna from Walmart so we will see if this works to bring in the channels I need (ABC this Saturday). We are also hoping to have our phone as a hot spot as a backup plan. Not sure if my antenna is powerful/big enough.

Sep 28, 2015, 2:31 PM

You won't get ABC with an antenna in Clemson. Its impossible. We've tried with several different antennas and ABC never picked up.

Sep 28, 2015, 7:54 AM [ in reply to It will work fine . . . ]

Just curious...what type of antenna did/do you use?

I tried the HDTV antenna in brooks lot for the last game.

Sep 28, 2015, 8:12 AM [ in reply to It will work fine . . . ]

We could only get it to maybe 8 foot high so we were able to pick up a couple of CBS channels and a couple of independent stations. So for Brooks lot, I need more height so I'm carrying a 20 foot sectional pole to use with the below antenna. I tried this pole and antenna at my lake lot which has long distances to the TV station towers similar to Clemson and I pulled in all the major networks including Fox so I'm fairly confident it will work in Clemson. Note I have Direct TV dish at the game too but I can not get the local stations due to being so far out of my home area so the antenna was easiest way for me is for me to get the games on local stations. Hope this helps.

Winegard FreeVision Compact High Power DTV TV Antenna(FV-HD30): $35

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=fv-hd30

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I tried the HDTV antenna in brooks lot for the last game.

Sep 28, 2015, 8:26 AM

I will look into this. We are in Lot 10 so I'm hoping we can still pick up channels down in that lot.

Thanks.

Did you have interference (snow) from cars and generators?

Sep 28, 2015, 3:18 PM [ in reply to I tried the HDTV antenna in brooks lot for the last game. ]

That was my prior experience before I went with the Tailgater.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

No noticeable snow on the channels I could pick up but

Sep 29, 2015, 9:32 AM

then with digital channels, it's mostly you've either got the channel or you don't. They tend to freeze up when the channel is weak but not so much snow in my experience. Sounds like you may have found an analog channel. Our digital antenna was mounted on a light pole one week with tie wraps and mounted in a tree the next week so the pointing and height was not ideal for sure. The sectional 20ft pole should take care of that as well as getting it away from the generator noise and car reflections. I'll post next week after using the pole this weekend.

Sep 28, 2015, 2:25 PM

Interested, following....

Last year we did Amazon Fire Tv Stick($35) and a mobile hotspot. Worked great.***

Sep 28, 2015, 2:36 PM

Sep 28, 2015, 3:12 PM

I have some of the same questions. Some people say you can pick up ABC (WLOS) in Clemson, while others say that it is basically impossible. Can anyone confirm either way? Also, those of you that use your phones or mobile hotspots, do you have strong enough signal for this? Most of the time when I'm in Clemson for gameday, I have a lot of trouble on 4G.

Sep 29, 2015, 7:58 AM

That is what Ive been seeing as well. Either people have no issues with ABC or they can't get it period. I have set up the antenna in my apartment in Clemson and cannot pick up ABC. Not sure I will when I'm in the parking lot.

That was also my other concern about the hot spot. I'm not sure I'm going to have enough reception to do this. When there are 100,000+ people in Clemson cell phone reception sucks. Does this really work well?

Per antennaweb.org there are two ABC stations within reach.

Sep 29, 2015, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: TV while Tailgating ]

One is near pickens at roughly 18 miles so that certainly should be within range of most any digital antenna especially if aimed in the proper direction. The other ABC station is past Brevard, roughly 52 miles so that would definitely need a good directional digital antenna that's up in the air a good bit. I'm testing my digital antenna on a 20 ft sectional pole this Saturday for local channels at the game so i will report back on how it picks up.

Re: Per antennaweb.org there are two ABC stations within reach.

Sep 29, 2015, 11:01 AM

I also plan to attempt to use an antenna at the game this Saturday so I will let everyone know as well.

Oct 5, 2015, 10:00 PM

Any word on the abc reception ?

Oct 8, 2015, 11:43 AM

Ended up tailgating at home because of the rain and wind. Anyone else have any luck?

Oct 24, 2015, 9:04 AM

I had no luck this past weekend picking up ABC. I was in lot 10. Just got CBS and FOX. It was still better than nothing.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic