Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TV, cutting cable questions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TV, cutting cable questions

Jan 15, 2018, 8:46 AM

Tired of cable bill and I'm looking at Fire TV, You tube TV and others.
How can I get LOCAL networks (ABC, NBC, CBS), ALL ESPN channels, Netflix and HGTV (for wife) all on one source?

What is the best option. I really don't want to toggle through different inputs to go from one source to another unless I have to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TV, cutting cable questions

Jan 15, 2018, 8:50 AM

Netflix stands on its own, but with ROKU box, sling TV, or and smart TV is is all coming from the same box. Sling TV will give you everything you are asking for outside of local stations, I do not have the answer for a streaming service that provide those as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2018, 8:57 AM

I cut the cord over 8 years ago and have not looked back. I used to run Kodi on an Android box for EVERYTHING until DirectTV screwed that up....now I only run Sling Orange, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. I really do not need anything else and for the local channels I get them through an antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35hvV2rsHYw

Jan 15, 2018, 9:00 AM

I used to use Kodi, but I have had trouble getting the Exodus App to run lately, have you had any luck with that?

Jan 15, 2018, 9:07 AM

Exodus and others are on life support after the Dish Network lawsuit about pirating. Many of the Kodi add-ons have shut down.

I have 1 firestick amongst my collection of Rokus

Jan 15, 2018, 9:08 AM

only keeping it around for Kodi, which i rarely use as it is...is it going away?

Re: I have 1 firestick amongst my collection of Rokus

Jan 15, 2018, 9:12 AM

Kodi installs and works fine on mine, but it is the awesome add-ons that do not work any more.

Re: I have 1 firestick amongst my collection of Rokus

Jan 15, 2018, 9:16 AM [ in reply to I have 1 firestick amongst my collection of Rokus ]

Kodi does a lot of things. You can still use it for legal uses, and even for streaming local media (that may or may not have been obtained legally). The illegal direct pirate streaming seems to be going away because all of the repositories are closing down.

Kodi is still working great

Jan 15, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: TV, cutting cable questions ]

Incursion is the latest addon that works great. And

https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/comments/7n8j6l/requests_recommendations_basics_january_2018/

Get a Real-Debrid premium account with that for sure, and set up Alluc properly.

You can also use the Real-Debrid addon in Kodi, which can make things really simple.

http://kodiwpigulce.pl/how-to-install-real-debrid-addon-for-kodi-17-tutorial/

And if you want to get the main local networks and HGTV, get Hulu TV.

Jan 15, 2018, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: TV, cutting cable questions ]

I use Roku for plex, tablo, you tube, netflix and amazom prime. Tablo is a four tuner ota video recorder i have connected to a tv antenna. The tablo has fast forward. Subscribe to netflix and anazon prime for non commercial tv. Go to a sports bar for live sports and watch sports reruns on you tube. Netflix getting worse programing as their prices rise. Amazon has less variety but better programs. Roku has its own app for pretty good old movies if you don’t mind the forced commercial slice and dice format. Hulu is a pay for commercial waste of time.

Jan 15, 2018, 8:58 AM

I have sling which to get on my Non-Smart TV I go a Fire Stick to get the ESPN's and for local I went to best buy and bought a pretty good, around a $100, and got an antenna that I put in the attic, It comes in great and love the fact that I am not constantly paying for it. You can go to :

https://www.aol.com/video/guide/tv/USA-OTA29621/

and see what channels you get, I am in Anderson, so you may net to put in your zip

Local channels...

Jan 15, 2018, 8:59 AM

Your local broadcast TV networks are available over the air simply using a TV antenna. Heck, in many cases, antenna TV has a better picture than cable because the signals are digital.

If your TV is digital, then there will be a label with the letters “HD”, “ATSC”, or “HDTV” indicating the TV has a digital tuner. If your TV is not digital, you can convert it using a digital converter box.

Once you have a TV that is “digital ready”, all you need to do is install a TV antenna. These can be installed indoors or out and you'll have free access to all of your local channels.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Local channels...

Jan 15, 2018, 9:10 AM

I have a new smart tv with NO coaxial input. Is there a way to get my HD antenna connected since it’s coaxial. I see expensive conversion boxes, are there other options like a cord that just goes from coaxial to HDMI?

Re: Local channels...

Jan 15, 2018, 10:27 AM

I have a tablo that I use to get my OTA to devices like tablets. It will work with your non coax TV.

FWIW no Vizios have Coax anymore. I will never buy one of their products due to this fact.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I haven't been able to find an antenna that can

Jan 15, 2018, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Local channels... ]

satisfactorily pick up local channels. Too many trees. Next door neighbor gets everything just fine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Also, in Greenville, Direct TV Now includes WYFF

Jan 15, 2018, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Local channels... ]

and WSPA as far as local.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

YouTube TV gives you all your local channels and most ESPN.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:01 AM

I don't watch NASCAR, but you get some channels that feature that, too.

Message was edited by: Dr. Funkenstein

Re: YouTube TV gives you all your local channels and most ESPN.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:11 AM

You tube says Charleston SC is NOT in one of their service areas.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:01 AM

I have also been looking into cutting the cord. Sling has some network TV options I believe but not sure if they have all of the network channels you might want/need. Not sure there is a perfect answer for you and once you add all these channels up you are probably spending 40 bucks a month so not sure you are really saving a ton of money but I guess 60 bucks a month over 12 months isn't too bad.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:19 AM

I cut this “cord” a little over a year ago and research a lot of options before doing so. The best that worked for me and my family’s situation was:

1. Highest speed internet available 1g (wireless though realistically is at a lower speed of 400mbps since 1g can only be obtained via direct connection to the modem): $50.00/mo
2. Amazon FireStick (one time): $29.99
3. PlayStation Vue Streaming (it allows the most simultaneous streams, up to 4 or 5 compared to Sling and others, also has DVR and a lot of channels, again that got my family): $39.99/mo
4. Local: Antenna
5. Movies: Kodi > Exodus (though as others have said, its hot and miss and likely going away) | Stremio (newer more stable version of Kodi)
6. Misc. there’s other apps like Sports Devil, USTVnow, etc. There’s other YouTube channels that you pick up NCAA basketball and football games and stream (directly to a smart tv if you have one)

Hope that helps. I haven’t looked back.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:26 AM

How did you get gigabit service for only $50 per month? That would have to be the lowest cost gigabit internet in the country. It would typically be $200 per month or so.

That is my question as well.

Jan 15, 2018, 12:07 PM

I can get gigabit for $80/month from ATT here in Raleigh. Wish I could get it for $50/month. Wonder what location that is, and who’s the provider?

Jan 15, 2018, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: TV, cutting cable questions ]

Terrariumtv is the new Kodi. You’re welcome

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have been looking as well. The best options seem to be

Jan 15, 2018, 9:39 AM

Sling, DirectvNow, or Hulu. I think it's Hulu that has the network channels, but it may not be your LOCAL version of each network. The comments folks have made about antennas are spot-on. I bought a Winegard Flatwave Amped 50-mile radius antenna for just over $50 on Amazon. Works well. You do have to change the TV input back and forth, but the picture is MUCH better than directv ever was. I pulled the trigger on a Roku, and we have watched some stuff on my Wife's amazon prime video. Works great. Hulu, Sling, Directvnow, etc all offer free 7-day trials, and that's our next step. They all seem to have different package levels, with more channels for more $$$. This has all been facilitated for us with moving from dsl over to cable internet where we have enough speed to make it happen.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is link to streaming service channel lists from CNET

Jan 15, 2018, 9:40 AM

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-vs-sling-tv-vs-directv-now-vs-playstation-vue-channel-lineups-compared/

Re: I have been looking as well. The best options seem to be

Jan 15, 2018, 10:46 AM [ in reply to I have been looking as well. The best options seem to be ]

I've heard bad things about DirecTV Now. Poor streaming with stuttering and buffering.

I'm also in process of switching...

Jan 15, 2018, 9:42 AM

For me, I'm considering Sling, YouTube TV and Direct TV Now which is AT&T's streaming service. Sling and YouTube TV apps are accessible on newer smart TVs whereas for Direct TV Now you use a Roku or equivalent. There is no Direct TV app release for any smart TV...only through a streaming device.

YouTube TV has built-in in DVR service and I believe Sling does too now. DirectTV Now does not have DVR capability yet but should have that feature the 1st quarter 2018.

The main sticky points for most looking to cut cable are local station programming and DVR. Those three solutions are the only ones that seem to meet the criteria for me.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How to DVR whatever is going to my TV screen is a question

Jan 15, 2018, 9:44 AM

that I have as well. Have not found an ideal situation yet.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:48 AM

For Kodi - Exodus is all but dead. I use Coventry - which is pretty much an overhaul of Exodus. It's repository is supposedly down - but I haven't had any trouble finding anything I've wanted to watch there.

I used SlingTV through the football season b/c of all of the ESPN access. I've switched to Youtubetv since & like it a lot - Local network stuff, DVR service and stop/pause/rewind features on live streams. Sling only allows one stream - Youtube allows up to five at a time.

Jan 15, 2018, 9:52 AM

Also - get your Mama's Directv password and you can watch any and everything through either apps or Directv online.

Jan 15, 2018, 10:44 AM

YouTube tv has all locals included. Plus all sports channels you could think of. Unlimited dvr as well for $35 per month

Switched over 3 months ago and haven’t looked back

Jan 15, 2018, 11:10 AM

I cut the cord about three months ago. Love it.

I got Sling Orange + Blue plus a free Roku stick for $40/month, purchased another Roku stick for my 2nd TV and put an antenna in my garage. I will prolly go to sling Orange in the summer to cut ESPN and save $$.

I currently have DSL that works well enough for us (I think 21 mbps), but may step up to cable at 50 mbps.

I started with the antenna in the attic, but it had trouble see through the shingles. It is currently looking through a wall with no brickwork with no problems.

One downside is that sling only allows one stream of ESPN at a time. I tried Hulu for a free week but HATED the GUI. I read that they are working on it; I hope they work it out by fall.

Had same experience with digital antenna. Works well near TV

Jan 15, 2018, 1:38 PM

with signal coming through either window or brick outside wall. Could not make it work for anything on half the channels in the attic.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic