Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TV at tailgate advice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

TV at tailgate advice

Aug 19, 2018, 9:53 PM

After many years we are going to introduce tv to our tailgate.

Thinking about a dish setup with flat screen TV and maybe a couple of fans.

Questions

1) What's the best package for this. I don't currently have a subscription to Dish.

2) What's the best power source. Marine battery or two in parallel with inverter vs. generator Honda or Yamaha.

Thanks for your help.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TV at tailgate advice

Aug 19, 2018, 9:59 PM

I would recommend:
Dish Tailgater
Honda Generator(very quiet)
46” TV at Minimum!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 9:59 PM

Recommend auto locator satellite dish... price s are way down...even saw them on walmart.com free shipping and can return if bad...go with generator cause you might need it if your power is out (name brand????) Read some reviews about harbor freight but not sure, friends have Honda's and champion s and claim both are great!!! Search home Depot and Cabela's too!

One more note

Aug 19, 2018, 11:22 PM

It's no longer necessary to say "flat-screen TV". We get you aren't bringing a big old console tv from 1985, right?

"Quiet box" for gas generator

Aug 20, 2018, 12:01 AM

The Honda generators are not quiet. They are quieter. IF I were to have a generator, I would build some sort of "quiet box" to put it in that would direct the sound up. At the VT game last year, a guy across the driveway cranked his Honda generator up. It wasn't quite. I mimicked the noise by vibrating my tongue on the roof of my mouth. To my surprise, a lot of the people around me joined in. To his credit, he got the point and put "stuff" around it to deflect the noise upward. It definitely helped. Perhaps Honda should sell an optional, collapsible "quiet box" for these types of close-order situations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Re: "Quiet box" for gas generator

Aug 20, 2018, 9:51 AM

You should've just went over and talked to him instead of acting like a butt-hole.

Aug 20, 2018, 12:29 PM

..and what do you suggest I that should have said to him when I got there? Pardon me sir, but your generator is disturbing a bunch of people. I'm pretty sure that there would have been a greater chance for a "mind your own business" remark than a constructive reply. Also, it became obvious quickly that there were several other people who felt the same. The guy even moved it by his front tire, and closer to us, so that his tailgaters would not have to hear the annoyance. While you were busy calling me a ########, you failed to comment on what I thought was a good idea about some sort of quiet box. I'm thinking that you are one of those guys that runs your generator and ASSUMES that everyone around you is fine with it. I would also be curious as to how you would respond if someone confronted you about it. Even if they say that they are OK with it, they would probably be happier if it wouldn't start. I am also guessing that you did not ask before the first time that you used it.

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Aug 20, 2018, 1:18 PM

Man, I like your idea of the "quiet box". I was just saying the way you described how you and multiple others handled it sounded like a jerk move. Since you asked, if it had been me, I would've definitely rather had you come speak to me about it like a man. Instead of doing it in a ridiculing way with mouth noises. And, furthermore, as far as how I tailgate, I've used marine batteries and inverters in the past. Whisper quiet.

Aug 20, 2018, 6:57 AM

I would recommend the Dish Network "Top 120" plan. It's got all of the sports channels you'll want. I pay $80 a month and it's on a month-to-month no-contract, so it can be canceled once football season is over.

Compare prices on the satellite equipment. It may be cheaper to get it from Dish as opposed to buying the dish and Hopper receiver from a 3rd party.

I use the Honda EU2200 generator. As mentioned before, it's not quiet when compared to absolute silence. But, when compared to other generators it's one of the quietest available. And when it's operating in a tailgate environment with a lot of people talking and TVs playing it's all but undetectable. It's certainly not a distraction. However, a really solid alternative would be to use deep cycle marine batteries and an inverter. That would be much cheaper too.

Even the small Honda generator will produce much more power than you will use. You could bring a refrigerator and portable AC and still have power to spare.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 7:54 AM

How long do you tailgate? This is important. If you tailgate after dark, you will likely want to add lights, which add to your load.

Don't immediately pass on the inverter idea. It is really worth consideration.

1) Far cheaper.

2) Surprisingly long run time. > 8 hours. If you already have a boat battery, you should try a simple test with a cheap inverter. You will be surprised by how long it will last. If you need more run time, use two batteries wired in parallel.

3) "Zero" noise. Your neighbors will love you. The Honda 800 is quiet, but not anywhere near as quiet as an inverter. Generac IQ is quiet as well. An 800 is WAY more than you need for a tailgate. But if you are tempted to go bigger, remember they get louder as they get bigger.

4) No gas can required. Generators require fuel and they won't run all day on one tank. And when you shut down to refuel, the satellite will take 10 mins to reboot.

5) No need to unload. Depending on your vehicle, a battery/inverter setup could be left in the trunk or back of the truck without having to move it. You will have to find a strategic location to place your generator to minimize noise and exhaust, you your group as well as the folks around you.

As for the satellite, I use the DISH tailgater with the month to month service package. It is simple to set up, but if you tailgate under or near trees, you may need a really long coax so that you can move the dish to a better site.

I have the DIsh Tailgater

Aug 20, 2018, 8:06 AM

and a month-to-month plan that I can turn off after football season, so there is no long term contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

dish is the only satellite option

Aug 20, 2018, 8:06 AM

for HD television and automatic dish finder for under $2000.
direct tv auto dish finders are all standard definition unless you fork out some cash.

2. depending on what you want to run and how l9ng. generator provides nearly unlimited power and run time.
will cost more. I've never had any1 complain about my generator noise..just be considerate where you place it.

depending on your connection and data plan, you could just plug your phone into your tv

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 20, 2018, 8:51 AM

Thanks to all for the advice.

I'll talk to my crew and see what they think.

Leaning towards batteries. We'll see. Probably do a dry run for Furman, check out the surroundings, and break everything out for game 2.

here's my setup..

Aug 20, 2018, 9:54 AM

https://goo.gl/images/zrha8u

my tents and chairs are still drying from all TDU'er tears

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 20, 2018, 8:54 AM

The dish tailgater is only capable of using the western arc. Local channels in HD come from greenville and are only provided on Dish networks eastern arc. So if you plan on watching local channels at your tailgate in HD you will need a wineguard pathway X2 and a Dish network Wally. The wineguard pathway X2 is capable of selecting the eastern or western arc in setup.

Accurate post. The X2 is the way to go for HD locals. It will run 2 boxes

Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 AM

too. Also, those “quiet” generators aren’t really quiet...there are days I want to go on a generator smashing spree.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: TV at tailgate advice ]

Asch74 hit the nail on the head! Most people dont know this, and/or dont thing its a big deal. Trust me, when that big game is on channel 13... Its a VERY big deal!

Aug 20, 2018, 8:55 AM

We use two marine batteries in parallel. Lasts pretty much all day. Be sure to connect inverter to red/pos post from one battery and black/neg post of other to level the voltage drop across batteries.

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm?TID=6#ANC6

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My setup

Aug 20, 2018, 9:21 AM

Ryobi 2,200 Watt generator, (I've had people with Hondas say its even quieter than theirs) and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I use the DISH pay as you go plan, I prepay for the months I am going to use it and then after football season I put it up and it doesn't cost me a thing. You can pay for September, skip October, and then re-activate in November if you wanted to no problem.

The satellite I use is the Winegaurd Pathway X2, Its automatic so just set it on the roof of your car, hook everything up and it takes care of the rest. I got a package deal on AMAZON with this and my dish receiver. (cheaper than you can get them from DISH)

One other thing I will recommend, Look into a good speaker or a soundbar, the TV speakers alone will not be loud enough, and will be drowned out by everyone around you. I got a samsung soundbar and it has bluetooth capability, which is nice if you want to watch the game and play some music at the same time.

All that said, get whats best for you and the setup you want, its your tailgate. You will figure out what you like and what works best for you.

PS: If you get a generator, Always remember extra gasoline...lol

Re: My setup

Aug 20, 2018, 9:28 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Pathway-PA6002R-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B00G1XB8O2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1534771310&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=dish+tailgater+bundle

https://www.dish.com/programming/packages/pay-as-you-go/

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryobi+generator&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0xu743PvcAhWNzVMKHTqTBN4Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=943#spd=13121067023409537497

Re: My setup

Aug 20, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to My setup ]

We have converted a number of small (6kw) generators from gas to propane with 40 lb. bottles. No noise benefit but maintenance and possibly having a yoke to switch tanks is a plus. Cost was reasonable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 10:43 AM

BigOrange has the exact same setup as me, i also have the ryobi 2200 watt generator(2 of them). They can get loud when put under load (crockpots etc...) but are cost wise they are way cheaper. I also recommend the soundbar, I picked up a cheap RCA soundbar for $50 at walmart.

Generator vs battery decision...

Aug 20, 2018, 10:49 AM

If you are only going to power the tv and box, then the batteries are good. If you are going to have crock pots, heated coolers, portable A/C, etc then get a generator.

We have used a generator for over 15 years and never had a complaint over noise. We always put it under the vehicle with exhaust pointed away from food. Once people start talking, you don't notice it at all.

We have also been using Directv for 8 or 9 years. Switched to the King Tailgater dish and it has been great. It doesn't work with the newer boxes though; have to have a pre-2016 box. You can find on ebay for cheap.

People would be surprised,

Aug 20, 2018, 11:23 AM

Once a generator has been running a few minutes, you really forget all about it and get used to it. I have no problem standing right beside mine and having a conversation.

I stream through my trucks wifi, no dish required***

Aug 20, 2018, 3:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic