Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 6,465

TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds

Apr 23, 2018, 8:03 AM

WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds

Clemson senior defensive lineman Albert Huggins is working hard for the upcoming 2018 season as he will rotate in with standouts Dexter Lawrence and Christian W Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn’t really look like he struggled at all***

Apr 23, 2018, 8:07 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds

Apr 23, 2018, 8:35 AM

I remember when we had the only player in college football that could bench 500 lbs., our middle guard Rich Tuten.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Iremember Rich Tuten. Played MG. Your right

Apr 23, 2018, 2:38 PM

He could bench 500 and then some.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds ]

This poast is for all the coot talk below: can’t wait til he knocks 4 coots to the ground and then bench presses B.B. with one arm... and we’ll love every minute of it because it’ll be his last game in the valley.

Katy bar the doe, they gonna all show out and I can’t wait!!!

Go Tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 8:40 AM

Sounds like he's gonna be able to push some boys around. Go tigers!!

Can't believe hes already a senior...might be the best DL on

Apr 23, 2018, 8:56 AM

the team too. He's just overshadowed by the star power we have. Great time to be a Tiger! Huggy gets results when he's in there.

Apr 23, 2018, 9:14 AM

It would be a whole lot more impressive if the spotter would take his hands off of the bar! It matters!

LMAO. Holy smoke...***

Apr 23, 2018, 10:00 AM

Get a clue, Man

Apr 23, 2018, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds ]

He's a spotter...he isn't helping one iota in lifting that bar...he's in no position to lift much of anything without destroying his back in the process.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is impressive, but not legit with the spotter touching

Apr 23, 2018, 10:51 AM

the bar. He is still really strong, but in a judged meet it wouldn't fly. Even if the spotter isn't assisting with lifting the weight, the ability to control the bar and remain in the proper groove is a big part of lifting weight like that, and the spotter's hands on the bar can make a huge difference in stabilizing the bar. I know sometimes all my spotter needs to do is place his index fingers under the bar and I will drive right through a lift I was struggling with.

Re: It is impressive, but not legit with the spotter touching

Apr 23, 2018, 11:15 AM

Good thing it's not a judged meet, but a team lifting session, eh?

OK, so he only benched 495. Post a vid when you attempt it.***

Apr 23, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to It is impressive, but not legit with the spotter touching ]

Apr 23, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to It is impressive, but not legit with the spotter touching ]

#### you stupid, idiot!! If he drops the weight and crushes his chest then he’s done with football. It’s mandatory to have a spotter when lifting heavy weight with any sports program that actually cares about its athletes. You have no idea what you’re talking about to suggest otherwise!!

I don't lift bro, so here's a maybe dumb question

Apr 23, 2018, 12:16 PM

What good does a spotter do in that instance - he obviously wouldn't have any leverage to be able to help Huggins much if he wasn't able to lift the weight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he's obviously having trouble with it, 2 guys nearby

Apr 23, 2018, 12:34 PM

would grab either end of the bar. That video looks to me like they knew all along 'he got this'. And for the 'spotter experts', that guy was barely touching the bar and right in the middle of it. He was zero help, I assure you.

Re: If he's obviously having trouble with it, 2 guys nearby

Apr 23, 2018, 4:24 PM

"barely" doesn't count in weight lifting. He "is" or he "isn't"......and HE IS!

Roid Rage ^***

Apr 23, 2018, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: It is impressive, but not legit with the spotter touching ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Roid Rage ^***

Apr 23, 2018, 10:16 PM

YOU tell him he's not legit

Apr 23, 2018, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: It is impressive, but not legit with the spotter touching ]

....I agree on having a spotter, but don't be bragging about 500 when you didn't actually get it without HELP.

Apr 23, 2018, 5:44 PM

Go back to Williams-Brice, dude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds ]

I agree, too many on here don't understand that.

This is terrible form

Apr 23, 2018, 11:36 AM

He's not lifting with his back at all.

Re: This is terrible form

Apr 23, 2018, 12:45 PM

You are supposed to push through with your middle toe and squeeze your thighceps toward the back of your head.

Re: This is terrible form

Apr 23, 2018, 1:38 PM

...I'm still laughing!

Bench is a worthless metric...

Apr 23, 2018, 12:41 PM

~Walt

For OL and DL it isn't worthless. That upper body strength

Apr 23, 2018, 12:54 PM

is crucial in the fight for hand placement and leverage, although the lower body plays into the leverage, as well.

Apr 23, 2018, 12:51 PM

amazing this guy isn't a starter.....

Apr 23, 2018, 1:02 PM

It's obviously impressive to push 500#, but it isn't the spotter that would make this an illegal attempt in powerlifting competitions, it's the incredible bounce he's getting from his sternum.

Besides giving elastic advantage, it's incredible dangerous. Powerlifting comps require you to pause at the chest then go up when the judge gives the signal. Little different.

Still impressive, but it's really not different than someone saying they squat 700# and don't get their hip crease below parallel.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:17 PM

Below parallel? Be a man and sit down with the bar, cross your legs, and then do jaw lifts. Going just below parallel is for ######...

Even our backups will get drafted next year.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds ]

It is amazing.

Apr 23, 2018, 1:06 PM

As someone who majored in exercise science and is a C.S.C.S., let me try to settle everyone down because the arguments about this are really stupid. Bench is a lesser measure of force production relative to football than other metrics, yet it isnt worthless. Upper body strength is less important than lower body and core strength but it's still relevant. Form wise sure. It was great from by any means, but at certain times its completely normal to forgo form a little to work on maximal effort and generate maximum force production. This isnt static stuff. The bottom line is benching 500 pounds with even 75% correct form is a hell of a lot for any football player at any level. Is it Olympic worthy form wise? No. Is Albert Huggins a beast? Yes. Dont get lost in the weeds arguing about what level of beastmode our guys are, because they ARE beasts.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2018, 1:36 PM

For your perspective. You have to realize, though, that for some of the small-minded, nit-pickers who poasted, they need the reeds you referenced from which to hide in. ;)

I'm not even going to dream of lifting even 300 pounds...must protect my middle toe, as was mentioned above, otherwise, I may pull my sternplex, too...and we all know that hurts...a LOT!

WOW: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds

Apr 23, 2018, 2:36 PM

Very strong man

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 3:20 PM

Some of you try good at least. There's nothing worse than someone on the interweb telling everyone his credentials for breaking a video down. I don't care what you say I don't believe a word you type and 99.99% of the other posters don't as well. Pretty sure the guy spotting who actually has been trained in this particular area knows what he is doing as well as the whole crew of strength and conditioning members who actually have degrees in the area. When you are maxing out there isn't a spotter in the WORLD who isn't going to have his hands touching the bar. I don't give a dang what you say.

Apr 23, 2018, 3:22 PM

Also until you post the video of you doing it sthu. You're embarrassing yourself and just letting the rest of us know what type of internet hero you really are.

Apr 23, 2018, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: WATCH: Clemson DT benches impressive 500 pounds ]

Are you talking to me? I started that because I'm trying to explain why a breakdown in form isnt a big deal sometimes. I'm taking up for Albert Huggins. Not criticizing him. And I'd be happy to email you my credentials if you're talking to me.

I think his post was to 'tigerpride98' about the

Apr 23, 2018, 9:54 PM

spotter help. Like you said... trivial point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is impressive to handle

Apr 24, 2018, 9:10 PM

that kind of weight even though it would not pass at a legitimate contest. That is basically what I call a "football bench"; a slight bounce at the bottom, a little daylight under the butt and fingers on the bar. What I am most impressed with is no hi-tech bench shirt (some take 2-3 people to put on a lifter).
No doubt he is a very strong young man. FYI I powerlifted for over 15 years and briefly held the SC Drug Free 275 lb class Bench Record at 500 lbs (1991).

Replies: 38
| visibility 6,465
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic