Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

TNET: Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle

Jul 17, 2018, 11:12 AM

Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle

Tony Elliott told the reporters at Tuesday's Dabo Swinney media day that the Clemson quarterback battle remains unchanged with senior Kelly Bryant as the starte Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle

Jul 17, 2018, 11:29 AM

It will be fascinating to see if Kelly Bryant has successfully improved on the longer throws. I know he's been working at it all summer.

The big thing with Bryant is going to be his ability to stretch a team vertically and back their safeties out of the box. If he can do that...well, I love Lawrence and all, but Bryant will keep his job.

If he hasn't improved substantially - which again, I will grant is a possibility, considering how raw Bryant was when he came in and how much he's improved every year - then Lawrence will most likely win the job.

I suspect it's actually that simple.

Occam and his Razor

Jul 17, 2018, 11:33 AM

Agree with you. ;) Simple. Is.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle ]

It's as simple as these things:
1) KB has to have improved his passing consistency when under pressure... If he keeps throwing 10 ft over guys heads when under duress, the job is in jeopardy.
2) How much of the playbook has Lawrence understood and started to master in the off season? Can he manage in practices without turnovers/freshman mistakes? Can he know when to take risks and when not to? Did he gain any weight they wanted him to in off season?
3) How they each look vs Furman as a whole.

I suspect that Bryant won't improve much this off season

Jul 17, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle ]

You could technically say he regressed as the year went on last season. He had that beautiful pass vs Kent State (although it was kent state lol), decent game against Louisville and VT. Didn't do much the rest of the season. blah blah blah he completed 14 consecutive passes vs Miami...that's an irrelevant stat. DW4 didn't do that because he didn't throw sideline to sideline. I'm surprised Bryant didn't look better during the spring game. You would think he would have improved his downfield passing game but he played exactly like he did during the 2017 season. We will see Trevor Lawrence start from Day 1...or very very soon thereafter. I honestly hope Bryant improves drastically though because that will make for one hell of a QB battle. Minus seniority it isn't close IMO.

Re: I suspect that Bryant won't improve much this off season

Jul 17, 2018, 12:07 PM

Why do you say he had a good game against VT? Running maybe (had his 3rd highest rushing yards, though no rushing TD's), but passing, it was his 4th lowest yards of the regular season (not counting in Syracuse), and it was his lowest completion percentage of the entire regular season @ 57.1%. The team had a good game, but I'm not so sure I can say HE did.

It did seem like he took less shots down the field as the

Jul 17, 2018, 12:11 PM [ in reply to I suspect that Bryant won't improve much this off season ]

year went on.

Jul 17, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tony Elliott breaks down the Clemson QB battle ]

Spot on!

KB will start because dabo started Willie simmons

Jul 17, 2018, 12:11 PM

Over Charlie whitehurst.

Even though KB can't even hold a ball... I mean come on...I racked up 350 yrds a game with Jeff George in my tecmo days...I know everything.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: KB will start because dabo started Willie simmons

Jul 17, 2018, 12:47 PM

Lol...love the te mood reference! However, it was Bowden who started Simmons over Whitehurst.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong, it was Dabo***

Jul 17, 2018, 12:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

No it was Bowden

Jul 17, 2018, 1:00 PM

Simmons played from 2000-2002. So unless Dabo was calling the shots while selling real estate in Alabama it was Bowden.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No it was Bowden

Jul 17, 2018, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: No it was Bowden

Jul 17, 2018, 1:59 PM

Yes you are wrong

You're wrong

Jul 17, 2018, 2:07 PM

and so is your face

Re: You're wrong

Jul 17, 2018, 10:08 PM

So Dabo started simmons in front of whitehurst ??? My face in very NICE

Nm

Jul 17, 2018, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Wrong, it was Dabo*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB will start because dabo started Willie simmons

Jul 17, 2018, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: KB will start because dabo started Willie simmons ]

*tecmo reference...fat fingers and cell phones do not mix :)

No news here. Move along.***

Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 PM

SIMPLE** Think so too !!!!

Jul 17, 2018, 12:36 PM

It is simple -- has been all along -- ""you CAN NOT teach or practice natural ability"" -- the "special ones"" are born with a GOD given talent. Coaches will play the best player for sure, -- they have so far ________________ gona' pull for the Tigers,no matter whose behind center !!!!

Re: No news here. Move along.***

Jul 17, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to No news here. Move along.*** ]

I was going to post this same topic, but you beat me too it. Unless you read about a KB injury, don't expect to hear anything about a new starter until at least a few games into the season.

Simple: Its KB's job to lose. If he comes out all year and

Jul 17, 2018, 12:49 PM

wins games he'll stay in. If he shows that he can't handle the pressure and performs shaky like the spring game then that leash gets shorter and it will be a matter of time. Competition is a good thing. It will make him better and TLaw better.

KB starts Furman and Texas AM. If Texas AM goes well he has staying power until something that forces him out. If he has a bad showing in college station then who knows after that.

If he goes to College Station and throws 2 ints, 1 rushing TD and goes for 125 yards passing but we win b/c of defense then we will be back to this debate. If we somehow lose he's obviously out. But if he wins by 17 points and has a KB-like game then he aint' going anywhere and TLAW will just have to wait his turn.

Re: Simple: Its KB's job to lose. If he comes out all year and

Jul 17, 2018, 2:28 PM

Explain a "KB-like game" because from my understanding this isn't a good thing. I want whoever is under center to excel and for our team to succeed but winning games that should be won is one thing that is obviously great, but scraping by games that we should've walked away with is another. I imagine it hurts our teams confidence as well as well as wear and tear on our starters being forced to play 100% all game just to scrape by. I always go back to the NC State game in my head and that game (minus the missed td by Deon Cain) KB almost lost us that game solely by missing throws quite literally for 4 straight quarters, big throws on 3rd down and everyone rallied around KB and won it without him practically. Feaster with an 89 yard run, Ray Ray with a circus punt return for a TD. Without this we're not even in the game, not to mention with that we still came down to a final drive where we lucked out with K'Von getting a pick to seal it. Wake Forest stayed in the game with us until the very end because we couldn't find the end zone. VT he barely hit 1/2 of his throws and without a blown coverage wheel route and an amazing and lucky pick 6 we're sitting 17-17 with them. Again, if KB is our starter I don't mind that nor will argue it but what are you considering "KB-like" as a good thing?

Dabo does not need to repeat....

Jul 17, 2018, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Simple: Its KB's job to lose. If he comes out all year and ]

his coaching miscalculation from last season. KB needs to do more than just "win games." He needs to consistently show the skill set (a strong arm and accurate downfield passing) that would enable us to win games 13, 14, and 15. If not, it will be wash, rinse, and repeat- the same as last year. If he starts, Dabo needs to let him show it, for better or worse, early and often this season so the decision can be made by game 3 or 4 and the next man up will have time to develop if KB cannot answer the bell.

I think TL will meet the criteria sooner

Jul 17, 2018, 12:51 PM

rather than later.

Re: I think TL will meet the criteria sooner

Jul 17, 2018, 1:08 PM

they'll wait until were losing a game to throw TL in. Its KB all the way, apparently if your a freshman its impossible to out perform someone with experience, bank on it. The rest of the chatter is to make think recruits its possible

Here’s how it will go...

Jul 17, 2018, 1:19 PM

KB starts against Furman/TL plays series in first quarter and then with game decided TL and CB gets reps in 2nd half.

KB starts against TAM still TL gets early series on the road. TL gets less time in 2nd half.

Ditto GaSouthern - both players need to get live reps in case of injury.

KB will continue to start unless he is injured or has a full meltdown. Then the job will be TL on a learning curve. Could be like UGA with Fromm or could be a ‘what could have been’ season with all the firepoback on defense. TL will NOT come out of fall practice as the starter sans injury to KB. My opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB's Achilles Heel Will Be.....

Jul 17, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I think TL will meet the criteria sooner ]

Reading the option. If you recall he got his bum chewed a few times by Dabo for running with the ball instead of reading the defense and then deciding what to do . He had open receivers plenty of times when he chose to run with the ball from the get go .

KB has to hit the longer passes .

Noooo

Jul 17, 2018, 1:19 PM

Not another year running the wildcat.

can I have my 3 minutes back?***

Jul 17, 2018, 1:21 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No surprise there... He led us to the CFB playoff...

Jul 17, 2018, 2:26 PM

The interesting question is how long can he hold off Trevor Lawrence? The fact that there's a dynamic QB like Lawrence behind you can either force you to elevate your game or break you.

One thing I do know, it's a great time to be a Tiger!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No surprise there... He led us to the CFB playoff...

Jul 17, 2018, 2:29 PM

Did he lead us? Or did he get there with us. I think the defense was much more of what led us, our offense was stagnant.

Great, another "interview" about our QB competition.

Jul 17, 2018, 3:03 PM

An interview which tells us nothing. No news here, folks. Move along.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

it Is NOT all about

Jul 17, 2018, 4:18 PM

The quarterback. If the Tigers get beat at the line of scrimmage as they did in the Sugar Bowl it really won’t matter who is calling signals. There a lot of work to do at Clemson and it involves more than the offensive coordinators!

Which ever qb operates best behind the offensive line will be the guy regardless of his name,number,hometown,class,or any other intangible.

Jul 17, 2018, 5:56 PM

Coach speak as usual. If he cannot improve from his performance in the spring game it is the freshman’s job or should be. Has to hit the out and up, post route and tight end to give our running game a chance.

Jul 17, 2018, 7:24 PM

KB is NOT playing QB at the next level. PERIOD. He is an "ok" college QB with above average running skills. FULL STOP. I hope Dabo rotates TLaw in early and often. AND..I really wish the coaches would have told KB to start putting on the pounds and to start learning the TE spot right after signing day. We'd probably still have Hunter here.

Put on pounds...that kid is skinny and staying

Jul 18, 2018, 2:53 PM

Skinny. Still I think the staff knows that the defense will take a huge step back and the time to win it all is 2018. Trevor will start as back up and get the experience and if we need a game changer....

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic