Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot"

Aug 16, 2018, 10:03 AM

Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot"

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney appeared on the Rich Eisen Show on Tuesday and talked about various subjects including the competition at quarterback. "We got some g Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This thread is going to be good

Aug 16, 2018, 10:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This thread is going to be good

Aug 16, 2018, 10:51 AM

I have only seen but one championship team that play 2 QB's and won it all. That was the Gators under Meyer, and he played Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. It has been tried many times with only one success story that I know about. So, a two QB system can't be a good idea IMO, and I hope that Dabo will take that idea out of his head!!! The odds have always been that if you are playing two QB's, you really don't have one good one, or you can't say no to one of them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 11:32 AM

Maybe he just wants one of them to separate himself and eventually we go to 1 QB.

Aug 16, 2018, 11:51 AM

That's how I'm seeing it.

Aug 16, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: This thread is going to be good ]

The way I see it, there will be games where the second string QB will play half the game. If KB starts against Furman, by half time they will be up by 30 points, TL will play a QTR and Chase will play a QTR. Not what everyone on TN wants to hear but... That's how I see it playing out.

Though on second thoughts, he did work DW4 into the UGA game and he went right out and scored on that drive. So i could be wrong as i attempt to read the Dabo Tea leaves....

Aug 16, 2018, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: This thread is going to be good ]

Alabama won the championship with 2 QBs last year. Ohio state done it a few years before.

Aug 19, 2018, 7:57 AM

Jalen Hurts was THE QB until halftime of the Championship game.

2014 Ohio State played 3 QBs because 2 got hurt. They had a contoversy when all 3 were back in 2015. Braxton Miller moved to WR when it became clear he was in 3rd place.

Aug 19, 2018, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: This thread is going to be good ]

While I agree on the 2 QB system not having a great track record, I'm not sure that Dabo has much choice and has to play BOTH a lot. You have one QB that took us to the playoffs last year, so nobody can complain about that QB. The other QB is arguably the best QB recruit this year, and he would start on almost every team in America save Bama or possibly UGA. Failing to play TL a lot is a recipe for disaster IMO. Like I said - Dabo has no choice considering the talent he has at QB.

Time will tell - but I've said all along that Dabo will play 2 QB's all year.

Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot"

Aug 16, 2018, 10:36 AM

I am not normally a big fan of rotating QBs but in this case I could see it working well especially if we don’t become predictable based on who is on the field. Would really keep the opposing defense guessing. Can’t imagine having to put a game plan together to prepare for both!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!! 16 DAYS!!!!!!

Aug 16, 2018, 10:40 AM

Hey,It worked out well for Chris Leak and Tim Tebow... I guess we will see if it works out well for Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence.

Aug 16, 2018, 10:54 AM

Once out of many many teams trying it don't relate to the smartest thing to do IMO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Usually teams play 2 QBs because both of them suck

Aug 16, 2018, 11:03 AM

At any rate, i don't think you will see us doing it heavily as the season progresses. Eventually somebody is going to separate and win the job. If that ends up being TL we may see KB come in some to offer a running threat, but i seriously doubt we will be splitting QB snaps anywhere close to 50/50 later in the season.

Re: Usually teams play 2 QBs because both of them suck

Aug 16, 2018, 12:37 PM

Never said it would work for us, just saying that it has worked once. That being the only time I can remember and that based on Dabo's comments that we would (in some form or fashion) see it this coming year. Honestly, IMO (which means a hill of beans) it would take two very talented QBs with a good relationship with each other and their team to work at all.

Re: Usually teams play 2 QBs because both of them suck

Aug 19, 2018, 7:52 AM

Leak and Tebow had different skill sets. Even though Tebow got a lot of playing time, Leak was still the primary QB.

KB is close to his ceiling. TL is just getting started. Barring injury, TL will be the starter by the end of the season. KB will come in for short yardage situations, red zone (where the deep ball doesn’t matter), and running out the clock.

TL is too good a passer not to play and KB too good an athlete to hold a clipboard. Good problem to have.

Aug 16, 2018, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot" ]

So in say the past 20 years one out of ??? Teams trying a multi QB system won it all vs 19 out of all the rest of the teams that tried the traditional route. Maybe the odds are actually better for multiple QBs...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot" ]

Excatly how I see it also...might have opposing defenses preparing for 3!!! Lookin forward to seeing how it plays out. Go Tigers

Aug 16, 2018, 10:58 AM

That's why they pay DABO the big Bucks!!! I guess a bunch of the (TNETTERS) will be waiting by the mailbox for their Arm Chair Coaches check.

Aug 16, 2018, 11:23 AM

Ha Ha, are you saying that giving out opinions on T-Netters don't get a opinionated check, or, are you standing by the mailbox;)

Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs:

Aug 16, 2018, 11:25 AM

Check your tmail 52??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs:

Aug 16, 2018, 11:31 AM

I did and thanks!!!:)

Aug 16, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot" ]

You nailed it. Prepare for the TN hate mail.

Aug 16, 2018, 11:21 AM

I'd like to see Dabo send out Chase Brice in the first series vs Furman just to mess with the entire sports world.

Aug 16, 2018, 11:32 AM

That would do it!!!

Aug 16, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot" ]

But only if he wins a quick game of rock, paper, scissors on the sideline right before he runs out. THAT would get some play on ESPN!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2018, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot" ]

Heck fire ...send out Batson. Really keep em guessing!,

Aug 19, 2018, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney on the QBs: "Play more than one guy probably a lot" ]

LOL - almost lost my mouth full of coffee on that one. Good one.

"...because it's the first time..."

Aug 16, 2018, 11:40 AM

"...we have three guys that we can win with."

Since the last season when you said we have 4 guys we can win with. :)

RU

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: "...because it's the first time..."

Aug 16, 2018, 11:48 AM

Coach speak, and coach speak will forever be a part of college FB!!!

Re:

Aug 16, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to "...because it's the first time..." ]

The part that honestly becomes interesting in that coach speak, is he just said in a round about way that Kelly Bryant at one point wasn't a winner... If you think about it. " First time I could say we have 3 guys we can win with"... Watson...Scheussler...uh oh.

Re: "...because it's the first time..."

Aug 16, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to "...because it's the first time..." ]

He said that in February last year. It was true then. If they had chosen a starter of the 4 guys in Feb, they could have gotten any of the 4 ready by opening day.

Since they chose KB (who had actual game experience, maturity and demonstrated some leadership), they never got more than 1 ready.

This is August. Chase has been here a year and knows the offense. Trevor has been here all spring and came in from a similar offense. All are far more ready than Zerrick or Hunter or even Tucker could have been, even if Dabo and Streeter had jumped them past Kelly for some reason.

FIRE Dabo!??***

Aug 16, 2018, 12:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic