Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 128
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot

Nov 21, 2017, 12:34 PM

Swinney announces change to backup QB spot

One of the hot topics for Clemson fans is not the team's impressive run to a No. 2 college football playoff ranking this season but debating on the No. 2 quarte Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot

Nov 21, 2017, 12:36 PM

A Syracuse game too late.

You don't know that.***

Nov 21, 2017, 12:42 PM

Re: You don't know that.***

Nov 21, 2017, 5:53 PM

Yes I do! What are you talking about?

No, you don't. You have an opinion.

Nov 21, 2017, 6:05 PM

Nothing more.

Re: You don't know that.***

Nov 24, 2017, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: You don't know that.*** ]

Well, in my "opinion" Hunter Johnson is the best QB on the team. We are for famous for not playing our best players. Look how long it took Deshaun Watson to takeover the reins, even though anyone with a brain could see that he was by far the superior QB. Politics has no place in football at any level, whatever the motivation. How long will we keep Trevor Lawrence on the bench in order not to hurt anyone's feelings?? Players at this level should be mature enough to realize that the coaching staff has an obligation to the team, the fans, and the school to play the best players available at any position. If they can't accept that, then they should gravitate to a Division 2 or 3 program. or just drop out of football.

Defense lost us that game, not QB play***

Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defense lost us that game, not QB play***

Nov 21, 2017, 1:17 PM

They scored 27 points. Offense could have easily won that game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 4:57 PM

But, once again, we refuse to play our best QB. Will this staff ever learn?? KB is a gutsy guy, but probably the third best QB on our team. Paid millions, and they just don't learn.

LOL, 56-7 courtesy of “the staff”. Can’t cure stupid!***

Nov 21, 2017, 5:09 PM

Buck-buck-buckawwwk

Nov 21, 2017, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Defense lost us that game, not QB play*** ]

Shut up coot.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Defense lost us that game, not QB play*** ]

You give up 27, you're probably not going to win many of those games. JMHO.

Nov 21, 2017, 7:15 PM

Especially if your offense goes 3 and out repeatedly

Thanks for playing

Nov 24, 2017, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Defense lost us that game, not QB play*** ]

Agreed. If you can't win with 27 points, something's broke.

Nov 21, 2017, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Defense lost us that game, not QB play*** ]

Offense didn't do crap to win it. Defense on the field too much.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Defense lost us that game, not QB play*** ]

Well, also not having our regular kicker didn't help.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Dabo is a man of measured moves, I'm glad that all of his experience and success has led him to the exact conclusion I provided weeks ago, I must know what I'm talking about :)

Nov 21, 2017, 2:16 PM

And it could be blind hog syndrome too.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:03 PM

KB is benefitting from having a very good team around him. He misses throw after throw. WR's obviously frustrated. Same stubborn sh$$$ from the coaching staff. In spite of millions, some people never learn. We'll pay dearly in the playoffs.

You are capital D

Nov 21, 2017, 6:08 PM

Dumb.

Nov 21, 2017, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

YOU obviously benefit from being in the locker room. That, or a traumatic brain injury. I haven't decided yet, but I will get to the bottom of it. After I finish my beer

Nov 21, 2017, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Agreed.

yea, broken clock and all...***

Nov 21, 2017, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 21, 2017, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Says coach Bengaltiger. If only the rest of the coaching staff would have listened to your sniveling, passive aggressive, uninformed, arm chair prognostications.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 5:04 PM

Wow! And I thought you were serious.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Exactly......Go Tigers!!!!!

Let it go!***

Nov 21, 2017, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Nov 21, 2017, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

You cannot blame thay game on any one position. Injuries lost that game for us.
Db's couldnt stop anything
PK missed 2 of 3
An already hobbled qb takes an ### whoopin. You could legitimately say that the coaches could / should have had one of the backups ready, but that doesn't mean they would have won that game. Deshaun could have, but we can't keep hitting that button... he's gone.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

You cannot blame thay game on any one position. Injuries lost that game for us.
Db's couldnt stop anything
PK missed 2 of 3
An already hobbled qb takes an ### whoopin. You could legitimately say that the coaches could / should have had one of the backups ready, but that doesn't mean they would have won that game. Deshaun could have, but we can't keep hitting that button... he's gone.

Nov 21, 2017, 6:00 PM

I think we had a couple of All-American QB's sitting on the bench. Hello?

Nov 21, 2017, 7:18 PM

Lmao. You were just saying he couldn't play. Now he's all American. You are a coot

Two words

Nov 21, 2017, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Willy Korn

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cooper must be a practice Heisman

Nov 21, 2017, 12:39 PM

Bc it's not even close who's better based purely on in game perfornance.

Re: Cooper must be a practice Heisman

Nov 21, 2017, 4:05 PM

The Clemson scuttlebutt has it that he is.

Re: Cooper must be a practice Heisman

Nov 21, 2017, 5:06 PM

How can you mention Cooper and Heisman in the same breath?

Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing

Nov 21, 2017, 12:39 PM

there is absolutely no way a guy comes out and plays that much better than another guy and doesn't do the same thing in practice on a normal basis.

Also, if that were the case DW would have started from day 1. There is no way Stoudt was better in practice than DW.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but it is obviously just my opinion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Day-to-day thing

Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 PM

I, for one, think Dabo is handling it EXACTLY correct. Push everyone to be their best everyday. Maybe a little different in an office, but not on a HIGHLY competitive football field.

Re: Day-to-day thing

Nov 21, 2017, 1:22 PM

You’re dead on right Bisquick. Nothing can be given that’s not earned. Plus none of these arm chair coaches know what HJ’s learning curve on pre-snap reads & calling protections have been.

Re: Day-to-day thing

Nov 21, 2017, 5:18 PM

Sounds like an excuse.

DW was coming off of a shoulder injury in the spring

Nov 21, 2017, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

when he was a freshmen

Shhhhhh, now you know that Dabo was leaving DW on the

Nov 21, 2017, 5:17 PM

bench to spite the fans.

Re: Shhhhhh, now you know that Dabo was leaving DW on the

Nov 21, 2017, 5:19 PM

No, just out of stubborn stupidity.

LOL on you mentioning stupidity. Great example!***

Nov 21, 2017, 5:28 PM

Even if it's not, it's still smart to say it is. He wants

Nov 21, 2017, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

Cooper to keep working to get better which, in turn, will push Johnson to get better as well. Competition is good.

Re: Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing

Nov 21, 2017, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

Hello, armchair QBs! Some posters are downright ignorant in their “commentaries” about our QBs. Quit second guessing the paid staff on doing their jobs! Heck I am 64 years young and know better than to judge Dabo and staff off of one season of work. Clemson fans best enjoy having multiple QBs because Hunter Johnson and everyone else has to earn playing time and have the poise and skills needed to keep it. Obviously until last Saturday he was not fully ready or not needed.

We have bigger matters to look toward.

Go Tigers!

Nov 21, 2017, 5:20 PM

Really, coach?

Nov 21, 2017, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

Another thing these arm chair coaches are forgetting. These guys are in college, now. They have classes to go to and there is no parent to look over their shoulder. That's a LOT of responsibility. Learn a playbook and take a full load of classes. Coach has to be sure they are able to handle All of that.

I still remember my freshman chemistry class. Professor walks in, looks around, and says... this is a weed out course for engineers. Most of you won't survive. Quit now while you can

So, the staff just whiffed on Stoudt and Cooper?***

Nov 21, 2017, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Define whiff.*

Nov 21, 2017, 5:11 PM

nm

Nov 21, 2017, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

Having watched the Texans' preseason, Tom Savage was clearly the better QB in the preseason. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't watch the games myself. But Savage was a strip sack waiting to happen in a game. Even after getting the nod, DW4 wasn't great the first two weeks, then took off in Week 3.

We don't get to see college preseason practices, but I can believe Stoudt was the better QB at the start of the season, especially seeing that DW4 had been injured in the spring. DW is a fast learner, but he still needed time to learn.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

I totally agree with you. Apologists can flame away, but it doesn't change the facts. Our best current QB, Hunter Johnson, will probably transfer. Then they'll probably continue to play KB, with the best QB in the nation siting on the bench. Go figure.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:41 PM

Ohhhh that was harsh but, I can't honestly say that I haven't had some of those same thoughts only bc of how many times we heard a few years ago that Cole Stoudt gave the team their best chance to win. But at that same time when healthy, we saw DW4 lighting it up when he was given a chance to come in and play a series or two. Day and night, wet or dry, big or small was the difference in the two QBs with DW4 being way out in front when comparing the performance of the two QBs!!!Even the ones pointing fingers with accusations of the famous arm chair coaches. I'm not a coach, nor do I believe I would make a good arm chair coach, but it has been clear with the little bit of time that Cooper and Johnson has had behind center, that HJ performed better with the most success and better stats in the passing game. Any time the passing game is a big threat, the running game opens up to use the RBs that we now have that are a serious threat also... "IF" I was a coach, I'm pretty sure I would use the accurate arm for our elite receivers to open up our elite RBs. Just saying;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your opinion, Dabo is the coach.***

Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

Nov 21, 2017, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo but there is no way it is a day-to-day thing ]

Stoudt - 4 years in the system learning the process
Deshaun... a few months in the system, coming out of HIGH SCHOOL. Hindsight being what it is, anyone can say "I told you so", but how many HIGH SCHOOLERS can do that. 2nd year, yeah. a couple months, c'mon man. That's a real leap, for a major coach, to just put out there. He has to know the system, he has to be physically ready AND he has to be able to handle the school load. NO ONE in his right mind would expect what Deshaun was able to do.

Nov 21, 2017, 10:04 PM

Dabo watched DW4 for 4 years, and I promise you he knew exactly what he was seeing in DW4, and he knew what he was capable of from day one!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 12:41 PM

Only question is....why did it take this long? So obvious HJ was the clear #2 early on in the season.

Pretty obvious that Cooper will be our first transfer from the QB rotation. Just wondering who the second attrition QB will be.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 21, 2017, 12:50 PM

Does anyone think that K Bryant leaves after this year. See the writing on wall.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:28 PM

No, and this is ridiculous statement and question given we are #2 and heading towards post-season at 9-1!

10 - 1***

Nov 21, 2017, 1:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Where would be go? To the corporate work force? Not NFL stuff.... Yet

Depends on what KB wants to do.

Nov 21, 2017, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Before next season, KB will have his degree in hand and a year of eligibility left.

If he wants to come back, go to grad school, and play QB, he'll be part of the competition.
If he wants to go to the NFL, he's probably going to need to change positions.
If he wants to transfer, he can do that without penalty.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Where would he go? North Texas State or Wofford?

Nov 21, 2017, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Was gonna type same regarding transfer. This is kinda telegraphing next season's depth chart a bit - everyone knows there's a backlog of talent at the position so he's doing all a favor with transparency.

Tucker is going to be the second -

Nov 21, 2017, 3:53 PM

I don’t see Tucker going anywhere. Next year is his last year of eligibility and he’d have to go the FCS route to play. I think his health issues are enough for him to realize he’s gone about as far as he ever will with football & is enjoying the ride he’s on with this program

Nov 21, 2017, 4:19 PM

Tucker redshirted as a freshman, so he has 2 years of eligibility. Once he graduates, he has far more freedom to transfer.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

I've heard that in fact he's the best passer on the team, but is a bit short. Anyone remember Doug Floutie?

Nov 21, 2017, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Cooper
Isreal, if he can play
Brice.

Johnson will play next season. Then he and Lawrence will fight it out. If Johnson is that good, he will finish and be on to the NFL in 2 years. Lawrence will hang for a season

if only he had gotten a chance

Nov 21, 2017, 12:43 PM

against cuse we would be undefeated right no..lets be real..hunter didnt magically progress that much better than cooper over the course of 4 weeks..he was better than cooper since day one...dabo pulled the same chit with watson and cole...once the fans saw watson in action he could no longer sell the bs that cole was better

We may have won with HJ

Nov 21, 2017, 12:45 PM

but our defense that night was atrocious and Cuse QB played amazing, so I'm not putting that one squarely on QB play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we were one drive from winning

Nov 21, 2017, 12:48 PM

sure defense was do do but cooper wasnt going to lead us to anything..baffling why they didnt try to ignite the team by putting johnson in.

Re: we were one drive from winning

Nov 21, 2017, 12:51 PM

Exactly I will never understand it.
It was obvious that ZC would not lead us to victory.
Our WRs were wide open the whole second half and he couldn't get them the ball.

Nov 21, 2017, 7:48 PM

Here is my opinion. You can take it for what it's worth.

I think HJ supporters have focused on the wrong side of the equation when trying to understand the depth chart. I have always translated the staff saying "he gives us the best chance to win" to "he is the least likely to lose the game". IMO, HJ has displayed superior passing as far back as the Spring game. I believe the coaching staff would even agree. So, why ZC before HJ? Because I think in their eyes the upside in passing did not outweigh the risk of a freshman mistake losing the game. With our defense, hard to blame them.

Ironically, I think HJ would have played in the debacle at SU had we been losing worse - where we were going to air it out to win. I honestly think the staff just thought we would pull it out in the end.

I think the depth chart change is admission that the upside difference now outweighs the downside risk.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:46 PM [ in reply to we were one drive from winning ]

This game was lost with special teams. People seem to forget that if Alex Spence would’ve made the two kicks he missed, the final score would’ve been 30-27, regardless of how the defense played and not having Kelly.

Nov 21, 2017, 6:09 PM

I doubt Syracuse would have taken knees to run out the clock if they were down 3. Nobody knows what the final score would have been if Spence made FG's (or HJ had played).

Re: We may have won with HJ

Nov 21, 2017, 12:50 PM [ in reply to We may have won with HJ ]

Sustaining drives helps the defense.

Re: We may have won with HJ

Nov 21, 2017, 1:41 PM [ in reply to We may have won with HJ ]

most would agree, but the fact that hunter didn't get a drive in that game seems to drive most crazy...I mean you took a shot on a fake punt with a freshman and Hunter doesn't get a series because he only knows a few plays, wasnt ready,he has just looked way better every time we have seen him,

also, its fun watching all the "praise Dabo's" have to tack since apparently all the arm chair qbs were right

Missing two easy FGs in a 3-point loss was the problem too

Nov 21, 2017, 1:50 PM [ in reply to We may have won with HJ ]

We just had a bad game all around and having to lean on a back-up QB didn't help matters for sure.

I do agree with those who recognize that Hunter Johnson puts the ball in his receivers hands with zip and accuracy better than the other QBs on the roster. He is a clear #2 this year and will battle Trevor Lawrence for the #2 spot in the spring.

Who is the starting QB in the opener next season will be the most intresting aspect of the off-season.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIRE 'EM ALL!

Nov 21, 2017, 1:28 PM [ in reply to if only he had gotten a chance ]

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al Champs!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Cooper had nothing to do with the 2 missed fg’s.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:31 PM [ in reply to if only he had gotten a chance ]

He did enough to win but we blew it in other areas. It is a ream sport after all.

Re: if only he had gotten a chance

Nov 21, 2017, 5:28 PM [ in reply to if only he had gotten a chance ]

Totally agree. Does Dabo have a problem here?

Good for HJ, glad the coaches feel comfortable he has enough

Nov 21, 2017, 12:53 PM

of a handle on the entire offense to make a difference.

It's not just his accuracy in game/practice that's on trial daily, it's his accuracy in every aspect of the playbook, game plan, not just his assignments, but everyone else on the field as he's responsible for the entirety of the Offense.

The young man hasn't been on campus a year and has eclipsed someone hand-picked to run this offense and with a year plus in the system on HJ under his belt.

Nice job HJ and hopefully your missteps in trying to close out the GT game are behind you. Some moments are too big, that was one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good for HJ, glad the coaches feel comfortable he has enough

Nov 21, 2017, 1:18 PM

I would rather run HJ out there with 5 plays than Cooper with the entire playbook.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you would.***

Nov 21, 2017, 1:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HUH?

Nov 21, 2017, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Good for HJ, glad the coaches feel comfortable he has enough ]

"Nice job HJ and hopefully your missteps in trying to close out the GT game are behind you. Some moments are too big, that was one."

HUH????????

He messed up, egregiously & met with Dabo's ire as a result.***

Nov 21, 2017, 1:21 PM

Re: Just looked at Play by Play and it's not jumping

Nov 21, 2017, 1:26 PM

out - was it a bad handoff on 2nd? (but in a 24-10 game "some moments are too big"? ?????)

1st and 10 at GT 27

(1:01 - 4th) Adam Choice run for no gain to the GTech 27

2nd and 10 at GT 27

(0:19 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 17 yards to the GTech 44 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Clem

3rd and 27 at GT 44

(0:19 - 4th) CLEMSON Penalty, Delay of Game (-5 Yards) to the GTech 49

He ran out of bounds stopping the clock when he was being

Nov 21, 2017, 1:29 PM

coached to end the game and run clock accordingly.

You should go to the game video, you'll see Dabo giving 2 signs, one for stretching the snap count, then one for spending time before he picked up the bad snap and ran out of bounds, therefore stopping the clock.

You'll also see how warmly he was welcomed on the sideline by Dabo, because he was specifically put in that situation as a test and he failed.

He was the first off the bench to close the game, not ZC.

Re: He ran out of bounds stopping the clock when he was being

Nov 21, 2017, 1:39 PM

Ok, got it. But i wouldn't say "some moments are too big, that was one", good lawd not like it was for the Natty ...

Go Tigers, beat the cawks!!

See the thing is to a coach, Dabo, it is that big and it ...

Nov 21, 2017, 1:53 PM

might really benefit "people" to really watch Dabo on the final series.

It's a teaching moment, a great one because HJ got lost in the moment. After the last first down there's 1:30ish left in the game, Dabo tells HJ to "hold it", then points to the play clock and gives him the stretch sign to run snap & clock. After that, he gives him the money sign, spend more time and then the worst happens - bad snap, panic.

He's teaching, Dabo's always teaching and the announcers point out that in this game at that point, Dabo is continuing to work hard to help a young player and reminding the viewing audience/pointing out another reason this program is where it is.

Things happen, things go wrong, like bad snaps, but you don't get lost in the moment when you're running the show and HJ did. It's not the end of the world, but he was 2nd off the bench because his coach, Streeter, asked Dabo to let HJ close the game.

We've all heard it over and over and over again, doing the common things in an uncommon way, attention to detail and on and on... That's the Dabo way, that's the Clemson way and will pay HUGH dividends down the road.

These are the intricate details Dabo discusses and many bring up in pointing out to so many others that they do not see 90+ percent of what these guys do on a daily basis.

It's important, it's all important when one play, one situation, one moment can make all the difference.

HJ deserves a lot of credit for being less than a year removed from matriculation and now owning the 2nd spot, but there's been bumps along the way, for sure, and why Dabo reminds people, there are no contracts, no promises - everything is earned.

These guys know the what up, no way in this world Dabo and staff are risking the soul of this team by showing these players anything other than integrity and that includes making decisions about playing time and depth charts.

THIS. Thank you.

Nov 21, 2017, 4:27 PM

Hunter Johnson has a lot of talent, but he's still a teenager. His time will come.

KB may not always hit the deep ball, but his arm is good enough and he rarely makes a bad decision. That is HUGE for a coach and why KB is the starter.

Re: THIS. Thank you.

Nov 21, 2017, 8:10 PM

KB went three and out 4 times in a row before fumbling the ball back to FSU at the end of the game.

Get your head out of the sand

Even ESPN were talking about him.

Damm you! You've given away two of our signals.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:21 PM [ in reply to See the thing is to a coach, Dabo, it is that big and it ... ]

The "burn clock" and "don't run out of bounds" signs. Now, the Gamecocks will have nothing to look forward to trying to steal in the last quarter of the game.

excellent post***

Nov 21, 2017, 10:13 PM [ in reply to See the thing is to a coach, Dabo, it is that big and it ... ]

Re: Good for HJ, glad the coaches feel comfortable he has enough

Nov 21, 2017, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Good for HJ, glad the coaches feel comfortable he has enough ]

Don't hate

Only the deserving.***

Nov 21, 2017, 1:55 PM

Nov 21, 2017, 1:45 PM

I am amazed at how so many on this site are so quick to eat their own. As long as these young men are doing their best, we need to support them all whether they are first string or 4th string. Why bash a kid who is doing all he can to help Clemson win just because he doesnt live up to your idea of perfection. Support Dabo, support all the players.

Nov 21, 2017, 1:55 PM

There really aren’t any Freshmen this time of year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 2:13 PM

I think this is wise for the USCe game. If we fall behind (possible but unlikely) and KB is not throwing well, HJ is better suited to get the passing game going; we have guys that can catch. USCe will stack the box and try to make KB beat them passing (about the only defensive option they have). We may still be able to run on them anyway.

Best case scenario is we have a good enough lead for KB to come out, and HJ still throws the ball and we score more.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:20 PM

NEVER IN ALL MY BORN DAYS HAVE I SEEN A GROUP OF SO CALLED FANS BE SO ENAMORED WITH THE BACKUP QB WHEN OUR STARTER IS RANKED IN THE TOP 10 OF QB RATING. A STARTER THAT HAS WON EVERY GAME HE FINISHED AND GUIDED A VERY YOUNG TEAM WITH 3 SENIOR STARTERS TO THE VERGE OF ANOTHER PLAYOFF APPEARANCE. IT TRULY BOGGLES THE MIND HOW IDIOTIC SOME PEOPLE COULD BE.

Nov 21, 2017, 3:06 PM

Exactly. Most paranoid place on the planet this fall is TNET on a Saturday afternoon when we’re not winning by 5 touchdowns. This place has become a zoo. Crump should institute an emotional intelligence test in order for people to get a handle on here.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

I see your point. However, KB has been very fortunate in having a very good team around him. The fact is that he has missed pass after pass. He is a very average QB, let's face it.

Nov 24, 2017, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

> NEVER IN ALL MY BORN DAYS HAVE I SEEN A GROUP OF SO
> CALLED FANS BE SO ENAMORED WITH THE BACKUP QB WHEN
> OUR STARTER IS RANKED IN THE TOP 10 OF QB RATING. A
> STARTER THAT HAS WON EVERY GAME HE FINISHED AND
> GUIDED A VERY YOUNG TEAM WITH 3 SENIOR STARTERS TO
> THE VERGE OF ANOTHER PLAYOFF APPEARANCE. IT TRULY
> BOGGLES THE MIND HOW IDIOTIC SOME PEOPLE COULD BE.

Dude he only has 3, 200 yard games not 300, 200!

Stop acting like KB is some great world beating QB cuz he's not 6 TD & 4 INT on the season vs power 5 conference teams. He's averaging 187 PASSING Yards a game vs power 5 teams. That's TURRIBLE!

It's a joke having him as our QB, can't wait for Trevor. Can't get here soon enough and then we can all go back being spoiled with another 1st rd pick QB.

This season has been beyond frustrating I could only imagine the frustration the WR have with KB when they are wide open on a 10yard out and the ball is thrown at their feet. I hope Cain waits another year before going pro. I'm sure he doesn't want another year of ###### ball after ###### ball thrown his way. Anyone who acts like KB is a great passer is just dumb no way else to say it. Hopefully KB throws for over 200 and doesn't blow it vs usuck.

Shhh Hunter Starts and SC gets torched. LOL!***

Nov 21, 2017, 2:15 PM

Finally !!!

Nov 21, 2017, 2:37 PM

I hope we don't need him, but he deserves the chance.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:39 PM

Based on these comments it will be very interesting to see how the QB pecking order shapes out next fall.

Nov 21, 2017, 2:43 PM

YOU GOOBERS DO REALIZE WE HAVE 4 MORE GAMES LEFT IN THIS SEASON I TAKE IT.

Nov 21, 2017, 3:03 PM

No Shizzzz.

I can't take the disrespect and constant second guessing -

Nov 21, 2017, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

So what is your point? Should we forfeit?

Nov 21, 2017, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

*potentially have 4 more games left in the season. Don't take it for granted that we're a lock for the playoffs. Anything can happen. No disrespect meant to anyone, but we should have intense competition at QB next fall. No harm in looking forward to it. It should bring out the best in every one of them.

Nov 21, 2017, 10:03 AM

AND WHY ARE WE YELLING?!

Nov 21, 2017, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH

Playoff scenario

Nov 21, 2017, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

There are no "locks", but our path is straightforward:

Beat SC and Beat Miami and we're in.
Lose either and we're not.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Totally agree.

Nov 24, 2017, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

> Based on these comments it will be very interesting
> to see how the QB pecking order shapes out next fall.

Il give you a preview

Lawrence
Johnson
Bryce

Cooper transfers to SC state
KB either graduates or switches over to WR his days at QB need to be over with after this season. We need more then 187passing yards per game vs power 5 teams. We need more then single digit touchdowns 11 games into the season. We need a QB who is capable of making a tough throw in the 4th qtr down 6, & that isn't KB. KB doesn't even have a 4th qtr touchdown THIS SEASON! Just think about that for a second zero passing touchdowns in every 4th qtr this ENTIRE season.... Sept 2018 can't get here soon enough.

Nov 25, 2017, 7:16 PM

I don't want to assume how the competition will shake out. I'm just saying it should be interesting. KB is a proven winner, Johnson has proven he's a talent, and Lawrence has the best tape since Marino.

Nov 21, 2017, 3:52 PM

Give it a rest Tiger fans. I'd like to know the fan more qualified to pick the 2nd string QB. Name him/her. Next up will be decided by our coaches, not opinion, imo.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot***

Nov 21, 2017, 4:26 PM

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 4:28 PM

For all of you saying the Cuse game was on the D.
Well you are very wrong , the only game this season the D didn't control the game.
Our O was pathetic vs a Defense that has giving up bunches of points.
The Tiger D had 1 off game and we lost vs a team that is now 4-7.
Come on now even without KB we should have put at least 40 on them .

Nov 21, 2017, 4:59 PM

HOW WERE WE GOING TO DO THAT WHEN WE COULD NOT GET OFF THE FIELD ON D. YOU SIR ARE THE ONE THAT IS WRONG.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:04 PM

We had the ball plenty in the second half.
Missed FGs and missed Wide open receivers

So it was on ALL phases of the game then

Nov 21, 2017, 6:09 PM

Agreed?

Nov 21, 2017, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Agreed. Worst game we've played in years. I don't understand it. Weren't ready to play, they were.

What's truly funny is, we can play that baf

Nov 21, 2017, 6:11 PM

on Saturday, and still defeather the pathetic coots. Syracuse would beat the snot out of the cawks. Agreed?

Nov 21, 2017, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney announces change to backup QB spot ]

Agreed.

Nov 21, 2017, 5:55 PM

Glad Dabo took the time to read the boreds and made a good decision based on all the helpful poasts found here.

Fans have seen HJ as #2 for a long time. Glad Dabo gets it.

Nov 21, 2017, 10:24 PM

I feel better now knowing HJ will likely go in if KB goes down. HJ has looked impressive during games. I have no idea what coaches see in practice. But some players are gamers, and HJ just might be a gamer.

I bet we see Bryant AND Johnson Saturday.

Nov 21, 2017, 11:37 PM

And not after the game has been decided either. It would give Miami something extra to think about too.

Free HJ!

Nov 21, 2017, 11:51 PM

Please!!!
KB is a stud, but HJ has “IT”. ZC is cool with the boyz unlike HJ (which by the way is why HJ is not a practice player) but not a big gamer when the pressure’s on.
Go TIGERS! #Beat them chickens

He must have read my tnet post***

Nov 24, 2017, 1:26 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 128
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic