Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Steele: Trevor Lawrence leading Clemson to Playoff in 2018
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

TNET: Steele: Trevor Lawrence leading Clemson to Playoff in 2018

Jun 21, 2018, 11:35 AM

Steele: Trevor Lawrence leading Clemson to Playoff in 2018

College football analyst Phil Steele has already projected Clemson making a fourth-straight Playoff run. How do they get there? A freshman quarterback leading t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL gonna be busy***

Jun 21, 2018, 11:54 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Steele: Trevor Lawrence leading Clemson to Playoff in 2018

Jun 21, 2018, 12:14 PM

Interesting since Don Munson already said KB starting every game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2018, 12:32 PM

#8 team for receivers?!?!?! WHAT. At the VERY least, this WR corps is in the top 3 in the country. I'd take them over any other team's receivers, anytime, anywhere.

Jun 21, 2018, 12:46 PM

Well depends on who is throwing them the ball. They wouldn't be top 3 with a bad QB because you won't know how good they are.

Jun 23, 2018, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Steele: Trevor Lawrence leading Clemson to Playoff in 2018 ]

It's top Top 3 with T Law at QB. And it's middling with Kelly Bryant (aka a tall RB) playing at QB.

Jun 21, 2018, 12:34 PM

Also, I actually think our special teams will be good this year. Once BT Potter arrives, we'll have 3 starting caliber kickers. We have a great punter. I suppose the only thing unknown is the kickoff and punt coverage.

The key to special teams is more about coverage and blocking

Jun 21, 2018, 2:05 PM

Bama's key to victory last yr was their KO and punt coverage. Field position was consistently in their favor and it paid off.

We need better returns, and deeper punts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The key to special teams is more about coverage and blocking

Jun 21, 2018, 5:56 PM

I think that a good punter should have punts 40 to 45 yard with a hang time of 4.0 seconds or better, and this is what we need for keeping great field position with our defense!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The key to special teams is more about coverage and blocking

Jun 21, 2018, 6:16 PM [ in reply to The key to special teams is more about coverage and blocking ]

Thinking Amari Rodgers will be a help on the retuns.

Bama special teams much better than Tigers

Jun 23, 2018, 6:51 PM [ in reply to The key to special teams is more about coverage and blocking ]

Schemes, personnel, coaching, kickers you name it. But true frosh QB Tua won the natl championship for Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see it.

Jun 21, 2018, 1:17 PM

You can't bench an experienced starter who led you to an 11-1 regular season record, a playoff berth, and a #1 ranking in the polls in his first year sarting. You just can't. Now once the playoffs start, all bets are off. But I agree with Don Munson. Kelly Bryant will start every regular season game.

Sure you can

Jun 21, 2018, 1:26 PM

If he isn't the best option.

Alabama gave every decent team we play this year a scheme to stop our offense. Crash the line of scrimmage. Sell out and make a throw beat you

If Kelly cant see that and throw over the top, next guy gets to try

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure you can

Jun 21, 2018, 6:46 PM

We don't play too many teams that can defend like an Alabama .
In fact , we play zero who can .
I'm not saying KB shouldn't feel the pressure of TL and then perform well to keep the starts ... but he has earned the right to be our starting QB on day 1 .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Yep.

Jun 22, 2018, 12:15 AM

Alabama didnt invent anything new. They were hungrier, they played harder, and they were the more physical team.

Re: Yep.

Jun 23, 2018, 7:20 PM

You forgot they were angry

KB absolutely crumbled under the pressure of TL

Jun 23, 2018, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Sure you can ]

in Spring Game. Players and coaches can easily see on the field who is more talented - fans can too. Who did you have in 2017? Deshaun or Tom Savage? TS was going to start every 2017 game.

TL will surpass KB quickly. You can't hide talent though Dabo did his dammdest at Spring game to call back several TL plays. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure you can

Jun 23, 2018, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Sure you can ]

It will be hard to find someone to disagree with statement bc, he has earned the right to start.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont know if he starts "every game"

Jun 22, 2018, 12:09 AM [ in reply to Sure you can ]

But he will definitely start. He'll continue to start unless he falters.

I just don't get this argument

Jun 21, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to I don't see it. ]

Everyone always preaches the best player will play so why doesn't this also apply to the QB situation? If Trevor is the better player and gives us the best chance of winning a championship, why shouldn't he be the starter?

Are you gonna boo when KB starts?

Jun 22, 2018, 12:11 AM

It will work out just fine.

Re: I don't see it.

Jun 21, 2018, 2:15 PM [ in reply to I don't see it. ]

I would say our defense led... Same reasoning to Bama vs UGA. Bama got there (again) by their stellar line play and once they faced a line just as good as we did with Bama they couldn't move the ball just like we couldn't nor bama vs us. Bama outplayed us due to field position, they'd get a first down or two then punt out we would 3 and out and they slowly chipped closer and closer until they'd hit a FG which was the deciding factor in the end. KB is a great athlete but lacks in aspects to be considered complete just like Jalen Hurts they both benefit off of winning starting field position due to stellar defense and it takes a huge edge off of them that they can hold opposing defenses on the field for a long time until they make a play from their athleticism, but this backfires when you face an offense that can chip away against your defense aswell. (past 2 national championships between Clemson and Alabama) You see that stellar defense on both sides flat worn out because both teams are moving and both years it came to what defense was left on the field last to win. Whether it's KB or TL we're going to have to be 2 dimensional to beat stellar defenses by passing, our RB's have proven they can run.

Jun 21, 2018, 3:23 PM

Esso. Agree with you. If we had won the toss and caught a easy dropped pass it could have been a different game. Also, Dabo should have chose Rose Bowl and Bama should not have been in playoffs. They didn't earn it, were rested and wanted revenge. If Sabin can replace starting QB we should if needed.

Jun 21, 2018, 3:30 PM

+1000000 points....To turn down the Rose Bowl made me consider that Dabo might have wandered into the Top of the Tavern by mistake and asked for "anything that's cool"....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB is a good athlete. HJ had a faster 40.***

Jun 23, 2018, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't see it. ]

Jun 21, 2018, 6:03 PM [ in reply to I don't see it. ]

I'm sorry but, I must disagree with the KB starting every game this season bc even as a true freshman, TL is the difference of a dime to a dollar more talented than KB, and the second he has the play book down, he will take over as our starter, and he will never look back at KB or any QB at Clemson or coming in. TL is a 2.0 of a DW4, and can be better!!!

If this were any other position there wouldn't even be a

Jun 21, 2018, 8:00 PM [ in reply to I don't see it. ]

question.

Go back and actually watch all of our games from last year and then make a case that KB was the reason we were 11-1. Our inability to move the football consistently kept a lot of games closer than they should have been and could have easily cost us more than one game. You say when the playoffs start all bets are off, but there's no guarantee we're getting back there, especially if defenses are allowed to stack the box and dare KB to beat them with his arm.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 7:26 PM [ in reply to I don't see it. ]

So you don't believe best is the standard?

Jun 24, 2018, 2:22 AM [ in reply to I don't see it. ]

Start every game and let TL take over after the regular season? If he's going to play when it matters most why not just start him out of the gate so he can get comfortable and get some playing time under his belt. Better then just saying ok TL hope you enjoyed those mental reps now go out and beat the top 4 teams in the country... Trevor Lawrence is a better QB right now then KB will ever be. If TL could have some how skipped his senior year of HS he would have started last year. I'll say this once and only once anyone who says oh you can't bench a QB who took you 11-1 in the reg season, yes , yes , you absolutely can! Ask Trent Dilfer what happened to his job after he won the super bowl. KB didn't win us any games last year he didn't drive down the field and out throw some defense in crunch time at all. Our defense won us all those games along with safe easy throws and an incredibly more talented players at every position. Go back and look at KB throwing stats absolutely pathetic. You want to start a guy who struggles to throw for 200 yards and 1TD a game over the best QB to play HS football ever? When I see someone say KB should start I just ask have you seen TL play? Did you watch the spring game?

Kent state 16-22 236 TD, INT
Auburn 19-29 181
Louisville 22-32 316 TD
BC 17-26 140 2INT
VT 12-21 186 TD
WF 21-29 200 TD, INT
Cuse 12-17 116
GT 22-33 207 2TD
NCST 20-38 191 TD, INT
FSU 20-30 151
Citadel 17-22 230 3TD
USC 23-34 272 2TD 1INT
Miami 23-29 252 TD

Yes these are final stats no not halftime stats.

1 -300 yard game that had a 80 yard wide open TD
6 - games under 200 yards

This will never happen with Trevor.

Doubt we'll need a strong vertical game till the playoffs

Jun 21, 2018, 1:54 PM

Particularly with our D and a strong running game. Start the upperclassman who has been through the fire while TL gets his feet under him. Even better if we don't have to show off TL's passing skills early IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pull an "Alabama" and unleash our pass attack late in some critical game. No sense in risking the kid getting hurt until we absolutely need him, if at all. If Kelly can move the offense at all early in the season he's the man. TL is our future. Need to protect him as much as possible if Kelly is adequate.

"The future" argument doesn't hold water anymore.

Jun 21, 2018, 3:44 PM

Fact is, if he is the better QB, he will be the QB. I'll trust the coaches with that decision.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Jun 21, 2018, 6:09 PM

Trevor Lawerance is better. Period. You have to pass on SEC teams, especially Alabama. Kelly is good, but someone that passed Deshaun Watson's record in the State of Georgia needs to play now.

Jun 21, 2018, 6:11 PM

Absolutely, TL is the real deal. He will do as DW4 done early but with less injuries!!!

Jun 21, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Steele: Trevor Lawrence leading Clemson to Playoff in 2018 ]

Tucker Isreal passed Tim Tebow's records in Florida . That isn't a metric for playing or starring on the college level .

DB23

Jun 21, 2018, 7:27 PM

https://youtu.be/Z3jYGIi2_dA?t=4...It's not like he's terrible . I think we trust the coaches . They know a little more than we do .

Jun 21, 2018, 7:29 PM

Oops lmao ...Sorry

Why wouldn't Trevor start?

Jun 21, 2018, 8:41 PM

I mean, he simply out performed Kelly Bryant in the Spring Game. Why wouldn't he start? It's not like he barely outperformed KB. It was obvious to all who watched it. I know many will say that it was only the Spring Game. However, when you're a Senior with 4 years in the system, you're supposed to come out and perform during the Spring Game as if it were obvious that you're the one with the starting nod and all of the experience.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Starting QB discussion aside:

Jun 22, 2018, 1:41 PM

PITT

SYRACUSE

If we have one or two of those along the way to seeing TL start we are probably out...

Re: Why wouldn't Trevor start?

Jun 23, 2018, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Why wouldn't Trevor start? ]

I hope TL starts soon but KB was hampered by not being able to run, so the sack rules hurt him in the Spring game. Fact is KB doesn’t have the confidence and probably ability to throw downfield and win the NC for us. Teams will stack the box and someone will pick six one of his long horizontal passes.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why wouldn't Trevor start?

Jun 24, 2018, 7:03 AM

Your point is completely valid, so take it a step farther. KB didn’t have the ability to run vs Alabama either & you remember the result. With what our defense did to Alabama in that game, a vertical two dimensional offensive attack could’ve lead to a blowout win for Clemson

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic