Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update

Feb 14, 2018, 11:06 PM

Shelton Mitchell injury update

Clemson guard Shelton Mitchell took a blow to the head and couldn’t stand up after he hit the floor with 9.1 seconds left in overtime in the game with Florida S Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update

Feb 14, 2018, 11:43 PM

Certainly hope SM will be ok. I've never seen a player have to be carried off the court because he could not move his legs. Where was the stretcher? What does it take to get a foul called? Refs were bush league. Shoulda been a flagrant two.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 12:22 AM

yeah that was amazing and distressing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update ]

I have never seen that either. I couldn't sleep last night. All I could think was, "Are they injuring him by dragging him off the floor like that?" Thinking bad concussion, but who really knows when someone can't walk. There has to be a better way to get a player off of the court. Praying !

He was "Out on his Feet""

Feb 15, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update ]

Yes they should not have dragged him out like a piece of meat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was "Out on his Feet""

Feb 16, 2018, 1:47 AM

I know, his sneakers was bouncing on the floor behind them with his legs limp!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No harm no foul... I guess?***

Feb 15, 2018, 6:24 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You misspelled "blood"***

Feb 15, 2018, 9:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

praying for you buddy

Feb 15, 2018, 6:27 AM

Scary to see how it affected him right afterwards. Hope he is ok and has a long, successful career, unaffected by all this.

Prayers for quick recovery and safe trip back to Clemson.

Feb 15, 2018, 7:50 AM

I don't understand that the folks taking him off the court didn't know that both his legs were dragging behind them. That was #1 serious sign that something was seriously wrong, and this is when you stop dragging him, lay him down and get your top medical personnel to take over!!!

Feb 15, 2018, 8:07 AM

Thomas picked up 3 fouls that I have witnessed people in Wal mart get bumped harder
than what Thomas did. If they going to call touch fouls on him he needs to get his
money's worth. If a Clemson player committed a foul like the against Shelton, there
would be pressure on Brownell to suspend that player or the Swoofy would suspend from
the ACC throne.

Message was edited by: Coothater®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 8:13 AM

I think the play was a “basketball play” with no intent to injure a player. However it was pretty obvious that a foul was committed and should have been witnessed by the officials. No one deserves to be suspended for a play like this. When a player drives to the basket and ends up in the second row it should be obvious it was NOT an ‘all ball’ play. Agree?

I don’t think it was intentional

Feb 15, 2018, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update ]

And honestly, it didn’t look that bad.

It seemed like a bang bang high speed happening.

I just hope Shelton is ok and he is 100% today.

I don’t think it is concussive. I’m hoping it was a stinger that had him disoriented.

They handled it poorly so I pray all is gooD for that young man!!

Praying as I type.

I hope no news is good news.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don’t think it was intentional

Feb 15, 2018, 10:42 AM

I agree. Definitely a foul but not a flagrant. He got the ball first but then came down over the top. Very similar to all the fouls called on 3 point shots. Contact made after the ball is gone is still a foul. But it did not look to me like he was trying to injure anyone.

Feb 15, 2018, 10:51 AM

A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders". This offense includes the former "intentional foul" of fouling an opposing player to prevent an easy breakaway score. In women's basketball only, the unsportsmanlike foul also includes contact dead-ball technical fouls. The penalty for a flagrant 1 or unsportsmanlike foul is two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

There was severe contact to Mitchell's head, it doesn't matter if he hit the ball first or not.

The fouls called on 3-point shots were due to flops, and did not include contact to the head.

Feb 15, 2018, 1:24 PM

I don't think the contact was excessive though. It looked ugly, but both guys were running at top speed, and the defender made a play on the ball, and had to land afterwards.

Feb 15, 2018, 2:08 PM

"Excessive or severe," I would say not being able to walk off the court would be severe.

It doesn't really matter if they're running at top speed, standing still, or walking around, one defender made a play on the ball and the other brought his arms down on another player's head. That, by definition, should have been a flagrant foul.

Not to mention the player saw that the ball was blocked, and still forcibly brought his arms down.

There have been fouls called where a player didn't even see another guy and unintentionally elbowed them, it was called a flagrant foul.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter anymore, just chalk another one up to the black and white stripe team.

...???***

Feb 16, 2018, 1:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I don’t think it was intentional ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

forget the no-call

Feb 15, 2018, 8:23 AM

Where the #### is the stretcher if a kid can’t walk???

Re: forget the no-call

Feb 15, 2018, 9:54 AM

Abso-friggen-lutely!!!

Re: forget the no-call

Feb 15, 2018, 10:43 AM

Yea. That was the big question. How do you drag a guy off that can’t move his legs??????

Feb 15, 2018, 8:56 AM

Prayers are with you.

Feb 15, 2018, 9:16 AM

Appeared to be neck, spinal cord, injury from video replay. Not head .

Feb 15, 2018, 4:12 PM

He took it on the head-further forward than I thought. You can see him grab his head before he goes down and his head never touched the floor (dumba$$ announcers) The area of the brain that took the impact (indirectly) was the region that controls motor functions, and cognitive functions which is why he was "out on his feet"--just an educated guess. That was a vicious, albeit unintentional, blow unlike the FSU guy who blind sided one of our guys in FB and celebrated on his way to the locker room

Feb 15, 2018, 9:21 AM

As the play developed as Shelton brought the ball up the court and then decided to attack the lane & basket, he was fouled twice. The first foul happened on the floor prior to the shot as the FSU defender attempted to reach in & knock the ball from his hands. He was “hacked hard” on the arm. No cal........

The second foul happened after a great defensive play by the second FSU defender got a hand on the ball after he released the shot. The defender made a great play but fouled the h3ll out of Mitchell when he came down on top of him. Shelton was hammered in the head by the defenders arm and/or elbow.

I didn’t think it was flagrant.....it was a great defensive effort. But it definitely was a foul.

ACC officials are afraid to make a call like that late in the game because they supposedly “don’t want to determine the outcome of a game”. I disagree! A foul is a foul at any point within any game from the opening tip until the final second ticks off the clock.

Make the call referees.... it’s what you are hired to do.....enforce the rules of the game!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 10:02 AM

Absolutely, at times it appears that the refs will allow the home court teams have a free for all to prevent a home loss. These issues should be taken with all officials that a foul is a foul and should be called regardless of what point in the game that it occurs!!!

Kelly, you are 100% correct! I have been saying this for

Feb 15, 2018, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update ]

many years, whenever I hear an announcer say something like,"Let them play it out, don't let a call determine the outcome of the game!"

Well, dumbasss, you just want a no-call to determine the outcome of the game?

The came should be called exactly the same in the last seconds, as in the rest of the game!How could anyone think otherwise?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've seen Clemson lose too many games on last second calls

Feb 15, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Shelton Mitchell injury update ]

We lost an NIT game in the late 70s when we were at the line in a tie game with a second or so on the clock. We missed the FT and Larry Nance was called for over-the-back on the rebound just before the buzzer. The other team (Old Dominion, I think) marched to their end and sank two FTs to win the game with no time on the clock.

In the NIT title game in NYC against Cal in 1999 or so, a player drove the lane and ran into a stock still Clemson player and because our guy didn't flop, a foul was called with no time on the clock. Cal player sank the FTs to win the game.

We had a Florida State guard drive the lane in an ACC Tournament game in the early 2000s at the buzzer and draw a chippy foul to go to the line and win with no time left.

All of these fouls were about the same as those committed against Eli Thomas under the basket at the buzzer last night.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love how this team pulls together

Feb 15, 2018, 10:27 AM

and supports one another.

Re: I love how this team pulls together

Feb 15, 2018, 10:46 AM

Yes. And I’m really thankful those two FSU players were close enough and had the presence of mind to grab Mitchell and hold him up until help arrived. He could have taken a bad fall of no one had caught him.

Feb 15, 2018, 6:08 PM

Has CBB or ADR filed a complaint with the ACC over the poor officiating at FSU?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2018, 7:44 PM

Couch the play on Shelton any way you want to, but the body contact before and head contact after was violent. Yeah, speed of play may have contributed, but this level of contact has no excuses when you compare it with incidental contact refs call every game. Those refs should be sanctioned, imo. I've seen calls for a Technical in my 40 years of watching college BB.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic