Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 78
| visibility 1

TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson

Jun 24, 2020, 7:31 PM

Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson

COVID-19 has increased significantly recently in the city of Clemson. South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) announced Wednesday o Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson

Jun 24, 2020, 7:50 PM

Face Coverings? Nice how they leave out the term "mask".

Anyone want to guess why?

Jun 24, 2020, 7:56 PM

I get your point, but I'm pretty sure it's actually because most of these ordinances do allow you to use scarves, or even a t-shirt pulled up so it covers nose and mouth. Now, the next thing they need to do is have police give out free masks on a first offense to a citizen so that there's just no excuse for someone to not be masked up.

that's what they are planning to do. they have masks to

Jun 25, 2020, 7:41 AM

distribute to anyone needing them

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Jun 24, 2020, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Why do you care coot? I’m sure you’re still hoping the town gets looted and vandalized like you hope for two weeks ago.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2020, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

The fines are ridiculously low for threatening and risking another human life other than your own. You can be fined more for throwing a cigarette butt out of your vehicle window!!! They have made the definition of Mandatory sound so insignificant. Another direct failure for our city/county lawmakers!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 9:05 AM

Stop all your whining. Go be elected to council so we can fuss at you.

^^^^^SNOWFLAKE^^^^^^***

Jun 25, 2020, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Re: ^^^^^SNOWFLAKE^^^^^^***

Jun 25, 2020, 12:59 PM

Nope. Wrong again.

Liberals are snowflakes. They think that everything that happens to them is someones elses fault. Blame someone else because they cant be wrong or held accountable for their own actions.

Hmmm. Are you all SPARKLY? just a glittery sort person... Sound like youre the snowflake

Jun 26, 2020, 6:41 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

As stupid as it may sound, I could wear the mask on my wrist. Years ago NC had to amend their motorcycle helmet law to say it had to be worn on the head because a guy successfully argued that he was wearing it on his knee when he was ticketed. It may be just to avoid that type argument.

So does that shut down all restaurants?

Jun 24, 2020, 7:58 PM

Pretty hard to eat with a mask on.

Re: So does that shut down all restaurants?

Jun 24, 2020, 8:53 PM

I can hardly wait to wear a mask the whole time we're moving our daughter into her dorm.

Yeah, 90 degrees, 80% humiditiy, and up and down stairs.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:23 PM

Those days weren't fun without masks.

many clemson area restaurants are shut down anyway because

Jun 25, 2020, 7:42 AM [ in reply to So does that shut down all restaurants? ]

they've had employees testing positive for COVID19 and are doing their due diligence to check everyone and clean.

Jun 24, 2020, 8:02 PM

https://twitter.com/MdKnightBabe/status/1275537902009675776

Amazing how nurses and especially surgeons doing brain

Jun 24, 2020, 8:45 PM

surgery all these years have managed to stay alive. And keep a clear head when using masks for hours and hours at a time.

Someone better tell all these nurses and doctors.

Actually, I'd love to see that test with a blood oxygen monitor on his finger.

Another amazing thing.....I assume he's somewhere close to sea level, clearly less than 1,000 feet above sea level anyway. Guess what the fresh outdoor air oxygen level is in Denver Colorado? Yep, his alarm would be going off at 17%. How do the Denver Broncos do it? And what use is his little alarm in Denver if it goes off all day? Millions of people breathe 17% oxygen their whole lives if they live in Denver. Now a few people live in Mexico City. Their oxygen level is 16%. The capital city of Bolivia, La Paz, they are all dead now because the oxygen level there is 13%.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's not arguing any of that. He's simply saying

Jun 24, 2020, 9:25 PM

that it violates OSHA's on guidelines.

So how does OSHA work in Denver?

Jun 24, 2020, 9:37 PM

Seriously. Did they get an exemption or something?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is training. People are wearing N95 without training.

Jun 24, 2020, 10:05 PM

The mask does reduce oxygen intake and one must be trained and learn to breathe through them. Similar to high altitudes, breathing is more labored. It takes getting used to, and exerting oneself while wearing it is dangerous without proper training. There are numerous studies showing the effects of mask wearing in the operating theater as well, especially for extended periods of time. These masks are not meant to be worn for extended periods of time. The increased inhalation of water vapor from one’s own breath can lead to other illnesses. Please wear masks, but use them properly and find time to remove them regularly.

I didn't recieve any training last time I visited Denver

Jun 24, 2020, 10:42 PM

I missed that memo. I'm just going by his numbers of course.

No $hit...I live in Bogota which is at 8200 feet

Jun 25, 2020, 5:50 AM

3000 feet higher than Denver at 5200 ft. That's a 40% increase. Everyone here wears a mask and no one complains.

The selfishness of people who complain about this simple inconvenience is astonishing. Colombians have a tight family structure and even the very youngest all wear masks to protect grandma.

I am utterly embarrassed so see this even to be an issue in America. The word snowflake comes to mind if I liked labels.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So how does OSHA work in Denver?

Jun 25, 2020, 10:36 AM [ in reply to So how does OSHA work in Denver? ]

I actually live in Colorado. My current home is in Georgetown, about 45 mins west of Denver in the heart of the Rockies. Denver is famously at 5280', where I live is 8519' and I used to be in Keystone at 9280'.

So basically, for people living in Denver and other high altitude areas long term, your body slowly acclimates and adjusts its processes to account for the lower oxygen. Typically that results in weight loss in the long term, and altitude sickness in the short term. I had really, really bad altitude sickness when I first moved to Keystone in Feb 2019. It took me about a month for the headaches and shortness of breath to go away. It really wasn't until football season and I started running while football refereeing here at a lot of the high-altitude schools (Lake County HS in Leadville, CO is above 10,000') that I was fully acclimated and see no effects. My blood oxygen levels have stabilized after living up here for a year and a half.

So I imagine OSHA takes that into account up here. We've had a mandatory mask law since April/May and Colorado is one of only two states west of the Great Plains that's actually decreasing in cases. We're surrounded by states that are currently spiking - AZ, UT, WY, KS, NE, OK, TX. Only New Mexico is currently decreasing and they have similar restrictions in place. It hasn't really affected me or my life much other than when I had to do a strength test for my shoulder in my last post-op PT session. But even then, the exercise I'll be doing in the future will be either outside or in my own home for the time being, so I won't need a mask then.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 11:53 AM

this is why you're supposed to keep a crop of coca leaves going in the back yard, generally blended in with other herbs: "Well, we thought you had coca growing back there, but it turns out it's just marijuana, so all good" because it's Colorado, after all! :)

Jun 25, 2020, 12:36 PM

In legal purchase states, I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to grow a certain number of plants for your own personal use....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Amazing how nurses and especially surgeons doing brain

Jun 24, 2020, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Amazing how nurses and especially surgeons doing brain ]

You might want to check your science because it is wrong. The composition does not change with altitude. The amount of air changes. It is still 21% oxygen at all of the places you mention.

I did.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:44 AM

https://www.wildsafe.org/resources/outdoor-safety-101/altitude-safety-101/high-altitude-oxygen-levels/

Re: I did.

Jun 25, 2020, 1:11 AM

Since the first sentence says exactly what I said, does that mean that reading comprehension is a problem?

Jun 25, 2020, 1:47 AM

Sorry. I happened to think that response was a little rude and I do not know your background. I only read the first few lines but I have a good guess at what it is saying. Air, a gas, will dissolve better as pressure increases with a liquid, blood in this case. The responsiveness of hemoglobin binding to oxygen is also affected by pressure. It would be a good guess that the article is saying that the effects of altitude on oxygen exchange create the same blood oxygen levels as breathing air with the same percentages at sea level. OSHA guidelines are specifically looking at composition. They are not delving deeper into human physiology.

Jun 25, 2020, 4:52 AM

Henry's Law. The amount of a gas dissolved into a liquid is proportional to the partial pressure of that gas above the liquid. In this case the percentages of O2 are the same, but the partial pressure is dropping with altitude. I live at 7000 ft MSL, so I have 0.8 atmospheres here. More hemoglobin is a help. In the case of wearing a mask, a N95 is certainly much more restrictive than the typical masks that I wear, so the effect on oxygenation is much less. I'm wearing a mask indoors here at 0.8 atmospheres and have not noticed any ill effects. But that is anecdotal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2020, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

I put a mask on when I go into a store and take it off when I come out. No big deal.

Jun 25, 2020, 5:03 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

I did this same test with it on my finger and my oxygen levels stayed the same.

Jun 25, 2020, 7:16 AM

It takes time for the numbers to change on your finger because that blood is already oxygenated. It’s not instantaneous like breath is.

Jun 26, 2020, 4:41 AM

I kept it on for two hours until I checked it

Jun 25, 2020, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Come on, this kind of ignorance and incompetence is what got us in this mess in the first place. It’s not an enclosed space you’re measuring. When you breathe you are drawing fresh air through the mask and into your lungs. These masks have been used safely for decades in many occupational environments. Please don’t spread misinformation. If the mask doesn’t work for you then perhaps you should stay outdoors, or at home.

Jun 24, 2020, 8:55 PM

I'm all in on the mask wearing. Heck, when you're as ugly as I am, every little bit helps!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

T-Total F'ing BS.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:15 PM

It ain't if, it is when. You cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

If you feel you are at risk, stay your ### home.

Let's get ready for football!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: T-Total F'ing BS.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:34 PM

http://www.hideoutnow.com/2020/06/guys-these-people-are-insane-picture.html

Well THAT is pretty stupid

Jun 25, 2020, 12:43 AM

No only stupid

Jun 25, 2020, 6:00 AM

but showing his/her bigotry.

I am sorry but I lived in Jordan and know many many Muslims who wear hijabs and who are very fine people. Saddening to see there are people with your attitude in this world.

Get out of your bubble Bangle, you'd be better for it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: T-Total F'ing BS. ]

So Skiing is a gateway to Islam? Get out of here with that racist nonsense. Go join your fellow cletuses that waved their flags during the football players' march.

C'mon Billy.. You're better than that...

Jun 25, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: T-Total F'ing BS. ]

At least I hoped you were better than that...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: T-Total F'ing BS. ]

I don’t see the inconvenience in wearing a virtually weightless face covering for 10 minutes while you go in a store, especially if it can save lives. People arguing otherwise are the ones that deserve to get it

362,219 total tests in SC

Jun 24, 2020, 9:23 PM

and 324,213 negative tests as of June 24 at 2:00 PM per SCDHEC.

Those numbers don't seem to show up in news.

Confirmed cases and deaths are the attention grabbers.

Carry on-

they are giving total positives and %positives, so yeah,

Jun 25, 2020, 7:45 AM

they are giving you the information.

My point is there are very few mentions of total tests

Jun 25, 2020, 11:30 AM

administered or total negative cases in news articles. Hospitalization rates are rarely mentioned either. The information is out there, but you have to look for it.

A positive case can be symptomatic or asymptomatic.

For the record, I've tested negative for both COVID-19 and COVID-19 antibodies.

Fair enough. I'm one that looks into all the numbers

Jun 25, 2020, 9:30 PM

just because I'm a data freak. and ftr, I think the data is screwed up. but it is what it is, so I try to look at ALL of it.

I also have a friend that works for GVL hospital. worked recovery room, but had ICU expereince, so she got pulled there for the first several weeks. She's back in the recovery room (or was 2 weeks ago), but was expecting to be pulled back to the ICU based on the number of cases they were starting to see.

I haven't been tested. My highest risk is my kid in daycare...and that's a whole other conundrum.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:27 PM

This ordinance only applies only within the City Limits of Clemson. Clemson University IS NOT LOCATED in the City of Clemson. I believe it is a separate municipality chartered by the state of South Carolina.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:44 AM

As it was explained to me by Clemson campus cops that frequented us at Jimmy Johns, Clemson and other public universities are essentially the same in terms of jurisdiction as a state park or the capitol in Columbia.

Campuses are land owned by the state, and as such that's why "Clemson University" actually has land in Oconee and Anderson Counties alongside the main part of campus in Pickens County. Clemson University cops are deputized by the State, so they can make arrests outside campus if they see an obvious crime.

The Clemson City cops have a very specific jurisdiction only within city limits. I learned this living at Daniel Square, where all we had to do was walk out of the complex and we were "on campus" and thus the City cops couldn't really do much. There's a lot in the area that have "Clemson" as a mailing address but aren't within city limits, so these rules do not apply to them.

Jun 24, 2020, 9:28 PM

If governors or Trump would have made masks mandatory early on, maybe thousands of lives would have been saved and hundreds of thousands of cases would have never happened. Perfect example is Japan has twice as many people as the United Kingdom and Japan has far fewer cases that the UK has had deaths. Leaders that don't listen don't lead.

Initially we were told masks were ineffective.***

Jun 24, 2020, 9:54 PM

Initially we were lied to.

Jun 24, 2020, 10:56 PM

That advice started in 2009 with the swine flu. It's been that way for years knowing something like this was inevitable. The thinking was medical workers would run out of ppe like we ran out of tp. Think about it. If masks only help prevent those sick from spreading it, then why do healthy doctors wear them while treating sick patients not wearing them? And why is it so important that healthy doctors and nurses have them to protect themselves yet the sick people they're treating don't wear them?

When my doctor walked in wearing a mask when I had the swine flu and I wasn't even asked to wear one he explained just this. It's going to prove a very deadly lie and a bad decision. I trust my doctor and he's been proven right and for the exact reason he gave me 11 years ago.

Re: Initially we were told masks were ineffective.***

Jun 25, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Initially we were told masks were ineffective.*** ]

That was an intentional lie to prevent a run on masks, N95's, respirators, etc.

They realized that healthcare professionals needed them the most early on and as such, discouraged citizens from using them for themselves. Now, most people have just made their own or used ski masks here in Colorado, where the rule has been in place since May 1.

Jun 24, 2020, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Masks only prevent large water molecules from being exhaled and ultimately drying and becoming aerosoled. Masks only are going to slow the progression of the disease. Japan death rate is lower due in part to the life style of the Japanese. Corona virus attaches to ace receptors the most efficient. Where are ace receptors? Adapose (fat). What country has an epidemic of obesity? That still the IFR under 70 is .05%, protect the at risk and let's get on with life. Cases are going up but are the hospitals overrun and the death rate exploding? Not yet and lets continue to pray. And finally a CNN article quoting from an article published in the Lancet showed 3 ft of social distancing was more effective than wearing a mask at stopping transmission.

Jun 25, 2020, 5:41 AM

Masks and 3 ft distancing. Do both.

Jun 25, 2020, 7:04 AM

Why? Anecdotal evidence and to make people feel good?

Jun 25, 2020, 7:51 AM

That’s enough for me. Any time I can do something (within reason, which this certainly is) that helps someone else feel good or be happy I’m all in for it!

Jun 25, 2020, 7:53 AM

Ok, and I didn't say not to wear a mask. What I'm saying is the government shouldn't be allowed to punitively go after someone for choosing not to wear a mask when there is no concrete evidence to support the efficacy of wearing said mask.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:19 AM

This is where we have gotten to. So let me get this straight. It is such an emergency in North Carolina that everyone will be required to wear a mask. But I guess the emergency only starts tomorrow at 5 o’clock. That is when it goes into effect. Did I get that correct.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Yea. That’s were it gets sticky. My personal feeling is the evidence is strong enough even if it is anecdotal that it falls into much the same area as secondhand smoke, but that’s just my opinion and I’m not big on forcing my opinions on others or vice versa.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:26 AM

So I’ll wear a mask and when I see someone who elects not to I will just keep my distance as much as possible. No judgement.

Jun 25, 2020, 9:29 AM

Exactly and the hypocrisy, esp with gov Roy in nc out protesting without a mask and then mandating the whole state wear one. If the mandate comes here will be my mask.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

There is concrete evidence, and that's Colorado. Colorado and New Mexico were the only states in the Mountain West to pass mask laws, and lo and behold, we're both decreasing in cases/deaths/hospitalizations, surrounded by states that reopened too quickly and don't have mask laws.

Compare Colorado to Arizona and look at the official numbers. Colorado has a mask law, Arizona doesn't. Arizona is spiking and Colorado isn't.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:30 AM

How do you account for sao Paulo Brazil? Had mandatory mask requirement since March and they are spiking hard core. Multiple tests of same person in hospital are counted as multiple cases. There is no direct correlation between Colorado and arizona other than speculation on your part that the masks are to attribute to reduced cases.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:33 AM

Population density. Sao Paulo has 12 million people and is dense like the Chinese cities that were among the first to have major outbreaks.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:36 AM

But I thought masks prevented transmission regardless of population density or social distancing measures.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:03 PM

Masks don't prevent transmission. They help prevent transmission by keeping most of the water droplets from shooting out dozens of feet when you cough or sneeze. the goal with masks isn't to have them just prevent transmission, but instead it's to help reduce the transmission. If unmasked means every sick person who is asymptomatic infects 3 people, masks may mean only something like 1.5 people get infected by asymptomatic folks. That slows things down, and that's helpful.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:00 PM

If you're asymptomatic why would you sneeze? Also three feet of distance is more effective than a mask. If you're sneezing wear a mask.

Jun 26, 2020, 9:19 AM

Healthy people sneeze all the time. I sneeze at least a handful of times per day this time of year due to allergies.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Do you have a scientific study to show the efficacy of wearing a mask? The head of epidemiology at Stanford has a peer reviewed journal showing IFR of covid at 0.05% for those under 70. I can post link if interested

Jun 25, 2020, 12:06 PM

Just to be clear, that means it's 5 times more deadly than the flu for people under 70. Also people who get the flu and are under 70 don't typically suffer long-term vascular/organ damage, nor do they have "mild" symptoms that consist of cycling in and out of fever for two or three weeks.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:23 PM

0.05% is 5 times the flu? In what world are you living?

Jun 25, 2020, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

They arent wearing masks and they arent washing their hands enough. Youre an idiot. It makes a difference. Youre an idiot. Shut up and put your mask on, moron.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:02 PM

Oh wow that's mature, someone doesn't have any data to back up an argument and you resort to name calling. Real mature. Use your brain instead of doing whatever you are told.

Jun 26, 2020, 1:06 AM

Its not about mature or not mature. Youre an absolute blithering idiot. Just pipe down and put your mask on moron.

Jun 26, 2020, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/06/10/2009637117

Jun 25, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

Its not anecdotal, moron.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:03 PM

Do you know definition of anecdotal moron?

So I take it you're a big fan of communism?***

Jun 25, 2020, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Mandatory mask ordinance unanimously approved by Clemson ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 27, 2020, 11:14 AM

Well at least it will make them easier to look at with that mask on. The city council that is.

Replies: 78
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic