Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #95 'Frank Howard's last game in Death Valley'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #95 'Frank Howard's last game in Death Valley'

Jul 5, 2020, 9:29 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #95 'Frank Howard's last game in Death Valley'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many o Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game too. I was 10 years old, and it rained

Jul 5, 2020, 9:37 AM

the entire game. I remember my hands shriveled up so bad from the rain it was ridiculous. There was a pregnant woman sitting next to us and she would not look at them. We really did put a whooping on MD that day, but I had forgotten it was Howard's last game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aren't you glad you can say you were there now?***

Jul 5, 2020, 10:46 AM

Yep. Never missed a game back then.***

Jul 5, 2020, 10:59 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That game was ...

Jul 5, 2020, 10:01 AM

a monsoon! I was there sitting in the student section and you wanted to leave but we were beating them so bad. Incredibly my 4 years there we never had a winning season and only beat SC once. I wasn't about to leave!

Did not remember that game being Coach Howard's last game. After he stepped down from coaching and continued as AD, someone asked why he giving up football. Classic Coach he said "Illness". When asked what was wrong Howard said "The alumni were sick of me".

Great pictures and Thanks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That game was ...

Jul 5, 2020, 1:24 PM

My freshman year ... wins were AT A PREMIUM SO WE STAYED THE ENTIRE GAME. I LOVED THE SHELLACKING WE GAVE THE TERPS. AT THE TIME WE WERE UNDEFEATED AGAINST THEM.

Re: That game was ...

Jul 7, 2020, 8:37 PM

CLEMSON wasn’t undefeated against Maryland as they beat us the first four times we played in the early 1950’s. UMd won National Championship in 1953, the first year of the ACC. You must have the Terps confused with The University of Virginia.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That thumbnail pic makes it look like...

Jul 5, 2020, 10:11 AM

The Chicago Bears and New York Football Giants are playing each other.

Times sure have changed with uniforms.

~JKB

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #95 'Frank Howard's last game in Death Valley'

Jul 5, 2020, 12:03 PM

Boy, do I remember that game. Driving rain from start to finish. The mud was 6 inches deep in places. I kicked 3 field goals in that game, which at the time was the Clemson School record and tied the ACC record. The last one was a piece of art, for sure. The ball was so wet and heavy that the leather was gooey and mushy. When my toe hit the ball it just slid up my shoe and almost came off my foot like a punt, spiraling up high and flopping like a dead goose right behind the uprights. That was before soccer style kicking which is much easier in bad weather than jamming your toe into a slick, cold object which feels like a medicine ball. Those soccer kickers, which began the next year with Eddie Seigler, completely rewrote the Clemson record book in short order. But for a few minutes, after that torrential downpour vs Maryland in 69' I managed to hold a Clemson and an ACC record.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #95 'Frank Howard's last game in Death Valley'

Jul 5, 2020, 1:13 PM

Loved those jerseys. Used to own one from a surplus sale. Heavy cotton made by Russel

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2020, 1:52 PM

Hey. I had one of those jerseys also number 96. Got it from Harris Sporting Goods in Seneca. They bought a ton of them and were selling them for about
2 to 5 dollars each. Probly still around somewhere as I am a pack rat.
Was at that game and stood in quagmire on the hill. Love that shade of orange

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2020, 3:46 PM

I was there and it was my sophomore year. I recall it as a great win. But it did rain. Fortunately, we all took umbrellas to the stadium on rainy days back then!

The attendance number is compelling to me. 22,000 for a home game at Clemson? Seems crazy.

The University of Michigan had an average attendance of 71,000 in 1969. The difference in attendance at Clemson versus the big schools back then was incredible.

And yet, Little Ole Clemson won a Natty only 12 years after that Maryland game and has since won 2 more. For those of us who were there for Frank Howard's last game, the changes in the stature of Clemson football over our lifetimes is absolutely unbelievable.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2020, 5:01 PM

I was a grad student. We got season tickets half price. My wife didn't go. I tried to sell her ticket for a dollar. Couldn't give it away. It was my last year. I knew it was Howard's last game too. In Feb I entered Army for 27 years. Still IPTAY member. Still season ticket holder. Live in Florida, and seldom get a game. Either sell or give my tickets to children, both Clemson grads.

Jul 5, 2020, 5:06 PM

1969...my senior year. I was there with my new bride! Great times.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2020, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #95 'Frank Howard's last game in Death Valley' ]

1969...my senior year. I was there with my new bride! Great times.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2020, 6:33 PM

It was my freshman year... I would not have been any wetter if i had jumped into the lake... I notice Charlie Waters looking like a drowned rat...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2020, 9:34 PM

Graduated in 66 in 69 was on my way back from Vietnam and the far east, so missed that game.
Tigers seem to do well in rainy weather. Coach Howard and his humor were always entertaining.

Jul 6, 2020, 7:56 AM

Last td (I believe) was a 1 yard (yes one yard) pass to Oscar Carter Dillon county boy.

Jul 6, 2020, 9:11 AM

I was there at 9 years old. Portal H row MM seats 9 and 11. My dad would not leave, ever, before the clock ran out.

Jul 6, 2020, 11:06 AM

I took a date tO that game and we stayed until the end. By the end of the game there were fewer fans in the valley than I can ever remember, but it was a fabulous win for Frank after the SEC beat downs we endured that season. The girl with me in the stands that day will be my wife of 50 years on January 2021

Jul 6, 2020, 9:14 PM

So, with that being a monsoon...did it only rain on Maryland that day like it did on Notre Dame...?

And did they cry about it like little girls...?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 8:00 AM

Actually, the rain at the ND game was just a slight drizzle compared to the MD game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2020, 2:41 AM

Howard's last year was also the only time he beat GT and the Tigers first win since the 1936 season. Was in Berlin for the 68, 69 and 70 seasons. Mid shifts would get the football scores by teletype. Well remember working one Sunday morning mid 10-5-69 and being shocked when I saw the 21 - 10 GT score on our machine. Based on that, thought the Tigers might be primed for a very good season. Prior to that time, the only GT game I attended was the 13 - 12 loss in 1966. Seem to recall the Tigers were favored to win, but could be mistaken. If memory is correct, Lenny Snow scored the only TD for GT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jul 7, 2020, 8:30 PM

Bad memory i do believe........Lenny Snow didn’t play for Ga Tech in 1969. He graduated in 1967.

I was probably there.my father was an IPTAY member

Jul 8, 2020, 2:27 PM

And we went to all home games.Who was the QB and other key players?

Jul 9, 2020, 4:02 PM

Must be a lot of old tigers on here today...I was there as well as a new freshman. I never left early either...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic