Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s'

May 28, 2020, 8:13 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Dan Cannon recently sent us several interesting Clem Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s'

May 28, 2020, 8:24 AM

Check out the season ticket price, $24.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 11:39 AM

my how times have changed and to think $24 was a lot back then for a ticket

May 28, 2020, 8:24 AM

Great pics and stories! Thanks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome pictures. Keep them coming***

May 28, 2020, 8:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

May 28, 2020, 8:44 AM

Parking was So much easier then. We parked in my front yard of our prefab across the street from the P&A building!!

Are there “Block C” people that hate the Paw on the helmet?***

May 28, 2020, 9:02 AM

Yes. They wooohoooo for spite . . . .***

May 28, 2020, 11:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Yes. They wooohoooo for spite . . . .***

May 28, 2020, 4:10 PM

I’ve always wondered...

May 28, 2020, 9:19 AM

That top photo of the team coming out of Fike Fieldhouse is relatively rare. Those were the 1959 Sugar Bowl jerseys, which were actually dark blue rather than purple. (I heard that purple dyes of that era were not colorfast.) The Tigers did not wear them often and I don't think they ever won a game in them. Herman (McGee) told me that Howard told him one time to "put those blue jerseys so far back in a closet that we'll never find them again."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 11:37 AM

yeah I always loved those jerseys in pics. I never saw them in person. Wish they would reissue them for fans to buy a knock off

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s' ]

Actually that picture is the 1962 Game against South Carolina. Think that was the first time we had worn them since the Sugar Bowl. We won that game on a field goal by Rodney Rogers. That was my freshman year.
One reason we wore White so much is that any of the cotton dyes tended to fade. By end of season our Orange jerseys were pitiful. Wasn't until polyester fabrics were improved to be able to be used as jerseys did the colors hold up over a season. And yes after a few games in those jerseys, Coach Howard told Herman to hide those things (what he called them was a little more colorful) so he never saw them again.

May 28, 2020, 12:38 PM

Yes it was the SC game of 62. This was a picture from a book jacket cover THE CAROLINA-CLEMSON GAME by Don Barton in 1967.

Does that explain why we included some navy blue in the 80s and 90s

May 29, 2020, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s' ]

or was that more to be trendy? I never understood the use of navy since that has never been a school color. I don’t recall purple being used (even in trim) until Hatfield started using it in the early 90s.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 28, 2020, 9:19 AM

Was about the same age and my Dad and I attended a couple games a year. There for that Alabama game, what a heartbreaking loss. This picture in the Sugar Blues is fantastic. To this day, it is still my favorite uniform combination. Thanks for the pictures. Not too many pictures of the “Blues” are around.....thanks again!

Deer Lowered, thank You that our uniforms look better

May 28, 2020, 9:23 AM

than that these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love that Dabo keeps our look classic...

May 28, 2020, 9:33 AM

but I support on occasion honoring Tiger teams of the past. How great would it be to see the Sugar Blue jerseys and Block C helmets? I got to Clemson in 68 and we did not have a winning season in my 4 years.

How about we look late 50s-60s but play 21st Century? Go Tigers!

May 28, 2020, 9:53 AM

Dressing room at Fike Field House, I remembered

I found the same pics on the internet. Keep them on my

May 28, 2020, 10:32 AM

phone! I love the orange shoe pics with my hero, Buddy Gore! What a memory that brings back. I really like the throwback helmet too. I wouldn't mind seeing a throwback uni like that. I guess when that's the uniform you grew up with you have really good memories about it. I was there for the orange shoe game and the Bama game where we lost by 3. 13 years old and not knowing any better, I walked onto the field before the game and no one stopped me. I got Bear Bryant's and Kenny Stabler's autograph on my program and chatted with both of them. Different times for sure! In 63 or 64, I walked into the visitor's locker room at halftime. We were playing North Carolina and one player let me try on his helmet.

May 28, 2020, 10:44 AM

I remember the Tigers wearing khaki pants in the 60’s. Does anyone remember that?

May 28, 2020, 11:55 AM

well it wasn't between 1962-1966

May 28, 2020, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s' ]

I remember the khaki pants. Actually rain pants, remember wearing them in a downpour at Ga. Tech around 63-67?

May 28, 2020, 11:22 AM

I graduated in May 1967 but I saw all the home games in the 1960's until graduation. The most memorable game was the Georgia home game of my freshman year in 1963. It was hot at the beginning of the game and we were dressed with coat and tie. Before half-time, a big storm came and it hailed and poured rain. It was so bad they stopped the game and sent both teams to the locker room. The fans went under the stands above the portals. After the storm went over I looked out at the field and it was covered with ice that looked like snow. Later the teams came back out to play the second half. I believe the game was tied at the end. Coach Howard didn't like ties. He always said,"A tie game is like kissing your sister, it's no fun."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 12:22 PM

45Tiger I remember that game

May 28, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s' ]

This was the very first Clemson game I ever attended and man what a memory! Absolutely correct! The field was pure white. My uncle had an MG that we had parked directly behind the south stands and we had left the top down. I swear to you it completely filled up with ice!

May 29, 2020, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #57 'Clemson football in 1960s' ]

45Tiger said:

I graduated in May 1967 but I saw all the home games in the 1960's until graduation. The most memorable game was the Georgia home game of my freshman year in 1963. It was hot at the beginning of the game and we were dressed with coat and tie. Before half-time, a big storm came and it hailed and poured rain. It was so bad they stopped the game and sent both teams to the locker room. The fans went under the stands above the portals. After the storm went over I looked out at the field and it was covered with ice that looked like snow. Later the teams came back out to play the second half. I believe the game was tied at the end. Coach Howard didn't like ties. He always said,"A tie game is like kissing your sister, it's no fun."

I attended that home game against Georgia in 1963 as well. The storm actually hit at halftime while the teams had already left the field and gone to the dressing rooms under the west endzone. They came out for the 2nd half to a hail covered field!!!

May 28, 2020, 12:24 PM

Swofford must have had input on that 1969 schedule. 6 away games with the last 3 BEING away...that SOB...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 12:29 PM

Great photos and memories of 60s Clemson football--keep them coming.

May 28, 2020, 12:41 PM

I was at that NC State game. The Valley went crazy when the Tigers came out in those orange shoes!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic