Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 51

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski'

Sep 23, 2020, 8:29 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski'

Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of the historic photos on our website, and we appreciate him being part of the TigerNet family. Mintaka's take Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski'

Sep 23, 2020, 9:00 AM

I remember Harry well. Coach Howard liked the big guys from Pennsylvania. If you aren’t an old Tiger you probably can’t pronounce his last name!

Sep 23, 2020, 9:31 AM

Yes, I can pronounce it. When I was becoming a Tiger fan as a youth, it was Harry O. and Buddy Gore's name I heard the most.
Hopefully both are in the Clemson HOF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 10:45 AM

I used to listen to Bill Goodrich describing Gore or Jacky Jackson running through huge holes created by Oslewski and Wayne Mass. "Woo-Hoo, turn 'em loose!" Great memories!

Sep 23, 2020, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

Harry was from Baltimore. Lived across the hall from him 1st semester of my sophomore year. He was very seldom in his room. Harry enjoyed the good like.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

I was the opposite OG from Harry for 2 years. One thing not many people know is the fact that when Harry passed away some years ago, a few of his best friends took his ashes and sprinkled them on the 50 yard line in death valley

Believe I write a sports article about “O” for The TiGER school rag.

Sep 23, 2020, 10:30 AM

Solid Lineman for sure!

Oh addyray, thx for telling about his ashes being joined in the turf at Death Valley!

Mine too, at the PAW, soon.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

May be mistaken, but seem to recall Harry O in one game picking up a Tiger fumble on the 2 or 3 yard line and taking it into the West endzone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Sep 23, 2020, 11:12 AM

I remember that as well. As I recall that TD came against the gamecocks in a game that gave the Tigers a league championship. Didn’t Addison attempt to throw the ball to Buddy Gore and Harry O caught it for a long run into the end zone? That was soooo long ago !!!

Sep 23, 2020, 12:33 PM

actually it was a fumbled snap that bounced into Harry's hands. Funny thing the same thing happened in practice that week.

Sep 23, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

Is this " Iron Mike"?

Sep 23, 2020, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

That is what I want done, but I didn't play fb

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

my memory of harry was from one night at bolton's,when he and several other fb players commandeered the bar and were handing out free drafts,until the owners called the local constabulary.at which point harry and his buds made a hasty retreat.good times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I believe Harry's last name is pronounced "O-shev-ski"....or

Sep 24, 2020, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

.... O-shef-ski.... One thing is for sure.... Ed Sullivan couldn't pronounce it when he introduced the AA team on his show....

Re: I believe Harry's last name is pronounced "O-shev-ski"....or

Sep 24, 2020, 2:19 PM

you are correct.o-shef-ski is the proper pronunciation.i speak the language.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 23, 2020, 11:11 AM

Olszewski and Cordeleone along w/Mass are the 3 I remember.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 11:14 AM

There was another Penn coal miner on that team who was a beast also but I can’t remember his name. Also was Frank Pearce also on that team?

Sep 23, 2020, 12:32 PM

Frank had already graduated. The Line was Wayne Bell, Larry Keys, Harry O, Wayne Mulligan, Iron Mike Facciollo, Wayne Mass & Edgar McGee. I may have the ends reversed. Remember when we played NC State in the orange shoes game. Their all American defensive end sent Buddy Gore a telegram saying he wouldn't gain a yard. At end of first quarter Byrd had grass stains all over his butt. Mass would stand him up and Harry would pull and cut his legs out. Don't think he made a tackle.

Sep 23, 2020, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

Ray Yauger maybe. Would have been
Soph in 67

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

You can add Don Chuy to that list

Sep 23, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #174 'Harry Olszewski' ]

don't forget wayne mulligan.the golfing world knows him well.

null

Sep 23, 2020, 1:23 PM

Must have been some player

Sep 23, 2020, 4:13 PM

Harry O. was the crudest person I ever knew. He would walk neked from the shower room (not uncommon for anyone at the time) and if he saw someone studying he would walk up behind him and hang his thing over the guy's shoulder. Harry's number was 69, which I assume was a statement. Happens to be my favorite number too.

2024 purple level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2020, 9:18 AM

Harry was my freshman chemistry lab partner. He and I never could complete an experiment correctly. During each lab, with about 15 minutes time left the graduate student in charge of the lab would furnish us the answers so we all could leave on time. Harry was a fun guy and a heck of an athlete. Quick as a cat with a low center of gravity. He was 5'10, 5'11 tops and weighed about 245. Would look like a midget on today's team but a great player.

Sep 24, 2020, 11:32 AM

That was still going on in Chemistry 101 lab in the early 80's too. If the Lab TA didn't give us little hints like "you need to end up with 25 grams" I wouldn't have escaped with my C.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Replies: 24
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic