Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #16 'Thumbing a ride'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #16 'Thumbing a ride'

Apr 17, 2020, 9:45 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #16 'Thumbing a ride'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no live sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many of t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #16 'Thumbing a ride'

Apr 17, 2020, 10:07 AM

My Dad class of ‘52 used to do this. He could make it all the way home to Nichols. Times sure have changed.

You could not have a car on campus until you where a senior.

wow, thats quite the hike when you're hitchhiking!***

Apr 17, 2020, 10:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Apr 17, 2020, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #16 'Thumbing a ride' ]

My dad did the same. He would catch a ride to rural Lauren's area. His senior year he bought a car the next day after it took him hours to get home in the pouring rain. He had a date with my mom. He was class of 1954. They were married for 58 years and together for 60.

Just really cool to see these. Thanks Crump!***

Apr 17, 2020, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Apr 17, 2020, 2:12 PM

My granddad graduated in 1934 and said that's how students used to get to and from Clemson. If people saw a Clemson cadet in uniform with his thumb out, they'd stop and give him a ride. The summer before going to Clemson, he said he pulled an old Model-T out of their barn that hadn't been driven in years and he got it running. He said he was one of only three students who had a car at that time.

Apr 17, 2020, 5:44 PM

That 2nd pic is my husband with 2 of his best friends heading home to Greenville for the weekend.

Apr 18, 2020, 10:45 AM

I graduated in 70. Freshmen couldn't have cars on campus in 66, although many had cars and parked off campus. My sister was at Winthrop and I hitchhiked there to spend the weekend and she set me up with dates. On one hike, I was dropped off on I85 at Anderson. Immediately, a black Cadillac passed me by, but a couple cars later picked me up. He dropped me off on the west side of Greenville where the black Caddy passed me again. Four more times I was picked up and dropped off only to have the black Caddy pass me by. I was finally taken up the exit ramp on to secondary Hwy 5. I leaned back on the guard railing thinking it'd be a long wait for a ride on that road when I heard a vehicle coming up the ramp behind me. I turned my head only to see the black Caddy easing up to the stop sign. I slowing and deliberately raised my thumb to him and he motioned for me to climb aboard. He said he couldn't believe how I kept showing up in front of him all the way down 85, and I told him he could have saved us both a lot of time if he'd just picked me up the first time in Anderson!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic