Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020

Mar 27, 2020, 10:16 AM

Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020

Things are stuck on pause or canceled for the foreseeable future in the sports world. College football and NFL fans are worried that their sports might be postp Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

change his name from Kirk Hirbstreit to Debbie Downer***

Mar 27, 2020, 10:21 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Herbstreit's psychological beatings will continue until moral improves******

Mar 28, 2020, 6:29 PM

Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020

Mar 27, 2020, 10:23 AM

Kirk usually has good insight to share, but I certainly hope he's wrong about this! For more than football!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 10:28 AM

You are so right my friend. If we're in a place that we can't hold football, then that would mean kids wouldn't be at college and most everyone would be without a job. Hospital system would be completely overrun, airlines would be non existent. And on and on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 11:21 AM

I agree that right now we can’t predict where this thing will be in September. But if you replace “football” with “NCAA sports” and consider that unemployment filings are at an all-time high, that’s pretty close to where we are right now.

Mar 27, 2020, 10:23 AM

Totally agree. The other huge issue that players and their parent's will have to think about is how many injuries happen when players are not in their best shape and unless they get back to schools to eat right, train and lift weights, they cannot be in shape. If football happens, what you may see are players like Trevor Lawrence choosing not to play in his best interest.

They can get in shap in one week. Good grief. They are 18

Mar 27, 2020, 11:06 AM

to 22 year olds.

They can get in shape in one week. Good grief. They are 18

Mar 27, 2020, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

to 22 year olds.

Mar 27, 2020, 10:25 AM

Somebody get Dabo to Washington, DC to get those folks all in!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 10:26 AM

I disagree with Kirk. Too early to throw in the towel.

Mar 27, 2020, 10:36 AM

I think Kirk is wrong about this, at least I hope so.

They are expecting things to spike in our country the week after next. That gives us almost 5 mos. to get our act together with regards to making widespread treatments available to the public. While a vaccine might be 6-18 mos. away, life-saving treatments and antibodies for the people who've been infected aren't.

At some point, the country is going to have to get back to work or we will all die of starvation. :)

I bet a plan is put in place to manage the whole thing by the fall. This isn't EBOLA, it's the Flu.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 11:02 AM

Exact same as the flu only 15 times more deadly without a vaccine. Basically the same thing.

Well his name is Reckless....***

Mar 27, 2020, 11:46 AM

Mar 27, 2020, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

So far the data points toward it being 3x as contagious and not any more deadly than the common flu.

Nothing you said is remotely factual. Which makes me wonder where you get your news from. ??

Mar 27, 2020, 2:24 PM

You're ignorant. The flu has a mortality rate of .01% The mortality rate for the Coronavirus. It depends where one lives. In Spain it has been 7%...that is 70 times more deadly than the flu. In the USA lets say it's closer to 1%. That is still 10 times more deadly.

Mar 27, 2020, 3:20 PM

I think your math is off. Would that be 700 and 100 times more deadly?

Though, those numbers will come down. Not everyone is being tested.

Mar 27, 2020, 5:56 PM

I might have wrote it wrong. 01% is the flu compared to .14% in the US for Coronavirus. That's 14 times more deadly. Spain is .7% What is that? 70 times more deadly?

Mar 27, 2020, 6:56 PM

Mar 27, 2020, 8:30 PM

.01% x 100 = 1%. If the .01% for the regular flu this would be 100x deadlier, not 10x.

Mar 29, 2020, 2:26 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

You are really bad with percentages. You need to move the decimal one to the right. The death rate for the flu is .1%. The death rate for coronavirus worldwide is about 3.7%, 7% in Spain, and 1.6% here. But that's just because 50% of cases are asymptomatic and another 30% are very mild. So testing is behind. It's probably around 1%, making it 10 times deadlier than the flu.

Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020***

Mar 27, 2020, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

Mar 27, 2020, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

Since your math is a bit fuzzy I'm going to let your comment about me being "ignorant" slide.

I learned a long time ago not waste my time argueing with people who ignore basic facts.

I wouldn't be barking about his math after you

Mar 27, 2020, 10:02 PM

just referred to it as the flu. It's clearly a more serious respiratory disease than the flu. And there's no vaccine yet. That combination is a massive problem even if the overall death rates don't hit flu levels after a vaccine is found.

Re: I wouldn't be barking about his math after you

Mar 29, 2020, 9:50 AM

Lol.

It is actually a strain of the Flu. That is a fact. Stop spazzing out.

Do everyone a favor and stay away from your keyboard for a while.

I knew there were a bunch of societal reject types and "crazies" on TNET before this virus but I underestimated to what extent. Every angry response and unhinged fact-challenged post I see confirms my suspicion.

Mar 28, 2020, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

They don’t know the actual denominator in the equation, so stop.

Data coming out of China who has done much more extensive testing shows 60% of people diagnosed have NO symptoms. Another 20% show very minor cold symptoms.

The US, in all their intelligence, is currently requiring people to have fever and cough in order to qualify for testing at all, which eliminates up to 80% of the people that have gotten it.

How do those facts work for confidence in your math?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Mar 28, 2020, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

Hmm, I’m a doctor, and that isn’t right. It’s definitely more deadly than the flu, significantly so.

Mar 28, 2020, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

Hmm, I’m a doctor, and that isn’t right. It’s definitely more deadly than the flu, significantly so.

I could agree with him...

Mar 27, 2020, 10:37 AM

but then we'd both be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Just an Ohio State alum try to avoid another L to Clemson

Mar 27, 2020, 10:57 AM

in CFP.

Really hope he is wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 11:00 AM

PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED

If we're not able to salvage at least part of the 2020

Mar 27, 2020, 11:04 AM

season, then we'll have much bigger issues than whether some college sport will be played.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: If we're not able to salvage at least part of the 2020

Mar 27, 2020, 11:06 AM

yeah, people to taking to the streets and storming the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like skin heads and Sex Pistols' groupies ...

Mar 29, 2020, 10:32 PM

storming Royal Albert Hall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2020, 11:07 AM

I don’t think anyone will be waiting on a vaccine to get back to some new sense of normal. To me the key is the treatment of the symptoms. These meds that are helping with the symptoms are getting people off ventilators. Get off of ventilators and hospital beds open up. If most don’t have symptoms and if you do have symptoms but they can be managed with meds ,then panic goes away and we get back to work. Hope my theory is closer to reality than Kirk’s.

me too my friend

Mar 27, 2020, 11:12 AM

I don't know what this country will look like in 18 months if we don't get back to work.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:10 AM

:(

Mar 27, 2020, 11:10 AM

Funny enough my folks live next door to a Clemson BOT member he said the exact opposite of this. "No way football season would be called off at this point"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

AND heard the same thing from a coot donor

Mar 27, 2020, 11:12 AM

was attempting to give away his parking space for this season and heard the same thing.

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Mar 27, 2020, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

BOT member would have no clue. Its up to the NCAA and all of the other schools.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:17 AM

Sorry Kirk, it is much too soon for this type of a reaction. Players have the ability to workout at home to stay in shape, lifting weights, etc. If the worst of this is over in the next 3-4 weeks (as is predicted), then we go back to work some time in May, and could be "back to normal" by June-July. This allows schools to resume their summer workout programs and students to return to school in August as normal. Thus, no impact to Fall Football.

Bottom line is that right now, it is still up in the air. No need to stir up trouble now by speaking about what is going to happen or not happen in six months. I know you are bored and trying to be relevant, but let's just wait and see what really happens.

Your timeline is very similar to my thinking. Hoping correct***

Mar 27, 2020, 11:22 AM

Re: Your timeline is very similar to my thinking. Hoping correct***

Mar 27, 2020, 11:36 AM

He will be even more shocked to be living in a grass hut with a dirt floor and no electricity and running water if things are shut down that long.

Kirk has been getting Subconcious Mind Training

Mar 27, 2020, 11:42 AM

From The New York Times and CNN. He’s also been looking at the Phony Statistical Modeling from those idiots at the World Health Organization (the Ethiopian Director). He should be jailed in a Gulag!

Re: Kirk has been getting Subconcious Mind Training

Mar 27, 2020, 11:44 AM

The WHO Directored should be jailed in a Gulag — not Kirk. Needed to clarify. I’ve always liked Kirk, but I think he is severely jumping the Gun here.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

Just curious, but how could the "worst be over" in 3-4 months? The only way that happens is if we have a vaccine, or if >50% of the population has gotten COVID-19 in the next 2-3 months. Neither of which is going to happen.

Now, having increased ventilators and quicker testing will certainly help things, and I think both of those will be true in the next 4-8 weeks, but to think that suddenly that we'll be able to start interacting in close quarters with each other as if nothing happened in 3-4 months is unrealistically optimistic.

All it would take is one player on a team to get COVID in the fall and he could knock out your entire starting lineup for 2 weeks.

Maybe we'll have a viable treatment option by then?

Mar 27, 2020, 2:15 PM

Now go crawl back under your bed.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Mar 27, 2020, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

I’d be willing to bet a good sum of money that you are wrong, as well as Herbstreit. I honestly don’t know who replaced the brains of rational people with pumpkin innards but somebody successfully did so. And you can mark this post and revisit it September 1st. Not sure what day or month fall sports will resume nor if 100% of the schools in each conference elect to participate but more than half will.

we don’t know how many people already have or

Mar 27, 2020, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

Have already had it at this point.

There are a lot of people without symptoms.

I agree with Herbie

Mar 27, 2020, 11:54 AM

Not only will there be no football in 2020, we will have lost two generalization players in #9 & #16

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: I agree with Herbie

Dec 29, 2014, 11:45 AM

I'd feel horrible for ETN. No football and no 2020 signing bonus

Mar 27, 2020, 12:02 PM

If he said anything else then corona virus facists would say he values football more than old people and that he was Trumps stooge.

Mar 28, 2020, 3:30 PM

Exactly. He's just being politically correct.

Mar 27, 2020, 12:39 PM

He’s an MD, right?

Personally I think it’s more likely to be curtailed and start with games about October 1.

Comments like this are wreckless

Mar 27, 2020, 2:12 PM

Based on no facts and will only spread more fear. That is awful

Since no wrecks have been reported due to his comment ...

Mar 28, 2020, 1:50 PM

... I must agree with your statement.

But in regards to your understanding of what English words mean, I can't agree.

I swear

Mar 27, 2020, 3:37 PM

If college football doesn't come back this fall, ever single piece of copy paper in Clemson will have the F word on it. The F word.

You have one day.

Mar 27, 2020, 4:03 PM

This thing will go as quick as it came. We will have football in 2020. Kirk is living in Fear.

False expectations appearing real
Fear

This China made virus will go like it came. Sooner than most realize.

We are Americans and we fight wars with faith we will win and with God’s help overcome soon enough for football.

Copy this, I’ll stand by it.

Go Tigers win another National Championship in 2020!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 27, 2020, 4:08 PM

If we don't have a 2020 college football season that's going to be a financial disaster for many of the programs in the country. Some of them are already running a deficit even with the football revenue.

Mar 27, 2020, 4:48 PM

Not to mention the financial impact football has in the local economy of colleges.

Mar 27, 2020, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020 ]

If the situation in the us isnt stable before October, the entire economy will be non existentant. We cant afford 2 trillion per month in aid.

I dont think math is his strong suit.

Mar 27, 2020, 5:45 PM

We don't know the results of social distancing yet, but thing is expanding much too quickly. It is doubling every 3 or so days now. At that rate it will burn itself out in June. It is at 100k now in the US. In three weeks it could be over 10 million. And those are the tested/proven cases, likely 5 times that number already have it, or have had it.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:08 PM

Good, now ESPN weighs in on more crap they know nothing about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Not Buying it ... Must be an SEC Conspiracy***

Mar 28, 2020, 12:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2020, 1:10 AM

It will depend on if this is a seasonal thing like the spanish flu was. Things will clear up over the summer and kind of get back to normal and then it will hit again in the fall. If that happens then there will be NO sports in the fall either.

As much as I can't wait for College Football to be back so we can watch our Tigers win another National Championship I really don't think that the season will be played.

Work and Football are not tied to each other. We can get people back to work with social distancing and other safety protocols engineered into the workplace routine. Those things should be in place by the fall. So even if the virus comes back in the fall like most experts and medical history tells us other coronavirus type things tend to do as they are seasonal, then work can continue better then it has at this point of the outbreak but there will be no sports, concerts, athletic events with large gatherings.

That's not fear mongering it is the reality of the situation. Either way everyone stay safe and healthy.

I have seen some basis for not having the 2020 football

Mar 28, 2020, 5:36 AM

Season would be because although the season essentially starts at the end of summer, it would trickle into the flu (Covid-19) season. If there is no vaccine and this is seasonal, the same densely populated areas may see another strain. Kirk had a hot take for discussion, but it’s a total unknown at this point so everyone is speculating.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have seen some basis for not having the 2020 football

Mar 28, 2020, 10:04 AM

Sad day when we're arguing math instead of starting left tackles! I wouldn't get my public health information from Herbie but its obvious I think to anyone that we are at best 50:50 on playing.
All the real experts expect waves of infection so even if we do flatten down the curve, when you put folks back in contact it is likely to rise again, and again and again. Some say 2022 before its controlled. With luck maybe we get a vaccination by fall 2021. Back to the math- for those arguing about death rate, that really isn't the main point - unless its you or your family. The point is the number of seriously ill and how to care for them and the economic and social disruption we are experiencing first-hand right now.

Mar 28, 2020, 11:48 AM

Herbie has a very bad habit of speaking before he thinks. I don't think I'll put much thought into his beliefs.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: TNET: Kirk Herbstreit would be 'shocked' if football was played in 2020***

Mar 28, 2020, 7:46 PM

Mar 28, 2020, 7:50 PM

Listen.....everybody needs to get a grip. The fact remains, waaay more flu deaths each year 12 to 50K flu deaths each and every year and we have flue vaccines. But look at this way, if we’re there, nobody could have afforded to go to game anyway cuz we’ll all be standing in a soup line if we don’t let people go back to work!

Mar 29, 2020, 12:44 AM

Folks, I hate to say this but Herbstreit is probably right.

The one and only way I can conceive of them letting CF football and basketball go forward is if fans are not allowed or they reduce the crowd size severely and force people to sit only so close to each other (which may be impossible). That may be moot because who knows if a team of 100 FB players practicing in close proximity will be allowed.

Most of you here are still doing what we've all done since this thing started: (1) Fail to realize the "line" keeps moving and (2) stay behind the curve of reality.

My wild guess is within 2-3 weeks, 90% of people here will agree no football season happens because it will be so obvious.

The worst is yet to come. It's gonna get very ugly in our country in several hot spots. So many want to stick their head in the sand, continue to say this is no worse than the flu, believe some magic potion drug can "cure" 95% of COVID-19 symptoms and things aren't so bad after all.

Some of us are just programmed to deny what we don't want to believe. Our filters do that to us.

Let's live in reality.

Mar 29, 2020, 6:55 PM

Here's hoping that he is as WRONG as he was about Bama beating Clemson for the 2018 CFB title! I hope he has the shock of his life!

P.S. I don't care about percentages - every person is different, with different immune systems! JMHO

There's a lot more going on than the Coronavirus ...

Apr 2, 2020, 2:51 PM

... and all of it will be revealed in due course. God is working here...

Aside from that, the Coronavirus has been around forever, just like the flu. It is contagious like the flu, but the respiratory symptoms are more severe. This strain is a little different, but each virus mutates, so that's not unusual.

The Coronavirus lives in a certain temperature range. Raise the temperature in your body, and it *likely* will kill the virus. That's why the Malaria drug is working ... for malaria, it kills the parasite through inflamation, which raises the body temperature. That's why hydroxychloroquine is working on the Coronavirus, not because there's a parasite like Malaria, but because it's raising the body temperature enough to kill the virus.

I've seen a video that states that you could also get in a steam room for 10 or 15 minutes, wait an hour, and do it just once again, and it likely will kill the virus. Caveat emptor! Buyer beware!!

** DISCLAIMER: THIS IS INFORMATION ONLY!! CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING THIS!!! I HAVE A VERY CREDIBLE SOURCE, BUT I'M NOT A DOCTOR AND I ASSUME NO LIABILITY.

As for football, I think we will play the 2020 season.

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic