Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments

Oct 7, 2018, 9:44 AM

ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments

The Clemson football team showed off a powerful running game in their 63-3 win over Wake Forest on Saturday night. ESPN analyst Desmond Howard said the Clemson Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DesPUNK Howard USA blowhard.

Oct 7, 2018, 9:49 AM

Just a fool. (tool)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments

Oct 7, 2018, 9:55 AM

He’s not wrong. He’s a Tool, but not wrong. What we need to do is clean up the freaking turn overs behind center. But the the O line needs to impose their will on opponents. We obviously did better yesterday, but wake had a lot of issues in tackling and position. I know it’s hard to find fault in the greatest margin of victory in ACC history. But we need negativity from media, it fuels the us against them mentality. We need that back.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 10:01 AM

Yep, appreciate the motivating words, DH. See you down the road....

Oct 7, 2018, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments ]

Agreed. Oregon rushed for 300/game under Kelly and was the definition of finesse. He’s right, it’s a style, not a statistic. Stop trying to make this a thing, TNet. You’re making us look whiny. No one thinks our OL are maulers. We’re definitely more finesse than power.

Oct 7, 2018, 10:33 AM

This.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments ]

The problem is that "finesse" was only one snippit of him pretty much trashing Clemson. I would say that we are a pretty good balance of power and finesse. I don't remember Wisconsin, the epitome of power, ever doing anything great. Howard's arguments are not consistent. Starting Tua was a marvelous decision, but us starting the better passer will blow up in our face. We are going to lose at least one game because we are a finesse team, but Oklahoma, who is much more of a finesse team than us was his #2. It is natural to be defensive, not whiny, to disparaging remarks particularly when they are not consistent or entirely accurate.

Oct 7, 2018, 12:13 PM

THIS!

I took more umbrage to his comment about that our QB decision will blow up in our face. He said it like we made a major mistake by simply naming the QB who was performing better to start one game. He is always pushing his Michigan Wolverines. He shows his bias and ignorance constantly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 3:09 PM

Glad his vote doesn’t count!!! Just a mouthpiece for the SEC...

Oct 7, 2018, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments ]

Exactly right. Wake also has half the defensive lineup out with injuries. Our OLine was blocking linebackers who had never played linebacker, etc. Go listen to the Wake post-game. Like you I’m taking yesterday with cautious optimism. NC State will come in with real D-1 lineman and backers. They will do everything to stuff the run and make TL beat them over the top with pressure in his face. I think he will do just that.

We will always get the “finesse” label because- 1) we throw it all over the yard. 2) we’re a shotgun team. 3) our lineman don’t put their hands in the dirt. 4) our OLine primarily zone blocks, 5) we don’t play a fullback, and 6) don’t play classic pro-style play action, etc. Bowden teams had a reputation that if you knock us in the mouth we’d wilt, and the rep was accurate. We’ve overcome that. I don’t care now what they call us as long as they realize we’re winners.

I agree we play much better with the ‘us vs them’ chip on our shoulder. I hope commentators diss us every week.

Oct 8, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN analyst responds to Jeff Scott's criticism on "finesse" comments ]

exactly....this is just locker room material for us, just like dropping a couple of spots in the poles. i thought elliot's response was more appropriate, especially since WF defense is riddled with injuries....move on to the next game and win it, repeat.

Go #### yourself with a cactus, Howard

Oct 7, 2018, 10:07 AM

Hater.

So when he calls out our offense it's him doing his job.

Oct 7, 2018, 10:25 AM

When our OC calls him out it's because he had a rough week? How about having some accountability for your actions and words. If you can't take criticism, then don't dish it out.

Oct 7, 2018, 10:27 AM

Why do Clemson fans gets so offended over what people say? Who cares, as long as we win out we will be fine.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 5:04 PM

I listen to what Saban says because he has earned that right. When he says "please criticize us" , I hear, cautionary tale for all good teams to not think they a guaranteed wins based on talent. When he says "our defense should not have let Arkansas score that many points" I hear our defense does not stack up to Clemson or even Michigan. The season will take care of itself because the games have to be played one at a time. Do not be the team to get upset because you were complacent. It has happened to us and Bama before. Clemson has it's mind in the right place, "right now".
Everyone knew Alabama was the correct choice when they got in the CFP last year. I wish they would have given us OSU but they made the correct choice. I guarantee if we keep our team mind where it needs to be, our defense can beat any offense including Alabama. But is a team sport. Our offense is making huge strides in the run and pass game. Earlier this year I would have trepidation going into a game against Georgia or Bama or OSU. Now we are where we need to be and gaining momentum which we will need because teams will get better and some will get worse. That momentum is what college football is all about. Our 31-0 win against OSU a few years ago probably would have had a different outcome if it was the 4th game of the season. We are in a good place. GO TIGERS!!!!!

He votes Notee Dame in and us out

Oct 7, 2018, 10:29 AM

He better appreciate that just his Twitter/Instagram/SocMediaBS blows up.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Oct 7, 2018, 10:33 AM

DesHow has never been a coach and I question his real knowledge of smash mouth style football. His condescending statement to an assistant coach is immature. Better stick to the ######. Time will tell the real style, but for now it's winning. That's what counts.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 10:41 AM

Did he ever play football? Seriously? Never heard of him.

Desmond, you are entitled to your...

Oct 7, 2018, 10:42 AM

wrong opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't mind his opinion

Oct 7, 2018, 10:58 AM

However, I thought his smirk comment about Scott having a "bad week" was classless. I'm just going to hope he doesn't know what Scott is doing today... otherwise my opinion of Howard just took a nosedive from neutral to very poor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't mind his opinion

Oct 7, 2018, 12:10 PM

Agreed. He’s paid to analyze, critique, and say things for ratings, but it was not cool or mature to say what he said to Coach Scott about having a bad week following Fuller’s passing.

Oct 7, 2018, 3:02 PM

Desmond needs to go back & check what happens just about every time a school from the little “10” plays in a meaningful game outside their conference they seem to get run off the field IE Clemson v The ohio state suckeyes, FSU v michigan or any other Southern Football Power they’be ran across the last 15 yrs or so. Your conference is a joke as well as the network you work on. I used to try and watch every College Football Live broadcast there is now I can’t stomach to watch more than 5 minutes of their BIAS for the sec & the little 10 should we play the suckeyes & I hope we do CLEMSON 35 suckeyes 17

So!

Oct 7, 2018, 8:43 PM

You think they actually will score this time? That might be a pipe dream. We might just be even better now than we were the last time we played them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't mind his opinion ]

I used to think more of him. Now I see the smarm rise to the surface.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At first he just exposed himself as talking a lot more than

Oct 7, 2018, 11:02 AM

he knows. He doesn't do his homework. He is more like a Hot Take "debate" style talking head.

But now he looks like a b*tch. At first Dabo seemed to nail it on the head with the whole "creating narrative" comment. But now it looks like Desmond has attached his pride to being stupid.

I've never disliked any of the Gameday crew before but Desmond exposed himself a little bit here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s been terrible on the show this year

Oct 7, 2018, 12:01 PM

Very unenthusiastic and has made a lot of snap back comments to the other guys opinions and picks. Him and pollock got into a pretty heated argument on air a couple weeks ago because Howard was being so ridiculous about something. Not sure what kind of issue he’s having. Maybe he gets replaced after this year.

Re: He’s been terrible on the show this year

Oct 7, 2018, 8:48 PM

Maybe he jumps up and attacks Pollock, in which case he will be crippled or dead next year. Pollock was a great DL at ugay. I believe a neck injury interrupted his pro career, but he was a real beast in college. Maybe Howard really is that stupid, though. He kind of exposed himself with his follow up tweet.

Oct 7, 2018, 11:03 AM

Motivation...thanks DH

Our coaches classily told him what he was....

Oct 7, 2018, 11:31 AM

a Tool. I doubt he got it.

Oct 7, 2018, 11:33 AM

Desmond Howard is an expert in finesse football. His whole career was based on this "style" of football. He hates on everyone not called Meeechigan. Won the Heisman but spent the majority of his NFL time returning punts and kickoffs while also serving as a backup WR.

http://www.nfl.com/player/desmondhoward/2501249/careerstats

Oct 7, 2018, 11:37 AM

There's a reason Coach Scott is working Saturday evening leading a football team's offense...and Desdumb is home in his pajamas.
The reason is knowledge of the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly quit giving him attention

Oct 7, 2018, 11:52 AM

Re: Honestly quit giving him attention

Oct 7, 2018, 8:51 PM

Please don't deny us the fun of beating up on a mental midget. After all, he did bring it on himself.

Oct 7, 2018, 11:54 AM

Desmond has given us what Nick Saban has asked the Media for.
Thank you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 1:53 PM

Can you imagine Saban's comeback if Mushmouf got on the wrong side of him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's watching on the clemsonsportstalk website

Oct 7, 2018, 12:06 PM

Interesting that he's watching from there.

This is why you NEVER respond to these guys

Oct 7, 2018, 12:11 PM

It's one thing to respond to another coach or player comment, or whatever. But leave the sports media alone. That big smile he gave at the end was because he knows he's building job security. All they want to do is start a controversy so people click on his response. People flock to his Twitter account.

He doesn't care if he's wrong or right. It's all over his Twitter feed and that's all that matters. He's in the media. He started a controversy. Coach Scott bit. He wins. Again, it's not about him being right or wrong. So there's no need to respond.

Just coach and win games. Ignore the sports media.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is why you NEVER respond to these guys

Oct 7, 2018, 12:45 PM

Desmond is a B- level broadcaster at best. Probably more like a C. We all know he isn’t one of the main guys who knows his business.

Why did we feel a need to respond in the first place? Who...

Oct 7, 2018, 1:28 PM

really cares what he thinks?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did we feel a need to respond in the first place? Who...

Oct 7, 2018, 3:17 PM

Agree 100%. I don't care what Desmond Howard thinks. Why waste energy responding to him?

"Finesse is a style" that in football is defined

Oct 7, 2018, 1:34 PM

in football by statistics-you idiot. Bama is averaging about 350/game in passing. Does that make them a finesse team? Why do I bother as your purpose was to incite-especially with that little sh__eating grin? You'd make a good commentator for "curling"

Message was edited by: Watcher®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 1:39 PM

Why would he keep up with game bc all he needs to know is the final scores, and the short highlights of the games. That is when he adds his own personal opinion from glimpses of the game, completely taking away the way the games were really played. In today's society, I think that it's called or equals a Hacks version of the truth!!!

Oct 7, 2018, 2:24 PM

He’s a sorry excuse for a professional, he’s a jerk Clemson hater.

Oct 7, 2018, 3:59 PM

He is as good at analyzing football as he was playing it! Ten years in the nfl and he scored 7 TDS. ETN will have twice that amount before the regular season is over

Howard is still mad about the K.B. situation

Oct 7, 2018, 7:08 PM

because he thought it was a racial thing.

He has a history of this kind of nonsense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howard is still mad about the K.B. situation

Oct 7, 2018, 8:58 PM

Him having a job, probably, is a racial quota thing, as well. He certainly doesn't add significantly to the program, other than he has a nice smile.

Re: Howard is still mad about the K.B. situation

Oct 8, 2018, 1:02 PM

I knew race would be brought up. Why is Jeff Scott listening to a commentator?

Kirk Herstriebt used to call us the most disappointing team in the country year in and year out. Now a few years of winning, he loves us and we love him. Why? WHo cares? Lets focus on us and block out the noise. I think it is stupid to keep creating distractions.

I imagine Desmond will point out strength of schedule and clown on the ACC every chance he gets now. Thanks Jeff!!

Oct 13, 2018, 10:36 PM

Desmond slow your Roll....Personally I like when we Finesse a win.....We don't have to be Smash Mouth........Guaranteed you know we been there....Stop Hating!!!!

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic