Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach

Jun 26, 2018, 8:42 AM

Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach

The College Football season is about to get cranked up in a few months as Clemson will host Furman on September 1. Clemson's Dabo Swinney and his team will hope Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One day, they will finally realize Dabo > Urban***

Jun 26, 2018, 8:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What has Urban done?

Jun 26, 2018, 8:50 AM

I mean he has NEVER beat Dabo. I can not argue about Saban, nobody can, but Urban is lucky to win his conference. I by no means am saying he is a bad coach, but NOT number two!

O31O***

Jun 26, 2018, 8:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What has Urban done?

Jun 26, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to What has Urban done? ]

Urban turned around a talented; but, non functional Bowling Green team. They played no one of consequence the first year he was there. He instituted a spread offense, surprised Missouri and won several games. He then went to Utah, was blessed with an incredible quarterback and running back hold over from the previous coach. He won with them and left after only two years. He went to talent rich Florida and recruited Tim Tebow and a cast of highly gifted athletes. He continued the spread offense and was very successful in the SEC which had never seen the spread. He had some type of breakdown (head and chest pains and weight loss) and left coaching for a year. He returned to Ohio State after they were placed on probation and again, fell into a talent loaded state with no real competition for its players. Compare this to Dabo who inherited a program from Coach Bowden who left mid season withy recruiting in shambles. Dabo convinced players from all over the country to come to Clemson and play. Boyd and Spiller believed in him and came. I assert it is much harder to recruit for Clemson, a relatively small school in a small state than for Florida or Ohio State, both of which are huge schools in huge states. BTW, ask Urban how much he liked the Orange or Fiesta bowls against Clemson.

Re: What has Urban done?

Jun 26, 2018, 1:02 PM

He also introduced a culture that incorporated involvement from everyone--BoD to Faculty to Fans...

What he's done is nothing short of impossible, but for someone like him.

There’s only 1 reason Urban got Tebow.

Jun 26, 2018, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: What has Urban done? ]

We took Willy Korn and stopped recruiting Tebow. IMO, Tebow would’ve been a Tiger if we went with him instead. Tebow was on record about his religious beliefs fitting in perfectly at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

3 NCs***

Jun 26, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to What has Urban done? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo > Urban, but from what I am hearing...

Jun 26, 2018, 8:51 AM

Muschump > Dabo.

Hopefully we will let this play out on the field this fall.

HORSECHIT!

Jun 26, 2018, 8:55 AM

Dabo is the best, I don't care who disagree and we can talk about it. Number two, don't know, don't care but until a writer admits that DABO IS THE BEST he's an idiot...and blind, yep, a blind idiot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time will tell, Dabo might just out coach them all

Jun 26, 2018, 8:58 AM

Dabo is very gifted as a coach, leader, man, common sense, very smart, honorable and the best competitor!

I believe Dabo will go down as one of the best ever and eventually they will have a Dabo award for the all around best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

unfortunately, Dabo won't out-coach Saban

Jun 26, 2018, 5:13 PM

because Dabo won't make the same compromises that Saban makes... Dabo will out-coach Meyer, but needs the time to do it...
Even if Dabo only equals Meyer with wins and championships, he will have out-coached Meyer because recruiting to Clemson is much more difficult to do than to recruit to UF or OSU... Meyer currently has the track record in his favor, including a win over Saban for a natty, but that's ok...

the race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but to the one that endures to the end... when Meyer quits this time, there won't be another opportunity to marry up unless he succeeds Saban...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

50. Will Muschamp, South Carolina***

Jun 26, 2018, 9:01 AM

Re: 50. Will Muschamp, South Carolina***

Jun 26, 2018, 9:26 AM

Urban is clearly getting the edge because of his time at Florida

If we do the same for Muschamp....

null

Re: 50. Will Muschamp, South Carolina***

Jun 26, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to 50. Will Muschamp, South Carolina*** ]

Overrated.

Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach

Jun 26, 2018, 9:21 AM

Anybody that didn't Vote Dabo as the 2nd best college FB coach in America, they have allowed their biases show through with their bright lights on. If they were to be 100% honest with them selves, it is easily possible that Dabo could be the #1 coach in the country simply bc the hyped SEC brand of Bama has helped Saban bring in numerous top 5 recruiting classes since he has been the HC at Bama. Nick Saban is a great college FB coach without any doubts, but Dabo Swinney has proven himself to be a great college FB coach in his own rights, and he has done what he has done at a smaller school with less FB tradition than Alabama Crimson Tide!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 10:53 AM

I'll cast a dissenting vote here. Meyer is 177-31 lifetime, which is pretty amazing. He's 11-3 in the post season, two of the losses coming against Dabo's Tigers. :) He won two national titles at Florida. The Gators have been See You Later since. He beat Nicky in the 2014 playoff en route to a national title, no mean feat. His teams have ended in the top five nine times and have won ten or more games eleven times. True enough that he has inherited strong teams in Florida and Ohio, but both jobs come with ridiculous expectations and plenty of pressure. And the competition in both leagues is pretty tough. He did pretty well in his first two assignments at Bowling Lanes and Utes (with thanks to Joe Pesci). I love Dabo and the Tigers, but don't have any problems giving the nod to Urbane at this point in time. A very good chance Dabo will surpass him soon enough.

Jun 26, 2018, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach ]

allorangeallthetime ^^^^^ this the only one you need ^^^^^ very well said!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 10:15 AM

How the heck is Jim Hairball even in the top 20? What has he done?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 11:03 AM

Agreed- it is difficult to understand the Harbaugh love every time one of these lists comes out.

Jun 26, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach ]

To quote Edwin Starr ("War"), Hairball has done "absolutely nothing". Way overhyped, IMO.

Jun 26, 2018, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked as Top 3 CFB coach ]

Overnight sleep overs with the players and their parents?

Jun 26, 2018, 10:24 AM

are they using the Urban's past? The last five/six years Dabo has been the second best coach in college football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me pose questions...

Jun 26, 2018, 12:48 PM

Would Urban have had the same success as Dabo at Clemson? Would Urban have come from Utah to Clemson? Would Urban have chosen Florida over Clemson? Would Urban have chosen Clemson over tOSU? Has Urban stayed anywhere for ten years? Does Urban bloom where planted...or seek new beds?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uh oh, the coots aren't gonna like this

Jun 26, 2018, 12:50 PM

How can a cheerleader be the number three ranked football coach? It looks like the only crowd that doesn't consider Dabo a great coach is the rival's fan base. Go figure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just being honest here... nobody outside of Clemson homers have Dabo

Jun 26, 2018, 1:10 PM

ahead of Urban. I listen to numerous CFB podcasts and read quite a bit of CFB content and the top 3 is unanimously Saban > Meyer > Swinney and hasn't changed since Dabo won the title 2 years ago and claimed that #3 spot.

If Dabo wins a 2nd title I think you might see a real debate for the #2 spot but right now Urban's 3 titles carry a lot of weight.

Re-Rank!

Jun 26, 2018, 2:45 PM

Urban remains ahead of Dabo for one reason only: his 3 NCs. That’s all; ie, his extra years in the biz out-do Dabo’s accomplishments. To me, what you’ve done at a school “relative” to another HC at another school is the most important factor. (I’d take Patterson from TCU or Chryst from WI over a guy like Harbaugh any day...) Also, head-to-head should mean a whole bunch, especially when you beat the guy twice in games that REALLY mattered. The way the game is always evolving, I think the success of the coach over the past 6-7 years should carry way more weight than what they did 10-plus years ago.
Finally, re-rank the coaches by asking this question: WHO WOULD YOU WANT TO BE YOUR SCHOOL’S HC IF YOU COULD PICK ANYONE?

I'm guessing a decent number of people would pick Urban

Jun 26, 2018, 2:52 PM

over Dabo given the choice. Obviously we wouldn't, but our opinions are going to be quite different than people in other parts of the country. I would actually be really interested to see the results of a poll posing that question.

Great, that give Dabo some more to work for.***

Jun 26, 2018, 2:52 PM

Jun 26, 2018, 11:24 PM

Urban is ahead right now because of two things. One, he has been coaching a lot longer so he has a better overall record. Two, he currently has 3 NC to Dabo’s 1 NC. By the time Dabo has coached as many years as Urban has, I firmly believe that he will have surpassed Urban with ease. If he wins the NC this year and beats Urban again on the way, he may we’ll surpass him in these list when they come out next year.

Swoffie doesn't want to be there in that photo... Broken.***

Jun 30, 2018, 7:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic