Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last

Jun 20, 2019, 2:58 PM

Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney has won two National Championships in the last three years staking a claim as one of the elite coaches in America. Basically, he Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last

Jun 20, 2019, 3:00 PM

I'd put Dino Babers #2 in front of Cutcliff. Otherwise agree. I'm amazed nobody has offered Babers a premiere job yet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I agree with Top 3, but how it Taggert not last?!

Jun 20, 2019, 3:01 PM

He may be the worst coach in P5 football.

^ Valid question***

Jun 20, 2019, 3:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

"Hold my Beer"

Jun 20, 2019, 10:28 PM [ in reply to I agree with Top 3, but how it Taggert not last?! ]

Signed, Will Muschamp

Re: "Hold my Beer"

Jun 25, 2019, 2:52 PM

Muschamp hasn't done a bad job at SC. 7-8 wins and a mediocre bowl game IS meeting expectations in Columbia. Finishing 6-6 on the 2019 schedule would be a decent season.

He had one good season at Florida and a bunch of subpar ones. His UF teams had great defenses but no offense. Seems like he's trying the opposite approach at SC.

I would put him next to last, can't rank Diaz anywhere but

Jun 21, 2019, 10:29 AM [ in reply to I agree with Top 3, but how it Taggert not last?! ]

last, he has not coached a game. I would rank Mendenhall 3rd behind Heathcliffe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with Top 3, but how it Taggert not last?!

Jun 25, 2019, 2:17 PM [ in reply to I agree with Top 3, but how it Taggert not last?! ]

A lot of FSU's current problems are Jimbo's fault. We'll see what WT can do to turn it around.

Jun 20, 2019, 3:04 PM

I would put Willie Taggart last. He has shown me absolutely NOTHING. Diaz will be fine IMO, but needs 2-3 years to make an impact. Babers is the 2nd best IMO.

Jun 20, 2019, 3:08 PM

Well they got Dabo right - But Cutcliff #2 - did they even look at the stats - since he has been in the ACC at Duke the program is overall 67-72 BUT and I mean BUT his ACC record is 31- 57 and two years he went 1-7 in the ACC - he should be near the bottom.

Jun 20, 2019, 3:55 PM

Yeah but look at where the program was before cutcliff

Ted Roof overall 6–45, in ACC 3–33
Carl Franks overall 7–45, ACC 3–29
Fred Goldsmith overall 17–39, ACC 8–32
Barry Wilson overall 13–30–1, ACC 4–26

Cutcliffe has what, 2X more wins in 10 seasons than Duke had in the previous 18 years.

Cutcliffe is a legit #2 and has one ACC CG appearence vs 0 for Babers. I like Babers but Cutcliffe does have a stronger case.

While true

Jun 20, 2019, 11:58 PM

Dino has to beat Us and FSU to have a shot at going to the CG. The road for Cutcliffe is much easier. But Dino’s road got a little easier with the Taggert hire IMO. But he still has to get through us, so I guess the road didn’t get easier! Go Tigers!!

Jun 20, 2019, 3:20 PM

No disrespect to those that question Cutcliffe being #2, but do you really recall how bad Duke has been historically? They are Vandy bad. Kansas bad, heck, they made Wake look like 90s FSU. Those wins, that 1st round draft pick QB are all because of Cutcliffe. He is in my opinion one of the best offensive coaches in the nation. I like Babers, a lot in fact, but Cutcliffe gets OG status to win that race by a nose imo.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

curious....when you say Duke's been bad at football

Jun 20, 2019, 3:24 PM

historically.......how far back do you consider "history" goes??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: curious....when you say Duke's been bad at football

Jun 20, 2019, 3:33 PM

Good under Wade in the 30s, Solid program in the 60s, then Spurrier won ACC around 89. Since then they were bad. Really bad. Yes, Cutcliffe owns his record, but past performance under other coaches would seem to demonstrate that he has made a world of difference that others couldn't and wouldnt even attempt. Again, it's not a slight towards others, but just my opinion along with a whole lot of others in the profession of coaching.

Jun 20, 2019, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last ]

Who cares how bad DUKE was prior to Cutcliff getting there - the record Cutclif made is his and his along - now way he is ahead of others on the list, based solely on his results he belongs in the bottom 25%.

a fairly inadequate response to an honest question to the OP

Jun 20, 2019, 3:38 PM

But just for your information....the history of Duke and ACC football didn't begin with the arrival of David Cutcliffe in Durham---and,IMO, Cutcliffe has done a phenominal job with the talent level he's been able to get to matriculate

Also, just for your edification, Duke's won outright or shared 7 ACC football championships and was the dominant ACC football program in the early '60's

I sincerely wish Clemson had had the "historical" ACC basketball success that Duke has enjoyed in ACC football--even if it was years ago

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incorrect***

Jun 20, 2019, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last ]

Incorrect***

Jun 20, 2019, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last ]

Sorry Mr. TigDJ...

Jun 22, 2019, 1:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last ]

but if you don't think Cutcliffe don't belong in top 4, you are crazy. He has put mtiple QBs in the draft. He has won Bowls at Duke and taken them to multiple bowls after not going for years. Cutcliffe made them relevant in the Coastal.

Diazzio is a good coach but not sure he is HC good. I like him a lot but i think he needs to be a high paid DC. He is one of my fav ACC coaches.

Mack has to be top3, he made UNC relevant, he is a great recruiter and he won a Natty! We'll see where his energy level and investment level is but he is a good coach. Just like I think Spurrier is a great coach but he ran out of Steam but still showed Coots their glory hole yrs.

Dabo, Babers, Mack, Cutcliffe and toss up between Bronco and Fuentes but Fuentes is on the edge of spralling down if he dont make hay soon. Too many unknowns for several.

Jun 20, 2019, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney ranked No. 1 ACC head coach, Manny Diaz ranked last ]

Also, for what it is worth, FSU will seem much improved this year, via smoke and mirrors. Kendall Briles may be the best young OC in the nation. Year we played UNC in ACC title game, they got wrecked in a bowl by Baylor using a RB at QB. Briles made a game plan that worked. Then on to FIU, where all too many thought Kiffin made magic happen. Briles left last year; how did Lame do? Did pretty decent at Houston last year as well with not a lot to work with. Now, I don't know If he can make the former Wisconsin QB look decent, or what he has to work with, but I would bet they win 7 or more this year, mostly due to Briles. Kid carries the stigma attached to his name, but is a guru.

That's the party line but I'm not buying it

Jun 20, 2019, 4:02 PM

I watched that bowl game against UNC and there was no plan. They ran a wildcat QB keep every play and UNC was too dumb/unable to stop it. He's had success beating up on teams and conferences with terrible defenses. He schemed up his offense to get steamrolled by Army in the last game he coached by almost 60 points. And I find it hard to believe he didn't know hat was going on with his dad's program at Baylor so I think there's more to the stigma than just sharing a name. I don't see FSU winning more than 7-8 games this year and wouldn't be too surprised if they lose to Boise and UVA

Honestly

Jun 20, 2019, 3:40 PM

I have Swinney Number 2 behind Mack Brown.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honestly

Jun 20, 2019, 3:45 PM

Well, that is certainly one opinion, and I will leave it at that.

How can I gif this? Here:

Jun 20, 2019, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Honestly ]

Jun 20, 2019, 4:00 PM

I tried to see how far back they would go, this was 2012

8. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (4 years)
Alma Mater: Alabama (1990-92)
Record: 29-19 (2008-present)

Tommy Bowden was fired midway through the 2008 season, opening the door for Swinney to serve as Clemsonâ??s interim coach. The Tigers finished the year 4-3 and made an appearance in the Gator Bowl against Nebraska. Swinney was hired as the full-time coach after the regular season finale against South Carolina and has posted an overall record of 29-19 in his tenure. The Tigers have made two appearances in the ACC title game under Swinneyâ??s watch and won the conference crown in 2011. Swinney is regarded as an excellent recruiter and has assembled a solid coaching staff with Chad Morris as his offensive coordinator and Brent Venables leading the defense. However, the Tigers had a disappointing 6-7 record in 2010 and if Clemson struggles in 2012, the blame is going to squarely fall on Swinneyâ??s shoulders.

What Coaches By the Numbers Has to Say:

Swinney is just 13-15 against opponents that finish the season with a winning record
Swinney is 6-8 against Top 25 teams
Coach Swinney is 0-3 against arch rival South Carolina

How can Willie Taggart be rated above anyone?

Jun 20, 2019, 4:03 PM

Clearly nobody else in the ACC sucks more than Taggart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with your assessment of Taggert....and really am

Jun 20, 2019, 4:10 PM

somewhat surprised he's still in Tally considering how bad the semiholes have played the last couple of years....

Was Taggert able to recruit a couple of QB's (or get transfers) for this season?? After Francois got dismissed, I didn't think they had a viable substitute.....and who'd want to play behind that OL anyhow??...lol

Re: I agree with your assessment of Taggert....and really am

Jun 20, 2019, 5:25 PM

They got the Wisconsin qb (Hornibrook) to transfer. Not sure that'll be enough, but it's better than not having a qb I suppose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They still have Blackman don't they

Jun 20, 2019, 7:09 PM [ in reply to I agree with your assessment of Taggert....and really am ]

6'5 180 lbs

Wow they finally managed to get that kid to 180?

Jun 20, 2019, 10:32 PM

Give the F$U strength coach a freakin' raise.

Re: I agree with your assessment of Taggert....and really am

Jun 25, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to I agree with your assessment of Taggert....and really am ]

He's only been there one season. He inherited a program that went 7-6 the year before and had a LOT of problems when he got there.

As for the QB issue, IMHO, Blackman is better than Francois and he was able to redshirt last year. If Blackman can stay healthy and the line can at least try to protect him, they've still got the talent to win in Tally.

Nice fact checking

Jun 20, 2019, 4:25 PM

- Clemson won the national championship in 2016 and 2018, not 2015 & 2017
- How did Mack Brown coach at Tulane and UNC from 1988-1997?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Hey bob - I'll ask this here since no one will see it - in

Jun 20, 2019, 9:27 PM

the thread about what team do you most want payback against - is it OK if I bring up the KY game in Lexington for you ?

Where you were stump training that filly and she did that biting thing that caused the other thing to happen ?

I would THINK that NO BODY - I mean NO BODY - would have more pent up revenge against KY than you must have got to hold up against them.

It would be OK ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Great point! Siriusly that had to be the most awesome road

Jun 21, 2019, 9:19 AM

trip.

Independence Bowl was good too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You two ladies about done?

Jun 21, 2019, 10:41 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

You'll find the woman that's done yappin' riding a unicorn.***

Jun 21, 2019, 3:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhhhhhh - yes ! ! ! Minnesota & their Spartanburg QB . . .

Jun 21, 2019, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Great point! Siriusly that had to be the most awesome road ]

and the A-wholes of the I Bowl.

$40 for the entire flip book of music was a LOT of money back then . . . . $800 for a sousaphone was not QUITE enough, if I remember correctly.

Payback on Minnesota is LONG overdue, too.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

LOL

Jun 20, 2019, 4:45 PM

These "experts" are funny.

I thought Dabo can't coach.

I guess winning 2 of the last 3 national titles can change some people's minds.

LOL

Seems a bit generous to Mack Brown. I would have him at the bottom with Taggart

Jun 20, 2019, 6:40 PM

Also seems like many of the best coaches (Cutcliffe, Babers, Bronco) are at some of the worst programs.

Who have Narduzzi and Addazio ticked off...

Jun 20, 2019, 7:29 PM

Especially compared to Doeren...and Mack Brown?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well they are yankees and Athlon is a bunch of good ole

Jun 20, 2019, 10:41 PM

boys that love them some SEC

Both of those guys just scream "average"

Jun 21, 2019, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Who have Narduzzi and Addazio ticked off... ]

I would have Doeren around 6 or 7 and Narduzzi about 8.

Jun 21, 2019, 10:34 AM

I'm no fan of his, but Narduzzi got shafted here. His team won the Coastal division last year and he's in the bottom half of the league's coaches?

What coach hasn't won the coastal?

Jun 21, 2019, 11:09 AM

Since 2011:

Frank Beamer
Paul Johnson x2
David Cutcliffe
Larry Fedora
Justin Fuente
Mark Richt
Pat Narduzzi

7 coaches in 8 years. 3 of those guys have been either fired or forced out and Mark Richt just stepped down amid turmoil at Miami.

Honestly, I'm not sure winning the coastal means sh*t.

Who TF made this list??

Jun 21, 2019, 2:37 PM

I want whatever he's smoking

Addazio #13? What has Satterfield, Taggert, or Fuente done to be ranked where they are?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fuente had two good years at Memphis and 2 pretty good

Jun 21, 2019, 3:07 PM

years at VT. He did make the ACCCG his first season there and they gave us a fight in that game in Orlando. The knocks against him right now are all of the transfers that have left VT the last 2 offseasons and the 6-7 season last year.

Satterfield was 40-11 the last 4 years at App St and managed the difficult transition from FCS to FBS better than anyone could have expected. He still needs to prove he can do it in a P5 conference, but he's a very promising coaching prospect right now IMO.

Taggart is much more difficult to defend. It seems to take his programs 3-4 years to really improve, but WKU and USF were both terrible when he got there and he was only at Oregon for 1 year. Last year was pretty disastrous at FSU. My best guess on Taggart is that he's a good recruiter and program builder but can't actually coach. That would explain why his teams don't improve (and sometimes regress) in year 1 and don't really show much improvement until year 3 or 4. I don't think that's good enough at FSU unless he can hire ace coordinators and then keep them. It seems like he's trying to do that with Kendall Briles, but he's certainly risking a lot in terms of reputation and i wouldn't count on Briles sticking around long if he's successful. I think this move shows that Taggart is pretty desperate.

Addazio is 38-38 and 18-30 in the ACC during his 6 years at BC. The Eagles have won exactly 7 games in 5 of those 6 seasons. I think you know what you are getting from Addazio and it's not terribly exciting.

I would have Fuente and Satterfield both ahead of Addazio and Taggart behind him.

As a card carrying, USF season ticket holder - I will GLADLY

Jun 21, 2019, 4:46 PM

chime in that Willy Taggert is in the Top 1 or 2 . . . .

WORST P5 football coaches - in possibly FOREVER.

That guy has done the impossible as far as marketing hisself is concerned.

Unbelievable how he has parlayed AVERAGE performance at WESTERN KENTUCKY into leading the once-fabled semiholes.

Unbelievable.

Taggart has had good seasons, but it's taken his teams

Jun 21, 2019, 7:25 PM

3-4 years to get to that level in the past. 1) FSU shouldn't require that kind of rebuild so better results should be expected earlier on. 2) FSU doesn't have that kind of patience.

Taggart has 2 more years in Tallahassee (1 if things go as badly as last year), so he better start winning quickly.

Re: Taggart has had good seasons, but it's taken his teams

Jun 22, 2019, 12:58 PM

If Tags doesn't instill some discipline in those young men, they will blow more games that they should have won than they will actually win.

FSU hasn't known any discipline for awhile, but at least Tags has some. That's better than you could say about Jimbo's last 2 years.

Jun 22, 2019, 1:18 PM

Ranking ACC coaches after Dabo is tough because of their checkered résumés.

Fuentes, Satterfield, Brown (to an extent), and Taggart have yet to duplicate the results that got them their current jobs.

Cutt, Lawson and Mendenhall are overachieving at schools with weak programs. If Bronco can win the Coastal this year, i vault him up to #2.

Babers, Narduzzi and Adazzio have had good success within the ACC but are inconsistent when playing against the rest of the Power 5. But at least none of them lost at home to a G5 using a backup QB like Fuentes did last year.

And i dislike Doeren so much that i can't give him credit for anything, except he coaches for the school i hate, so at least i only have to 'get my hate on' once per year.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic