Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant: "Gotta be on the team to get a ring"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 140
| visibility 1

TNET: Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant: "Gotta be on the team to get a ring"

Aug 8, 2019, 8:42 AM

Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant: "Gotta be on the team to get a ring"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney was interviewed by ESPN Wednesday as he explained his reason for not giving former quarterback Kelly Bryant a National Champions Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant: "Gotta be on the team to get a ring"

Aug 8, 2019, 8:45 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

How is this even up for debate?***

Aug 8, 2019, 8:53 AM

bc haters are always looking for an opportunity to hate

Aug 8, 2019, 9:16 AM

theres no other reason.

Re: bc haters are always looking for an opportunity to hate

Aug 8, 2019, 3:22 PM

I’m sure somewhere in this thread said this already but had he gone to Dabo and said don’t play him unless absolutely necessary and then left after the natty, he’d received a ring.

He quit the team. As stated, no debate!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How is this even up for debate?***

Aug 8, 2019, 1:22 PM [ in reply to How is this even up for debate?*** ]

Because it’s a because white man tell a black man he can’t have something even if he didn’t earn it is a no no

Re: How is this even up for debate?***

Aug 10, 2019, 1:10 AM

Because of your statement. Those 5 Star black men should go play for HBCUs. Dumb comment you Trumpster.

Well, you got your wish...***

Aug 8, 2019, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant: "Gotta be on the team to get a ring" ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring***

Aug 8, 2019, 8:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If you quit your job in March do you expect an Xmas bonus

Aug 8, 2019, 8:51 AM

to be sent to you at the end of the year?

That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have

Aug 8, 2019, 8:57 AM

eligibility limitations on jobs like Kelly has as a football player. He complied with the rules to protect his eligibility and be able to start at QB for another year. Also, there's a dang good chance that nobody at Clemson receives a championship ring if it weren't for Kelly's efforts at TAMU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He could have stayed on the team

Aug 8, 2019, 9:09 AM

and not played, protecting another year of eligibility for this year while providing leadership to last year's Clemson Tiger football team....and received a National Championship ring.

Ed Zachary. GWPCoot is a dumbazz***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Ed Zachary. GWPCoot is a dumbazz***

Aug 8, 2019, 10:05 PM

I agree GWPCoot is a D.A.

If Dabo wasn't being overly nice to KB and kept him 1st string in fall camp & at the beginning of the season when it was clear TL was head & Shoulders better, TL would have most surely taken command by then and The Tigers would've probably won by 20. No Ring for quitters. Good riddance. Go away Gwp

Sure, tell me how that plays out in the Syracuse game***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:16 AM [ in reply to He could have stayed on the team ]

Could have given TL a neck rub after the injury.

Aug 8, 2019, 9:20 AM

HTH

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Exactly this!! ^^^

Aug 8, 2019, 11:07 AM [ in reply to He could have stayed on the team ]

He quit on the team!! He went storming off like a little baby and had a temper tantrum. This shouldn’t even be a topic for discussion. He should be grateful for his diploma. I’m astonished and bewildered at the people that think he deserves a ring.

Re: Exactly this!! ^^^

Aug 8, 2019, 11:35 PM

nkickha said:

He quit on the team!! He went storming off like a little baby and had a temper tantrum. This shouldn’t even be a topic for discussion. He should be grateful for his diploma. I’m astonished and bewildered at the people that think he deserves a ring.

Little Crybaby Punk "because he had paid his dues"..... boo hoo "Slap in the Face" yatcha yatcha yatcha....

Clemson made him relevant & look like a much better QB than he was. I remember him playing mop-up duty when he was an underclassmen and thinking he was an excellent athlete and super fast, but he couldn't pass a lick. Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech & Daniel Evans of N.C. State could Pass a Football a lot better than Bryant could. I was really shocked he ever started a game at Clemson. And please remember folks the defense went 16-2 during his tenure. Anyone with a pulse (3rd string punter playing QB perhaps) could have been a winner with the Defense Clemson had during his time here. He never did anything that wowed anyone besides break off a few nice runs & being a good athlete (1 or 2 good passes over 20 yards, one being against VA Tech in Blacksburg in 17'). He could somewhat manage the game with a vanilla stagnant offense, run time off the clock, hand the ball off and occasionally break off a nice run.

No way he deserves a Ring not even close..... Bye KB, Bye GWP. & Bye Felicia

Re: That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have

Aug 8, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

You just said it perfectly yourself, KB made it all about HIMSELF and abandoned his TEAM!!
What if Trevor had gone down at any point? Does Clemson then win the Natty without KB at QB or did KB's decision deny that opportunity to the TEAM?

No, I didn't say that at all.

Aug 8, 2019, 9:22 AM

Let's break this down into actual facts:

Clemson went 4-0 with Kelly Bryant as the starting QB then went on to win the national championship. Kelly Bryant was a big reason why we won at TAMU.

So, IMO I think he should have been given a ring.

They could have made a special ring for

Aug 8, 2019, 9:30 AM

KB...could have said “4-0” instead of “15-0”.

For better or worse, he quit. Didn’t deserve a ring because of that. He should have remained on the team...

Is GWP really this dumb or he just trolling for fun?

Aug 8, 2019, 10:28 AM [ in reply to No, I didn't say that at all. ]

Because that take is just idiotic.

yes

Aug 8, 2019, 10:12 AM

Re: No, I didn't say that at all.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to No, I didn't say that at all. ]

I agree with you about Kelly's contributions in helping us get there. But shouldn't he have been an actual member of the team at the time in order to receive a ring based on winning that specific game? Do they give championship rings in pro sports to players who are traded away, but participate in part of a season?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Actually they do often send rings to players traded away

Aug 8, 2019, 3:38 PM

However, I am not for KB getting a ring due that he made a choice to quit. Unlike a trade, he made the choice to cut all ties, the choice wasnt made for him as often the case in trades. Had he remained on the team and redshirted, then he absolutely would deserve a ring.

Re: No, I didn't say that at all.

Aug 8, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to No, I didn't say that at all. ]

Give him the game ball for Texas a&m game.

This reeks of the "participation trophy" society we live in***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:20 AM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

No, participation trophies are more akin to VT getting rings

Aug 8, 2019, 9:29 AM

for playing in the Military Bowl, which is a game they lost. Or the coots getting 6th place rings. Clemson won the national championship, thanks in large part to Kelly Bryant.

Re: No, participation trophies are more akin to VT getting rings

Aug 8, 2019, 9:56 AM

I absolutely agree with you. I just hate some of these trash fans. Just like Dabo did what was best for the "team", Kelly did what was best for his future and as the father of a high level athlete, I want my son to make decisions that are best for his future and the truth is that most of these people hating on Kelly will never have a kid playing at this level because you were probably the kid in high school standing around watching these kids actually play the game. I hope Kelly does amazing things at Mizzou....

y'all are really trippin' on this... LOL

Aug 8, 2019, 10:31 AM

athletes enter into a polyamory relationship with these football programs fully knowing that other players will be recruited to play the same position. Dabo's job is to make the decision to play the best available QB to ultimately achieve the team goal of winning championships. KB had an offer to stay with the team, sit and not play unless there was absolutely no choice but to play KB and take the redshirt year which would make him immediately eligible to play as a grad transfer. In that case, KB would be 3rd string behind TLaw and CB, but KB chose to not accept that offer (KB filed for divorce by leaving the team before the goal had been achieved). Unfortunately, there is no alimony owed now that the team has hit the lottery and won the championship, so KB is justifiably SOL...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, participation trophies are more akin to VT getting rings

Aug 8, 2019, 10:22 AM [ in reply to No, participation trophies are more akin to VT getting rings ]

Hey GWP , push your rhetoric to cootland, only a coot would be stirring the pot like this on a Clemson site, because most Clemson fans see this situation for what it was, a spoiled little butt hurt QB that didnt get his way, left our beloved Clemson Tigers, transferred to another school and stirred up #### the whole time. ONLY A COOT WOULD SIT HERE AND STIR IT UP EVEN MORE, because as a Clemson fan like myself , I say DABO IS RIGHT AND U COOTs are saying Dabo is wrong, well f u , Dabo is the coach and he did right by this team, so please excuse yourself from our Clemson site!!!!!

That's quite an emotional response you posted there

Aug 8, 2019, 10:26 AM

It makes me wonder if you see the irony in suggesting someone else was "butt hurt?"

Thank you for the offer, but nah...I think I'll hang around here a little longer.

Someone with 80k less points calling GWP a coot

Aug 8, 2019, 9:28 PM

Not sure they understand how this site works.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This reeks of the "participation trophy" society we live in***

Aug 8, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to This reeks of the "participation trophy" society we live in*** ]

100% what i was thinking! No way he deserved a ring!!! He wasn't even enrolled at Clemson when we played the last 2 games. Already enrolled at Mizzou, how do you qualify for a ring? Hell, give me a ring, I cheered for them every game last year, that had to help them win!

then you set the example to future players that the team

Aug 8, 2019, 9:21 AM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

hinges on whether or not they are on the field. The misconception is that if you're not starting you're not on the team. Practice, mentor-ship, and solidarity are all key components of being apart of the team as well. What happened is he got his feelings hurt and wanted out. I understand his point of view. I get it. But Dabo preaches finishing the job. And he would be a hypocrite to the rest of the team if he let that slide for a guy who didn't get his way. Dabo also preaches the best player plays. Something Tommy Bowden didn't preach. And you see the difference in caliber athlete we have and the results on the field.

Good point, and I don't disagree. ***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:31 AM

Nonsense. Even the guys on the practice squad help the team.

Aug 9, 2019, 10:49 PM [ in reply to then you set the example to future players that the team ]

You know who doesn't help the team get better? Guys who quit. Guys that walk out and don't show up for practice. That being said, kb actually did help the team get better by quitting. He stopped taking snaps away from one of the most talented college qb's ever.

Still doesn't deserve a ring.

Guaranteed GWP is a liberal

Aug 8, 2019, 9:46 AM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

**yep**

What makes you think that?***

Aug 8, 2019, 10:22 AM

Re: Guaranteed GWP is a liberal

Aug 8, 2019, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Guaranteed GWP is a liberal ]

Would be nice if true. Need some more intelligence within this community.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

That could EASILY be flipped around, you know. We won that game by how much? 2 points?? So, if Trevor Lawrence doesn't throw that touchdown to Tee Higgins, does Kelly Bryant's efforts alone win that game?? Sure, he contributed to the win, but to say HE "won" it, like it was all him... Shouldn't he alone have had more points than TA&M scored??

Of course not. That is why I didn't say Clemson won

Aug 8, 2019, 10:20 AM

as a result of "Kelly Bryant's efforts alone" as you put it. I also didn't say "HE 'won' it" so I'm not sure why you're implying that I did. But you do you.

Re: Of course not. That is why I didn't say Clemson won

You said he was a big reason as to why we won...well, so was Trevor. Without Trevor and Tee's 7, we lose.

SO GWP is stirring up #### , by saying Dabo is Wrong!!

Aug 8, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Of course not. That is why I didn't say Clemson won ]

Dabo is our coach, if u dont like his decision, then go follow another team, I dont want no half ### empty glass coot on our boards talkin spit, so just shut up......

Re: Of course not. That is why I didn't say Clemson won

Aug 8, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Of course not. That is why I didn't say Clemson won ]

The point being made here is Kelly would have in that case been just as much of a reason we lost as he was that we won. Take away Trevor's 7...would it have been Trevor's fault Kelly had a scoreless 1st and 4th quarter that led to a loss instead? Or Kelly's?

Ok, I'm not sure what the argument is. I suppose I could

Aug 8, 2019, 10:32 AM

repeat the fact that I never implied KB was the only reason we won.

Re: Ok, I'm not sure what the argument is. I suppose I could

Aug 8, 2019, 10:38 AM

The argument is you are using the fact that they played KB for the majority (or all of) the 2nd half as a way to credit him mostly for the win, as if he didn't have 2 scoreless quarters that nearly cost the game. He after all was the "took us to the playoffs", big road game experienced QB....Trevor, just a true freshman playing in his first college level road game, in front of the biggest crowd Clemson has ever played in front of in history. No biggie I suppose....we can just blame him if he had never scored and we lost...nevermind that experienced QB that didn't score enough on his own, but we want to credit for the win because, well, we never got to see if Trevor could have pulled out the win himself.

Yes, KB would've received blame had we lost

Aug 8, 2019, 10:47 AM

but we won.

Re: Yes, KB would've received blame had we lost

Aug 8, 2019, 10:53 AM

Partly because of Trevor's 7 in the first quarter that gave the Tigers the lead they would have had going into half time (7-3 in that case) without Kelly's efforts...go ahead...say it. I know it's hard to, but it's true. Just don't forget TA&M scored half of their total points in the scoreless 4th quarter Kelly had. Clemson would have only been down 13-7 coming out of the 3rd quarter if kelly wasn't there....a very winnable chance for Trevor.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said

Aug 8, 2019, 11:11 AM

I'm glad we're on the same page.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

Dabo said it best. "I love Kelly and appreciate what he did but he decided to move on." There are consequences with his decision to move on and quit the team. You don't get a ring if you leave after 4 games.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:49 AM

^ bingo. Yuo can thank him for the early season contribution....but he was only there 4 games. The other 10, he wasn't a part of. You don't get a participation prize after leaving the team. If he had been there on the sidelines, contributing to ideas, to helping the rest of his team with what he sees on the field much like a player does when they are injured, it'd be a different story. To take your ball and walk off being even a participant/mentor/leader while you work out your transfer details, you forfeit your status as being considered as part of the team when the season ends. He was a Clemson Tiger player...for 4 games. He was not a National Championship winning Clemson Tiger active player come January.

How do you know KELLY isn’t the reason

Aug 8, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

We only won by 2.. I say if we start Trevor then we win by 2 or 3 touchdowns. KELLY clearly held this team back and that’s why he lost the starting job. He LEFT THE TEAM after that so he’s not owed anything. Maybe Trevor will let him borrow it for 4 weeks to show off to his new buddies

Aug 8, 2019, 2:41 PM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

I can’t even believe this is up for debate. You sir, are an idiot.

That's a perfect comparison.

Aug 8, 2019, 3:48 PM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

Did Benedict Arnold get a land grant from the United States?

Aug 8, 2019, 3:54 PM [ in reply to That's not a good comparison. In life you don't have ]

There is no way of proving that TL would have lost that game bc he wasn't given the chance to win or lose it!!!

Re: If you quit your job in March do you expect an Xmas bonus

Aug 8, 2019, 5:56 PM [ in reply to If you quit your job in March do you expect an Xmas bonus ]

Exactly!!

For what?***

Aug 8, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

For helping the Clemson University men's varsity football

Aug 8, 2019, 8:58 AM

team win a national championship last season.

Re: For helping the Clemson University men's varsity football

Aug 8, 2019, 9:03 AM

Its exactly what should happen when you're "all in" till it doesnt suit you and then you walk off in a midseason huff

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe my seats weren’t that great

Aug 8, 2019, 9:09 AM [ in reply to For helping the Clemson University men's varsity football ]

But I don’t recall seeing him in the game or on the sidelines in Cali back in January.

So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as

Aug 15, 2022, 9:23 AM

helping the team win a national championship?

Re: So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as

Aug 8, 2019, 9:21 AM

I saw an online auction that had 2 championship rings and a picture from the championship game autographed by Dabo going for about $300. Maybe you could buy one and give it to Kelly if you feel real strongly about it.....

He doesn’t have 300 to his name ever since they frowneded on the

Aug 8, 2019, 9:23 AM

Ambulance chasin’

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I don't feel "real strongly" about it. It's

Aug 8, 2019, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as ]

just my opinion.

true we don't win that game without Kelly but have you heard

Aug 8, 2019, 9:31 AM [ in reply to So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as ]

anything that DABO says since he's been here? He coaches from a standpoint building character and equipping men first. He rarely focuses on outcomes. How many times has he said that? The principle here is finishing the job and not quitting on your teammates when it gets tough. It got tough and Kelly made a decision to leave to be apart of another team. The fact that he left put the season at risk (had Trevor went down) and it put Kelly's aspirations ahead of the teams aspirations. Definitely he had the right to do so. But you don't get the fruits of the labor if you don't finish the job. Thats the principle that Dabo is sticking to and its a great lesson.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Aug 8, 2019, 10:36 AM

Is it really that hard to understand. That's why he is a coot, not a one of the 100s of Clemson's ppl I know goes against Dabo, now GWP with his rhetoric, that sounds exactly like my coot friends, very few, anything to down Clemson or Dabo is what they do, and I know all schools do to a extent.... So is GWPs rhetoric a Clemson man or Coot woman??

he contributed for sure

Aug 8, 2019, 9:45 AM [ in reply to So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as ]

i don't hate him for his choice to transfer to use his eligibility and start somewhere.

He didn't finish the season and shouldn't get a ring.

It's a team sport and T-Net HATES when people sit out of bowl games to protect themselves for the NFL draft.

Think if Christian Wilkins breaks his neck and loses his entire career in the CFP and then Kelly Bryant gets a ring for playing 4 games and transferring. Would that make sense to you?

again, i don't hate the guy and acknowledge his contributions for 1/4 of the season

Re: So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as

Aug 8, 2019, 10:14 AM [ in reply to So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as ]

Well I should get a ring too because I wore the same underwear every gameday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB being a starting QB for the football team is a much

Aug 8, 2019, 11:43 AM

greater contribution to the team's success than your underwear choices. The suggestion that you earned a ring due to wearing the same underwear every gameday is absurd.

Re: KB being a starting QB for the football team is a much

Aug 8, 2019, 11:59 AM

to suggest giving a ring to a quitter is just as absurd. maybe he should get a participation trophy also. i am guessing you are one of the people that believe just because you are on a team that you deserve to play.

No, I believe only the best players should play

Aug 8, 2019, 12:11 PM

but I don't understand what that has to do with gameday underwear selection

Re: Kelly's greatest contribution to the team

Aug 8, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to So winning the first 4 games of the season don't count as ]

Kelly's greatest contribution to the team was quitting before Syracuse, because there's no way he makes that throw on 4th-and6 like Chase did.

He probably would have Tua'd and tried to run for it.

And don't even pretend we wouldn't have been in that spot with KB. Under KB, we turned the ball over on downs vs. FURMAN at midfield because he made our offense so predictable.

I like Kelly, but I doubt he will still be the starter by Week #5 at Mizzou.

I hate to say it but I agree with you. I don’t think we win Texas a and m without kB.

Aug 8, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

kB gave us cushion for trevor to be able to ramp up. I would have offered him one. That being said I back Dabo so I won’t lose much sleep over it.

He did get a ring....

Aug 8, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

for the 2016 Championship when he was actually on the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: He did get a ring....

Aug 8, 2019, 10:01 AM

I disagree. I realize that KB played good enough to win that game for us, but TL got about 3 series. One for TD, one 3 and out, and I cant remember what else. How many drives with KB ended in a punt that game?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

I'll try to find a lawyer to explain it to you.

Ok, should I stand by my computer in the meantime?***

Aug 8, 2019, 10:16 AM

Aug 8, 2019, 9:46 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

U serious clark?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Aug 8, 2019, 10:16 AM

Aug 8, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

No, he should not have gotten a ring.. I find it hard to believe that this is even an issue. He quit the team, and walked away. He no longer had any connection to Clemson football. Would have been a great way to cheapen the whole concept of the national championship. Dabo is totally correct.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:32 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

I have to disagree only bc we played 11 full games after KB quit the team. You can't win championship Rings if you have quit on your team 4 games into a 15 game season, that just don't add up to earning a Ring!!!

You should probably ask KB if he thinks he deserves a ring

Aug 8, 2019, 10:54 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

before going to bat for him to get a ring... I would be BLOWN AWAY if KB, himslef, says that he deserves a ring...

but not only that, I really wish these "reporters" would stop asking all of the dumb-donkey questions like was bama tired, was bama focused on the NFL, were bama coaches focused on future jobs, was Clemson's schedule weak, was Clemson more rested than bama, would Clemson beat uga if they played, does KB deserve a ring, is Dabo going to take the bama job when saban retires, is Dabo going to coach in the NFL, would Clemson go undefeated in the SEC, why does Clemson think they are better than bama and uga...

just dumb-donkey questions...

Aug 8, 2019, 11:06 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

How is that BS GWP, he left the team when there were other better choices he could have made like Red Shirt the rest of the season, and he could have traveled with the team to every game as if the Red Shirt could come off with all coaches knowing that wouldn't be possible for him to get another season as a graduate transfer!!! KB was through with Dabo and his personal coaches and quit, you don't deserve any part of what the rest of team earned. Like I said the other day, I'm over my hurt with all that, but in no way does KB deserve a Ring, he got what he was entitled to for every season he was with the team, but not last years team bc you have to be on the team to be a team player!!!

Letter of the Law vs Spirit of the Law

Aug 8, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

By the Letter = KB wasn't with the team at the end. By his choice, but while following a set of nit-picky confetti flying rules that take the fun and love out of the game.

Spirit of the Law = There are priorities in life (God, family, self). Circumstances come up and tough decisions aren't easy, nor do they work out for everyone. There is Mercy, Grace, Forgiveness, Love, Compassion, etc... Is a piece of metal really such a big deal? Having a ring and giving a young man an extra boost in life is not a bad thing. Did KB not graduate, be a good leader, follow rules, provide dedication and possitive influences to others while he was here?
Giving a ring will send a message to the future people that KB comes into contact with. It could shine a little better light on CU and that loving, family oriented place in a small, northwest corner of a tiny state of our troubled country. We are supposed to help each other and point to the positives in this world.

IMO I would chose grace and give the boy a ring.

Re: Letter of the Law vs Spirit of the Law

Aug 8, 2019, 2:39 PM

That's funny, because Human lawyers have decreed that 'The Spirit of the Law' means it's ok to color slightly outside the lines.

It's funny, because it's totally wrong.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said that the Spirit of the Law not only does NOT allow you to color outside the lines, it also requires you to color very far inside the lines. IOW, the Spirit of the Law is not less restrictive, but more. You cannot claim to be abiding within the Spirit of the Law if you are not complying with the Letter first.

I realize that's not the way sinful humans interpret the phrase--if it were, lawyers would be out of work--but it is what Jesus said. And I only bring it up because you introduced Christian-based vocabulary while framing your comments.

Aug 8, 2019, 12:33 PM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

Maria Taylor aint gonna like this, she probably flowed the question towards Dabo. Anyone that watches the VLOGs could tell when Maria and Holly Rowe were on campus Taylor looked like she had a bad case of the sads.

What are the rules then -

Aug 8, 2019, 2:27 PM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

Just to be clear,

Is Kelly a special case or does any player who attended at least one game or played in some mop-up time but transferred out also get a ring?

I should get a ring too then

Aug 8, 2019, 2:36 PM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

The point that Clemson loses to Texas A&M without Bryant is just a far fetched opinion. There is nothing that suggests that we don't win that game a lot more comfortably with Lawrence playing the whole game.
My opinion is that if the Syracuse game was an away game, there is a very good chance we lose that game. With your logic, I deserve a ring because I was at that game and my cheering helped them win the game. I will stop by Dabo's table this weekend to receive my ring and he can let me know what game my name/mold of my clapping hands will be revealed inside the stadium's ring of honor.

Currious

Aug 9, 2019, 10:16 AM [ in reply to That's BS, Kelly should've gotten a ring*** ]

Were in pushing for Josh Belk to get an ACC Championship ring?

This is gonna be good

Aug 8, 2019, 8:47 AM

Aug 8, 2019, 8:47 AM

I can't imagine any coach giving a player a championship ring if they were only on the team for 4 games and left the team. Even if KB was my favorite player ever, I wouldn't think he deserved a ring under those circumstances.

and here's the thing...i bet if you asked Kelly he would

Aug 8, 2019, 9:33 AM

agree. This is all coming from this new age entitlement society that assumes the reward instead of earning the reward.

Re: and here's the thing...i bet if you asked Kelly he would

Aug 8, 2019, 11:20 AM

He's actually said he wasn't expecting one.
https://twitter.com/WilGunter/status/1150828347620024322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1150828347620024322&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.theclemsoninsider.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D114460

Absolutely positively 100% the correct call IMO...

Aug 8, 2019, 8:49 AM

KB quit

End of story

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Probably an unpopular opinion...

Aug 8, 2019, 8:52 AM

But this comes across as a little petty. KB2 helped lead us to a 4-0 start including a win at A&M. He got beat out at QB and due to the new 4 game rule took advantage of a loophole and transferred somewhere he could start.

I would completely agree with Dabo here if Kelly were a sophomore and had several years of eligibility left, but it was his last year AND he graduated. In the interview about Feaster Dabo said (paraphrasing) “Feaster graduated from Clemson so he has earned the right to transfer anywhere he wants to”.

I feel like Dabo is upset with KB2 and withholding a ring that I feel he earned.

JMHO

It was stated above

Aug 8, 2019, 8:54 AM

You might help your company get record numbers in Q1 but if you leave the company in Q2 don't expect to get a christmas bonus in Q4. He didn't finish the job, and we came ###### close to losing a game because he left

Re: Probably an unpopular opinion...

Aug 8, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

Feaster stayed with the team and completed the season. Bryant left the team mid-season to pursue other things. If KB stays with the team through the season (Hurts at Bama) he would have received his ring and still transferred.

null

No, Feaster still had a year of eligibility left

Aug 8, 2019, 9:01 AM

Kelly didn't. In order to comply with the rules he had to quit mid season, otherwise his college career would have been over.

Re: No, Feaster still had a year of eligibility left

Aug 8, 2019, 9:05 AM

To comply he would have had to not play in any more games, him leaving the program altogether was optional. Now that would have made for some awkward interactions had he stayed and not played, but just clarifying.

Ah yes, in that regard whatweeatin is correct

But yeah, what happens if he stays on the team and Trevor gets hurt in the Syracuse game? Does Kelly go in to play to burn his final year of eligibility by playing in a couple quarters, or does he tell Dabo he's good on the sidelines and point to Chase?

If Kelly wanted to play another year as starting QB, with the way Trevor was coming on, he was in a lose/lose situation

We would’ve hated him for sure if he sat on the sideline and didn’t play

Aug 8, 2019, 9:21 AM

And if he did play and win, now you’re dragging out the qb controversy longer. Despite what people believe, in hind sight the way it went down, minus the injury to Trevor in that game, was for the best

Re: We would’ve hated him for sure if he sat on the sideline and didn’t play

Aug 8, 2019, 11:17 AM

I don't think anyone would have hated him for not playing as long as he had already announced his plans to enter the transfer portal. The "mad" would have been the same reason, just the choice to transfer. But if he had announced it, it would be expected he wouldn't be suited up on the sidelines and only have been there as a sideline "coach/mentor" so to speak, I'd think.

Wouldn’t KB have had the redshirt option if he had stayed

Aug 8, 2019, 9:07 AM [ in reply to No, Feaster still had a year of eligibility left ]

On the team but not played in any more games?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes but I think there would have been tremendous pressure to play him

Aug 8, 2019, 9:10 AM

In that Syracuse game . . .

Re: Yes but I think there would have been tremendous pressure to play him

Aug 8, 2019, 11:15 AM

And as a player who had made a decision and announced a transfer, they wouldn't have. Wouldn't have been a good look. He could have however been there to help mentor Chase through that game.

Aug 8, 2019, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

Yes it's a little petty but at the same time when you skip practice after your allowed time to miss, text the coach instead of a face to face and run to the Greenville News to do an interview, well IMO that's pretty much the kicker for me. I'm thankful for KB and his time he put into the program but he could've saved face and handled leaving in a better way. Plus, the competitor in KB probably wouldn't take a ring anyway.

Well said, I agree with everything you said.***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:26 AM

Aug 8, 2019, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

Yes but Feaster did not leave in the Middle of the season. Also Kelly had his chance to get his second ring in 2017 as the lone starter.

that's a slap in the face

Aug 8, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

either way you look at it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

He quit!! That means no longer on the team. End of story. Giving him a ring would have been ludicrous. No escape from political correctness. Thank goodness, we have a coach who isn't afraid to stand up to it.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

You answered your own statement though. He did earn the right to transfer just like Feaster. He did not earn his championship ring like Feaster who played the entire year and gave blood sweat and tears for this program the whole year.

But Feaster still had another year of eligibility

Aug 8, 2019, 12:49 PM

just like Jalen Hurts.

I would imagine Dabo spoke to the team leaders before

Aug 8, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

he made a final decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Probably an unpopular opinion... ]

Feaster was on the team when they played the ACC Championship, the ND playoff, and the National Championship....he earned it. Kelly Bryant was a Missouri Tiger come beginning of December and didn't even attend a practice after the 4th game. Big difference.

Aug 8, 2019, 8:52 AM

Maria Taylor isnt going to like this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly Bryant got a ring...

Aug 8, 2019, 8:58 AM

in 2016. You don't have to be a star or a major contributor but you do have to be on the team. If he had stayed on the team and elected to not play, which Dabo said he offered him, he would have gotten a ring. He quit. How is this even a discussion?

Coach Swinney is 100% right!***

This is stupid ..and very simple

Aug 8, 2019, 9:25 AM

This shouldn’t even be discussed!!
Did KB help Clemson win the national championship? Yes, by transferring!! 1) eliminated any locker room division, and drama that could have had an affect in the team off the field. 2) KB likely would have been in the game against Syracuse, and may not have been able to make the throw Chase Brice made...keeping the season intact!!
Does KB deserve a ring? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The dude left the team, quit, transferred...whatever you want to call it... he left his teammates and the commitment he had made to them... whether or not he was right/wrong, had “earned the right”, doing what’s best for himself and his career is indifferent... the ending is the same...he left/quit/transferred. Bottom line is he took his ball and went home when things didn’t go his way for his own personal interest. Clemson doesn’t win a national championship if KB is splitting reps with TL. Personal feelings aside that’s the truth. So yes, by leaving he did help Clemson win the NATTY!!
Dang snow flakes!!

Re: This is stupid ..and very simple

Aug 8, 2019, 10:11 AM

Amen!

Aug 8, 2019, 9:32 AM

He loses the starter position 4 games into a season at a game where TL clearly played better than him, and instead of working to get his position back, he left. And worse, said it was a "slap in the face". Unfortunately this says a lot about KB's level of maturity at that point of his life. He had an entitlement attitude about his position. That doesn't work at this level of the game. He made a selfish decision to leave, and ultimately to Clemson's advantage. I hope it all works out well for him, but I also know if he does truly possess a competitor's heart, he will always regret not staying and seeing if he could have won back his position. Having that ring would just be a reminder of what he was not part of.

ALL IN GO DABO***

Aug 8, 2019, 9:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s a lie

Aug 8, 2019, 9:35 AM

Always have been, always will be people not on the team that get a ring, including under CDS. It’s all about the details of the KB exodus. For example, had KB decided to leave and become a missionary at a Third World country, CDS would have personally delivered the ring. It’s the coaches decision so I respect it. But it’s time for all of these grown men to stop all the KB hatred. My goodness! We won the Natty!

Re: That’s a lie

Aug 8, 2019, 10:07 AM

Found Juan.

Re: That’s a lie

Aug 8, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to That’s a lie ]

What "hatred?" Feeling that he didn't deserve to receive a championship ring is "hatred ??" Will there ever come a day when KB isn't a big topic of discussion on this site?? One can only hope.

Aug 8, 2019, 9:38 AM

I’ve never seen a player as average as Kelly Bryant get so much attention. I watched him hold back the Clemson offense for over a year. He’s not Trevor Lawrence, he not Deshaun and he isn’t Tajh. People will only remember him for the distractions he ended up causing. And to text Coach Swinney the day he left and not even call or talk to him since. Coward

Aug 8, 2019, 10:23 AM

Spot on! Great post.

Dabo offered him the chance to redshirt. When KB left,

Aug 8, 2019, 9:53 AM

he left the ring on the table. If he had stayed with a redshirt, he could have still worked on his craft AND been available if TL went down. He probably would have been the hero that Chase is now and even more if had been worse. He could have still transferred after the season and been where he is now with his new team. After all, it would only have been another 3 months down the road. He decided to get a jump start on his new path, which HOPEFULLY NONE of us blame him for. KB had to do what he felt was best for him.........but at the same time, he took no consideration for what it would do to his team or teammates. Not saying that was right or wrong, just saying it was a decision based solely for HIS benefit. The rings are for those who were part of the team who were there at the end. KB had moved on, and in doing so, he was no longer eligible for the end prize.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Aug 8, 2019, 10:06 AM

Thank God he didn’t get a ring. Would have been a crime if he had.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 10:11 AM

He understood what he was giving up when he left mid-season. It’s not like he is checking his mail box everyday expecting one. I love NON-ISSUES and how much attention they get.

He does have a point.

Why would someone ask Dabo that? Gimme a break!***

Aug 8, 2019, 10:47 AM

Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney on Kelly Bryant:

Aug 8, 2019, 12:47 PM

Dabo is 100% correct. I cant lay the foundation for a house, quit the job and give it to another contractor, then expect payment when the other contractor finishes the rest of the entire house. So NO.....he does NOT deserve a ring. If he deserves anything it's a thank you card for leaving and not holding the offense back for another year.

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Aug 8, 2019, 12:51 PM

So basically ESPN is still super butt hurt which is why we still have to talk about the genius that quit after game 4 and went to a team that isnt even bowl eligible. They got completely wrong last year and they are still hurting. If you quit the team your not part of the team, this is true even in highschool yet there are still children out there that just dont get it

Aug 8, 2019, 1:02 PM

Sorry Kelly. You quit so you don't get chit!! GO TIGERS!!

Aug 8, 2019, 2:57 PM

I'm sure it's already been said but KB already got several rings thanks to DW4's hard work. I think he'll be ok.

Also we would have still made the cfp if we lost to TAM.

Also if Trevor had first team snaps all summer and fall he would have been better prepared for TAM.

You can play what if all day on this one.

To all you "Ever'body deserves a trophy" ####### on here

Aug 8, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quitters don't deserve #### ##### ####.

Period.

“no ring for you!”

Aug 8, 2019, 4:03 PM

I agree - not on the team. no ring.

Dead Subject....Move on***

Aug 8, 2019, 4:04 PM

Aug 8, 2019, 8:37 PM

My issue with the situation is not so much that he left (any reasonable person could understand why he left and the implications staying had on his potential NFL opportunity). Rather, it was how he conducted himself. Really went against the concept of “raising men” as Dabo always says.

For him to run to the news, make comments like he “didn’t get a fair” shake and felt like it was a “slap in the face” and then to do all of this and not talk to Dabo till this day is unbelievable. I’m in shock that he has yet to talk to Dabo even though Dabo has said he loves him multiple times. I lost a lot of respect for him for the way he conducted himself. And then last week he says he would talk to Dabo if Dabo reached out. Young man, you're confused. You’re the one that owes Dabo a phone call and apology - not for what you did, but how you did it.

Aug 8, 2019, 9:11 PM

This is truly not very difficult... Kelly got pushed to backup and did not like it. He left the team in a bad situation when he quit. Thank goodness we had Brice to fill in when Trevor went down. Once he quit on the team, he was no longer part of the team.
I agree with Dabo 100%... No ring for Kelly. I do wish him well at Mizzou. I hope his hamstring heals in time to beat the Lamecocks.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 140
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic