Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe

Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 PM

Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe

A video of Clemson assistant basketball coach Steve Smith was presented at the basketball corruption trial on New York on Thursday. The video reportedly shows S Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe

Apr 25, 2019, 3:09 PM

Now can we get rid of Brownell?

Why, because he wouldn't cheat to get Williamson?***

Apr 25, 2019, 3:15 PM

Not saying this is true or not

Apr 25, 2019, 3:22 PM

but wouldn't this be a case of not cheating enough?

Re: Not saying this is true or not

Apr 25, 2019, 10:21 PM

striperfan said:

but wouldn't this be a case of not cheating enough?

Perhaps he wouldn't, but it appears one of his assistants may

Apr 25, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Why, because he wouldn't cheat to get Williamson?*** ]

have been involved in some shenanigans. If so, Brad is accountable for his assistants. Is Smith still om staff?

So now Clemson has Merl Code and Steve Smith with FBI

Apr 25, 2019, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

Does that mean we win or lose the race?

Apr 27, 2019, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

No! He'll come out unscathed. We have to maintain mediocrity in our BB program.

So this knucklehead attempting to cheat tried to make himself credible

Apr 25, 2019, 3:22 PM

by implying our football team cheats. Time for him to walk the plank.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So this knucklehead attempting to cheat tried to make himself credible

Apr 25, 2019, 3:28 PM

Basketball coaches have one job:

Don't jeopardize the football team.

Apr 25, 2019, 3:38 PM

They should be fired immediately for speaking of football.

Apr 25, 2019, 3:56 PM

He can talk all he wants about football but that’s all hearsay. He said he use to see people in suits after games and was trying to figure out who they were. But he can’t name one football player that was paid. All good.

Apr 25, 2019, 5:05 PM

He is trying to say that if it was ok with FB, that he figured it was ok for Basketball also. Fire him and anybody connected to him if that hasn't already been done. I'm not accusing or pointing any fingers but, Brad is the HC, and he hired Smith, so the entire coaching staff in Basketball should be shown the door. Do that, and the next crew will police themselves by dropping a dime on anything they hear that isn't sounding on the up and up, kill them all, ahh, I mean fire them all!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no crap. anybody who doesnt like it can go pull for Duke

Apr 25, 2019, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: So this knucklehead attempting to cheat tried to make himself credible ]

This is a football school. What kind of dumb @#$% would say that?

Apr 27, 2019, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: So this knucklehead attempting to cheat tried to make himself credible ]

Oh hell, Brownell won't be touched. We need the basketball program to remain the joke that is, in order to provide some comic relief for the university. Now that they've apparently gone illegal, no problem, it's just Brownell. At least he's just not losing, but now has us involved in some off-color crap. But then it's just basketball, no need to sweat it. Can anyone imagine if this was the football program?? Insane in any other scenario, but gee this is basketball. Wish we could drop it.

Nailed it. And this guy should be fired. He has

Apr 25, 2019, 8:03 PM [ in reply to So this knucklehead attempting to cheat tried to make himself credible ]

damaged every athlete, player, coach and fan of Clemson.

Re: Nailed it. And this guy should be fired. He has

Apr 27, 2019, 8:57 PM

Right! And what will happen? My guess is that Brownell will remain right here, presiding over an ongoing program of overt mediocrity and now apparent illegal enterprises. So glad that I care nothing for basketball and therefore have no investment in the bungling, corrupt basketball program at Clemson. I'm sure that they will be allowed to stumble forward in some untoward sense. What an embaressment to the team and the fan base.
\

Apr 27, 2019, 10:32 PM

dgcannon39 said:

Right! And what will happen? My guess is that Brownell will remain right here, presiding over an ongoing program of overt mediocrity and now apparent illegal enterprises. So glad that I care nothing for basketball and therefore have no investment in the bungling, corrupt basketball program at Clemson. I'm sure that they will be allowed to stumble forward in some untoward sense. What an embaressment to the team and the fan base.
\

Great post. Corruption or mediocrity? Which one is more relevant to your arguement?? I ask because they generally are not synonymous. Maroooooon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Nailed it. And this guy should be fired. He has ]

....and you will still be a Coot .... which is a he77 of a lot worse than anything at Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2019, 3:26 PM

Well obviously whatever was discussed by Smith and Dawkins didn't get Zion to Clemson so where's the wire taps from Duke and how much did it cost Duke for Zion's one year of service there?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke tapes mysteriously disappeared.***

Apr 25, 2019, 4:12 PM

Apr 25, 2019, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

Duke uses bleach bit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2019, 3:35 PM

Snakes in the woodpile. Can’t believe someone would be so stupid to jeopardize the Clemson brand and Brownell ought to do the right thing and resign and take the whole bunch with him and own it... not try and drag our name through the mud.

Do it and do it quickly!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 9:01 PM

Great post. I totally agree. What Duke did is not our problem. What Brownell did is our problem. He and his mob need to resign ASAP, and get the he$$ out of Dodge. Failing that, we should drop basketball.

Clemson basketball does not cheat

Apr 25, 2019, 3:36 PM

and has the record to prove it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson basketball does not cheat

Apr 25, 2019, 3:52 PM

^^ I’d agree

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FBI sure does a better job than the NCAA.***

Apr 25, 2019, 3:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FBI sure does a better job than the NCAA.***

Apr 25, 2019, 4:01 PM

The FBI has this nifty little thing called the subpoena...

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

So we tried to cheat and still couldn't get Zion to come...

Apr 25, 2019, 3:50 PM

If we're gonna get hammered by the NCAA, I'd at least like to have a Final 4 to show for it...

Re: So we tried to cheat and still couldn't get Zion to come...

Apr 27, 2019, 9:06 PM

Final four?? You've got to be kidding. Even cheating, we wouldn't make the final sixteen. Now we are looking at a corrupt system, and even with that we couldn't win. This is sickening, and these people need to be shown the door.

Re: So we tried to cheat and still couldn't get Zion to come...

Apr 27, 2019, 10:44 PM

Is the “final” sixteen like the sour sixteen? ?????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was the video made public? I’d like to hear it for

Apr 25, 2019, 3:57 PM

myself.

If he was talking about Clemson being willing to pay for a player, can them all. Brownell is responsible for the culture of the program and its his job to make clear that we won’t tolerate this.

null

Apr 25, 2019, 4:01 PM

If there is even one shred of truth in this crap, it changes everything. I have the sickest feeling in my gut that this isn’t going away and every ounce of success we have had will be destroyed. I pray this is untrue.

First off, if it were happening in football,anassistant

Apr 25, 2019, 4:08 PM

BBall coach wouldn't have a clue about it. Secondly, read the rest of the tweets, Smith a self admitted liar, he admitted he lied to BB about Zion.

Nothing to see here, that's why no charges were filed against Smith. Just a little man trying to pump up his chest, believing he's "in".

Re: First off, if it were happening in football,anassistant

Apr 25, 2019, 4:10 PM

Thanks, I live in cootland and I have heard this all day and I needed to hear something reasonable.

Apr 25, 2019, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

I'm praying with you!!! Smith is still listed as an assistant coach for Brad Brownell....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

I agree generally agree with what you say. But, what"success" are you talking about? Surrly not in basketball.

Apr 25, 2019, 4:13 PM

This only tells me that we were outbid. Congrats duke, bigger paycheck.

Apr 25, 2019, 4:59 PM

Although it doesnt matter now, it does beg the question why is the FBI involved. Is this a criminal matter? If there is no money paid, it's just allegation. And to some comments above, where is the football connection? If it's not there, don't mention it !!!! Use some sense.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2019, 5:12 PM

I guess some of you idiots will come off that high horse now . If they don’t fire the whole bunch including the head man , what does that say ?

Important question for you.

Apr 25, 2019, 7:29 PM

If a similar story came out involving one of our football assistant coaches, would you be calling for the entire football coaching staff including Dabo to be fired?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Yes...

Apr 25, 2019, 7:48 PM

if credible evidence that it a) happened regularly and/or b) other coaches within the program knew and covered it up...blame goes to the top. I would rather be honest and lose than cheat and win...period.

Re: Yes...

Apr 25, 2019, 8:27 PM

Well said. Couldn’t agree more with you!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Important question for you.

Apr 25, 2019, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Important question for you. ]

It’s a big difference in football than basketball
Football 80 players 15-20 staff
Basketball 12 players 4-5 staff

LOL okay.***

Apr 25, 2019, 8:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: LOL okay.***

Apr 25, 2019, 8:30 PM

Meaning more than likely CBB knew exactly what was going on.

Convenient argument you setup there.

Apr 26, 2019, 10:46 AM

If something bad happens with basketball, the head coach must know since it's a smaller staff and fewer players. But if it happens with football, the head coach probably doesn't know since it's more staff and more players.

I completely disagree with that.

Apr 25, 2019, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Important question for you. ]

Totally agree, but yes if it was one of your top assistants, I’d be sick about it just as I’m sick about this to anything Clemson.

Your lead recruiter***

Apr 26, 2019, 8:23 AM

Apr 25, 2019, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Important question for you. ]

I've said here all along and I still mean it with all my heart, I am all about Clemson first and more so over any Coach, and I would rather lose playing fair than win cheating any day. What is a game if you have to cheat to win, it's nothing!!! I say fire any coach cheating, who ever that coach is. If it wasn't the HC, find out if they knew or was suspicious, and if they were, fire them also if they didn't confront and fire the cheater!!!

Apr 26, 2019, 1:34 AM [ in reply to Important question for you. ]

Admittedly if Brownell had five ACC championships and two national championships under his belt, it may cause me to pause for five seconds and think about ways to defend him, but I would eventually land in the same place - if there is serious impropriety happening on his watch, he should go.

That said, facts so far are lacking so I prefer to let this play out prior to casting judgment.

But there is fire under this smoke then the question is not the basketball vs. football argument you adore, but simply right vs. wrong.

All I'm asking for is consistent support

Apr 26, 2019, 10:50 AM

for all of our coaches and players.

The double standard is ridiculous. Some people here seem overly eager to use this as evidence that we have a corrupt basketball program and a justification to fire Brownell. I would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt while the facts are gathered, and support them like we would if this were football.

Apr 27, 2019, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

Collusion!

Apr 25, 2019, 5:46 PM

Williams played for Duke, so is the FBI naming the names of who paid Zion's family the money to play at Duke???

Apr 25, 2019, 6:38 PM

Have to disagree with you on this. Zion knew he had one year and would be worth millions. Why not go to a high vis program that you knew would make a deep run. I don’t think they had to pay him. Smith should be fired immediately.

Agree...Duke doesn't have to pay players...***

Apr 25, 2019, 7:48 PM

Re: Agree...Duke doesn't have to pay players...***

Apr 25, 2019, 8:32 PM

Exactly. Just like Dabo doesn’t have to. Or Nick Saban for that matter. Players know who the great coaches are and can help them obtain their goals.

Apr 26, 2019, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

Except there are already multiple reports out there that Zion's family received benefits from Duke.

Apr 27, 2019, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson releases statement on assistant named in FBI probe ]

Okay. We had a Clemson assistant coach discussing a star player in extremely suggestive terms (legally). And we are to believe that Brownell was totally unaware of this? Forgive him for having been a totally failed coach in terms of recruiting and team performance,now he's involved in some totally sleazy business involving recruiting. So the true believers continue to support him as our head basketball coach?? Huh? Hello? Tell me, how can he continue? Frankly, I don't care because I care nothing for basketball, but I do care deeply for Clemson. This is a potential disaster.

Apr 25, 2019, 8:05 PM

Fire this man. Fore anyone you think might be corrupt. Hell if the basketball team is trying to sabotage our football program just cancel the basketball program. They dont win anyway.

Apr 27, 2019, 9:28 PM

Totally agree.

This just makes me nauseated...

Apr 25, 2019, 8:06 PM

Now Dabo is going to have to explain to everyone that none of this applies to the football program instead of enjoying his job of talking to the media about our team. This is a highly undesirable distraction.

Worst case, it may lead to an investigation into the football program, causing additional distractions and headaches. You never know, but I can't imagine Dabo and his staff would be doing anything out of line. This is just a load of garbage.

*SIGH*

Re: This just makes me nauseated...

Apr 25, 2019, 8:39 PM

Agree. Another distraction that gives media that love a scandal or anything that could remotely explain the butthurt they took with the bama beatdown. It will be dragged up again about the osterine crap.

Just makes me sick. I’ll be disappointed if smith isn’t fired tomorrow or at a bare minimum, put on unpaid admin leave. He already should have been put on leave for simply making the comment he lied to bb.

Re: This just makes me nauseated...

Apr 27, 2019, 9:40 PM [ in reply to This just makes me nauseated... ]

Absolutely! This punk, do-nothing basketball team is exposing our outstanding football team to unwarranted scrutiny. Brownell is now under scrutiny for possible recruiting violations, and this brings the entire athletic department under surveillance. Brownell needs to resign ASAP. I don't know, but I suspect that he and his minions are far from innocent. We are recruiting full-bore for our 2020 football and these scumbags are undermining us.

So Duke paid more and we were out bid? This is the same FBI

Apr 25, 2019, 8:26 PM

That couldn’t find Hillary’s email?
That ignored the stupid murderer in the South Florida shooting?
That can’t find accomplishes in the Vegas shooting?
That tried to perform a coup on our current President because some of the higher ups didn’t like Trunp?
Do I need to go on???

Give up on this. Let the NCAA handle it. Focus resources on more important issues: like Christian persecution of Americans overseas, radical left and radical right in country.

Rant over.

Re: So Duke paid more and we were out bid? This is the same FBI

Apr 27, 2019, 10:01 PM

Okay, you make some very good points with which I agree. However, you have far more faith in the NCAA than I do. They are just another government agency. Okay, I think from your post that you are saying, "it is what it--just let it go." There's a lot in my views that would tend to agree with you. At some point in my earlier life, I would have probably agreed with you. I feel that it is very important for each person freely express his or her opinion whether it regards sports or politics. Given that, Clemson basketball is embarasing crap.

DRad's got to make an example and clean house in B-Ball

Apr 26, 2019, 2:23 AM

Fire all of them and immediately come out with a press conference and say this will not be tolerated at Clemson University. This will also discourage any morons from trying this in the future.

Re: DRad's got to make an example and clean house in B-Ball

Apr 26, 2019, 2:57 AM

I think that the way it is right now, there should be before noon tomorrow, a press release stating that Clemson will not ever tolerate any coaching staff bending the rules to obtain players to play sports at Clemson. And that the entire BB coaching staff has been put on administration leave without pay until a complete investigation has been completed and the guilty and anybody knowing about this incident during the FBI investigation has been terminated from their employment at Clemson University!!!

Re: DRad's got to make an example and clean house in B-Ball

Apr 27, 2019, 10:21 PM

Totally agree with you, but doubt that it will happen.Basketball program seems to lead a charmed life. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Brownell escape this scandal. He's got some big-time pull at Clemson. Huge scandal for Clemson, but my guess is that Brownell will dis-claim having had any knowledge as to what was going on. And the Clemson Athletic Department will buy it. Not that they believe it. Who would? Who but the fans would know?

There is zero evidence that Brownell knew anything about this.

Apr 27, 2019, 10:24 PM

I’m glad Clemson, unlike you, is getting all of the facts before making rash decisions.

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic