Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson ranked No. 2 in Phil Steele's preseason rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson ranked No. 2 in Phil Steele's preseason rankings

Jul 8, 2019, 9:49 AM

Clemson ranked No. 2 in Phil Steele's preseason rankings

College Football 'guru' Phil Steele is back with another edition of his 350-page preseason magazine and that comes with his preseason rankings. Defending champi Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#2 sounds just about right

Jul 8, 2019, 10:31 AM

and gives us a front row scenic window seat ride all season until the natty when we then take over the steering wheel from the Elephant driver!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #2 sounds just about right

Jul 8, 2019, 10:33 AM

Just like golf, it's not how you drive but how you arrive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #2 sounds just about right

Jul 8, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to #2 sounds just about right ]

Good post. I’d be really upset if my mascot was Dumbo the Elephant but, what ever fits!

Let's get on the ROY bus again!!! Woooo!***

Jul 8, 2019, 11:03 AM [ in reply to #2 sounds just about right ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson ranked No. 2 in Phil Steele's preseason rankings

Jul 8, 2019, 10:35 AM

I’m sure Steele is correct. The Bama team will be highly motive as a result of the embarrassment they suffered last January but it’s very unlikely that our TIGERS will be over confident . I hope Bama stays ranked number one all season. Reports like the Steele prediction will only incite Dabos team to excel again. Right now, disrespect is all the Tigers need. imo

Actually I hope that Bama loses to Duke but that likely will not happen.

I just don't buy the motivation argument.

Jul 9, 2019, 10:18 AM

If a team was so motivated by losing, USuC would be one of the best teams in the country. I agree that teams use it to motivate them, but you use what you have. Alabama will be motivated by redemption, and Clemson will be motivated by a lack of respect and a chance to go back to back. We did not lose in 2017 because of Alabama's motivation. It was because of our fatal flaws. If Alabama's motivation would have been so great, they would not have had to depend on luck to be included in the CFP after losing their division. Last year, we did not win because of motivation. We corrected our fatal flaws and were just plain better. This year we will each have our own reasons to give that little bit extra and at the end of the season we will find out who is just plain better.

The only issue I have with the rankings is

Jul 8, 2019, 10:40 AM

Michigan at #3. I'm just not seeing it. I'd rather be #2 than #1 preseason.

Re: The only issue I have with the rankings is

Jul 8, 2019, 10:52 AM

Yeah, for some reason we keep being ranked higher post season than preseason. I like to keep that tradition alive.

As for Michigan... well, someone has to be #3 and not jawja. I would have place OU or even Texas above Michigan. However, if you look at the #3-9, they all seem to have fairly significant question marks. I bet half don't even rank in the top 25 (cough pulling an Miami/Auburn). But if I was going to bet on a team rising above their ranking a lot, that would be Washington (again). 16 is low for them and CP always has them doing well... especially if they think Utah or Oregon is going to be ahead of them.

Virginia Tech at 25, ###? Is 25 the number of kids on their roster?

Jul 8, 2019, 11:08 AM

I had the same thoughts as u, u must be smart

Jul 8, 2019, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: The only issue I have with the rankings is ]

Doc sees the future rather well!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: The only issue I have with the rankings is ]

My thoughts, too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 10:55 AM

we need to change our mascot to the Dangerfields...

UTAH @ 8?????

Jul 8, 2019, 11:03 AM

They finished 9-5 and unranked last season. Vegas has them projected to win 8.5 (over/under) this season. If Phil Steele thinks they're the 8th best team in the nation, then Phil Steele is an idiot trying to sell magazines to Mormons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stopped reading after “guru”***

Jul 8, 2019, 11:10 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

So, the biggest reason he picked Bama is because our O,

Jul 8, 2019, 11:26 AM

which has 9 of 11 starters coming back, including the best QB,the best RB, and the best WR corps in the country....who beat the brakes off of a D that has 6 players returning....Well, the uhm, team that got stomped is going to be so mad, that they are going to play harder this time.....EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE THE BEST TEAM EVER at the time they met last year.....

Did I get that right?

Those back-ups and injured from Bama's '18 D will be better

Jul 8, 2019, 11:45 AM

than the starters... yea, sounds logical... NOT! This year's O, if Carman can hold down the LT (which I certainly think he will), will be the best O of any team in recent memory, if not ever...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, the biggest reason he picked Bama is because our O,

Jul 8, 2019, 11:54 AM [ in reply to So, the biggest reason he picked Bama is because our O, ]

Spot on right Spud!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 1:35 PM [ in reply to So, the biggest reason he picked Bama is because our O, ]

You seem to have gotten it the way they wrote it. Really kind of comical for them to continue with the bias, but we are not going away. People thought the same thing the last several classes, but somehow Venables seems to perform what must be magic by creating a fabulous defense with apparently less talent than the big boys in the sec. Funny how that keeps being wrong, but it's always fun to knock them off and then listen to the gnashing of teeth when they fail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to So, the biggest reason he picked Bama is because our O, ]

Right as rain. Some writers can't go against what amounts to popular opinion, even despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. BTW, I never have bought his magazine. PS is typically an anecdote at the end of the season vs preseason. Another opinion with little substance.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well thank goodness

Jul 8, 2019, 11:36 AM

We can't win it all it seems unless we are under rated before the season. I woulda been worried if Philbert had ranked us #1

Jul 8, 2019, 11:36 AM

wow....bama must be resting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama's revenge factor/ intimidation tactics will be on full

Jul 8, 2019, 11:50 AM

display all season as the go-to topic for the media pundits... But then there's the post season and that crap doesn't float with Clemson. Talk is cheap... 44-16 isn't.

lol, not just lol I mean really lol.***

Jul 8, 2019, 11:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 12:45 PM

Keep feeding the rat poison to Bama. I like it!

Tiger Band 70-74

Jul 8, 2019, 4:35 PM

It all comes down to character. The reason bama got by was on their reputation. They did have talent, but their character was lacking and it showed in the NC game. The same will happen this year as well. They will overstuff themselves with their own PR. This time though they have fewer top talent to carry them through. They will have a couple of tough games unexpectedly and everyone will be wondering what happened. Like most supporters they will call those anomilies and the other teams got better without realizing how much they have really slipped. I look for at least 2 surprise losses from them and them not even making the SEC championship. Most will say I have no clue, but wait until November gets here.

Jul 9, 2019, 10:03 PM

Hope you are correct. Tired of 'Bammer's silly excuses. Love to see the Tigers wallop Georgia.

How can VT be that high? ***

Jul 8, 2019, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t care if we are rated # 5 or 10

Jul 8, 2019, 3:15 PM

I’ll take Our team over anybody else’s period. Dabo, Trevor Lawrence, ETN, Tee Higgins, Justin Ross, Amari Roders, our Offensive line!! Unstoppable and proved that last year and they all are a year older!!

Our Defense will be lights out XT, Nyles Pinckney, Jordan, KJ, and Brent Venables and crew. Our Secondary is going to be really good too. How many times do people doubt how deep we are on Defense? Brent and crew have proven to take much less talent and be great. What we have on Defense Brent would have loved to have 4-5 years ago and they were great.

Dabo is smiling thinking about pulling that Roy bus out and shining it up for another run!! ??

I didn’t mention several 5 stars we have and these awesome rookie WRs!!

Let’em feel sorry for us after the Tide 16 - 44 didn’t look like they belonged on the field with us, what will we do, kick they’re butts worse!!

He’s trying to sell the sec HOMERS magazines. They can’t pay for wins buying magazines it was still 44-16 mercy call by Dabo. Easily could have been 56 or 63 to 16.....

Let’s hope our Trevor Lawrence team can still play!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 8, 2019, 4:01 PM

No worries bc as far as the know it all's were concerned, Clemson was #2 before and after beating Bama 44-16 in the NCG... We will remain #2 regardless of Clemson beating Bama in 2 0f 3 NCG'S, and I don't expect to see a change in who is #1 as long as Nick Saban is an active coach at Bama, but we are the best #2 team in the country ;)!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 6:02 PM

Not a problem we have always played good with a chip on our shoulders, as stated earlier we've bettered our pressing rankings now for a strong number of years! If history serves us well we should be just fine! Those Tigers are working their backsides off right now!!!! This is when it is won, GO TIGERS!!!

Jul 8, 2019, 6:20 PM

I predict we play someone other than Alabama

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 9:12 PM

This and other preseason rankings should not surprise us. I expect Bama to be good and go on a no mercy tour this season. I also think Clemson will be good and is not afraid of big bad Bama. It will be interesting to see if any of their SEC opponents can challenge them. They all know Tua can have issues when injured (vs UGA) or rattled (vs Clemson).

Jul 9, 2019, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson ranked No. 2 in Phil Steele's preseason rankings ]

Hope so. Sick of seeing grumpy pacing the sidelines.

For a guy who claims stats as the unique strength of his magazine,

Jul 8, 2019, 9:23 PM

Steele sure is putting a lot of weight on an unquantifiable 'revenge' as his deciding factor in awarding #1 vs. #2...

Understandable though... It's probably all he could come up with to justify it.

Ah ok ol' Phil is at it again

Jul 8, 2019, 10:25 PM

Seems the man has moved to a western state, started a farm and partaken in his own harvest a little too much. Clemson#2 ok (I'll begrudgingly accept that point of view) but Michigan in the playoff? Some one take this man's lighter away.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ah ok ol' Phil is at it again

Jul 9, 2019, 10:10 PM

Totally agree. You know, gotta sell those magazines. I do buy it because it's jam packed with all sorts of interesting stuff. His predictions? Who cares? Same with all the nerds on television, radio, internet. They are just playing to as many big fan bases as possible. But Michigan is laughable.

If Bama's Motivation is In ACC. They'll lose 2 in-d-SEC!

Jul 8, 2019, 10:48 PM

Mark my words. If for some reason they are truly motivated by the "whooping they took"; they won't make it to Atlanta! They won't! LSU has discovered the forward pass and should be able to generate enough 1st downs to challenge Bama this year!
I'm not fully sold on Sarkisian as their OC! He is a talented guy; but his QB isn't Matt Ryan! Who btw kind of fell off his MVP year under Sark. Tua is more product of their system in my opinion and he throws a deadly deep ball. So his stats look amazing at the end.
Looking ahead of your opponents will get you beat; even if you are Nicky Saban and Alabama!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2019, 11:27 PM

Is this supposed to be at the beginning or the end of the season? If it’s season’s end then how can AL and GA still be in the top four with 1, maybe two losses ?? SEC lost more bowl games(6-6) than ACC (6-5) yet they still get higher rankings based on some hype and chest puffing. Follow the Dabo method and just leave it on the field. Just remember the improvement TJ made from beginning to end and apply that to this season.

Jul 9, 2019, 3:32 AM

Good. I want our guys hungry to earn respect like they have been, not to be given it just for showing up like other media darling teams.

Michigan? Any team who can lose to the Coots in a bowl has a way to go to be on my list of contenders.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic