Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft

Jan 6, 2021, 9:30 PM

Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft

Breaking: Clemson junior left tackle Jackson Carman announced that he is declaring for the NFL draft on Wednesday. "I am declaring for the 2021 NFL Draft," Carman said vi Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft

Jan 6, 2021, 9:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perfect***

Jan 6, 2021, 10:41 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 9:35 PM

Despite coming in as a five-star recruit he never did seem to develop. Haven’t really seen any improvement since his freshman year. And he definitely did not have a lot of discipline because he was probably one of if not our most penalized lineman.

So was his lack of development him being overrated, our scheme, or poor coaching?

He seems to have been an excellent teammate and a good guy and given the fact that he’s been starting for four years he’s probably not gonna get any better by playing one more year so it makes sense for him to go ahead and declared for the draft. I don’t see where one more year would do him any good. I know a lot of people on here are saying he should come back, but if he hasn’t gotten much better in four years as a starter I don’t see where one more year‘s gonna make a difference.

Edit: just looked him up and he’s a junior not a senior. I was thinking he had played four years but he’s only played three. Still not sure if another year will do him much good because he got beat pretty badly this year on a routine basis. Maybe another year would help him, but it’s hard to tell. I’m assuming he talked to the coaching staff as well as getting as much draft information as possible. But as we know these kids don’t always take the advice to come back when they should. Again, assuming people think he would get better with one more year in the program. That’s why I’d like to hear from someone that knows about these things better and if they’ve heard anything from the coaching staff or NFL people.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Jan 7, 2021, 8:05 AM

This is why I'm not worried. We have a five star coming in. Jackson didn't improve in three years. So, Leigh should start day one performing at Jackson's level. Leigh is proving to be a high character kid so I'm betting he will be better than Jackson by September 4th.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:36 PM

I think another year might have been beneficial but good luck to a talented young man. Next man up. I’m looking at you Mr Parks. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 9:40 PM

Wish we had him for another year but always hard to argue when a young man wants to chase his dreams! Good luck in the NFL Jackson!!

Jan 6, 2021, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

Why do you think he would get better with another year? He has shown very little development. What does one more year with the same coach do for him?

I’m not even sure if he will get drafted. Hyatt Is one of if not the best lineman we’ve had in years And he didn’t get drafted. And he was more disciplined than Carman.

He does however seem to have a lot of potential and he definitely has all the physical tools so I can see how an NFL team would like him and maybe take him in a lower round and try and help develop him. Unfortunately, I think the NFL does a lot less development with players like this than they used to.

Does anyone know what kind of grades he gets post game on his film? How does he compare to Hyatt?

Jan 6, 2021, 9:45 PM

He’s a true Junior. He started for two years and was a backup to Hyatt his first year.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

Not sure he will even get drafted? I’ll take that bet. He will be drafted before the 4th round, probably end of 2nd round.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 10:57 AM

Lol. The football iq on this board always makes me chuckle.

Jan 7, 2021, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

Are you serious? Saw players like Beasley to go from so-so to beasts and 1st round in their fifth year. I have seen great players come back and hurt themselves because they are afraid they might hurt their draft pick but those tend to Seniors or GS's that are 2-3s rnd pick that try to protect themselves. But normally best are those that redshirt one yr for growth, or get the final chance to show their growth. We have Rodgers that built a giant resume this yr, we have Powell that grew with huge opportunity and both probably land in draft where they would not last year.

The last year for Clelin was huge when he came back. He would never been first if he didn't come back. I think money wise Carmen would do better to come back because offensive line was weak point this year.

We have had our best OL recruiting for last 6yrs except for maybe Ford years. Our O-line, while their weights look similar, their bodies look different than the good teams we play. ND, WISC, Bama, Ohiost, etc, their guys look different when you look at them. Bigger arms, not as fat, bigger overall, not sure true but something is different.

Unless Tony E. makes excuses, but the best RB can't get yds against ACC teams because packing box is just an excuse or he knows the OL is weak link?

Jan 7, 2021, 1:47 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

I think that he would get better by you just shutting your stupid trash mouth, no doubt!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 2:55 AM

Emotional much?

Tough day? Need a hug?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

I'm having trouble this morning cyphering what your opinion is. Here yousaythe NFL doesn't develope these type players so much anymore. Yet, earlier you said another year at Clemson wouldn't help him. I can only conclude that you think he has been a bust and will continue to be a bust in the NFL. I don't agree. At the very least if he comes back he will get an extra year of education. How many 2nd and 3rd string Seniors are coming back just for the extra year of free education? What is an extra year of education worth if a player doesn't make it in the NFL? This applies to all CFB programs.

So, he's good enough to be All American and All ACC, but not good enough to be All Tigernet. How goofy is that?

Jan 7, 2021, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

Carmen has better feet than Hyatt, and his physical makeup has higher upside. I thought 2019 was a better year for him, and agree, there didn't seem to be the improvement one would have expected.

2020 is a hard season to evaluate just about everyone. The players missed the offseason workouts, and spring practices where much of the teaching takes place. By the time the season was back on schedule, teams were in full implementation of playbooks, and game plans.

Mr. Jackson also had four new linemen to work with. No other position group requires cohesion like the OL. Not making excuses, but that has an impact on individual play.

I think some team will evaluate him as a 2nd round prospect, and expect him to go within rounds 2 to 3.

Our 2020 class was loaded with quality offensive linemen, as does 2021.

The better the talent you recruit, the more you can expect early departures for the NFL.
I wish him nothing but the best, and think he will have a long career at the next level.

I would be very surprised if he even gets drafted

Jan 7, 2021, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

He certainly is as good as Hyatt was, and Hyatt wasn't drafted!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson lineman declares for the NFL draft ]

I feel like he played a little heavy most of his time here. Wish him luck.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:38 PM

Well, if he’s good next year; we’ll know where the problem is.

Jan 7, 2021, 7:03 AM

An OLine is more than one player. It must function as a unit. The current problem on the OL stems from 2 poor recruiting classes in a row. It is well outlined in an article by Anna Hickey on 247 yesterday.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like he just got here, we heard very little about him, and now he’s leaving.***

Jan 6, 2021, 9:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I feel like he just got here, we heard very little about him, and now he’s leaving.***

Jan 7, 2021, 2:56 AM

Same. I was shocked to see he was a junior. I thought for sure he was a Soph.

Hope he got a NFL Rds 1-2 grade

Jan 6, 2021, 9:41 PM

Before he made his decision

Jan 6, 2021, 9:42 PM

Best of luck, 79. Go eat on Sundays.

Now time for the Parks era, and it will be a glorious one.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:55 PM

Well good luck. Didn’t turn into the star I thought he would be but kept Trevor alive these past years so thanks

Jan 6, 2021, 10:00 PM

Best wishes in the NFL Jackson! Thanks for all your hard work and leadership as a Tiger. Gonna miss you on the OL.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:06 PM

Good luck Jackson. Thanks for choosing Clemson. Hopefully you'll star at the next level and help us recruit.

Question for the experts. Since he declared today, couldn't or shouldn't we try to get an offer to someone between now and official signing day?

If there isn't one we have in mind, would this not be a good opportunity to use the transfer and try to pick up a potential? Same as with dline that left... But I guess they technically didn't leave early.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 11:28 PM

Would be nice to add one more but this is probably how we landed Leigh.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:21 PM

Good luck to you big man! I’m pulling for you til the end of your NFL career.

Welcome to the 6th Round or UFA (Undrafted Free Agent)

Jan 6, 2021, 10:25 PM

I do wish him well. However, he was clearly better as a Sophmore compared to this year.

Carman never lived up to his potential

Jan 6, 2021, 10:32 PM

He was not disciplined enough and inconsistent. He may have been a nice guy and all but that alone doesn't help win games. Good luck to him because he's gonna need it i.m.o...

Jan 6, 2021, 10:36 PM

Wish you nothing but the best sir. Hopefully you’ll get drafted high.

I think with another year under his belt he would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I think this year he’s probably gonna go somewhere around third or fourth.

He came in very highly rated. His development worries me with future guys. He came in as a 5 star but will probably get drafted day 3. If I was a offensive lineman that would worry me. Hopefully I’m overreacting but only time will tell.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:33 PM

Bad move. He’s been inconsistent while showing flashes of excellence. Anther year would suit him well. I suspect he will be a 4th-6th round selection, if he’s lucky. He has been part of a poor line all season. Got killed against OSU. Good luck with NFL pros.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:36 PM

He had an outstanding sophomore season...

Completely declined this season...That’s 100% on his development which in turn is on...you guessed it...Robbie Caldwell...Why Dabo continues to intrust this dude with 5 stars is beyond me...We will #### Leigh away too...mark my words.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 6, 2021, 11:46 PM

Cant always blame the coach. I guarantee Robbie was in his ear everyday on what he needs to do to get better but for whatever reason he couldnt do it. Watch his tape from freshman to sophomore year, Robbie coached him up and he looked like the 5 star we expected to see. I think his junior year mistakes is all on him, not coaching.

He's A Tiger And I....

Jan 7, 2021, 12:28 AM

wish him well and a lot of luck. He got whiffed way to often in my opinion .

Personally I think he should've stayed for 1 more year

Jan 7, 2021, 12:41 AM

Don't think he's ready yet for next level but nevertheless, wish him the best & hope it will work out for him.

Re: Personally I think he should've stayed for 1 more year

Jan 7, 2021, 7:55 AM

There goes any chance for another winning season! What a dumb mistake!

Jan 7, 2021, 7:59 AM

I hope they see more from him than I did. He was adequate at times but many times was overmatched or just lost. Good Luck young man, hope you have a great career, work hard, listen to veterans andnever take anything for granted.

I understand that these guys want to chase their dreams

Jan 7, 2021, 8:09 AM

but shouldn't earning a college degree before leaving for the NFL also be a part of one's dream? If I'm not mistaken, Jackson Carmen has not earned his degree yet - at least he was not listed in the most recent graduation article on T-Net.

It feels like some of these young men enter into college with a mindset that because of their high recruit ranking (i.e. highly touted 5 star) that they must leave early for the NFL draft or else they have somehow not met an expectation.

I just wish some of these guys would value earning a degree more than their immediate desire to chase the NFL golden goose - especially when staying another year in college to earn their degree will in no way hurt their future NFL draft stock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I understand that these guys want to chase their dreams

Jan 7, 2021, 8:15 AM

I would have to think he was given a very favorable draft grade from scouts before making this decision. That said, even with what most of us perceive as a lack of improvement in his development, I still think another year would have benefited him. Speed rushers consistently beat him. Guys with good technique gave him trouble. So, yeah, sure, go to the next level, I'm sure they are not much better there, if better at all... Oh well, he does seem to be a good kid and I do hope it works out for him. In the end I truly dont feel all of the frustration many of us have felt is really on him.

There seems to be a contradiction in the NFL that never made

Jan 7, 2021, 9:45 AM [ in reply to I understand that these guys want to chase their dreams ]

sense to me, but it happens. If a kid was a 5 Star coming out of high school, he will get high draft consideration even if he totally underwhelmed in college. That would be the category I would put Carman in. He just never seemed to make the upperclassman jump in caliber of play that you would expect from someone with his obvious physical gifts. If he DOES go on to have a good NFL career, that says something about our O-Line coaching that is not complimentary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 8:24 AM

Wish him well but good luck.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:24 AM

Thank you for coming to Clemson good luck to you Jackson we so appreciate the hard work and sacrifices you put in and we wish you the best of luck.
You are forever a great tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 7, 2021, 9:07 AM

Never mind anyone's opinion of the guy, it's always better to stay in school unless you are a 1st or 2nd round pick. He's definitely not a 1st or 2nd round pick and probably isn't even drafted. If he makes a team, he will be fortunate and more likely he signs as a free agent and is cut. Then, he's out of football and doesn't have a degree to fall back on. It's not exactly rocket science, but people will argue with me all day long. It's really simple. You are rolling the dice that some NFL team will take you and you will make it at that level and then if you can't you out somewhere washing dishes.
Sometimes, I really don't like the NFL. All these kids grow up thinking making it to the NFL is easy and here comes the big bucks and stats indicate it's far from easy.
Somebody has already pointed out that Mitch Hyatt was much better and an All American, yet even he wasn't drafted and last I heard he was on a chump team's practice squad. Stay in school.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:24 AM

His statement on twitter is impressive and well stated. Wish him much success.

Re: Would be nice

Jan 7, 2021, 9:50 AM

to see a Clemson Offensive lineman make it in the NFL. Will have to see what happens to make a comment if he should have stayed for his Senior year. Not sure if these guys are getting all the growth process to make in the big stage.

Jan 7, 2021, 10:10 AM

I’m just here for the guys who are gonna pick the young man apart and question his work ethic. This has been become almost like a right of passage. The recruits see your foolish and over time it will start to affect whether they come to us or not because of stuff like this. Mark my word this day

Jan 7, 2021, 10:31 AM

I'm totally onboard with that. Whining about being one of the very best teams in the country year after year is not a good look. Sure, the OL did get dominated in 2 games this year, but I don't for a moment think any of us are smarter than Dabo and the coaches know even more about what's going on than any fan does.

Best of luck and Thanks for all you did for Clemson***

Jan 7, 2021, 11:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 12:33 PM

Talented young man at a marquis position. I expect Carman will have every opportunity to start in the NFL within his first 2 years, likely at RT to begin. Thanks for 3 great years at Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic