Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson drops multiple spots in Coaches Poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson drops multiple spots in Coaches Poll

Sep 30, 2018, 12:43 PM

Clemson drops multiple spots in Coaches Poll

Clemson's comeback win over Syracuse didn't win over coaches in this week's USA TODAY poll. The Tigers dropped two spots to No. 4 despite having two first-place Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson drops multiple spots in Coaches Poll

Sep 30, 2018, 12:53 PM

How in the HECK did USuCk get 6 votes???? Those people should have their right to vote revoked for life and be checked for some type of mental illness

if we keep winning we will be in the playoff

Sep 30, 2018, 12:55 PM

seeings our schedule though may only play one or two ranked teams..we cant afford to drop a game

I suspect the guys at the state paper are required to vote

Sep 30, 2018, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson drops multiple spots in Coaches Poll ]

for them.

And I'm being completely serious.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I suspect the guys at the state paper are required to vote

Sep 30, 2018, 2:20 PM

Here’s the Big Question... I counted 7 SEC school coaches on the list of voters...so, WHICH ONE DIDN’T VOTE FOR THE PECKERHEADS?, somebody’s gonna be in trouble with ESecPN!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But they beat Coastal Carolina and Vanderbilt!

Sep 30, 2018, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson drops multiple spots in Coaches Poll ]

We will give you a pass, you must have forgotten one of those victories.

Nothing Dominant Wins Can't Fix!

Sep 30, 2018, 2:04 PM

If we win in dominating fashion we will bounce back w/o a problem! This is all about style points!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprising

Sep 30, 2018, 12:55 PM

Get healthy and keep grinding … Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not surprising

Sep 30, 2018, 1:01 PM

Style points will matter this year. Everyone keeps saying if we are undefeated we're in. I'm not sure. We haven't looked good this year. Talent is getting us through. This team is kind of winning in a Tommy Bowden way. Just out talent the competition. We are gonna need some help from some of the undefeated teams. But winning out alone is not gonna be a lock.

It won't matter, the teams at the top will lose games

Sep 30, 2018, 1:06 PM

because they need to play each other. If we are undefeated, we are in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: It won't matter, the teams at the top will lose games

Sep 30, 2018, 1:15 PM

No. Bama, ND, Ok, OSU. That's 4. Alll will have 3+ top 25 wins and at least 1 top 10 win. Winning alone will not get us in. Not a guarantee anyway. Our conference is gonna screw us. Nothing we can do except win but it is cery possible that we are out in that scenario.

Nope.....ND Will Not Go In Over Undefeated Conf Champion

Sep 30, 2018, 1:46 PM

Bama's SOS is not great either

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame will lose. Their defense ranks #66 in yards

Sep 30, 2018, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: It won't matter, the teams at the top will lose games ]

allowed per game. They let Vandy put 420 yards of offense on them, and Wake was just two yards shy of 400 yards on Notre Dame. Forget Oklahoma, they had to go to OT to beat Army, who was leading the entire game. UGa is living on borrowed time as well, they lost a lot of playmakers on offense and defense from last year. They will lose at least two games.

The Pac 12 will not have a team, unless a one loss Oregon makes it in. The Big 12 has no guarantee, especially if your pick is Oklahoma (see above).

We returned as many or more starters than any of our 2017 CFP counterparts. All we need is to get TL healthy and Chase Brice some more reps, and we will be fine.

You realize the chances of 5 undefeated teams is nearly

Sep 30, 2018, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: It won't matter, the teams at the top will lose games ]

zero, right? It isn't going to happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Every year people act like there will be 4-6 undefeated teams...

Sep 30, 2018, 10:08 PM

And then maybe there is one by playoff time. But then they get amnesia and think it again the next year.

Oklahoma Still has to play Texas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Ok State, TCU, and a champ game.

OSU could maybe be undefeated, but have to play Michigan and MIch State plus champ game.

Bama plays LSU, Allbarn, and probably UGA.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're wrong!!! In the Tommy Bowden era we would

Sep 30, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Not surprising ]

have lost the game yesterday!

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're wrong!!! In the Tommy Bowden era we would

Sep 30, 2018, 9:56 PM

Absolutely without a doubt!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oregon loses a couple weeks ago and

Sep 30, 2018, 1:13 PM

drops one spot. Clemson WINS and DROPS 2 spots! Beats an undefeated team! Keep winning Tigers!

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

Message was edited by: smitty1959®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

agree what a high standard when you are expected

Sep 30, 2018, 1:37 PM

to beat undeveated teams 50 - 0 most times that isnt going to happen..other than fsu they hung more than 50 on every team they had played up to us..and that fsu game they won 30-7

Sep 30, 2018, 1:28 PM

Look at the history of the cfb and how many teams have been undefeated, The odds of four teams being undefeated ahead of us are almost null.

However, we have to quit playing in spurts and need complete games by all phases of the game.

Keep winning and we are in.

Win big and we will have a higher ranking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 1:31 PM

If it gives our guys a little more motivation then I'm all for it. I want our guys hungry to win it all, not just be given it by showing up like other teams. We all know that the team is better than the rankings. Looks like the guys are going to have to show all the sports guessers how wrong they were the hard way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Would Not Want To Enter The Playoffs

Sep 30, 2018, 1:36 PM

If we're simply not strong enough to win it all. We have 7 games remaining on our schedule to start to fire on all cylinders. If we reach our peak by game 8 or 9 then we're still in good shape. If Bama is destroying everyone and still has not reached their peak then we could be in for a beatdown from downtown. If we peak before the last two games I'd say we have a fair shot. Also, we would need to beat down our opponent in the ACCCG. The way it looks now, we'd be facing a Bama team that smells blood in the water, and that matchup would occur during the first round of the playoffs. I wouldn't want to go and repeat last season. I would love for us to go 15-0 though. For that to happen, Clemson needs to find cohesion, continuity, and development on the offensive side of the ball. They also need to clean up the chunk plays in pass coverage on our defense. If we do that then even the mighty Crimson Tide cannot defeat us even on their best day. Plain and simple, we need to start firing on all cylinders and developing into a peak performance. That could start taking place as early as this coming week against Wake.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

We can argue about what our Natty win % chance is now

Oct 1, 2018, 9:42 AM

but if you aren't even in the playoffs, it will always be 0%.

How can you possibly sit there and say you don't want to be in the playoffs? It's literally the only way to win a Natty or finish the season ranked in the top 4. Change you attitude, man. Going and losing in the semis every year is better than never going, 100% of the time. Because being there is the only way to have a chance. Remember we've been three times and only lost in the semis once.

Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing

Sep 30, 2018, 1:40 PM

already. If we win out, and Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State and any SEC team wins out.... they are in ahead of us, unless something changes dramatically with our SOS.

I will be pulling for Syracuse to win out. I will be pulling for Miami to win out. It's not our fault, but bad luck has made our schedule a liability.

Everyone who thinks that past seasons have anything to do with the playoff rankings are kidding themselves. They wipe the slate clean.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LMAO if they wiped the slate clean Bama wouldn't have gotten

Sep 30, 2018, 2:08 PM

in last year.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not necessarily. They had a top 4 strength of record, they

Sep 30, 2018, 2:21 PM

looked like one of the best 4 teams in the country to most people and they only had one loss.

The choice was obviously vindicated by the result.

SEC was musical chairs for a while so CFB committee took that into account. After the dust settled, Bama was one of the best 4 in the country. There was only one other 1 loss team... Wisconsin. Should Ohio State have gone instead? They had two losses.

There were plenty of reasons why they got in without factoring in any previous season, plus they say repeatedly and clearly, previous seasons have nothing to do with it.

They can say it all they want, if you don't believe

Sep 30, 2018, 2:30 PM

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma get extra consideration in that room due to past seasons I think you're a little naive.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no actual basis for that opinion.

Sep 30, 2018, 5:15 PM

You just start with an assumption, and it ends there.

Who else should have been in the playoffs other than Alabama last year?

A team with more losses, Wisconsin or Central Florida?

Because unless it's obvious to you that another team deserved it, you are being completely random with your theory.

Alabama needed help last year.

Sep 30, 2018, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing ]

If Wisconsin had won in the B1G, Alabama would’ve missed out.

We don’t need people to lose. Worst case scenario, with 5 undefeated teams, we still get in. No way Notre Dame gets in over us without a conference championship game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Alabama needed help last year.

Sep 30, 2018, 5:24 PM

I agree with you. I think ND not playing a conference title game really hurts the leprechauns.

Re: Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing

Sep 30, 2018, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing ]

Oklahoma ain't getting in over Clemson.

If they are undefeated and have a better SOS? Why?***

Sep 30, 2018, 10:06 PM

Sep 30, 2018, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing ]

Complete BS that the committee only pays attention to to this year. Last year Bama would not have gotten in if they had not won the NC two years before and was the runner up to us the previous year.

Make no mistake that the CFP committee does consider popularity, ratings, and market and use it as a tiebreaker even if they won't admit it.

The game we had against A&M was one of the highest rated prime time games ABC had in years and the Cuse game was the highest rated national noon game since 2016.

Lets face it. We play a lot of exciting games and there are going to be a lot of people tuning it hoping we lose. We were Cinderella in the past years but not anymore.

We need to win out since the ACC is having a down year but we win out and we are in. My guess is that only us and Bama go undefeated through the regular season.

Deanster

Two questions...

Sep 30, 2018, 10:13 PM

1. Do you have any actual evidence that they take previous season's into consideration?

2. Who should have gotten in instead of Bama last year?

Re: Two questions...

Sep 30, 2018, 10:21 PM

OSU two years ago (34-0) and Bama did not even make it to their championship game. Name any other team that lost their last regular season game, didn't make it to their championship games and still made it to the playoffs.

No, I don't have internal memos from the CFP committee but money is always a business decision and and make no mistake that this is a business to the networks.

There is no way we get left out if undefeated. We still possibly could make it in with one loss depending on what happens elsewhere. There is a whole lot of football left to be played!

Deanster

Sep 30, 2018, 11:58 PM

I noticed that you did not answer my 2nd question. Bama was the right choice based on 2017 season data. I am happy to entertain whatever opinion you may have about another team deserving that spot, but it sounds like you declined to answer for a good reason.

As for OSU two years ago...

They had one loss. Nobody outside the top 4 had one loss. Who should have gotten in except for them with 2 or 3 losses?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/collegefootballplayoff.sidearmsports.com/documents/2017/10/20/2016_Rankings.pdf

Oct 1, 2018, 9:36 AM

I think it is pretty obvious who, Wisconsin. They had 1 losses and it was in the B1G Championship, due to a one sided call on 2nd down. Holding was called on Wisconsin on about 40 - 35 yard line of 0hio St and the defensive holding/pass interference on Ohio St on the same play did not. Backed Wisconsin up completely out of FG range and made it 2nd and 20, which with Wisconsin missing their only deep play WR and exclusively targeting their TE was too much for them to overcome.

That is 1 loss in a Championship Game, with an identical type of strength of schedule Ws/Ls as Bama. Bama for sure got the Bama card and you know it.

It may be obvious to you, but that is debatable at best.

Oct 1, 2018, 12:15 PM

In most "experts" opinions, Alabama was clearly the better team.

Alabama had a better strength of schedule, a better strength of record, more elite wins, both had same number of losses and neither had a conference championship.

Alabama, to me, clearly looked like a better team than Wisconsin when it comes to the eye test. At BEST it is debatable, and that means it doesn't serve as any evidence of the committee using previous years in their decision, which is the primary point I am making here.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing ]

They say the slate is wiped clean, but is it really???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think so.***

Sep 30, 2018, 10:06 PM

Oct 1, 2018, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Like I keep saying, we are relying on other teams losing ]

"unless something changes dramatically with our SOS..." Yeah, like having Syracuse win out and finish in the top 15, and then playing a championship game against a top 10 Miami squad. Just relax. We've got this.

Yes, that could happen. But we may rely on it.***

Oct 1, 2018, 12:16 PM

Misleading headline

Sep 30, 2018, 2:04 PM

When I saw the headline, I thought we would be like 6th or something.

Me too - but I guess 2 is a multiple of 1***

Sep 30, 2018, 7:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 3:54 PM

Not totally unexpected. It's been obvious that ESPN, FOX, CBS and all the other sports analyst have gone anti-Clemson again. As far as the coaches poll, I wonder if Lou Holts still gets a vote? Any way, Herby (Mr. Ohio State from ESPN) needs to remember that OSU is only 1 point better than App State at the end of regulation. This is going to be interesting when Clemson and 3 other Power 5 schools are undefeated and Alabama has 1 loss. Who will the committee pick to be the 4 teams? I say the undefeated teams should get the nod and a 1 loss team is out. Then maybe Alabama will have to quit playing teams like Louisiana and Arkansas State. Of course they have no choice playing SEC powerhouses like Mississippi and Arkansas. Their SOS is no better if not worse than Clemson right now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 9:51 PM

With the coots receiving votes, it removes any kind of credibility for the coaches poll!!!

Seems very similar to two years ago - starting at #2 -

Oct 1, 2018, 10:48 AM

but falling to #5 after several weeks of less than stellar wins. Seeing as how we ascended to #1 before all said and done, this is a route I can totally dig.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic