Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

TNET: Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl?

Nov 29, 2018, 4:33 PM

Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl?

The general assumption for many Clemson fans - and college football fans across the country - is that a Clemson appearance in the College Football Playoff means Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl?

Nov 29, 2018, 4:42 PM

;)

Nov 29, 2018, 4:47 PM

That makes no sense. And I always have read that the #1 team gets to pick where it goes - now, they're saying it's up to the committee to place the teams?

Whatever.. I've already got flights and hotels lined up for Miami. If that were to happen, I guess I'll be spending NYE in Charleston. :-/

Nov 29, 2018, 4:51 PM

They have never said the #1 team picks, or at least no one who knew what they were talking about has said that.

We discussed this last year when fans wanted to go to the Rose Bowl instead of Sugar Bowl, and said Clemson should choose Rose.

The team doesn’t get to chose, and they never have. The way the article states is always how the CFP has worked.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 4:57 PM

Yes! Exactly right.

CM Shack. Read this article and these messages, and stop sharing wrong information.

If the team doesn't get preference, how did Bama get a

Nov 29, 2018, 5:06 PM

home game last year? They clearly stated they wouldn't give a geographic advantage to the lower seed...So HOW did it happen Einstein?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the team doesn't get preference, how did Bama get a

Nov 29, 2018, 5:09 PM

I can't explain it any more ways than have already been attempted. It's on the CFP website. It's in this article. It's explained by many intelligent fans' posts. You choose to ignore them all. I'm done with it.

Are you trying to sat they thought putting Bama in NO wasn't

Nov 29, 2018, 7:48 PM

giving the lower seed a geographic advantage?

Nov 29, 2018, 5:10 PM [ in reply to If the team doesn't get preference, how did Bama get a ]

the same reason Bama got Mich State.
the same reason Bama is going to get ND this year.
the same reason Bama even made it in last year.

e$$$ECpn has the broadcast rights. the CFP knows who butters their bread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That can't always be the answer***

Nov 29, 2018, 7:43 PM

It can if it is...

Nov 29, 2018, 9:05 PM

Did anyone truly believe Alabama was the fourth best team last year? They seeded them to get a chance at an all-SEC final, banking on the idea that it would draw ratings. Sadly for everyone outside of the favored conference, they were right and Bama/UGA did a huge number. So look for them to try that as often as possible. That's why people who think Alabama is out with a loss Saturday are wrong.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where would you have seeded them last year? I would have

Nov 29, 2018, 9:08 PM

been fine with them jumping OU, but the tinfoil hat crowd would have fallen out

Third at least.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:13 PM

One of the more confusing things for fans is that they claim to be selecting the four best teams, but then they seed them based on who was most deserving.

What's tinfoil hat about Clemson/OU, UGA/Bama?

Of course, Oklahoma would also have had home field in the Sugar Bowl.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It can if it is...

Nov 29, 2018, 10:35 PM [ in reply to It can if it is... ]

I boycotted it. Did not watch or want to watch. And that is bad considering the huge CFB fan I am.

Apparently it was a good game.

If you have to put 2 teams from the same conference in they must be required to play each other in the first round.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It can if it is...

Nov 30, 2018, 6:18 PM [ in reply to It can if it is... ]

Alabama is out if Oklahoma and/or Ohio state win their conference. There is no way they can justify putting Bama in over two conference champions

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 29, 2018, 5:13 PM [ in reply to If the team doesn't get preference, how did Bama get a ]

Clemson was the #1 seed last year and got sent to Sugar due to proximity. Even though Dabo wanted the Sugar, it was not because he chose it.

While it made Bama close to home, it would have been perceived as a disadvantage to Clemson, the #1 seed, to send them to California.

I hope this helps.

CM Shack

Then why wouldn't Bama/OU be in Dallas?***

Nov 29, 2018, 7:44 PM

Re: Then why wouldn't Bama/OU be in Dallas?***

Nov 29, 2018, 7:48 PM

Because OU is two hours from Dallas. Basically a home game for the #4 ranked team

Like Bama last year in the Sugar?***

Nov 29, 2018, 7:49 PM

Re: Then why wouldn't Bama/OU be in Dallas?***

Nov 29, 2018, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Then why wouldn't Bama/OU be in Dallas?*** ]

Because the other site is Miami and could also make sense.

That was not the case last year as the Rose Bowl was the other site. Bama would have taken the proximity advantage regardless of site.

It’s going to vary on a year by year basis due to sites and seedings.

I’m not sure why you’re so adamant about insisting that what the CFP says is wrong. You may not like it, but that doesn’t make it incorrect.

This is the way they pick the sites for teams. There is logic to it, but there are also variables that change that on a yearly basis. But this is the way they do it, and there is a logical reason for every site/team choice they’ve made since the CFP started.

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

I simply can't believe they thought putting them in the

Nov 29, 2018, 7:51 PM

Sugar last year wasn't an advantage for the lower seed

Re: I simply can't believe they thought putting them in the

Nov 29, 2018, 7:54 PM

It would have been a larger disadvantage to Clemson to make fans and team travel to California.

Bama was still going to be closer. Either way. It was the lesser of two evils.

Sites are set years in advance and that’s just the way the seeding worked out last year.

I’m not sure what you don’t get.

It's a 4 hour drive, that's their backyard***

Nov 29, 2018, 8:36 PM

Re: It's a 4 hour drive, that's their backyard***

Nov 29, 2018, 9:02 PM

Our team and fans would have traveled 4x as far if we went to the Rose Bowl last year, hoping to win and come back home to play for a National Title in Atlanta 6 days later.

And Bama still would have been closer and had less fatigue and more fan support.

If you can’t understand why last year worked the way it did and see beyond your burning desire to be mad at the CFP, Bama, ESPN, or whatever else...I can’t help you.

I'm not mad at anybody guy, don't project BS on me...I don't

Nov 29, 2018, 9:12 PM

see much difference between 2 hours and 4 hours distance when talking about advantage going to the lower seed...I can't understand why it wasn't an issue last year and it is this year and the difference is less than 120 minutes

Re: I'm not mad at anybody guy, don't project BS on me...I don't

Nov 29, 2018, 9:15 PM

Fair enough, I’ll take that back then. I just don’t see how you’re missing this..

Because last year the committee correctly assumed, as anyone in their right mind would, that the #1 team didn’t want to travel 4600 miles round trip for the playoff game when they could travel 1100 miles instead.

They why did we go to the Sugar last year? If flies DIRECTLY

Nov 29, 2018, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl? ]

in the face of your logic

Re: They why did we go to the Sugar last year? If flies DIRECTLY

Nov 30, 2018, 8:30 AM

You seem to have a hard time understanding that due to the predetermined locations of the games, sometimes the best they can do is give least amount of advantage possible...

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Ive already booked flights to FL as well.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl? ]

Definitely got ahead of myself.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Can the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl? ]

I understood it as you did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if oklahoma slips in i could very well see

Nov 29, 2018, 5:21 PM

them droping nd to four..bama vs nd would be a wet dream match up for ratings based on name alone..and clemson vs oklahoma or ohio state has built in revenge angles fro oklahoma and ohio state

ND gets dropped to #4

Nov 29, 2018, 5:41 PM

By virtue of not playing a 13th game. It's not complicated. They need to thank their Irish stars they aren't 4th going into this weekend. They aren't conference champs...presumably, the other three will be.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND gets dropped to #4

Nov 29, 2018, 6:06 PM

But that's not the only data point...they are undefeated, others aren't. They actually play defense, other's don't. They may drop to #4, but I'd personally be surprised.

Re: ND gets dropped to #4

Nov 29, 2018, 9:00 PM

Agreed. My $ says ND would remain at the 3 spot. Maybe I lose but I don't think so.??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if oklahoma slips in i could very well see

Nov 29, 2018, 7:50 PM [ in reply to if oklahoma slips in i could very well see ]

Agreed. I think that way Bama gets to play in Dallas and avoid OU.

Nov 29, 2018, 6:03 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but unless OU trounces UT, I don't see them overtaking an undefeated ND,....even though they would be Big 12 champs. Again, unless OU opens a can on Texas, I think most of the football ppl on the committee view OU's defense as very suspect for a championship team and will reward ND for being undefeated.

Now maybe Bama wants to play in Orange due to OUs proximity to Dallas---who knows. I do know Dabo (and me ; ) would prefer CLEM play in Miami. Dallas in December is a tough draw for fans who may have to go cross country a few days later. Miami is far too, but much more palatable for fans willing to spend the $$$ and go on two trips within 1.5 weeks of each other...JMHO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 6:06 PM

It doesn’t matter what Bama or any other team wants.

The teams have zero say in the matter.

Just want to make sure this is as clear as it can possibly be.

Nov 29, 2018, 6:09 PM

^^^Agreed..I worded that poorly. I'm just saying maybe as a way to reward the #1, they choose to send OU further away. I know this doesn't matter, but in my mind, Bama got favorable treatment last year. They were ranked 4 but no one wanted to play them first...and they got the shortest trip out of all teams

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I need to be a sportswriter. I told all of this possibility earlier this week***

Nov 29, 2018, 7:42 PM

Re: I need to be a sportswriter. I told all of this possibility earlier this week***

Nov 29, 2018, 10:38 PM

Hey Doctor, most people are familiar with this scenario, don’t pat yourself on the back too much.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama would not want OU in Dallas

Nov 29, 2018, 8:43 PM

I don't think it matters; bamer would still win. But, OU with their offense in a basically home game would not be ideal for bamer! It is 585 miles from Tuscaloosa to Dallas and 679 miles to Miami from Tuscaloosa. Not a big enough mileage gap to give the opponent a possible advantage! Bamer fans are likely saving their dough waiting for the championship game.

Plus, in anything, I want to be in Miami over Dallas personally anytime!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No Way ND gets moved.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:08 PM

ND I don't believe is as good as their record indicates. But, they did play ranked teams and beat them! I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure more than us, bamer, OSU and OU. In no way, shape or form could they get jumped.
Especially by a 1 loss team who has not played the same # of ranked opponents and who "don't have the ND fan base"! Good fan bases yes, but nothing like ND has. Bamer can't even say that; although every gamecock fan seems to be a tide fan now or this time of year the last few years, LOL!

When OU beats Te Jas - and bamer dispatches UGA back to the hedges; they will move OU up to #4. OSU would have to flam-bay Northwestern and hope OU looks like hot garbage in either winning - yes winning or losing to Texas. Where is NW ranked compared to TX? OU would have had the best win over the weekend!

Be interesting who would get kicked out if Georgia were to beat bamer? Opinions? Or would the committee still not let the actual SEC champ in b/c they got curbed stomped by LSU? No way, right?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ORANGE BOWL EITHER WAY?

Nov 29, 2018, 10:48 PM

Geography is a factor right ? #1 seed bowl
Site is closest to #1 ? #2 bowl seed site is closest to #2?

Re: ORANGE BOWL EITHER WAY?

Nov 30, 2018, 6:08 AM

Sites are not selected years in advance for the seeds. The article explains all that. Bama playing in the Sugar last year broke the rules because it gave the lower seeded team a geographic, conference state, advantage, exactly as they say shouldn't happen. If both had to travel thousands of miles to the Rose it would have been fairer.

Did you read?

Nov 30, 2018, 8:26 AM [ in reply to ORANGE BOWL EITHER WAY? ]

It's not about putting the #1 seed in the closest bowl, it's about not giving the #4 seed a geographical advantage over the #1 seed.

...which is PRECISELY what happened last year.***

Nov 30, 2018, 5:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 8:08 AM

Talk about a system that is rife for possible corruption...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think there's any way OK jumps an undefeated ND.***

Nov 30, 2018, 9:12 AM

Re: I don't think there's any way OK jumps an undefeated ND.***

Nov 30, 2018, 10:09 AM

If the Tigers go to the Cotton Bowl I may go. Much easier for me to get to than Miami. It will be at Jerry's World, right?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Nov 30, 2018, 3:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 30, 2018, 4:37 PM

So did that NOT apply last year when we had to play Bama in New Orleans?

Uh huh...***

Nov 30, 2018, 6:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2018, 6:15 PM

If Alabama wins, we win and Oklahoma wins I can see Oklahoma jumping ND still giving us the orange bowl, plus the media would love the Bama/Nd game

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic