Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Virginia head coach says Clemson defense is the "strongest version that I've seen"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,732

TNET: Virginia head coach says Clemson defense is the "strongest version that I've seen"

Dec 3, 2019, 8:01 AM

Virginia head coach says Clemson defense is the "strongest version that I've seen"

You can count University of Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall as a big of Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and the defense that Venables has created. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Virginia head coach says Clemson defense is the "strongest version that I've seen"

Dec 3, 2019, 8:08 AM

Proof read ????

Not only is that coach observant & knowledgable but he's...

Dec 3, 2019, 8:13 AM

110% right!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Virginia head coach says Clemson defense is the "strongest version that I've seen"

Dec 3, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Virginia head coach says Clemson defense is the "strongest version that I've seen" ]

That is something that I always mean to do (proofread) bc my thoughts always get way ahead of my two finger pecking typing skills. But it doesn't always work out that way :( But trust me when I say, I know some of the crap that I post, it reads as if I tried to encrypt it, but that's not the case, I just need to slow my thoughts to allow my two fingers to catch up!!! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 8:24 AM

Bet on this, he didn't just think about what he was saying about BV's D, he knew long before we knew who he would be facing in the ACCCG if they made it. And there has been some wrinkles thrown together in their Offence that BV has never seen before. It's games like this one against UVA coming up that shows how well BV can make in game adjustments. Every team we play have put together a few plays/wrinkles that BV hadn't seen in their film, and BV has made in game adjustments that has slam the door on every blindside that coaches has thrown at him, IN Brent Venables I do Trust!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 8:40 AM

He's so right - and he knows defense very well. The only way to beat Venables is to out-guess what he's doing, but even then, a team has to stop the penetration and gap soundness to beat the scheme and it's not often done.

You can beat our zone in the middle, but first you have to hold the pocket to do it and we push that pretty well. You might beat us once or twice a game, but that's about it.

The best I saw from UofSC was when they broke the long run against our 3-front. I saw it coming before the snap (and so did my friend sitting beside me), but it was the only time I sensed trouble before we got burned..... and we didn't get burned very much.

Venables is the best at defensive coaching and scheming I've seen in 60 years of playing and watching football. His schemes vary dramatically between opponents and individual plays, with multiple looks and disguised coverages - and pressure coming from anywhere and everywhere, while still covering the gaps. His pre-snap and post-snap red dog and blue dog blitz mixes are fantastic, often with a safety or nickel back filling a gap vacated by a twisting DT that shows a hole, but then closes it with a bang to the RB or QB.

All I can say to anyone who thinks they can beat that defense is..... Good luck with that!

Dec 3, 2019, 10:00 AM

I think that you're right, and I think that if an offensive plan has to depend on timing, BV will make that offence slow and inadequate!!! And that is why a good mobile QB that can be accurate 15-20 yards down field can sometimes cause problem for our D. Against the UVA QB, we will have to have a quick thinking spy that can cover a lot of ground in a very short time, and we know that will be none other than Simmons, and hopefully K'Von has one of the best games of his career bc our secondary will be taxed bc Perkins don't hang around in the back field for very long, he is out of there making plays with his feet and with his Arm. INHO, Perkins reminds me of DW4 when he takes off with the ball in his hands bc, he has ankle breaking moves, and he will hurdle over tacklers just as DW4 would do.

Jersey numbers that our D best not allow to get away, #3, #2, #4, #84 and #46, when in the game, those numbers are UVA's total offensive package IMO. #46 is a big TE that can catch the ball and get down field when his # is called. BV and our D will have their hands full, but Like us, UVA hasn't really played anybody except for ND probably the best team they played and lost to, playing against mediocre talent makes decent players look great....

Dec 3, 2019, 12:03 PM

I really will be interested in how we defend UVA against their hesitation read option. It's going to take extreme discipline to maintain gap integrity and proper spacing against that offense. We'll need moving feet in place and make them commit before we do. I'll be very interested to see if we can bull rush that offense without getting burned and if so, where and how we bring the pressure.

Dec 3, 2019, 8:57 AM

Wait till Bronco sees our D from the side line! ??

I assume Jordan Burch knows how he fits in

Dec 3, 2019, 10:25 AM

I hope he reads this article and realizes how well he would be utilized by Coach V. Clemson's D would be highlighted on every college football show, and it would increase their NFL stock. Just see what Coach V has done for and with Simmons and Kendrick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I assume Jordan Burch knows how he fits in

Dec 3, 2019, 11:32 AM

I have no doubt in BV's D, like I stated in an earlier post, In Brent Venables I Do Trust!!! But what I'm saying above is that our D better go into this game with their heads on a swivel bc UVA do have a few guys that mention, that can play a little FB. Number 46 is a 6'5" 250 pound TE that can go up and get the ball, and in the past not so long ago, we would have problems with good receiving TE's, just saying....

I can't believe I like BV even more now. Thanks Bronco.

Dec 3, 2019, 11:20 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 3:04 PM

Very good review from someone who is obviously a student of the game...however,

Beware! The “cheese” is strong in this one!

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,732
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic