Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Unpacking Sugar Bowl loss: Tigers will be talented in 2021, but there is work to do
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: Unpacking Sugar Bowl loss: Tigers will be talented in 2021, but there is work to do

Jan 4, 2021, 1:01 PM

Unpacking Sugar Bowl loss: Tigers will be talented in 2021, but there is work to do

Clemson will be loaded and talented in 2021, but if the Tigers are going to get back to the level of the 2016 and 2018 squads, there is work to do. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with this. The 2018 team was the gold standard and

Jan 4, 2021, 1:10 PM

I hate to even type this, but I'm not sure we will ever have a team that talented again. But you don't have to be that talented to win it all.

I think on defense this year, maybe Skalski would start over Trey Lamar?

2018:
DE - Ferrell
DT - Lawrence
DT - Wilkins
DE - Bryant
SAM - Simmons
MIKE - Lamar
WILL - Joseph
CB - Terrell
SS - Walllace
FS - Muse
CB - Mullins

Our WRs were: Higgins, Ross, Renfrow, Rogers

Re: Agree with this. The 2018 team was the gold standard and

Jan 4, 2021, 1:14 PM

we definitely need some War Daddies like 2018 on the D Line. Murphy and Bresee are a good start.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 4, 2021, 1:18 PM

Yes, sometimes you just need to be able to line up and play without all the games and last second moving around to cover bad spots and repeatedly got us caught off guard. Unfortunately it was the second play-off game in row where we got totally out-coached in that regard.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 2:44 AM [ in reply to Agree with this. The 2018 team was the gold standard and ]

I agree that 2018 team like the 1981 team were two of the best teams in College Football History . The 2016 team was one of the greatest on offense but just a little behind the other teams on defense .

Re: TNET: Unpacking Sugar Bowl loss: Tigers will be talented in 2021, but there is work to do

Jan 4, 2021, 1:17 PM

Thanks David. Bottom line, offensive line play has to improve and player leadership is
needed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Offensive run scheme needs to be revamped

Jan 4, 2021, 2:19 PM

We have talent on the o line but they are crippled by the scheme. We don’t allow them to go out and run block. It is a zone scheme so we aren’t blowing people off the ball and big nasties want to block down hill sometimes. We have to do that and be more creative in our run game. More powers, and traps and really let those o linemen pummel someone instead of just staying between them and the back. Just my two cents

Re: Offensive run scheme needs to be revamped

Jan 4, 2021, 3:58 PM

I think part of this is because we’re heavy into the RPO

We’re not really coming off the ball, just holding position. It would be nice to see more attacking plays. Zone blocking can be very aggressive, getting down hill onto linebackers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Unpacking Sugar Bowl loss: Tigers will be talented in 2021, but there is work to do

Jan 4, 2021, 3:29 PM

Good Analysis. My opinion, and just an opinion is that all season long the team lacked something. Not sure exactly what it was. In the ND championship game it looked like they got it back but with Ohio State something was missing, not taking anything away from Ohio State as they were for sure better on that night. Just a thought: Do we miss Jeff Scott? I'm sure that he and Tony worked great together and not taking anything away from Tony but it just seemed like things worked better with the 2 of them. On the defensive side, maybe teams have caught up with Venables. I saw it several times this year where the opponent would not show their offense until just before the snap, and then we would be running all over the field. Venables loves to get the last look, but maybe that needs to change going forward. Just some thoughts.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:30 PM

Agreed, think it was the VaTech game where they started using the “sugar huddle” and caught us several times. But they were just too outmatched to really take us out of our element consistently. I thought then that teams would take note and use that in the playoffs, and hoped CBV would take some time to evaluate it. Like it was said early, some part of this is the years of footage of his scheme and coaches are wising up. As much as i don’t care for Cryin Day’s antics, he’s a shrewd dude.

Dabo and Brent will study this and make changes, and we have some good guys coming up. Things are still bright ahead.

Roar Tigers

Jan 4, 2021, 3:53 PM

“Are they that much better than Clemson? Of course not.”

Fully prepared for the TDs to come, but I am from the Bill Parcells “you are who your record says you are school.” They are precisely that much better. If the point is 2021, I still disagree. I would say, highly unlikely, but that has yet to be proven.

Ohio State was a little better and..

Jan 4, 2021, 5:01 PM

A lot fresher than our Tigers.
Having said that, our O Line did not play to the standard all year. We need depth. These guys must be pushed and must get better. This is my biggest concern. We have recruited well here lately, let’s coach them up and see what we got.
Same with dL. We have some talent but no depth with injuries etc.
I know we will get better with hopefully more depth at WR. The guys did a remarkable job at DE and WR this year given the circumstances. Missed Foster and XT most of the year at DE. Missed Ross, Ngata and Ladson most of the year. That is tough on Murphy, Bresee and Williams playing that many snaps as a true freshman. I’m proud of them though!

Love my Tigers alway!

Jan 4, 2021, 5:14 PM

Thank you David. My son and I were talking and came to the conclusion that this squad is going to be special in 2 seasons. It reminded us of the Christian Wilkins/Big Dex group.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 9:49 PM

I'm just a guy who loves college football and especially my Tigers, but never played the game. So I don't know the in's and out's like so many who post here. But I appreciate this article David. I have a CU friend who asked me if this was the beginning of the end for CU football. With what little I know about the incoming class, and our known returning players, it was easy for me to still say that it is not. In 2018 we pummeled Alabama. The final score could have been worse (we ended the game inside their 10 yard line), and look at them mow. I fully expect this UA team to handle OSU fairly easily. I watched OSU play Northwestern and that team was totally different from the team we played. Just as the CU team that beat ND was different from the one that was lost on the field with OSU. I can only imagine how upset Dabo is right now, though he won't show it. He doesn't like to lose, and I really don't expect it to become a habit with his teams. One final point. I read a post recently that said that the ACC needs to get better. As a conference we got shut out in this bowl season. That does not speak well for the quality of opponent we are playing in the league, and we struggled to beat some of the ACC teams. We all know that we open with UGA this fall. I sure hope we have some answers for the questions left on the field in New Orleans. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 9:56 PM

Great story. The team that lost to Ohio State was the same team that won 10 games but against competition that would have also been dominated against Ohio State. Size, strength and speed count and we need help in all three of those areas and with dedication, good food and hard work we will get there. Better times are ahead when COVID is kicked out of our lives and better times are ahead for Clemson football this year. Go Tigers!

Jan 5, 2021, 3:39 AM

Ohio State 's schedule was tougher than ours ? We played Notre Dame twice , not Northwestern . We played Miami , BC and Pitt . OSU had the score from last year on their locker room wall and then Dabo adds fuel to their fire by ranking them #11 . I love Dabo but that was not the smartest thing to do when you are playing a team that has NEVER beaten you in 4 games . They caught us banged up but that doesn't matter we played really bad . We are still 4-1 against them and they don't need to crow too loud we beat them 31 -0 in the playoffs.

Jan 5, 2021, 12:15 AM

David Hood, I'm not an excuse kind of man, and I have never been. And I don't think that saying that OSU had a huge advantage coming in, and I really don't understand why no one hasn't talked about, that OSU was the much fresher team with "FAR" less bumps and bruises than a team gets from playing a 11 game season compared to a team that has only played 6 weak teams they played in their 6 games. If OSU had of played our schedule with playing ND in a double OT game, then play ND 3 games later right before they played us, we wouldn't have seen a OSU team nearly as fresh as those guys were, and that's not an excuse, that is cold hard FACTS that can't be denied!!!!

If the shoe was on the other, we would have crushed OcryO, and they wouldn't have scored the 28 on Clemson as we did them. They probably had been scheming and practicing their game plan against us a few weeks before the game was played bc, everybody on the planet figured the playoff committee was going to match Clemson/OcryO back up for the ratings!!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 3:13 AM

I agree with everything you said especially the line play . Games are won in the trenches and Dabo even said that in the on field interview right before the kickoff . Against LSU and Ohio State we got beat at the line of scrimmage . We couldn't open holes for Travis,... and Trevor was constantly fighting off tacklers in which he fumbled in both games . Second our secondary was torched in both games we just couldn't cover anybody especially their prime go to receiver like Jamarr Chase and their TEs . A lot of that was the lack of a consistent pass rush . Last we seem to STALL on offense at the wrong times in critical places in the games . The first quarters of both games we scored and the defense held which gave us the chance to go up by 14 but we stalled . I don't believe we use our TEs nearly enough which is what Alabama and OSU do quite effectively. We are young and Dabo always makes adjustments so I feel we will be back but the ACC is getting a lot tougher and we need to be able to play with fast scoring teams or improve our defense to the 2018, 1981 level .

Jan 5, 2021, 10:02 AM

Thanks for this story, I needed it! There is no doubt, much to look forward to next year. I do wonder about coaching changes. I honestly don't know much about the coaching staff other than the two coordinators and Streeter. I'm wondering if a change on the coaching staff at the offensive line might be considered. Dabo likes to be loyal but perhaps he can do some reassigning and find a proven successful offensive line coach within the college ranks?

Jan 5, 2021, 11:17 AM

Excellent article! Sounds like there is plenty of talent on this squad. Already excited about 2021!

Jan 5, 2021, 1:18 PM

Appreciate the article, your insights, and perspectives. Go Tigers. #AllIn

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic