Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Christian Wilkins left Clemson as one of most decorated defenders
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Christian Wilkins left Clemson as one of most decorated defenders

Jul 26, 2020, 3:01 PM

TigerNet Top-5: Christian Wilkins left Clemson as one of most decorated defenders

Christian Wilkins became just the second three-time, first-team All-American in school history as a leader on four Playoff teams and two national champions. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Christian Wilkins left Clemson as one of most decorated defenders

Jul 26, 2020, 3:11 PM

Man I love me some CW, but William Perry was a one of a kind specimen during his era. If we are talking about actual impact on the line during their Clemson careers, I don't see how CW beats out WP. Two to three men on every play still couldn't consistently stop The Fridge. His Legend is arguably still biggest among all of our former players. Maybe Brian Dawkins is better known. Just my two cents. Go Tigers!

Re: TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Christian Wilkins left Clemson as one of most decorated defenders

Jul 26, 2020, 3:16 PM

Seems to me that Brother MD had better numbers than William . Still galls me remembering how the ##### manhandled him . pushing him to the back of the endzone when they beat us at DV in'84 I think and Hold handed him the ball

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 3:23 PM

Never been a Tiger I enjoyed more than CW. And he enjoyed playing for the Tigers too!

Jul 26, 2020, 4:06 PM

Chester no honorable mention. Really enjoyed watching him play!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 5:55 PM

As an old guy, I loved watching The Fridge but as an old guy, Christian Wilkins was just a great example of what a student athlete should be. What an awesome group of D lineman and either way of Perry or Wilkins being #1 it is a win win for Tiger fans. Thanks for the memories and all the great wins.

Christian Wilkins is to me the pinnacle of the Clemson Man.

Jul 26, 2020, 6:27 PM

He displays every quality you could look for in a student athlete and a man. Very proud that he came to Clemson and I look forward to watching his post-NFL accomplishments.

null

Jul 26, 2020, 6:21 PM

Christian was the ultimate brand ambassador for CU. Great athlete, good student, tons of charisma. Cant top what he had on and off the field imo. WP was a monster on the field, hit well, I wouldn't say he has quite the academic swagger CW had lol. I have to admit I dont remember him much from CU, that's why I would have probably put MDP above WP, but honestly, its 2a vs 2b for me.

Jul 26, 2020, 6:38 PM

To me, based on both his on-field and off-field presence, Wilkins isn’t just the best DT in Clemson history, he’s the best Tiger ever.

I’ve done my best to avoid recency bias, but let’s take a look at it: not only was he arguably the best defensive lineman in the nation while he was at Clemson, in his sophomore season he cut weight and moved to defensive end because of injury issues with our roster and he was of All-American caliber there too! Off the field the stories have all been told: he was as good of an ambassador on & off campus that we could ask for. From being a substitute teacher, to requesting Deon Cain be his roommate after Cain’s marijuana suspension in hopes to keep him on the straight & narrow, Wilkins was everything we could have ever wanted from a Clemson player.

The cherry(s) on top: 4 seasons, 4 playoff appearances, 2 national championships.

To me, he’s the best we’ve ever had.

Jul 26, 2020, 9:01 PM

I have often thought that CW or DW4 were not only the best at their position, but maybe even the beat to ever put on a Tiger uniform. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other, as you have a blue chip player and ambassador with both.

Was expecting Chester McGlocton to be an honorable

Jul 26, 2020, 6:52 PM

mention. Not a top 5 to me, but one that was worth considering. A definite top 10. And considering how many great DT's Clemson has had, I had been hoping for a TOP 10 in each position, or at least at DT & DE.

Him as well as Jeff Bryant***

Jul 26, 2020, 9:04 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was expecting Chester McGlocton to be an honorable

Jul 26, 2020, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Was expecting Chester McGlocton to be an honorable ]

tigerfan40 said:

mention. Not a top 5 to me, but one that was worth considering. A definite top 10. And considering how many great DT's Clemson has had, I had been hoping for a TOP 10 in each position, or at least at DT & DE.

This is a position where it certainly could've been a top-10. McGlockton was first-team All-ACC in 1991 but all of the top-5 and fringe top-5 guys had a national first-team All-American honor too. He certainly went on to a standout NFL career but this ranking stops at the draft, where McGlockton was a first-round draftee too.

Re: Was expecting Chester McGlocton to be an honorable

Jul 26, 2020, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Was expecting Chester McGlocton to be an honorable ]

Chester was amazing when he wanted to be, but he didn't keep his feet on the gas every play. Christian did. He came back for a senior campaign, when he could have gone pro. He even saved some energy for when we scored offensive TDs.

And let's not forget, Wilkens was the guy who "wet Willy-ed" Dabo and did a split after the Natty. Now there's talent you just don't find every day...

Jul 26, 2020, 8:40 PM

I saw most of the games of all five guys listed here. I think Wilkins was the best on and off the field, though he faced stiff competition from all these star Clemson DTs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 12:24 PM

Wilkins and Fridge are two of may all time favorite Clemson players. Fridge was so dominant in Bears’ drills early in his pro career that Ditka could not let him hit and beat up other Bears in practice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic