Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Tiger fans "a little spoiled"? Clemson linebacker wonders after 18-point win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

TNET: Tiger fans "a little spoiled"? Clemson linebacker wonders after 18-point win

Oct 7, 2020, 1:01 PM

Tiger fans "a little spoiled"? Clemson linebacker wonders after 18-point win

Clemson fans a little spoiled? Maybe, according to linebacker James Skalski, who said he saw the chatter after the win over Virginia. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank the lowered Skalski doesn't read Tnet

Oct 7, 2020, 1:05 PM

during the games too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Thank the lowered Skalski doesn't read Tnet

Oct 7, 2020, 1:31 PM

But I bet that he does!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He can if he wants to. We always keep a laptop on the

Oct 7, 2020, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Thank the lowered Skalski doesn't read Tnet ]

sideline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Bock and Skalski both seemed a little out of sorts during their interview yesterday

Oct 7, 2020, 1:06 PM

I could tell some of the "chatter" was seen. They were jokingly discussing it.....but they did emphasize a couple of times that VA is a good team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truth is I am spoiled...

Oct 7, 2020, 1:16 PM

I always believe they are going to win. The doubt I used to have years ago has faded quite a bit.

Re: Truth is I am spoiled...

Oct 7, 2020, 1:41 PM

This may sound unreal, but I swear it's the truth, I've always thought we were going to find a way to win even when most said not a chance!!! If you don't believe that your team has a chance, you need to find a team that you can believe in, bc sports isn't any fun to watch sitting around and thinking that your team is going to lose. I even always felt that Clemson was going to get a coach one day that was going get us at the top, and look where we have been these past 5-6 years!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 2:20 PM

I think think you mean from the Dabo took over. The direction of the program changed the minute Dabo took over .

You must have forgotten about the 2010 season.

Oct 7, 2020, 2:43 PM

We were not a good team at all, and there was little reason for enthusiasm based on our performance on the field. Thankfully, Dabo made some key decision following that season and continued forward with his plan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You must have forgotten about the 2010 season.

Oct 8, 2020, 12:28 PM

You must have also forgotten the 2010 season.

Our best offensive player was hurt and missed almost half of the season.

Our second best offensive player got a minor injury and turned into a shell of himself for fear of getting hurt worse.

Our third best offensive player was just learning to play the game as a true freshman and wasn't ready to be a go-to WR.

Our defense that season was pretty strong, but with all of the offensive losses we couldn't ever give the defense the points or the field position they deserved.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Truth is I am spoiled... ]

No no, I have always been a Tiger fan from the first FB game I ever saw that was in DV 1962. I have alway been proud of being a Tiger fan since that day, even in the Tommy West days, and I learn that most college FB team had bad seasons, and my Tigers were having some bad seasons under West, but we had just went through the Ford days, and most of those days/years was good. When Bowden was hired, I told any and everybody that he would get us back to the good times again, and all the Bowden years wasn't that bad until that last season he was our HC starting out being ranked pretty high, and the bottom fell out after that Wake lost, and the Bama lost was atrocious. There has been some serious disappointments, but all in all, I've always been a proud Tiger fan that believe we would hit the big times again, and yes, I thought that Dabo was going to be that coach if he could somehow survive his HC in training years, and he did, and just look back on the ride he has taken us fans on. If it all ended today, it has been a H&11 of a ride that 90% of college FB has never been on, I love our Tigers, and I've always been proud to be a Clemson Tiger!!!!

Re: TNET: Tiger fans "a little spoiled"? Clemson linebacker wonders after 18-point win

Oct 7, 2020, 1:12 PM

When a dozen people continuously complain on a message board, it can give the impression that many feel the same way. Gotta realize that 12 whining idiots don’t represent the rest of the fan base.

Cash money

Oct 8, 2020, 8:10 AM

Wow. Where is the 100 TU button !!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson fans are spoiled....

Oct 7, 2020, 1:25 PM

and are buying into the false narrative that all of the teams in the league, except for Clemson, suck which is absolutely NOT the case.

When Clemson doesn't beat the crap out of everyone and/or cover large point spreads, folks get upset about it. Simply winning isn't always enough anymore.

Spoiled !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but when Clemson is repeatedly

Oct 7, 2020, 1:48 PM

favored by 3-5 TDs in these ACC games, it doesn't help disprove that narrative. And before you say that the lines are only based on public perception... well Clemson was 8-1 ATS in ACC games last year with the lone loss being the clunker up at UNC. If these other ACC teams were truly being underrated by the public, shouldn't they have performed better against the Tigers?

Maybe the league really is getting better in 2020. I think there are reasons to believe that it is. I like a lot of the recent coaching hires. But i think the ACC really was THAT BAD in 2018 and 2019 and the OOC results bear that out as well.

Clemson is an elite program...

Oct 7, 2020, 3:23 PM

and the standard other programs are trying to achieve.

Not many teams can claim elite status but that doesn't mean those other teams aren't really good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: TNET: Tiger fans "a little spoiled"? Clemson linebacker wonders after 18-point win

Oct 7, 2020, 1:26 PM

Point spread by Vegas is used to get roughly equal money on each side of bet. It isnt a predictor of score. Second this year has ben very disruptive practice and schedule wise. Teams havent gotten very dialed in and open dats seem to disrupt continuity and development. Our ranking insures we get everyone's attention and best shot. Va is a good tam and gave us lots to work on. I suspect we will look better in some of those areas this week

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This gets said a lot, and i can't really say i agree with it

Oct 7, 2020, 2:29 PM

"Point spread by Vegas is used to get roughly equal money on each side of bet. It isnt a predictor of score."

What happens if Vegas sets a bad line that gives too much value to one side? The really smart guys that bet on sports for a living swoop in and drop huge bets on that team and Vegas ends up with too much money on one side. So while it's true that Vegas wants fairly equal money on each side, it's also true that the best way to get even money on both sides is by setting a good line that is fairly predictive of the score.

Now i will say that it would not surprise me if Vegas juices the line just a little for these teams like Bama, Ohio State, Texas, ND, etc that have huge fan bases likely willing to bet on their team.

Oct 7, 2020, 1:40 PM

I don't see how anyone who reads this bored frequently, would take us too seriously as being representative of the Clemson fan base. Maybe representative of an insane asylum...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

I sure hope TNet is not reflective of our fan base.

Oct 7, 2020, 2:45 PM

If so, then our fan base is full of idiots. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nobody asked you Karen***

Oct 7, 2020, 2:53 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You seem to be missing the point of an online message board.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:02 PM

Opinions don't have to be solicited first. It's assumed that opinions will be shared by anyone who desires to do so.

HTH

Oct 7, 2020, 1:44 PM

David Pollack raised the same issue. It seems several national pundits, many spoiled fans, and even some local media need to take a step back and look at the big picture. When solid wins over capable opponents start to feel “almost like a loss” it’s probably time to look in the mirror and keep those thoughts inside your head.

WL

Oct 7, 2020, 1:47 PM

Maybe he is a little right...I know I felt like it was a B+ effort, but UVa will win 8 games and we are really young on defense and its really early and it has been one weird year with covid/no fans etc....combine all that to say we aren't in CFP ready state yet, but I have no doubt we will be when the time comes. Tigers 45 Miami 17 this weekend.

Oct 7, 2020, 1:52 PM

While I do agree as a fan base we have been spoiled over the last few years it doesn’t mean that some concerns aren’t valid. The entire team seemed a little distracted Saturday. Tackles were missed, seemed like there were some communication issues on Defense, passes were dropped, and many penalties were called that this team rarely make. Now I will say I tend to over react at times but that doesn’t mean some points aren’t correct. At the end of the day the people who Clemson needs to impress most is the Playoff Committee. As long as they’re in the Final 4 at the end of the years then there’s a chance to win another Championship.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 4:21 PM

speaking of tackles missed , is that what it is or is etn just too good to go down ?

Oct 7, 2020, 6:16 PM

Nope those are missed tackles too. ETN takes advantage of them just like any great player will.
I personally don’t think UVA has any great players on it but they did take advantage of what they got/had. I do think the huge WR that’s a true freshman could be great though.

Are we spoiled?

Oct 7, 2020, 1:59 PM

Well, yes! We’re Tiger fans. Even when our
Tigers weren’t winning, we still got to be Clemson Tigers. Frank Howard, Danny Ford and now Dabo. Tailgating in the most wonderful place on Saturday afternoons in the fall. “Our boys” running down the hill at Death Valley. Winning at an unprecedented rate could spoil us... but we were spoiled already.

Oct 7, 2020, 2:08 PM

I am getting the idea that Swinney may be the real deal. Gonna give him 3 more years before I decide!

S/

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Oct 7, 2020, 3:09 PM

Don’t be too hasty. LOL

Oct 7, 2020, 2:35 PM

JUST MY OPINION ,but I don't think we are spoiled at all .However what I saw Saturday was a team playing down to the level of the competition, which has been an issue in the past.
Had that been LSU, the score would have been much worse than the Championship game last January. In that game LSU was clearly better. When we beat Bama the previous year we were clearly better.
But Saturday night we looked sloppy ,especially in the first half.And especially on defense.
We can not do that against Miami.
No ,we are not spoiled, but Saturday night's performance against Virginia won't get you back to the National Championship against better competition. Miami, and Notre Dame will be much tougher competition.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:14 PM

Let me ask you a question?

I'm not saying there aren't things the defense or the team need to improved on. Obviously, we do. As far as I can remember Clemson always starts out the gate a little slow.

But back to my question??? I know this is a hypothetical, but if Clemson had gone in to halftime with the score being 24-3 and only given up 111 total yards on defense would you say the same thing?

I say that by saying if you take out 1 bad series of 3 PLAYS. That is what the defense gave up in the 1st half. I know they gave up 3 bad pass plays in a row which resulted in a TD, but it's not like the game was on the line. It's early in the season and these are kids.

Also, for that matter the last TD that UVA scored was a trash time TD against our 3rd string, so also hypothetical but consider the game being 41-10 and giving up 270 total yards, if Dabo didn't have his policy of developing players. Some times you have to look at the situation and if that development means they make a stop in a big game later on in the season it's worth it.

It's less about the score.....

Oct 7, 2020, 2:41 PM

and more about our weakness that could cause a future L.

I do trust our coaches to get it fixed. They have earned that trust and have proved it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the truth is somewhere in between

Oct 7, 2020, 2:43 PM

He's right. We are used to having players who are

Oct 7, 2020, 2:50 PM

laser focused on doing their jobs, while minimizing outside distractions.

We aren't accustomed to our players being outspoken social justice warriors. When they don't play as well as we hope, we are left to wonder if they are more worried about their next "woke" tweet or the word they put on their jersey, rather than playing the game they are on scholarship to play.

With that said, no one should be upset about our performance against UVA. We clearly dominated them and the outcome was never in doubt.

P.S. I hope Skalski realizes that they are spoiled as players, too. They enjoy the best facilities in the nation, best coaches in the nation, and a rabid fan base that shows up consistently. They also get an excellent education. All of this for FREE simply because they play football.

They don't practice 16 hours a day, six days a week.

Oct 7, 2020, 4:30 PM

Wondering if a tweet or a jersey is the reason they're not playing well is simply laughable. People seriously think these kids don't do anything but play and practice football. Sorry, but they are also human beings with classes to attend and lives to lead. They're free to have voices and opinions, and they have the time to express them. And Skalski only commented on the "fans' standard" thing because Anna Hickey from Clemson247 asked him about it; he doesn't really care about what our idiot fans think when his pads are on.

And let's address "all this for FREE because they simply play football." Simply??? You say that like anybody can do what they do, when the truth is these guys are pinnacles of physical strength, speed and skill, and perform competitive contests for which there is enormous demand. They earn what they get, and because Clemson is awesome, what they get is awesome. But they still earn it.

Re: They don't practice 16 hours a day, six days a week.

Oct 7, 2020, 8:44 PM

Good point! There are schools that are football factories, but we aren't one of those. And I'm hearing that more work is being assigned through online classes than the students would have had any other year for the same course.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:12 PM

I always love these articles, pretty sure Coach V wasn't happy with performance, not just the fans, the coaches expect better play, but its not like any said we suck or even that we weren't going to beat Miami back to the bush league. I guess we should all get our pom poms out,

Oct 7, 2020, 3:29 PM

Hey I been listening to & watching Clemson football for over 65 years & I never dreamed to live to see what I've seen the last 10 years. I also know Dabo & staff have forgotten more football than I'll ever know. That said I do have opinions & I can see. There were some breakdowns on defense & offense. I heard players & coaches mention being "inconsistent". This is a relatively young team. Ross & Thomas being out has got to hurt. Still an 18 point conference win speaks to the heart of a team given all of the above. My faith in this staff & team is unwavering. This is one old, perhaps a bit spoiled, Tiger who is so thankful for the living to witness the best years of Tiger football. And the best is yet to come!

GO TIGERS !!!

Oct 7, 2020, 3:49 PM

I agree Ray. I admit to being a little spoiled but I also think my Tigers should be good enough even this early in the season to be able to tackle and block. That is rather elementary, or should be, to a team accustomed to winning championships. Allowing visiting teams to just fly down the field and score in a minute is very “undeath valley” like. I didn’t see the fire I’m accustomed to seeing from the Tigers. You will never convince me that any group of Clemson players can’t score against the Citadel but I saw it with my own eyes. Something is missing and I hope we find it before 7:30 Saturday night!

The ones that come on here and ##### and moan..

Oct 7, 2020, 3:52 PM

Are here on Saturday... And disappear like farts in the wind afterwards...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ones that come on here and ##### and moan..

Oct 7, 2020, 3:56 PM

Where will you be sitting Saturday.

Re: The ones that come on here and ##### and moan..

Oct 7, 2020, 4:29 PM [ in reply to The ones that come on here and ##### and moan.. ]

If we lose to Miami this board would lose it like we were 2-10 and we had major problems.....lol

We haven’t lost much and our ability to handle a regular season loss has to be at an all time low.

What would we do, every coot, LSU, Miami, FSU, GT and Bama fan would find their Tigernet accounts to help us in our misery!

We better not lose ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

A “little” spoiled???

Oct 7, 2020, 4:29 PM

C’mon man! We’re a LOT spoiled. It feels good though.

Hey, look, Hood stirring it up with players again about

Oct 7, 2020, 5:20 PM

all those ungrateful fans! How very unusual.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 5:35 PM

There may be a few whiners, but in my circle of friends we felt UVA was a good team and a good win. Did we play perfect no, but it was a very good win over a quality opponent. UVA only lost to Florida by one TD in the Orange Bowl last year. Most think Florida is 2nd best team in SEC. I know it is a different year, but UVA is building a good program not declining.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 6:17 PM

Skalski is correct. When beating any opponent by 18 isn’t enough, expectations may be too high. You cannot achieve perfection every week. We didn’t this week, but still beat a decent team by almost three TD’s. Good grief. I remember the seasons trying to figure out if we still had a chance to win our division. Yes, we are spoiled.

H%ll 2 da Yeah. . . . we spoiled! But,

Oct 7, 2020, 6:55 PM

Skalski is on point with Tigers fans being a bit spoiled. But, like allorangeallthetime said, "90% of college football fan bases have never and will never experience the ride we have been on recently/now"!

I was a kid in 1981 watching the Tigers beat powerful Nebraska! We beat the 800 lb. gorilla of CFB at the time on the field and to me - we have been a blue blood ever since! No, not to the rest of the country, but we had other outstanding seasons that did not end in National Titles! We had some lean years for sure - but win, lose, tie - I am supporting the Tigers! Niece is there now and LOL, "just sent more cash app last weekend"!
As a Marine overseas when the Ohio and Texas Marines or Sailors would be claiming Buckeyes or Longhorns - I was claiming Clemson. These folks knew enough about Clemson not to try and "go there" with me. Clemson had enough respect that they couldn't treat us like we were say, "Wake Forrest" in football.

I am spoiled with the recent success - because I recall the lean years so vividly! I am also a realist and know, "it won't be like this forever"!
As has been stated - "If it ends today - nobody can ever take away the Ride the Clemson University Football Team has been on for the last 5-7 years"! Nobody can!
Even during the Tajh Boyd years where we couldn't beat u of suc we were garnering National attention and finishing in the top 15. I love how we got there - we weren't Oregon and had a offense no one had caught up to yet and won a bunch of games! No, it was playing two or more SEC opponents a season at times and competing well or winning! And, it was gradual, built for the long run.

I am thankful for players like Skalski the most! Because they come to Clemson and develop to even better football players because they are made of the right stuff! It's more than football and if you were to run into men 20-30-40 years from now - they will all but guaranteed still talking about how much more they learned from being in the Clemson program outside of football!
Very proud Tiger fan always! That is spoiled a bit - because why not enjoy it! I just don't criticize or expect blow outs.
I learn the opponent and figure out "what we learned from tight games"! The UVA game is only going to be a thing to look by the end of the season you can say, "helped make the team better"! With UVA's experienced OL and a savvy QB - and us missing our best interior lineman - the game wasn't a blowout(it was kind of). People look at SEC scores against another SEC team and base criticism off that i.m.o. They go - if they beat them by 21 we should beat an ACC team by 42! Flawed logic that gives too much credit to the SEC school and not enough to the ACC school.
I don't do it - and I really wish people would stop doing it. But, it happens every year! Like Dabo says, "the reason we can compete against the LSU, Alabama, Georgia's is because our conference has conditioned us to play them"! Virginia size/weight is just as big or bigger than SEC OL(look it up and get back at me if you doubt that). And probably more experienced. We good ya'll! And we are going to be good!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo acknowledging he does not play to win games big ...

Oct 7, 2020, 7:42 PM

He plays to win big games. That's what is so counterintuitive about outsiders viewing Clemson. The ACC talent level drives Coach Swinney to manufacture impediments -- this and Swinney's propensity to play benchwarmers drives Clemson's stats far below what they could be (impacting individual awards). And it is also what prepares Clemson to compete with the out of conference big boys. Clemson and Dabo are very good for each other but can be challenging and frustrating to understand from the outside.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 8:04 AM

A little spoiled? That's like saying those folks on "My 600 Pound Life" are a little overweight.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic